Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A bear and her boy

Started by Anonymous, April 19, 2006, 01:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Suddenly there was a large crack and two hands gripped the tree trunks, soon a huge head popped out in between. Nyxhe was right in front of it and she backed against a tree trunk. Bjorn just hoped that she would keep her guard and her hand steady. It was hard enough for him and moon to protect themselves against an ogre let alone for them to try and save her. Not that they wouldn't try, but it would just make things difficult. She finally got off of the tree trunk and walked over to them, and considering how scared she looked her hand was still steady.

Bjorn didn't even notice the flowers until he noticed Nyxhe staring at something and looked. Now that was odd, an ogre wanting to look pretty. Maybe it's just misunderstood like bears. People always think that they'll attack them, maybe there's no difference. Even as he thought it he knew there was nothing he could do about it. He wouldn't attack untill it tried to attack one of them, but he couldn't exactly put his guard down and let it attack them either. So he stayed in a ready position in case it did attack although in his mind he was listing all of the animals that humans stupidly fear, and finding it less and less likely that the ogre had to be harmfull. Don't get him wrong though certain one's of every species are violent includeing humans, but that also doesn't mean that they all are. He could feel moon shift as she began to stop growling though there was still a slight rumble in her throat. He wouldn't turn around for fear of the ogre striking when he wasn't looking, but he could hear Moon sniff the air. He wondered what Moon was thinking but most of all he wondered how someone with a nose like her's could stand that smell. Honestly he wasn't surprised that one of them didn't pass out by now. Even so he just breathed through his mouth and tried to concentrate completely on the Ogre's moves.

Anonymous

Heavy lids blinked, filming two dark brown eyes with a new layer of moisture. Somehow the rough and threatening features managed to convey a look of surprise as well. Perhaps the lack of frightened shrieks and yells, was new to the ogre. Whether or not deliberate, the bulky creature wriggled through the gap between the two tree trunks. If the muscle packed colossus hadn't been so big it might even have looked rather funny.

Nyxhe licked her lips in anticipation and managed not to flince when the huge form emerged onto the path. Eeuuww, it looks horrendous. The young woman started to count the boils, scars and  humps that littered the ogre's body. Strangely enough the counting exercise restored more and more of her usually calmness. It's not unlike counting sheep before bed, she thought. Unsure about the events laying ahead of them and noticing the still very heroic stance of her companions, she kept her gun levelled at the stinking hulk before them.

The uncertainty that seemed to grip the three companions also ruled the mind of the ogre. It looked curiously at the rather odd group. Seeing no threat whatsoever, it barked a high pitched grunt. With her eyes firmly on the trio, she awaited a response. Again twigs and branches cracked and broke under the advance of some large soles. Moving a great deal quicker than the first ogre, a scatter of four younglings crossed the road. With the flower bearing creature standing guard, only glimpses could be caught of the cubs.

Nyxhe felt a thin smile curl up to envelop her soft lips. It's a family! Immediatly the grin was wiped from her face as she remembered her own family. Some she missed very much, whilst she wished others only a painful demise. Although confident that the mother-ogre - Is she the mother, then? - wouldn't attack them, she kept her musket pointed at her. She didn't want to be considered soft and careless by her newfound friends after all.

Anonymous

Soon the Ogre was out from behind it's hidden tree and none of them threatened each other, though all of them looked curious. Soon Bjorn even noticed that Moonlight had stopped growling but was looking in a different direction. He looked and noticed cubs behind the mother ogre. By now he had given up all hope in convincing himself to stay away from the ogre and in a fighting stance. He even saw Nyxhe's mouth curl into a smile though she kept her gun pointed at it. Realizing that he was doing the same thing with his knife he slpwly lowered the blade and smiled at the Ogre mother trying to be more friendly.

He always put to much trust in animals and to little trust in people, even the ogre was getting used to them much faster than he would have. He didn't even know why Nyxhe and him had gotten along so well, not that they had even talked that much, but he still liked her. SO did Moon but that wasn't to odd though. Moon is just very trusting of everyone, and everything.

Even as he thought it Bjorn could feel Moon cautiosly walking over to the ogre though it was huge in size comparison to her. Suddenly Bjorns grip on the handle tightened, he had to be ready just incase it went after Moon. Just incase.

Anonymous

Within a few blinks of her eye the ogrelings had crossed the road behind their mother. Although it would be unlikely that the large ogre would attack, the fact that it probably could move at similar speeds as her cubs did caution Nyxhe.

