Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Seeking an adventure....

Started by Anonymous, May 10, 2006, 12:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was getting dark.  She'd have to be home soon, but... oooh!  She was so close, she knew it, she *knew* it!  She tossed a rebellious red curl out of her face and attempted to tuck it back into her low ponytail, which ended just between her shoulderblades in a curly, wavy, crimson mass.  Her one blue eye and her one green eye scanned the wall before her.  There was an entrance to the catacombs of the city somewhere around here...she remembered seeing it blocked off when she was a young girl, wandering with her mother.  Now she stood in the same general area, hoping and praying that the entrance hadn't been sealed.  It had been her one lead to finding the mages that hid in the city, she knew it, but if it was gone, she was back to nothing.

She folded her arms beneath her busom, then brought one hand up to cup her face and thoughtfully rub her chin.  The pretty face was heart-shaped and fair, with freckles sprinkled across her cheeks.  It was normally lit up with a smile, but right now, it was scrunched up in thought.  Maybe the mages had hidden the entrance...that'd make sense...but then, they'd probably use magic to get through it, which put her at a disadvantage, not being magically gifted.  Why was she even seeking them?  They'd probably be just as inclined to kill her as the gaurd would be with them.  Perhaps she was truly greedy deep down, wanting an adventure and seeking it out in this most dangerous of ways.  Perhaps it was her motherly benevolence, seeking to give the mages a connection to the outside world that they hid from.  Perhaps it was....

....the sound of heavy boots cut into her train of thought.  The city gaurd was patrolling, and a quick glance at the sky told her that they'd probably ask her why she was alone when it was so close to true dark.  She couldn't run from them--they'd suspect that she was a mage if she did, and she didn't want the guard chasing her.  As they got closer, she forced herself to calm down.  If they asked, she'd just tell a partial truth--"I was just lost in thought, sirs."

They walked past her without so much as a third glance in her direction.  She didn't mind that one of the two had given her a once-over so much, but she worried that they might remember her and cause something nasty in her future.

Once they were satisfactorily away, she resumed her scrutiny of the blank wall.  Where to start, where to start.... with a sigh, she leaned against the wall behind her, and felt it give under her weight.  She gasped and stood up, spinning around to face the wall, looking at it.  It *looked* normal, but still....  She pressed her hand to it again, and it gave and bounced slightly under the pressure.  Was this the entrance she was seeking?

Anonymous

Miha had been watching the girl for some time now. She didn't seem to be causing much harm, but she was poking around where she shouldn't be.

Not that there was any good reason to banish mages, who controlled the energies of life itself! She might not be an Adept herself, but she was the only member of Seretama who was allowed to be seen in daylight here, and even she would be killed for what little she knew if they ever found out.

Amazing that a city like this would have such a wealth of knowledge about the early history of mages, but â€" know they enemy. She just resented that Alere and Daryt had to slink around in order to do their noble work. But then, the Connlaoth government probably thought they were some secret order working to destroy the world.

Well, be that as it may, the girl was poking around the entrance now, and she was going to have to do something about it. Children shouldn't be here without supervision, and more importantly, no one should be playing around where Daryt would be coming out of in â€" oh no.

Daryt walked out the tunnel, sighing after a long day's work. Miha would have everything ready for â€" he stopped. There, not three meters away, was someone unfamiliar. An enemy? No, Miha was giving the all clear. "Who are you?" he demanded, trying to menace and doing a rather poor job of it. He was a rather small man and not prone to violence or anger.

Alere smirked from inside the tunnel, but she was preparing the set fire to the newcomer just in case she was a spy.

Anonymous

She jumped when she heard the man's voice and yanked her hand away from the bouncy wall.  Who was she?  Well, who was *he*?  She didn't dare ask something that impudent in reply to his question, though--it wasn't in her nature.  Her clothes clearly reflected her station as a merchant's daughter, though it was probably difficult to tell in the fading light.  He was a smallish man, and didn't seem the violent type, but still, Laurel would have noticed him walking from either side, so....

