Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Birthstone

Started by visualspice, July 09, 2022, 08:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: Tags to @allthekingsmen

The massive paws of the dragon bird trampled through the hot sands, kicking up a trail of golden dust in their wake as bird and rider seemed to be racing the blood red colors of the rising sun. A second trail of dust was heralded from the jackal hound whose paws tore into the sands without remorse. The rider's wild, moon-white hair carried like a wild flag in his wake, a whooping laughter carrying across the wide expanse of dessert as far as forever. Or so it felt as a surge of wild, unrepressed pride swelled within the young man, whose strong calves goaded the dragon bird faster, and faster still until the dessert dusts mingled with the heavier stones of the canyon valley. Then up he rode, along the craggy and narrow path, stones and pebbles toppling in his climb, hound on his heels and sun at his back before he made his way to the plateau and raced towards the precipice.

There, the sun continued up and up, a sparkling star of threaded gold light peaking over the plateau, stretching the shadows of the lands to wicked lengths. The jackal-dog barked, having caught up to the heels of the bird beast with is, it's tongue lolling excitedly as the rider peered down with a coy grin.

"You haven't won just yet, 'Ruubis!" The young man called through a laugh. But as the end of the plateau was pulling near, A'ruubis, his black and gold coated jackal of a dog, turned suddenly into the dry brush, kicking up dust and carcass of seeds. The man was taken aback as he pulled slightly on the reins.

"Woah now.." his blue eyes cut through void of brambles that stretched on for miles around them, with tall, near skeletal trees clinging to the shadows the sun was slowly wiping away. Where was that beast going? Did he get distracted and forget this was a race? But the rider should have known better, his beast was almost cockier than he- and before he realized what his crazy dog was up to, a sudden flock of -

"What the- DESERT PEACOCKS!?"
A hurdle of gold and blue plumes assaulted him, the pheasant clucking of the birds roused by the sudden growling bark of a vicious jackal hound sent them to flight- and right into the dragon-bird rider's face. With a shout, he yanked the reins as the barrage of birds seemed unending and once the cacophony of chaos subsided, Pheonix Estaglave was standing there, more feathers in his clothes and hair than usual (same for his bird!) as he was spitting them out with great disgust.

"Oh Hakeshna's name- is that peacock shit on my hair!?" And as he examined more..." And my.. clothes... Arrrgh! Ar'ruubis!" he shouted, shaking one angered fist as his dog stood triumphantly against the full birth of the rising sun on the great Sheshpi plateau.

And as promised, Phen sat with legs dangling over the edge of the great plateau, dried meats and seeds in hand- hand feeding his triumphantly victorious dog- who ate every last scrap.
"Weren't even gonna leave crumbs for me."
Phen turned to Seskah, his faithful mount and gave her breast feathers a ruffling scratching. She cooed and nuzzled his side and he conceded, fetching more seed from his pouch for her to peck.

"Guess it's bird seed again," he went on, chewing on his own handful with an unheaved sigh.

Sunrise over the desert was beautiful- but Sheshpi plateau had one of the most breath taking views of it. It wasn't easily accessible, the trail winding all the way to the top was indeed, trecherous- but the young man had traversed it so many times in the past year or so he knew each trick spot blindly. Even though he lost the race, the reward of the view was something else. The way the colors bled into the world, across the deserts, across the sands and plateaus, and forced the snaking Niafi river below to flow as if gold...

"Not sure if words can describe it, but..." Phen went on, chewing dryly on another mouthful of seed. "Bird seed sucks." Seskah purred a coo, and he pet the top of her head and offered her another palmful of seed, whcih the greedy Ar'ruubis poked his big nose into and helped gobble up.

"Hey now! Back off beast!" Pheonix reprimanded with a laugh. But he couldn't actually be made at his dog, and gave a ruffle to his pointed ears before dropping onto his back and just let himself enjoy the fresh heat of the day. In a few hours, he'd have to seek shelter. For now...
The day.. the heat.. the company... was perfect.

