Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

So. What to do with You? [Probable M]

Started by DragonSong, October 16, 2018, 12:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

When they reached the tent again, Addie was already there, straightening up a few of the pillows and shimmery curtains that draped the place. When she heard footsteps approaching, she turned with a smile and started, "Papa, I was just--"

When it was the boy-- Rhyske-- she found holding open the tent flap, she snapped her mouth shut, going stiff. Her eyes tracked the strange woman that followed him warily, then flickered to the Ringmaster.

"Sorry," she said tersely. "I didn't realize you'd be bringing back...guests."

Viserian sighed and rubbed at the bridge of his nose before crossing to pat his daughter's shoulder. "Forgive me, Addie. I must deal with this business. If you could--"

"I'm going," the acrobat replied softly, turning on her heel and heading for the entrance to the tent. She paused a moment as she passed Rhyske, eyes looking him over coldly. Then she ducked her head and continued on her way.

The Ringmaster sighed again, leaning back to half-perch on his desk. He chuckled and shrugged at Rubiyah. "Kids." Clearing his throat, he ran a hand through his hair and continued, much more business-like, "To answer your question, I'd like to discuss a...contract of sorts, my lady."

Paladienne

Rhyske glowered at Addie right back as the girl swept past him, scowling at her back even when she was gone. He entered the tent after his mother and let the flap fall closed. Rubiyah sat in the closest chair and continued to tear into her meal as the Ringmaster talked, and Rhyske could see the wheels turning in her mind. They rarely did so, which meant that she was in one of her rare moods of clarity and reasoning.

At the mention of a contract, Rubiyah looked at Viserian sharply. "A contract? Of sorts? There aren't 'contract of sorts'. There are contracts and there are agreements. It's either one or the other. Which shall it be? What are the terms? I've already told you that neither of us are for sale. Therefore, what is it that you have to offer? What is that you have to entice me to agree to your proposal?"

Rhyske kept silent, watching his mother and Viserian both. He didn't know what the Ringmaster was trying to do, what he was trying to get at. A contract? What did that mean? Rhyske didn't know and wasn't sure he wanted to know. But, at the same time, he was curious. Because if the contract was going to provide them with a permanent home and food and a stable environment, Rhyske hoped his mother would quiet and listen, and he hoped that she would accept, if the terms were agreeable.

DragonSong

Viserian raised his hands peaceably. "I say of sorts because it is not a contract as most might think of it, a document I may whip out and lord over you at a moment's notice. It would be an exchange of words between us, words that would bind us both by our honor."

He glanced at Rhyske, and suddenly winked. "Such as it is. I think everyone in this tent can admit to a bit of swindling in their time, yes?"

Paladienne

Rhyske flushed, but Rubiyah didn't notice. Or, if she did, she didn't care. Ever since he'd been old enough to take care of himself, he'd been taking care of her, too, and as long as her needs were met, his mother often didn't care what he did, or what happened to him. This time, though, her attention was focused on Viserian for the longest time, the food in her lap forgotten for the moment. She raised a brow at the man, then returned her attention to the food, using her fingers to pick it apart as delicately as one might pick a flower.

"An exchange of words means little in this world. Meanings are not always what you'd think them to be." She looked up at him again and licked some grease off her fingers. "But you're an interesting fellow. Quite the charmer, as well. Very well, I'll listen. What is that you have to say? What is it that will entice me to sign our names to this paperless contract?"

DragonSong

"I can give you a home, my lady." The Ringmaster looked from the woman to her son, allowing that to sink in a moment. It wasn't an uncommon claim for a carnival-- but there was some sort of weight to Viserian's voice when he said it that was...strangely powerful. Looking back to Rubiyah, he continued, "For as long or as short as you want it, the carnival can be your haven. I am not a charity, I do not offer room and board for nothing, but your son has proven himself quick with his hands and tongue, and a soul of surprising integrity. I would gladly offer you both a place here in exchange for his work in Cirque du Fantasma."

His eyes flickered back to Rhyske, looking him up and down. "Should he be so inclined to take the offer, of course."

