Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Accidental Crimes [M][DragonSong]

Started by Lowen Thorn, July 29, 2019, 08:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

@DragonSong

Professor Aspen Helm let the warmth of the chair's leather cushions and the pitter patter of raindrops from the window doze him into undeniable comfort. Sitting with good posture, one leg crossed over the other, he sipped on a particularly delicious cup of hot tea served in a mug carved from mahogany.

He loved a good rainy day. There was something impossible about it that just brought a smile to his face. The smell. The sounds. Being blind from an early age, rain was all about the sounds. He could hear each raindrop fall individually, each unique in their own landing.

He had just given a lecture on primal magic, and how he utilizes his other senses to to make up his lack of sight. Sure, some subject matter with primal magic could be a touchy subject, but sexual ritual often garnered a lot of oohs, ahhs, and giggles from the younger students interested in learning more about the craft.

He finished his tea. Every last drop. The taste was especially satisfying on this soft, rainy day. When he was done, and feeling all-too-comfortable and lazy to sit up from the chair, he moved his right hand up slightly, and the mug floated through the air and found its way to the dirty dish pile in the lounge.

He heard the footsteps before the door even swung open. "Good afternoon," he said, not sure of who is company was today. "Beautiful weather we're having, don't you agree?"

DragonSong

"Oh, you know me." Idara Vesrin all but sauntered into her colleague's office, making her way across the room to lean her hip against the desk and glancing out the window at the rain. "I love a good rainy day."

It wasn't even a platitude; though ice was her real strength in magic, it stemmed from an affinity for water. She preferred snow, really, but the rain was nice.

The woman tapped her fingers lightly against the wood of his desk, head tilted slightly as she watched the water streak down the glass. "...You notice the stranger in your lecture today?" she asked after a few moments. That was why she'd really come to talk to him, after all; unauthorized students were a serious business.

"She was too old to be a student," she continued. "Mid twenties, maybe. Sat near the back. Irritated little thing. You didn't say anything?"

Lowen Thorn

"Hi, Idara."

Aspen greeted his colleague with a warm, inviting smile, face pointed not at her but in the general direction of her voice. At her question, he smirked a little, and pointed at his eyes. "..Notice someone?" he teased. He knew that she knew that he did in fact notice the stranger, and he never had trouble identifying when someone was or wasn't present in his classroom.

"Yeah, I noticed the woman, and no, I did not say anything," he said, shrugging a little. "I figured if she was in my lecture, she must have wanted to learn something today.. though, based on her reaction I don't think she got quite what she came for."

Leaned against the chair was the man's cane, and he soon wrapped his fingers around the top of it, standing easily enough with its aid. "Why do you ask?" he inquired.

DragonSong

Idara shrugged. "She never got proper clearance to sit in on a lecture. Even passing mages have to get cleared, you know that. And by the time anyone realized she wasn't supposed to be there, she'd left."

She tilted her head at him and quirked one eyebrow--a habit, she knew he couldn't see it. "So. If you noticed anything odd about her, now would be the time to say so."

Lowen Thorn

He smiled again. He really loved Idara. She was like the big sister he never had, or that he never wanted. He reached his hand out so she could take it in her own.

"Very crafty. Very bright. Very skilled. Skilled enough to get into the classroom and out without really drawing eyes from anyone, present company excluded," he said. "She was here to learn about Necromancy, so that's why she was so irritated. I don't teach Necromancy. Awful, horrible stuff, raising the dead."

He shrugged again, a slight frown - one from overthinking - poking at his lips. "Probably a mercenary sent to kill me," he teased. "You know I'm a wanted man in just about every country."

DragonSong

The moon elf snorted and reached over to ruffled his hair. She honestly couldn't help herself around him, sometimes.

"Dork," she huffed with another roll of her eyes. Her expression sobered quickly though and she sighed, pushing off of his desk. "Alright. I'll have to tell the dean." She made for the door, then paused and looked back over her shoulder, brow furrowed.

"How'd you know she was hear about necromancy anyhow? I thought you didn't talk to her."

Lowen Thorn

He touched his left earlobe with the tip of his finger. "I have great hearing," he replied. "I heard all of her complaints."

Aspen placed a hand on her shoulder as he slowly brushed past her, the click clack of his cane slapping the ground as he walked. "Well, I have another appointment," he said. "I assume we're still on for lunch tomorrow? I'll be there a little early this time. If I don't show, assume the worst."

He didn't wait for a response to his joke before he began down the hall.

DragonSong

"Right, I'll assume you've stayed up too late and fallen asleep reading again," Idara quipped in reply with a soft chuckle and a shake of her head as she followed him out of the office. She turned to head for her own quarters; unlike Aspen, she lived on campus, mostly for the ease of getting to and from eight different lectures a week.

Not too far from Wyrdwood Academy, the young necromancer in question found herself once more at a dead end. She'd already headed back to the inn where she'd been staying, an old map unrolled on the bed in front of her as she tried to plan her next move.

Lowen Thorn

Rain was refreshing. Each drop it's own pioneer yet working together. It was soothing just as much as it was refreshing, but the smells that wafted into his nose told him its delicacy was soon to turn into a downpour. He picked up his pace just a little bit.