The hour had passed and the dragon rider guided his beasts down the front end trail, making his way across the growing hot sands and towards the banks of the Niafi. He was still a decent distant away from the delta, where the fresh, cool waters emptied into the wide open sea. Ships and boats were already meandering through the harbors with a purpose, and he took note of some of the more foreign styled vessels before he let himself simply drop into the river waters.

Ar'ruubis barked a few times before he jumped into the water with a splash to join him. Pheonix laughed, white hair plastered down his head and because of it's great lenght, the extra carried out into the lengths of the deeper water like velvet white snakes upon the water. The dog paddeled around his master with a few excited yips, while the dragon bird pecked at the fresh waters to quench it's thirst. But then it's head jerked up suddenly, as did the ears of the jackal dog.

Phen's eyes followed theirs towards the horizon. It was far enough away it wasn't a direct threat... but lone figures in the desert were always something to raise caution. Pheonix groaned.

"The ladies can never leaves a man alone," he wallowed, and made his way back onto the bank and shook off beside his dog  - like a dog, as fingers scratched and shook wildly into his hair to get most of the water out, before he tossed it back- and the beads and feathers and tiny little braids all clattered down along his back side in one regal sweep.

"Well, looks like it's time to get back to work." And so with that, Pheonix Estaglave packed up his things and beasts and began to make his way towards the bustling harbor. He wasn't in much of a hurry. He'd have to be in the city of Essyrn by nightfall, but the harbor was the ideal place for a haggle. And because he wasn't in much of a hurry, the walk took him over an hour before the assault of the sea smells and activity assaulted all of his senses.

So many congregated here- those planning to spend the day relaxing on the beaches, those who came to port, pulling in cargo ships and cargo with people of every walk of life-
Although Essyrnis dominanted any foreigners, it was still a colorful scene. And as Pheonix made his way down the scrawling rivering path of docks, he noted a particularly unique ship coming into port as he guided Seskah and his dog along.

The Black Torch looked like it was meant for exploring of the deep sea. Dreamily, he considered the life of a seamen, traveling to far and distant, exotic locations to men unknown. But then Ar'ruubis was barking and drew his attention away.

" 'Rubes, what you yapping for, huh? No one wants to hear you bark," he told him firmly, but the dog wasn't listening, and took off suddenly onto the docks. " 'Ru..!" Pheonix growled. "Ar'ruubis! Get your jackal-tailed ass back here!" He really didn't want to have to chase his dog, who decided, most annoyingly, to be unruly and disappeared behind a series of workers and crates.

Pulling Seskah along by her reigns, Pheonix called out for his dog and disappeared into the bustling crowd himself.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

allthekingsmen

Business on The Black Torch was as usual, though the sight of land and civilization had some members of the crew jumping up in excitement and others groaning at the prospect of having to talk to strangers in order to acquire supplies and extra labor. Captain Hui Chouyan—or, to most outsiders, Ember, or self-proclaimed Ultimate Pirate Queen when she was very inebriated—squeezed into the crow's nest of her pitch black ship with her barrelman, leaning over the basket-shaped structure to squint at the nearing sands, her heart pulsing with light at the prospect of getting her hands on something shiny at the markets.

"Very roomy up here, Cap'n," Her barrelman grumbled as she bumped her hip into his, his hair tangled and mussed from the guiding winds, the shadows under his eyes dark and hollow. There was a section of his face left slightly bruised and indented from where he frequently rested a spyglass, the large cut over his jaw and lips was still raw and healing from their last run-in with a hostile party, and it seemed as though his mood was even sourer than usual from the violent encounter. "Sure helpin' me do my job well."

"Cheer up, Haytham," Ember reached a strong arm around to pat him on the back, the friendly gesture clearly doing more to piss him off than to 'cheer him up,' her grin leaning to the side of shit-eating. "You've got family here, right? We can take an afternoon for a nice, warm visit."