Paladienne

Rubiyah scowled a little as she focused on her son, who quickly went stiff, uncertain which side of his mother he was dealing with. Rhyske watched her carefully, seeing the wheels turn in her eyes and wondering which of her brains was in control here - the loving mother who wanted only the best for her son, the raving madwoman who caused an infinite amount of destruction, the helpless girl who needed assistance for every little thing, or the selfish, self-absorbed drunkard who cared nothing for anyone besides herself - and wondering what answer she would give Viserian. Rhyske knew his mother was likely to choose the best answer for herself rather than him, but she had surprised him on a few occasions.

Now seemed to be like one of those times.

"A home, you say?" Rubiyah said at last, turning her gaze upon the Ringmaster. "A home, bought and paid for by my son's quick fingers? And his work would pay for the both of us, I assume?"

Rhyske held his breath. If his mother agreed, Rhyske would gladly sign any contract Viserian put before him. The one thing in his entire life he'd wanted more than anything was a home, and if the Ringmaster was willing to give him and his mother a home here, where all Rhyske would have to do would be to do what he'd always done, then there was little choice, was there?

DragonSong

"Yes." The Ringmaster's face and voice softened further. "Yes, a home. And your place would be earned by Rhyske's talents."

He glanced to the boy again and smiled gently. "Though I wouldn't expect him to limit himself to just pickpocketing. We've plenty of quick fingers among our workers, and more than one of them would be happy to teach him sleight-of-hand for showmanship, I'm sure. If you're interested."

The last was directed at Rhyske specifically, making it clear that this was as much his decision as his mother's.

Paladienne

Rubiyah glanced at her son and then back to Viserian. She pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes, as if she were falling deep in thought. Rhyske watched her, almost afraid that she was going to reject the Ringmaster's offer out of hand. It wouldn't be the first time she'd done so, and it wouldn't be the last.

Rhyske shifted to stand closer to his mother, and she angled her head to look at him, as if she were trying to decipher what it was he wanted without actually asking him. Her pursed lips spread out into a thin line, until the pink color had almost turned white. Her eyes narrowed even more, until Rhyske wasn't sure that she could even see him anymore, as her eyes were little more than slits hidden by thick, dark lashes.

"Mom," Rhyske said softly, "I want to do this. I want to learn to do more than just lift wallets. And, think about it. You'd never have to travel again. You'd never have to worry about food again, or a place to put your head at night. Think about it. Please?"

Rubiyah was silent for a long time. She turned her head away from her son and focused elsewhere in the tent, her gaze drifting from point to point without rhyme or reason. Rhyske stood by, watching. He didn't know if she'd gone off into her own world or if she was seriously thinking of what he'd said. Rhyske wanted to stay. He'd been traveling for so long that finally having the chance of a home was a strong incentive, almost addicting. He was afraid that she would make him choose, and as much as he would hate hurting her, Rhyske was almost certain that, for once, he would choose his wants over hers.

Finally, Rubiyah shifted and looked toward Viserian, her gaze somewhat steely. "You're serious? This would be our home? No one would run us off? No one would force us? No one would take my baby away from me?" She lifted a hand to her mouth and began to chew on her thumbnail. "My baby would be safe?"

"Yes, Mother," Rhyske said softly. "We'd be safe. I will keep you safe, I promised before, remember? I'll keep you safe."

Rubiyah looked at Rhyske for a heartbeat before returning her gaze to the Ringmaster. "If what you say is true, then we accept your offer."

DragonSong

Viserian grinned, flashing fangs. "Excellent. I'll go get someone to show you where you can stay. Would you two mind waiting here?"

He looked from mother to son, one eyebrow arched slightly.

Paladienne

"We'll wait here," Rhyske answered, seeing as his mother had already turned her attention back to the plate in her lap. He tried to offer Viserian a smile. "Once her mind is made up, there's hardly any changing it, so... we'll wait."

He looked at his mother then, wondering at last if she'd truly wanted to stay here, or if she'd agreed for his sake. He hoped it was the former, but even if it had been the latter, then she had had one of her rare moments of clarity where she'd thought of him before herself. Rhyske returned his gaze to the Ringmaster and nodded.

"This is going to be our home now," Rhyske said. "So... it's best to make sure we know where we're going than to just wander around lost, right?"