As he turned the corner, he could hear a whispered argument from a group of men a little ways off. One argued that it was wrong to rob a blind man, another argued that that's exactly why they should do it - an easy target.

Not today, boys, he thought desperately as he tightened the grip of his pointed cane.

If Aspen was anything, it wasn't an easy target.

Much to his disappointment, they decided to give it a try. What was worse is that he recognized by the feel of the wall that he was in one of the more rather isolated alleyways in the city. If they did manage to get the upper hand on him, and he was never one to misjudge anyone, then he could potentially be in trouble.

"Okay buddy," one of them said gruffly. "Give us everything you got on you and you won't get hurt."

Aspen could tell by the sound of his voice that he was an older man. He probably drank too much and smoked too much, and visited brothels more than he would like to admit. The additional voices, two in total, of his companions would say much of the same.

"Aren't you a little old to be robbing people?" Aspen asked, looking in their general direction. "I'd strongly advise against this."

"Well. We tried."

The leader of the group stepped up to him and gave him a little push, testing his boundaries. Aspen planted his foot behind him, taking the push but not falling over as the man had hoped. "Give it up," he hissed, pushing Aspen again. When Aspen didn't fall and chose not to respond, he swung a fist at him.

The Professor ducked out of the way, took a step back, and swung his cane under the man's legs in one clean motion. The robber toppled tot he ground.

Did he learn his lesson though? No, no he did not. He got back up to his feet, and wrapped him in a bear hug while the other two charged into him. Aspen had to admit that the hold was strong, and as he tried to wiggle his way out of it another man kicked the cane out of his hand.

"I warned you," Aspen muttered bitterly.

He closed his eyes, and the three were flung off of him with a wave of telekinetic energy. The sound of bones breaking was evident as their bodies slammed against the surrounding walls, and only one had the strength to fight back further.

"You bitch," the robber said through gritted teeth. He pulled a knife from his pocket and started to swing. The Professor in turn kicked the tip of his cane up, flipping in vertically so he could grab it, and shoved the pointed end into the man's chest. Killing him almost instantly.

Gods dammit.

He pulled the cane from the man's flesh and heard the body collapse.

He didn't want to kill anyone. He let them get the better of him in that split second, and he just reacted. He never wanted to actually kill them!

"Hey!" a voice called from down the alley. "I saw that!"

The sound of fleeting footsteps followed.

DragonSong

Aspen hadn't come in to work. Normally a professor missing a day or two of classes was nothing unheard of, but Aspen had always been one to notify head office before missing a lecture.

Idara tried to tell herself not to worry. It was...probably fine.

She didn't quite believe herself.

Bounties go up fast around here, Maka couldn't help but note to herself as she hesitated at the bottom of the steps to the inn's taproom, her eyes drawn to the wall where a few rather faded--and one brand new--pieces of parchment had been tacked up.

Blind man with a cane: wanted for murder.

Her eyebrows crept up. She was willing to bet not too many people around here fit that description. Well. What were the odds?

Lowen Thorn

This wasn't good.

Aspen had only defended himself, and in a matter of days he was wanted for murder. He wasn't able to track down the man that spotted him and explain, not that that would have mattered, and as the whispering rumors turned into matter-of-fact bounties he had no choice but to run. He needed to speak with Idara, but he couldn't risk going back to the school. Not now.

He went to his home, packed what he could, and left with Banksy, his faithful dog.

Banksy, or "Banks" as he often referred to him, was a rather large, athletic, and intimidating dog. He was black and tan with pointed ears, a large chest, and golden eyes. He had the energy of a puppy but the teeth of an adult. If one could describe him, one might think he was an attack dog, but he was as friendly and cuddly as they came.

Most people recognized Banks as Aspen's seeing-eye-dog, but really he was just his friend. He didn't need Banks to get around, he just liked having him around.

And now they were on the run together.

He had to get word to Idara somehow. She would know what to do.

DragonSong

Some cursory investigation had revealed that the wanted man was well-liked by his colleagues--one of the elemental fellows in particular, it seemed. After she learned that, it was easy enough to stake out the woman's quarters at the academy.

Maka leaned back in her little alcove as dusk dipped toward true night, running a polishing cloth absently up and down the length of her staff. Despite technically being on campus, her chosen hiding spot was a secluded little place, a path from the edge of academy property up toward the main cluster of buildings. Massive trees overshadowed the well-trod dirt, and in the growing darkness their shadows seemed almost sinister.

Of course, that might have been helped by the fact that there was a ghost on the path.

A girl, maybe fourteen. Probably a student here, once. Empty, broken eyes locked on Maka as she rubbed the cloth up and down, up and down. The necromancer gritted her teeth; if she didn't react, the ghost wouldn't know that she could see her.

...Maybe she'd find a new stake-out soon.

Lowen Thorn

Telekinetic energy manipulation certainly came in handy, but telepathic conversation? That would be a godsend. Too bad Aspen hadn't yet mastered that art, because it would really prove useful at a time like now.

'Idara' he spoke throughout his mind.

Nothing.