"I'd rather crash 'gainst the rocks and drown, Cap'n," he drawled dryly, lowering his spyglass from his eye.

"But then I'd have no crow in the nest!" she joked, leaning back and flashing him a smile. "Stay up here, then. No one can bother you then—'cept for me, of course."

"Of course, Cap'n," Haytham's bloodshot eyes rolled in their sockets before being put back to the spyglass, despite the fact that they were close enough that they didn't really need one. "We're gettin' real close. Kenway'll want a word with you."

"And here I thought you'd be begging for another moment with me," she shook her head good-naturedly, but hefted herself off the crow's nest, throwing her legs over onto the crosshatched ropes. "I'll make sure to bring you a souvenir back from the harbor, my friend!"

"I'll throw it starboard the second you hand it to me!" he called back, earning a snicker from her as she climbed back down to the deck, leaping off the ropes once she found it sufficiently low enough to not break every bone in her body. True enough, her second-in-command was waiting impatiently at the prow of the ship, arms crossed and brows knit.

"I'm here, I'm here," Ember waved her hands around flippantly, lightheartedly trying to placate her partner-in-crime. "Don't you worry your mother-hen head, I'm sure everyone still knows what to do when sailing through Essyrn."

Kenway's silvery hair was soaked with sweat, his cheeks were pink and red with sunburn, and each of his breaths were heavy and labored from the intense heat, but he mustered the energy to scowl at her still, and rapped a rough knuckle on her forehead in scolding. "Not the newcomers. That Hyoite boy has only been with us for a few months, and he might as well be melting in this heat. You need to take care of your underlings."

"Our alchemist gave him cooling balms to apply once we started feeling the temperature going up," Ember crossed her own arms, albeit looser than he did, and looked off to the scene behind him to gaze in wonder at the bustling life just waiting to welcome them. Eager to get going, she started to rattle off her precautions. "And I told Rayyan and Keone to keep an eye on him just in case, as they can handle hot weather well. As for the rusalka, I told her to stay in her tub and to not harm whoever came in to give her fresh water, else I'd drag her out by the neck and leave her in the desert to dry out. If she stays put for the whole stay, I'd personally see that she can take a nice, long, supervised soak out in the Niafi river, so long as there were no crocodiles. Both her and the boy have the day off, but they'll make it up once we get somewhere cooler. Everything's handled; no need to panic."

Kenway paused for a moment, mildly shocked, and studied her strictly. Clearly, he expected her to slack off as soon as they got near Essyrn, which sort of miffed her (she wasn't that flaky, was she?), but she'd actually done the opposite—she had full confidence in her crew that they'd do well, and those that weren't quite in the groove yet she paid close attention to and made sure would stay out of trouble and danger until she got back. She wanted to clear her schedule to play, steal, and haggle to her heart's content, and embodied that go-getter attitude as needed.

He continued to stare at her in silence for a moment before huffing a sigh through his nose, closing his eyes at her bright smile. "...Alright. And how do you know everyone will actually follow through on your orders?"

Her smile shifted slightly, turning to a smirk. "Oh, come now. You think they'd try and cross me? If they don't love me already, they'd be scared of the hell I'd rain upon them—that we'd rain upon them, more like."

Kenway let out a soft snort, and that was when she knew he'd been won over. He uncrossed his arms and gestured to the harbor just behind them, giving a light shrug. "Fine. Go have fun. Be back by sundown, and don't kill anyone."

"No promises," she laughed, already running past him to jump off starboard and land on a nearby (smaller) ship, the shocked shriek of a sailor lost to the wind as she bounded off the bow to latch onto a connecting rope, swinging nearer and nearer to solid land until her feet finally landed on familiar ground, one of her favorite spots to buy and steal from both.