DragonSong

"Exactly right, lad," Vis said with a crooked grin, reaching out to ruffle the young man's hair. "I'll go see who's free to show you two around." And maybe check up on Snake while he was at it. Judging by Addie's rather cold reception of their newest member, he assumed the contortionist had suffered a right beating at the hands of those toffs.

When the Ringmaster returned several minutes later, it was with two colorful performers trailing after him-- the couple who had come to investigate the commotion earlier, the man holding his silver and gold flute loosely in one hand and the woman twisting and untwisting her hair from a series of braids even as she walked and chattered.

"'Lo! My name's Elea," she introduced herself cheerfully. "This is my husband, Myst. Vis here says you're gonna be staying with us? That's wonderful! We're on break right now, so we can show you around!"

Paladienne

Rhyske hesitated as the woman, Elea, introduced herself and her husband. He'd never been exposed to such enthusiasm before, and it threw him for a heartbeat. But, ever the survivor, Rhyske quickly recovered and grinned at Elea and Myst, offering his hand to shake.

"What he says is true!" Rhyske said brightly, grinning from ear to ear. "We're staying. I'm Rhyske, and this is my mother, Rubiyah. Don't mind her so much if she doesn't acknowledge you or look at you or talk to you, or whatever else. She's got her moods."

He moved toward his mother then, gently putting his hand on her shoulder. "Mother? It's time to go now. These nice people are going to show us where we're going to be living from now on. Doesn't that sound nice?"

Rhyske did his best not to react when his mother stared blankly at him and only held her plate of food closer to her chest. Wherever she was, she wasn't returning any time soon, so he gently pulled her to her feet and looped an arm around her waist, not so much supporting her as being able to better guide her as they walked. In this state, Rhyske knew, she was more like a life-size doll, and needed extra attention to ensure her safety.

Once she was settled, Rhyske looked at Elea and Myst and smiled. "Okay, we're ready. Lead on."

DragonSong

Elea and Myst exchanged a quick look when the mother seemed to just...disconnect. Rhyske moved and spoke as though this was a normal occurrence, and outwardly the musicians didn't react much, but that single glance spoke volumes between them.

"Well, since we travel around a lot, we try to keep to a general layout, but depending on the space where we set up that's not always possible," Elea jumped right in when Rhyske said they were ready. "So we can try to show you where everything is now, but we'll be on the road again at the end of the week and next time we set up it might be a bit different, you understand?"

"I'm sure he gets the idea," Viserian chuckled as he began to usher them all out of the tent. "Go on, go on. I'll be walking the grounds until our show this evening, it shouldn't be hard to find me if you need something." And with that, he closed the tent behind them, a puff of incense following in their wake.

Elea was already chattering about where they should go first, but her husband cut her off with a gentle hand on her shoulder. Looking to the two newcomers, he murmured, "Would it be best if we showed you to the personal tents first? We can find a place for you to stay, and perhaps your mother can lay down."

Paladienne

Rhyske smiled, nodding. Knowing where everything was, generally, would help him navigate, especially if things were arranged in relatively the same pattern. He could find landmarks easily enough, and recognize shapes and symbols to mean one thing or another. If he learned that, for example, the fortune teller's tent was right next to the illusionist's tent, then he could infer that the juggler's tent would be nearby. Rhyske had always been good with directions and visual signals, and could easily find his way from point A to point B without getting lost, but a circus was much different from a city where there were always recognizable points.

When they suggested taking him and his mother to the personal tents first, Rhyske hesitated. "Is there one available?" he asked, his voice soft. He didn't want to leave his mother with some stranger, because she might not react well to that. But if they already had a tent set aside for them - and with Viserian's abilities, Rhyske wouldn't be surprised if they did - then he'd agree to leave her behind, especially in the state she was in. She'd cause no harm to herself. "I don't want to impose on anyone if there isn't some place for us to stay. She doesn't react well to strangers when she thinks they're... you know. Unwelcome."

DragonSong

"Oh, I'm sure Vis has something set up by now!" Elea enthused. "Here, it's just this way."

They lead Rhyske and his mother through the winding labyrinth of tents, pointing out how one could tell which were entertainment and which were other offered services-- such as Mira's fortune-telling-- by the color of the flags that hung by the entrances and fluttered from the tops.