She tried to explain herself, rather than answering his question.  "I-I was just..." she stammered as she backed away from the wall a couple steps.  Then she looked around herself and looked back to the man, fixing him with a confused, di-colored gaze.  "Wh-where did you come from?" she asks, making no move to get closer to him.  Her mind was racing.  Was this *really* an entrance?  Had he come out of it?  If so, did that make him a mage?  And if he was a mage, were there more inside?  There were so many questions she wanted to ask, but none of them found voice.  Instead she watched the man and hoped in her heart of hearts that he would not hurt her.

Anonymous

Oops. Now this was a problem. How to deal with this? He couldn't kill her -- he hadn't even really considered it, but he was ashamed that the thought came up at all. The government might be corrupt, but that was no reason to go around killing innocents. Daryt had never killed before, and he wasn't about to start. And based on the fact that he could feel little trickles of flame around his hands, she wasn't one of the mage-killers who looked innocent but disabled magic.

She wasn't talking, though, and he had no idea what to do. He signalled to Alere, who opened the entrance while still ready to strike, and gestured her in.

"We'll talk more in there."

Anonymous

She looked at the now-open entrance and felt her heart sing with triumph.  It *was* an entrance!  She had been right!  The man gestured for her to go in, and so, with a quick glance over her shoulder to make sure there were no guards coming, she walked through the opening, still hoping that she would not be killed the moment she entered.

She licked her lips once inside the catacombs and felt her heart thud heavily and her throat close up.  She noted the other mage there and got the distinct feeling that any danger she might be in was caused by her ((I'm assuming Alere is female?  I'll edit it if that's not the case.)).  Then another thought hit her, and it almost made her feel sick.

'...oh, what have I gotten myself into?'

Anonymous

Daryt sealed the wall behind him, but not before nodding to Miha. She took out one her special arrows and shot it at the wall, a few feet away from the wall. Might be kind of obvious, but the next person who tried to get near there without her help was in for an unpleasant surprise.

Alere grinned at the girl, not menacing, but not nice either. Daryt might be dangerous in a fight, but he was more likely apologize than attack her and they couldn't have her thinking they were total push-overs.

"Erm... that's the problem, you see. We can't have you going around talking about us, so I don't have the faintest clue what to do with you. We're not going to hurt you, though, whatever you may have heard. We're archaeologist, we don't fight unless provoked.

Anonymous

The man seemed to be the only one who wasn't dangerous....well, much.  The smile on the one's face unnerved Laurel, and the other who was testing her arrows on the wall... well, that was just scary.  So Laurel kept her attention on the man she had seen, and realized that she was relying on what little light was put off by the flames on his hands to see.

She found her voice when he finished speaking.  "Oh, no, I wouldn't tell *anyone* about you!" she says suddenly, "and I never believed any of those stories they tell about...well..."  She quieted for a moment, coloring softly.  She had been so close to saying 'your kind', but decided that it would have been rude to speak of them as such.  They certainly looked just as human as she was, and in her mind, they were.  So they could do things that she and many others could not--so what?  Their personalities were important.

"Archaeologists?" she repeats curiously.  "I don't think I've ever heard that word before.... what does it mean?  What do you do?"

Anonymous

"Why, it's a grand proffession!" Dayrt said, clearly happy to have someone to explain it to. Alere rolled her eyes. This guy was more likely to bore someone to death than actually fight. "We uncover the secrets of the past so the present can make use of them. And Connlaoth is just full of such relics, for one reason or another. So, here we are."

He thought about the prospect of a promise for a while. "Well, I'm glad you won't tell anyone, but then what are you doing here?" Maybe she was looking for artifacts too. Maybe she could help them.

Oh sure, pride as the discover was nice, but it was more important to make the discovery than spend time fighting and let the opportunity go to waste.

Anonymous

Great, now she got to sound like a stupid little girl....