Though some eyed her strangely, quite a few passersby clearly had seen far weirder things than a wild pirate, and she brushed her messy hair out of her face before making a beeline to the crowded trade areas, nimbly avoiding sailors and slaves lugging supplies and tools to and from ships to melt into the packs of suckers and rich men's servants that haggled for food, clothing, jewelry, and drink.

She lived for these pockets of chaos, each one a bite of beautiful life unshackled by the rigid laws of politeness. She loved how people elbowed those around them when they pushed their way to a good sale, or how frustrated customers pointed their fingers at swindlers, spittle flying out of their mouths as they shouted their anger out.

She especially loved, however, the way particularly theatrical merchants put on full tragedies to watch when a tourist offered too little for their wares. Put down too few coins for anything at all, and you were bound to get a show.

"Do you find my wares crude, sir?!" one man cried, pressing his hand to his heart and stumbling back as if shot with a crossbow bolt, fat tears rolling down his thin face. "Do you think my gems counterfeit? Truly, I am wounded—my jewelry is among the best of Essyrn, the most beautiful in the desert, yet you think them little more than cheap arrangements of stones. My mother must be turning in her grave, to see her son shamed so."

The vast majority of them likely were fake—dressed up with magic or substituted with colored glass—but Ember could appreciate the acting, nonetheless, though she appreciated the panic it sent the customer into when he scrambled to appease the merchant. It gave her the right distraction to slip a pretty blue-green gem into one of her large, puffy sleeves, passing right on by as the merchant satisfyingly watched more and more coins pour out of the poor sucker's purse.

She hummed happily under her breath, turning the gem in her palm subtly, tilting her head down to give it a glance after walking a safe distance away. A souvenir for Haytham, she snickered in her head, before walking off to the next booth.
I'm under 18, but allowed on SotE because I was around before the rule was made. That being said: I won't be participating in mature content RPs for the time being, but I'm super happy to write other stuff!

visualspice

By the time Phen had gotten control of his dog, he coaxed him away, gesturing for the animal to follow him up and onto the top of some large shipping crates. They offered an excellent view of the docks, and also of where he left Seskah. The dragon bird could fend for herself, but that didn't mean he didn't trust thieves. Although, thieves were less likely in broad daylight. The crates also offered a great place to people watch- which was one of Pheonix's favorite things to do in order to avoid doing what he ought to do. Ah, sweet procrastination....

When a dramatic merchant began to pour out his sob story laced with elephant tears, Pheonix had to chuckle. He gave Ar'ruubis a nudge.
"Look at that! And to think we wouldn't get a show today. Ha, what did I tell you, 'Rubie?"

The dog just lolled his tongue as he panted and gave a happy wag of his tail. But then his ears perked up as he watched the crowd, and Phen, picking up on his dog's sudden tension, let his gaze follow towards a woman who- oh...
He caught the act just in time as the woman snatched something from the vendor and walked oh so casually away.

Any other angle and Phen would have missed it.
"Who's a good boy?" Phen praised, ruffling the dogs ears as he gestured forward. "Now it's time to get to work." And the pair leaped down from the boxes with ease, Pheonix showing off more than he ought to (although there wasn't many, if any around, to give a show) while the dog just naturally hopped down from one crate tot he next until he was on the ground. Pheonix gave a low whistle, just as they were nearing the woman as she strolled away, and the dog took the initiative and approached the woman with a happy bark and wag of his tail. A few more barks and he was running around her in a coaxing circle, growling happily and hoping she'd be up for play!

Pheonix hung back and watched. It wasn't his time to join in, after all! But he couldn't help but smile pridefully. Ar'ruubis was such a good boy!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

allthekingsmen

All around her, Essyrni and foreigners alike hawked their wares and services; Ember breathed the hot, dry air in with a content feeling in her bones, stashing her gem away in the folds of her sleeves to unload at the ship later. When out of the markets, she would wear short sleeves or clothes without sleeves at all, but when there were still pretty things to pocket, she could hold out in the heat a little while longer—the only thing she was missing was her large hat, or a matching shawl to hide things on her head or to attach appropriate bits of jewelry to her hair without drawing too much attention. Who could blame her excitement, though, when the environment was so lively?