The personal tents, where the carnival members lived, ate, and slept, were clustered toward the back of the grounds, and significantly smaller than the rest. While a few of the entertainers chose to sleep in their entertaining tents-- again, Mira was mentioned-- most liked the bit of respite that the slightly separated personals provided.

Just beyond those tents, the animals were kept in a series of medium-sized, portable round pens. For the most part they seemed to be beasts of burden: mostly horses and oxen, the odd mule or donkey scattered through the small herd. Perhaps of note though was the smallish pack of riding dogs. The massive canines had clustered beneath nearby trees, panting lightly as they relaxed in the shade.

"Li will have to trim them soon," Myst noted blithely. Elea nodded.

"We've been heading further south, poor things. Ah, here we are!"

She stopped outside one of the smaller personal tents. While most of them were brightly colored, with little bobs and decorations added to the canvas to personalize them, this one was a plain cream, and seemed a little newer than the rest. It looked about big enough to comfortably fit two people, though not for anything beyond sleep and perhaps meals.

Paladienne

Rhyske stared at everything as Elea and Myst led him and his mother through the circus proper. He listened to everything they said, wondering if maybe by the way they spoke of this Mira that she was a rather odd duck for doing what she did, but then, he hadn't yet met one person in this place who wasn't odd in their own way.

As they cleared the entertainment tents, Rhyske focused almost immediately on the animals. He knew the horses and oxen, the mules and donkeys, even the few chickens and sheep and goats that wandered through calling and braying and generally making noise. When he saw the riding dogs, he almost stopped. He'd never seen creatures like that before, and was almost curious enough to go over and introduce himself to the animals, if only so he could touch them. He knew better than that, though. They were dogs - whether they could be ridden or not - and he knew how to interact with dogs. Better to ask permission than beg for forgiveness. He was sure, in time, he might be able to pet one, but for now, it was better to stick close to his guides and make sure they reached their destination with minimal incidents.

He wondered if he might be able to care for the animals as part of his duties. He interacted better with them than he did with people, and a circus could always use another person who could corral and wrangle the animals without causing them undue harm and injury. He didn't voice the opinion, though. He was sure that Viserian had some plan for him, and he really didn't want to mess up the Ringmaster's plans. But, eventually, he might ask about a change of venue.

When Elea stopped outside a small cream-colored tent, Rhyske realized that this tent was meant for him and his mother. He hesitated for a heartbeat before he moved to pull the tent flap aside and usher his mother inside.

While the tent itself wasn't furnished with personal effects and things like that - they had few, after all, and everything they owned, Rhyske carried with him - there were two bedrolls and a small table with a pair of chairs near the back of the tent. Rhyske was no stranger to sleeping on the ground, and he supposed having the bedroll was better than having nothing at all. He also found a pile of pillows and blankets, and decided they had either been donated by the others in the circus or they'd been pulled out of storage for their use.

He settled his mother in one of the chairs, then busied himself making a bed for her. He rolled out the padding, then layered several blankets on top of it. He added a number of pillows, both for her head, and as a barrier against the tent's wall to prevent her from rolling out that way. Then he rose and moved to stand by her side, reaching out to cup her shoulder.

"I made the bed for you, Mother," Rhyske said, knowing she could hear him even if she wasn't paying attention to him. "You should try to get some sleep when you're done eating. I'm going with Elea and Myst, but you'll be safe here. Don't worry. I'll be back in a little while."

He waited for a response, an indication that she understood, but Rubiyah remained as passive as ever. Rhyske held in a sigh, then left the tent to rejoin his guides.

"All right," he said, giving the two of them the best smile he could, "she's settled. I'm ready to go."

DragonSong

Elea and her husband waited politely outside while Rhyske got his mother settled. The curious looks from their fellow carnival members were waved off with smiles and shrugs-- it wouldn't be the first time that a long stop in one place resulted in picking up a new carnie or two. They would all get the full story later around dinner, or perhaps after their first show that evening.

When the lad reappeared, Elea smiled at him brightly and beckoned with a hand, her other hand tucked into the crook of Myst's arm. "Excellent. And you just let someone know if she needs anything-- I'm sure Vis will be more than happy to make sure she's comfortable."

"Speaking of the Ringmaster," Myst noted blithely, and he nodded back toward the direction of the performing tents. "We'd best get back to him and ask exactly what he's got planned for the newbie."