And then Moonlight carefully cantered forward. The petite woman was of mind to swing the long barrel of her musket in her way to stop her, but she would have been too late anyway. Glancing at Bjorn, she urgently whispered: "What is she doing. She's not threatening, but still a mother and her litter!" The whiteness of the tall man's knuckles testified to a certain amount of worry in his mind as well.

The black bear did not seemed to be aware of any danger at all. Nyxhe nervously shuffled her feet and could only watch what was about to unfold. Moon's attitute of caution mixed with her natural playfulness seemed to go down well with the protective mother. A huge toothy grin appeared on the hideous face. Then, at the edge of an invisible circle, a massive hand shot out and softly but firmly scuffed the bears floppy ear. Although it looked more like a loving mother scoffing her naughty child than a menacing move, there still was a lot of force behind it.

Nyxhe's jaw dropped agape. Stupid bear! Before that thought was formulated properly the smelly ogre crashed through the undergrowth after her cubs. It was gone even before the short tumble she'd send Moonlight off in ended. The black bear rolled over twice before coming to a sudden sprawling halt.

Anonymous

In a matter of seconds the ogre cubs had run across the road, and he wondered how something so big could run so fast, but dismissed it as un-important when Moon began to walk out in front of the ogre. His fist clenched on his once again raised blade and his knuckles were turning white from the pressure. If he would have been paying attention he would have noticed Nyxhe's worry, but as it was right now all he was concentrating on was Moon. Then he heard her whisper to him, and when she finished he said in a depressed voice, because he did blame himself, "I know, but It's no use trying to stop her now. We'd most likely just spook the mother."

A grin appeared on the mothers face so she didn't appear to be angry at Moonlight, but then again he wasn't about to stop worrying over a smile. Suddenly as Moon inched her way foward she seemed to tresspass on invisable limits, and the ogre's hand slapped Moon across the ear. Altough it seemed that the ogre wasn't trying to really hurt Moon and only meant to warn her, any hit from an ogre could easily kill her.

Bjorns breath was held the whole time, and when Moons body crashed against the ground he could feel his whole life collapse. Moon was his life, what would he do without her? There was nothing. His trance broke though as the ogre ran after her kids, and for a second he was going to chase after her, but in a last split second decision turned and ran towards Moon.

She was unconsious, but he could feel her pulse. She was still alive. Then he began searching her body for broken bones, and found that her one front paw was broken, and it seemed like she had fractured a few ribs. What could he do for her? There weren't many docture's who would heal a bears broken bones. That's when it came to him, he had to go to Anita. She's the only one who'd even consider takeing care of Moonlight. Although Moon was small for a black bear she was still alot for him to carry, but he would do it. His face set and had an angry look to it he turned to Nyxhe saying, "She's alive, but her front paws broken, and I think a few ribs are fractured. We have to go to see an old friend of mine to get her taken care of. You don't have to come, but I have to find the closest boat leaving."

It's so odd how when something happens to someone you love that everything changes inside you. There all that you think about, and right now all he was thinking about was Moonlight. Bjorn's usually relaxed expression was tense, and his normally carefree behavior was strict and serious. He didn't look like himself, even his eye's had lost there fun-loving sheen. He was only one thing right now, and that was a mixture of sorrow and guilt. The only thing driving him on was the hope that he could get Moon to Anita in time. Soon he was lifting Moon onto his back and he took one short look at Nyxhe before continueing on there walk, though at a much faster pase even with the heavey bear on his back.

Anonymous

Only a breath seperated her arrival at the furry, limp form from Bjorn's. Not sure what to do, she just watched as he assessed the damage done by the ogre. It didn't look good. But perhaps the fact that Moonlight's candle had briefly been extinguished, added a bit of drama to the whole event. As Nyxhe was clenching her hands in anticipation, Bjorn finally voiced his findings.
Quote"She's alive, but her front paws broken, and I think a few ribs are fractured. We have to go to see an old friend of mine to get her taken care of. You don't have to come, but I have to find the closest boat leaving."

It's worse than I thought, then, shot through her naked skull. Uncertain and more than a bit rattled by the events, the young woman scratched her head. Feelings of guilt, desperation and loneliness battled it out on her face and in her heart. Perhaps if I hadn't held them up, Moon might still be all right... Maybe I should leave them... Nothing but bad luck to everyone around me. First gran'da, now Moonlight. A heavy lump of resentment and misplaced guilt settled in Nyxhe's throat. The forlorn look on Bjorn's face didn't help either. One thing she was absolutely sure of; she wouldn't let him haul his friend alone.