Clearly, someone was sharing her good mood, though, as she was stopped by a happy-looking dog, a slinky-seeming thing that made her take half a step back out of mild surprise. She gave a little chuckle, part shock and part amusement, and gave it a little wave as it did its cheerful prance around her.

"Hello, pup," she smiled wide, though she made sure to keep the dog in her direct line of sight at all times, swiveling around to match where its mouth went. She didn't know whether it was a boy or girl dog—she obviously never recalled having a pet of her own, so she wouldn't really have the expertise to tell at a glance—but regardless, she knew what kind of peril people could get into after getting bitten by any kind of dog, whether it intended to be friendly or not. She didn't need a first-hand experience of the stories they told, thank you very much. "Having a good day, today?"

She also took care to keep her sleeves away, in case it got overexcited and decided to gnaw through her shirt and accidentally swallow her prize, but otherwise was glad to see a cute animal after so many days at sea. She loved the ocean, but sometimes, the cutest thing she'd see would be her own reflection. She leaned down slightly to speak to it as if it were a small child, "Sorry, I don't have any treats with me right now..."

Ember glanced around her, then scooted a little more to the side to let more people past before returning her gaze to the dog playfully. Its coat seemed cleaner than a street dog's would be, but she didn't see its master anywhere. "But if you just give me a minute, I'll see if I can snatch a bit of meat they're selling, just for you."
I'm under 18, but allowed on SotE because I was around before the rule was made. That being said: I won't be participating in mature content RPs for the time being, but I'm super happy to write other stuff!

visualspice

Ar'ruubis' tail would not stop moving, nor his body, as he barked excitedly and pranced about in front of the woman. Now that she was thoroughly distracted....

Pheonix stepped out from the shadows, moving with a purpose and clipping the woman on the elbow as he conveniently made a stumbling turn.
"Oh, forgive me! My attentions were elsewhere. You see.. I was looking for my dog. The rapscallion had gotten off his lead and I can't find him anywhere. I thought I heard his barking but... it seems I must have missed him."

During the time their little exchange took place, indeed, the dog had all but disappeared, having crawled beneath a carefully selected pile of crates that afforded him just enough room to squeeze and hide within as he lay on his belly and watched his master work.

It was.. about this time Pheonix had gotten a good look at the woman. She was very easy on the eyes and it made Phen's smile stretch more leftward, dimpling his cheek. And before he could think better of it, he blurted out his introduction.

"I'm Phen, by the way, Phen Estaglave. You new to this city?"

allthekingsmen

Ember swiveled around to look her clumsy new acquaintance in the eye, one hand instinctively darting towards her hip, but stilling once hearing his rather innocent apology.

The stranger was a young man, with long off-white hair framing a smoothly handsome face, his eyes a bold blue that she lingered on for a moment before going back to overtly study the rest of him. He was just a little taller than she was, most likely, his brown skin a few shades darker than hers, his lips shapely and full.

And, she noted, he was definitely well-dressed. Seemed as though he had money—that jewelry certainly wasn't cheap—though Ember was certain that he could still try to take something from her.

She blinked out of her observation, though, at his explanation for the minor scrape-by. "Ah, is your dog that skinny jackal-looking one? He should be right..."

She turned her head to the left, then to the right, though she made sure to keep the man in her peripheral vision. She clicked her tongue and turned her face back to him. "Well, yeah, I guess you missed him. Sorry I couldn't catch him for you, friend."

She rested both hands on her belt, casual but close enough to her sash-covered knife if need be. She hadn't brought her swords or gun out to play today, as she didn't want them to be stolen by anyone particularly slippery, but wondered if she should've brought them upon the appearance of the man's slanted smile.