"Oh, there's no need to rush!" Elea beamed and squeezed her husband's arm lightly. "We're just supposed to help the lad get his bearings for a while, after all, and Vis will be busy with setting up for the show. What would you like to see?"

The last question was rather abruptly directed at Rhyske. Without waiting for an answer, Elea continued, "We can show you to the mess, or the practice areas-- I guess you've already seen the inside of the main tent, but we could give you a proper tour of that as well. Oh, or we could just make the rounds with the crowds?"

No sooner had the words left her lips when a distant wave of sound seem to roll in from the farthest tents, probably a new batch of carnival-goers.

As though heralded by the noise, a young woman with jet black hair and crimson eyes darted back through the personal tents, making her way toward the animals' pens. Her shoulders were hunched, eyes fixed on the ground as she hurried on her way.

Paladienne

Rhyske blinked at being addressed so suddenly. His mouth opened as if to answer, then then he shut it again. What did he want to see? He'd never really been to a carnival before, let alone one he was going to be living with for the foreseeable future. He'd never really had a chance to have fun. To be a kid. He'd always been looking out for himself and for his mother, since she'd taken a turn for the worse the moment he'd been able to feed himself. It was like their roles had suddenly been reversed - he was now the parent, while she was the child.

"I don't... I don't know." Rhyske began. "I guess... everything? I've never really... gotten to do anything like this before, you know? I..."

He paused as the wave of sound rolled through, his sensitive ears picking up the sound easily. His head automatically turned toward the sound, his blue eyes widening a little. Never had he heard such a sound before, a sound filled with amazement and laughter and joy. Usually when he heard loud sounds, it was yelling or cursing or a combination of the two. Then his eyes fell on the girl as she darted through the tents, and his curiosity grew. He pointed her out to Elea and Myst.

"Who's she?"

DragonSong

"Her?" Myst followed his eyes, then shrugged. "That's Li. She's new-- well, new-ish. Been here with her brother for a few months now."

"Poor little thing," Elea tutted and frowned, as though she wasn't just barely seven or so years the girl's senior. "Won't talk about home much, either of them. Of course, none of us really do, so it's not all that odd. But the way she used to jump if you accidentally snuck up on her..." Her frown deepened.

"Sweetheart," Myst cut in meaningfully.

Seeming to realize she might have said too much, Elea suddenly flushed and hurried on, "Oh, but she's a sweet thing, isn't she? Has one of the strongest beastspeaking gifts I've ever even heard of, let alone seen, so she mostly works with the animals, y'see."

"Her brother is security," her husband added. "You might have seen him earlier, after that...little incident."

"Well, anyway!" Brushing swiftly passed the topic of Snake's assault, Elea shot Rhyske a smile and said, "If you wanna see everything, we should start somewhere! You'll probably need a few weeks to really absorb it all, but if you're just dying to see a certain act or something, we can start there."

Paladienne

Rhyske stared after Li for a moment, then looked toward Elea and Myst again. He had to admit, he'd never been around any adults like them before. He hadn't really been around any adults, period. At least those who were kind to him. The only interactions he'd had with anyone remotely possibly older than him - in maturity, at least, if not in years - was when he'd been caught stealing, grifting, or otherwise thieving in order to survive and get enough money to feed himself and his mother. He wasn't used to being the center of attention. He wasn't used to any of this, if he had to be truthful. He really wasn't sure what to do first, but he realized that they weren't going to answer prying questions about others. He'd heard the warning in Myst's voice when he stopped Elea from talking more in depth about Li and Li's brother and Rhyske had decided not to pry into anything that might be personal.

He knew how it felt to be talked about behind his back. And he knew that some stories could only be told by those who owned those stories, rather than others who'd heard second hand.

Rhyske gave Elea an unsure-but-game smile and said, "I guess... maybe... we could start at the front and work our way back? I've never been to a circus before. I've never really... been able to do anything like this. I've always..." He trailed off as he looked toward his tent. "I've always taken care of what needs to be taken care of. I don't..." Rhyske fell silent again, feeling embarrassed and inadequate.

There were very few time Rhyske felt like a child, and this was one of them. His dark cheeks darkened even more as he flushed, and he looked away from the couple. "I don't really know what would be best." he admitted.