A flash of intelligence crashed through her rather emotional thought storm. Faintly she remembered a triangular stretcher used behind horses. As Bjorn heaved the heavy bear on his back, she said: "Wait, wait! I've got a better idea. She's too heavy, you'll tire within miles." With a fierce swoop she released her heavy knife. Determination rode her face as she started too attack a nearby sapling. Within seconds the young, but sturdy wood gave way and fell to the ground. Soon two more followed it. Stripping the bark of them, Nyhe started to construct a makeshift stretcher.

Although she didn't have much hands on experience, her natural intelligence served her well. As she was slaving over the construction she added: "In a few moments we can drag her together. That should speed things up. Well, as long as we keep to the road."

Anonymous

Nyxhe also looked rattled by what had happened to Moon. Once Bjorn picked up Moon he could feel the extra wieght crashing down on him but he had to do it, there was no other option. These thoughts were barely there before Nyxhe told him to wait and started hacking of branches of a sapling. At first he was antsy and didn't want to stop, but he also knew that Nyxhe was right, he'd tire soon after they started. So he put Moon down and watched her creation taking form, suddenly he realized what she was doing. He had seen these in towns before, doctures used them to move the sick that couldn't walk. Bjorn said to Nyxhe with a bit of awe in his voice, "Your a genious."

As Nyxhe was constructing she said to him that they should be able to drag her together, and that they should stick to the road. Bjorn took this to say that she was staying, and that brightened his mood just a fraction. How could he have let that happen to Moonlight. Trying to distract his thoughts he looked back at Nyxhe saying, "Do you want me to help you with that?" Bjorn started to feel bad that he was just sitting here while she did all of the work.

Before she could answer him though he walked over and grabed a piece of wood that she had choped down earlier and began to peel off the bark. He gave Nyxhe a small smile as a thank you for doing all of this for us, but it turned out looking a bit sad still. He hoped she would understand because he just wanted to get Moonlight to Anita, he wasn't to concerned about much else right now. So helping her he waited for there creation to form so that they could move on.

OOC: Sorry that this post isn't that good but I'm out the door right now. The next one will be better I promise. Oh, and do you want to magically end up in the other city or should we search for someone who plays a captain?

Anonymous

(OOC: No worries! Hmm, depends on how long it would take us... To find a ready cappy that is. One way or the other, it probably wouldn't make much of a diference. Still, perhaps posting a note might help some other player to some fun. Couldn't hoard it all to ourselves, could we now.  :wink: )

IC:
The help offered by the clearly distraught Bjorn, dwindled construction time even more, and within a few more minutes a sturdy, wooden frame stood ready. In an effort to lift the young man's spirits a bit, she grinned. "Thanks, that should do. Let's roll her on it carefully." Actions followed her words and after placing the stretcher next to the wounded bear, she started to roll the bulky patient over very gently.

After that job, Nyxhe looked over at her companion. Mindful of his haste she walked over to the front of the stretcher and grabbed one of the handles. With a rousing glance, she waited for him to join her. Poor, old thing! He must be filled with anxiety and worry. She wondered whether her recently discovered magical abilities where merely lethal and dangerous.

Perhaps the power could be used to heal as well. As Nyxhe had lived in a kingdom devoid of magic whole her life, she didn't find answers to her own questions. Added to that, the idea of using the magic that had damned her, destroyed her life and caused the death of her grandfather didn't appeal to her at all. Perhaps, if she'd known if she could use it to cure, she might have employed it's power anyway, but there just was no way to be sure.

Anonymous

There construction didn't take long at all with both of them working on it, and soon they had a stretcher. Nyxhe began rolling Moon onto it, so he immediatly began to help her knowing how heavy Moonlight could be. She must have been aware that he was upset, worried, and in a hurry becasue once that task was done she started to lift the stretcher. All of this seemed to happen in more of a trance to Bjorn. He was being blinded by his grief for his long time friend, and best companion. He would have cried if he hadn't thought that it would slow them down. So instead he swallowed his tears and began to walk down the path, his eye's looking like distant voids as he stared off into space as if a ship would suddenly appear before him.

OOC: Sorry it's been so long, but I've been swamped seeing as it's the end of the school year. Oh, and I'm sorry it's short to, but I'm on my way to school and have to leave in like five minutes.

One of us should post something in the echoes of the future board to find someone with a ship captain charry. I'll be on more often now, hope you weren't too bored while I was gone.