"Not new, but certainly foreign," she gave a one-shouldered shrug, mentally filing Phen's name away for later. She might have to look into the name Estaglave, just in case. "I've been here enough to know where to shop, at least. You can call me Ember. It's nice to meet you, Phen Estaglave."

visualspice

While most were better at slight of hand than he, he was damn good at being observant, however, his attempt to 'bump ' into the woman to see what she stole made the gem fall from the puff off her sleeve rather than dexterously slipping onto his own hand. He tried to ignore the fact he had stumbled but from the corner of his eye, he caught something blue and casually stepped and rested his sandal over top of it to conceal his new conundrum.

And at the news his dog had gone missing still, he pouted.

"Seems my dog is slippery as an eel. He gets excited every time we visit the docks." Which was true, it was easier to fake information based on truth and habit. "Well, Ember, ..." he studied her with a bit more focus as he noticed the unique characteristics of her hair. "I suppose the name came with the hair? It's rather a unique shade, like warm coals of a fire."

From the corner of his eye, he caught sight of Ar'ruubis getting antsy, the dog crawling out on his belly from where he hid, but only a few subtle inches at a time. Damn dog.

"Well, I suppose I ought to start looking for 'Rubie. He can be such a slobbering terror to the masses."

And that's when he barked. And a second, then third time before darting over towards the pair, racing between the two like a crazy eight with a thumping tail.

"Ar'ruubis! There you are! Who's a good boy!? Who is!?" He went on, praising the beast and giving a playful ruffle to his fur,bending down to do so and using the dogs body and chaos as a shield, slipped the item from under his boot and into his pocket. 

Since he was now at his level, Ar'ruubis was all over his face giving those fearsome , slobbery kisses.

"Ack!" Pheonix almost lost his balance as he landed on his ass, dog barking happily but only continuing his happy little barrage of kisses.

allthekingsmen

Ember laughed genuinely, crossing her arms over her chest, her heart glowing faintly beneath her shirt to match each staccato of breath. One of the older sailors in her crew said that he used to sail with a man who had five seadogs who would be stirred into a frenzy each time the barrelman called for land; she could definitely see how even a land-dwelling pet would love the sight of bustling civilization. "I can't say I blame him. It's a very excitable area, and I'm sure it's fun for him to make new friends."

She reached one hand up to touch her hair at his words, the long locks swept away from her shoulder and a bit messy from her travels, but ultimately still manageable. She raised an eyebrow, quirking up one edge of her lips in turn. "A flatterer, are you? But, yes, I suppose my mother had a knack for the poetic."

Ember took an abrupt step backwards when the dog came running to them, trying to get herself out of the possible collision radius in case "'Rubie" didn't exactly have a good sense of direction. Luckily enough for her, he went straight for Phen.

She snickered as he lost his balance, recrossing her arms to subtly feel for her sleeve and the hidden gem inside... but rather than feeling a telltale bump of her prize, she only felt the smoothness of her own arm.

Her mismatched eyes darted around, looking for where it could have gone only to find nothing. She fixated on the dog (did he eat it? Accidentally push it away when scrambling to get to his owner?), then on Phen (did he dislodge it when he bumped into her? Steal it right from her sleeve?).

One option seemed to be far more likely than the other, and she closed in on the two to give a friendly but quietly threatening smile. "Are you alright, Phen?"

visualspice

"Yeah, I'm alright. Damn dog is too affectionate for his own good!" Phen smiled and continued to pet the dog, giving him a good scratch under his chin. "I think I might live for another day." Ar'ruubis confirmed, giving a few more kisses to Pheonix's face before he moved to stand.