He didn't have a choice. He would have to reach her some other way. If he went back to the campus now, he'd hang for sure. The word has already spread too quickly for him to have a chance to explain himself, even if most of his colleagues were on his side. He was certain they would be.

It didn't help that his last public appearance was a lecture where he taught about primal magic, an art that includes a variety of factors: blood sacrifice, cannibalism, and other dreadful things of that nature.

He even joked that he had a few sacrifices to make after class that day! Gods dammit! This was really, really bad.

"Think, Aspen, think," he muttered under his breath.

He didn't have a choice. He had to go to the campus to find Idara before he completely lost control of what was happening. A blind man on the run can only go so far, even if he was pretty capable of himself. Venturing into unknown territory without any sort of plan would be foolish, to say the least.

So that settled it. He would be in and out. He would speak with Idara, and hope for the best.

It was several hours later and Aspen and Banks were back at the school. He waited in the shadows of an outside garden corridor that was rarely visited. It was a little out of the way, but he knew Idara would frequently take her walks there, and they would often meet there as well. He was really betting his life on it, because it was the only chance he had.

DragonSong

Ah.

There he was.

Well. No point trying to sneak up on a blind man, really. Not to mention even trying it made her feel...unsavory.

Maka shrugged away from the little garden alcove and stepped out onto the path, twirling her staff around until the butt pointed toward the earth, the length of it tilted up behind her back.

"Master Aspen." She took a few more steps until she was in the middle of the path, maybe six yards ahead of him. "Word is you're wanted for murder, ser. Why don't we make this nice and easy for everyone and you can just come along with me, hm?" Her eyes flickered to the dog, paused, then she added, "Pup can come too, if you want."

The ghost was still there, just behind him. Closer now, her eyes trained on Maka's face. Help me. Her lips moved but there was no sound. Help me. Help me.

Lowen Thorn

So in his best attempt to find Idara, he was immediately called out by a bounty hunter, or someone of that nature. Wonderful. What luck.

He looked in the woman's direction, as he usually did, but by coincidence his iced-over eyes landed directly on her. "I take it you didn't like my lecture then," he said, gripping his cane a little tighter. "That's a shame. I strive to provide my students the best."

He took a step backward, but motioned Banks to stay. "Tell me," he said calmly. "What's a necromancer doing trying to collect the bounty on an innocent man? Don't you have better things to do?"

DragonSong

Shit.

He said the word “necromancer”, and behind him the ghost child’s eyes widened. Black, empty pools suddenly burned to life and her lips pulled back in a slow smile—no. Not a smile. Her skin was peeling away, rotting, her face gaunt where it had been rosy, black discoloration blossoming over her cheeks and brow.

Plague. The ghost was old then, old enough to have died here before the academy was even built.

She didn’t have time to think about that though, because suddenly the girl was in front of her, reaching up to claw at her face. “Help me help me help me HELP ME HELP ME!

Maka took a breath and looked over her head at her target. She felt the chill of her touch, the shiver down her spine, but she ignored it. “I really don’t think my schedule should be your biggest concern right now,” she replied evenly. “Come on, make this easy on yourself. I really don’t wanna have to hit a blind man.”

The ghost was still screaming. It was so loud now, nearly present in the living realm, that Maka wouldn’t have been surprised if the mage could hear it, even faintly.

Lowen Thorn

Aspen grinned slightly. "Must be hard," he said, ignoring her comment. "Being a necromancer. Seeing ghosts all of the time. What do they want exactly? Do they talk to you? Do they ask for your help?"

His grin widened slightly and he turned away from her. "Figure that out first, and then we can dance. If you'll excuse me," he said before patting his leg at Banksy. "Come on, boy."

He didn't waste any time in walking away from her, though his guard was completely up, ready to throw her body across the yard at a moment's notice if he had to.

DragonSong

Maka gritted her teeth.

Alright. Then they'd do this the hard way.

She walked forward, through the ghost, her steps sharp and deliberate. She wanted him to hear. She had to repress a shudder as she passed physically through the spirit, but she had learned over the years that they couldn't really hurt her, not like this at any rate.

They were just stuck. Lost and sad.

Didn't mean she wanted to deal with them.

"What makes you think I can see ghosts?" she asked blithely, as though they were carrying on a regular conversation. "Even among necromancers it's a rare thing to just see the dead wandering about all the time. You need rituals for that sort of thing." Another tidbit she'd only learned once she came to mainland which would have been nice to know literally most of her life.

Lowen Thorn

He stopped. Turned to face her.

"You're distracted," he replied flatly. "There's no one else here besides the two of us, but you're presenting yourself as someone who is juggling two conversations. Trying to focus on one, ignoring the other. That, and there's a chill in the air there didn't exist before you got here."

"You'd make pretty shit bounty hunter if you couldn't even give your full attention to your target," he continued, his cane off the ground now. "But something tells me you're quite good at what you do, so, I put two and two together. It wasn't hard."

DragonSong

Can up. An opening.

In a lightning fast motion, speed born of many years' practice, Maka struck out with the butt of her staff, first an attempt to disarm him, and then swinging the staff around to hook behind his knees and bring him down.