"Well, suppose I ought to get going with my ornery beast. He probably needs a few good laps of walking around the docks  to mildly reduce his energy level. I'm sorry if he's caused any trouble, " he went on with a polite nod.

allthekingsmen

"I don't think there's any such thing as 'too affectionate,'" Ember joked, though there was little humor in her eyes as she scanned for where Phen could have possibly hid her gem. It'd cause a ruckus if she outright accused him of stealing from her, and while she normally didn't mind getting loud and rowdy, she knew that Kenway would have her neck if she stirred up trouble within the very first day of being here. She'd have to be a little more covert, this time.

"No worries, Phen. Ar'ruubis was no trouble at all," she inclined her own head, using the name she heard him speak before, then turned her eyes away in thought. "If you could do me a favor to make my stay in Essyrn a bit easier, though—would you mind me coming with you? It's been a while since I've last visited, and I'd like to see more of the area around here. I'd feel a lot safer if I had a local such as yourself next to me. I, ah, have a knack for getting myself lost if I get too excited, much like Ar'ruubis, it seems."

visualspice

"I don't know... are you sure you could withstand us two charmers for a walk around the harbor?" He asked, eyes glittering with playful challenge. "Although if you really insist..."

Even if she did insist, it seemed the dog wanted an opinion too, as he barked and leaped at Ember, trying to lick her face.

"Well, I see Ar'ruubis approves. But then again, he always has a soft spot for women," Phen lamented,  arms folded across his chest. "I suppose being a chaperone couldn't hurt anyone of us too badly  "

allthekingsmen

"I'm sure I can handle it," Ember offered a toothy smile, a tinge of a smirk to it, then laughed as Ar'ruubis jumped to her, catching him before his jaws could reach her face. She didn't want to test how well-trained the dog was the hard way.

She gently let him down, giving him a soft pat on the head before turning back to Phen, tucking her hands neatly behind her back. "Lucky me. He's a smart pup, that's for sure."

She gestured vaguely to the distance with a small nod of her head. "Well, where to, Sir Navigator?"

visualspice

Pheonix gave a nod.
"This way, my lady," he said with a gesture forward, ensuring she was moving at his side before he proceeded to lead the way through the labyrinth of docks. It was surprisingly a rather curling trail he lead her upon, a bunch of tucked away fishing booths waved at then with their wares while old women sat in a large group, nearly blocking one path, as they prepped fish for the Market.

Needless to say the air stunk of fish and was loud with activity. Ember's ship wasn't the only large one to dock today but many smaller, local vessels were navigating through the dock labyrinths and busy harbor.

"This side of the docks," Phen began. "Is whers you can purchase just about any fish imaginable.  Local or otherwise. But many prefer the fresh fish brought in by local fishermen. "

Rubie sniffed around, leaving Ember's side to meet and greedy the group of older ladies at work, and was happily rewarded with some fish tails.

allthekingsmen

Ember stuck close to Phen's side, keeping just a half step behind him—not just so she could steal her gem back, but because this was unfamiliar territory for her. She'd never been one for stealing fish (they weren't nearly shiny enough to do so, and her ship's resident cook would be furious at the knowledge that they weren't able to take a look at the catch beforehand), after all; she had no reason to wander over here. Still, she put the path they took to memory, in case she needed to give someone a quick slip from one area to another. It wouldn't work on Phen if she had to run from him, given he'd shown her the way, but any foreigner like herself would be easy to escape.

"The convenience of having a variety available for sale makes up for freshness, I suppose," she idly remarked in return, eyes darting across the scenery as she stalled a bit behind him. What could she use as an excuse to get her hands on his things?

Some of the fish parts—skin, meat, intestines, and all—seemed to fly from one lady's hand out to the ground, the slippery surface having escaped her grip as she leaned away to avoid dropping the good parts into Ar'ruubis's mouth, clicking her tongue in dissatisfaction as she looked at the wasted flesh scattered about, but turned away. Perfect.

She pretended to be distracted by the dog's ministrations, slipping on the slick fish and grabbing onto Phen for support, fingers clutching at his arm and torso. "Shit—"

She lost her footing again, two fingers swiftly and subtly delving into one of his pockets and—thank Lady Luck—finding the familiar smooth ridges of her gem, tucking it into her palm as she righted herself, pulling her hands away from his torso. "Damn bilge-sucking—sorry, sorry. That's, ah, awful embarrassing for a woman who prides herself on her sea legs. Did I hurt you?"

She brushed herself off with her free hand, the other pretending to adjust her belt as she pushed the gem into the tight nook between her belt and her trousers, pulling her sash up a little higher to cover any residual gleam. It would dislodge if she raised her leg too high, but should be fine at her normal walking speed.

visualspice

The moment the gem left him, he looked.. lost. A reflection of panick over took his eyes and he even seemed a little pale. It was a strange reaction, to be sure,  of the woman stumbling against his form, which he would, on a normall occasion, be so suave. But he truly looked like he just heard some God awful news, and for the life of him, he could not shake the sudden fear and loss from his very being.

But slowly, he began to return to himself, from that moment of awayness and turned to Ember to help her more proper. And the moment he touched her, to help right her, that same sensation tugged him her way.

The only other time he'd experienced something so rash was when he came in contact with an odd gem and...
Discretely, Pheonix reached towards his pocket and realized the gem was gone. And for a moment, he frowned, staring down at Ember. She knew he stole from her? And.. had she just used her little fall to pick his pocket right back?

It shouldn't have unnerved him, if anything, it was a rather fun game he could play with a rather pretty woman but...
That feeling, that sense of dread and loss could not be easily shaken.

He had to get back the gem. He had to know.

He forced a smile, but he felt it painfully evident.
"No harm, no foul. Just glad to see you're not hurt."

Why did his voice sound hasty, almost not his own? He had to have been over thinking it. And fprced himself to turn away.

I suppose we ought try the dryer docks?" He jested, eyeing her and.. trying to figure out where she could have stashed the gem.

allthekingsmen

So strange was Phen's reaction to her fumble that Ember nearly felt bad about taking her gem back... but didn't quite tip over into the field of regret. She stole it fair and square, after all; it was hers (and Haytham's) now. Nothing he could do about it, especially if they went back to where her ship would be docked and could gather her own forces to grab him if he tried to steal it back twice. She only had so much patience.

Phen's demeanor seemed to change, though, and while she hadn't known him for very long at all, she could tell that something was off. If he was onto her, then that might be best; she could forgo the trickier parts of this song-and-dance and stick solely to keeping the gem in her possession. She'd still have to put up a front of politeness, of course, but she didn't have to be nearly as convincing to him.

"You're a kind man, aren't you?" she returned her own sweet smile, though blatantly fake, and gave a slight nod. "That might be best—at the very least, I won't be flailing about like an upside-down crab, though being close to you is a different story."

visualspice

"Oh?" His cocky grin returned. "What kind of story would we be?" He flirted, daring to get a little bit closer, if at least in a playful manner for the moment.

allthekingsmen

Ember raised an eyebrow, loosely crossing her arms with a small smirk of her own. "That all depends on how you treat me, Phen—either a thrilling one, full of excitement and romance, or one that will never come to be."

visualspice

Phen's smile broadened. He hadn't expected her to be so direct with his flirting.  It was refreshing.
"Id commend you for your honesty but you did accuse me of being kind..." he teased. "And here I thought I came off as a ruffian. "

allthekingsmen

Ember gave a light, flippant shrug, lifting one hand to pull her hair over her shoulder, eyes gleaming with amusement. "I've sailed with and against scoundrels, villains, madmen, and rascals—trust me when I say that, compared to them, you are far from a 'ruffian.'"

Though you are a sly little thief, she inwardly snickered, then turned her gaze away to Ar'ruubis. "Shall we go to those 'dryer docks,' though? I think your pup will turn round as a melon if those ladies keep feeding him fish."