"W-well, actually, I just..."  Ugh.  There was no other way to put this, was there?  She prepared herself for various snorts of disdain.  "...I just wanted to meet...mages..." she says, the last word more quiet than the previous ones.  "S-see, my father, like the rest of Connlaoth, is staunchly anti-magic, b-but my mother wasn't from Connlaoth originally, and before she died, she told me all kinds of stories about the mages she had met and known, and I decided back then that I wanted to meet some mages for myself to determine who was more right, my mother or the government."  She bit her lip a bit as she realizes that she had just rambled quite a bit about things they probably cared nothing about.  "I-I'm willing to help with anything you need me to help with, though," she offers quickly.

Anonymous

"Oh, please don't think of us like your government would want you to. We are simply people who have gifts. What we do with that power depends completely on the person. I can demonstrate, if you'd like to help." Dayrt beamed at her.

Alere rolled her eyes. So much for being a captive. She was willing to wager Daryt had already put that particular detail aside. He was a cheerful and talkative man, not a very intimidating one. He was good and kept his head in a fight, but it hadn't really come to that here, and she was glad of that. They wanted little more than to be left alone to work.

"I don't suppose you'd like to learn how to operate some of the equipment? We can teach you how to search for artifacts." Daryt asked hopefully. Alere rolled her eyes at Miha, who shrugged and grinned. As long as it was a good ambush, Miha didn't much mind if she didn't have to take part.

Anonymous

She liked this man.  He was very warm and affable, and was hardly threatening at all.  She nodded in agreement to his statements about mages and their power.  "I'd love to help!" she says excitedly when he offers.

He asked if she wanted to help search for artifacts, and she opens her mouth to answer, and her face falls.  "I...I can't.  It's dark out, and my father will be wondering where I got to....I can come back, though," she offers hopefully.

Anonymous

"Well, hurry back out as soon as you can. We'll be waiting for you."

Miha smiled to herself and aimed another arrow at the first. That got rid of what could have been a rather mood-spoiling surprise. The girl was free to go, now, and whether or not she came back was up to her. Provided she didn't tell anyone about them, they would happily give her a tour, or if she preffered, let her be.

Anonymous

"I probably won't be able to come back until morning," she says apologetically.  "Will that be alright?"

She waits for their answer, then extends her hand to the man.  "I should introduce myself.  My name is Laurel.  It is a great honor to meet you."

Anonymous

"Oh, the honor is ours. I'm Daryt, the lady behind me who insists on rolling her eyes is Alere, and our other partner is Miha."

"Just make sure to show up as early as possible. We get started quickly."

Anonymous

She looks around as Daryt introduces himself and his companions and smiles back at him.  "I'll be back right at dawn," she assures him.  "I can't wait to help you."  She releases his hand and waits for his reply, then makes her way back out through the wall.

Anonymous

Daryt smiled as he watched her go, then turned back to his work. The day was not done yet.

Half an hour before dawn, the crew was up and ready to start again, with some the oddest looking equipment in the world -- devices of every shape and color ranging in size from a few centimeters to one that looked like a pair of skis with spikes sticking out at odd angles. Daryt smiled, he would be able give some demonstrations for once.

Anonymous

By some miracle, Laurel had managed to wake and put on some of her less-nice clothes before her father and their one servant awoke.  She scrawled a quick note--"Out with suitors, hope you don't mind  :wink: "--and made her way as quickly as she could to the secret entrance.

She stopped by the wall and looked around.  Nobody was near... She lowered her voice and called softly to the architects within.  "It's me, Laurel," she said before pushing through and vanishing behind the apparently solid brick wall.

Once there, she looked at the strange equipment with a bit of confusion.  "....what's all this?"

Anonymous

"Hello, Laurel. Are you ready for this? We have all sorts of stuff here, but let's start with the basics." Daryt handed her something that looked very much like a compass with spikes for each cardinal direction. "Each spike is a magic receptor. The warmest one shows the direction of the greatest concentration of magic, though down here it could lead you all over the place. We've set it to filter out background spells and our own auras, but it still goes haywire. Think you'd like to try it?" It was rare they went on artifact hunts using these -- you could so much more by more advanced methods -- but this detected normall very interesting things, and Daryt wanted to treat his guest to a little show.

Miha, meanwhile, was asleep on her feet, not really seeing the point in all this. Alere was checking the equipment once again -- when Dayrt got excited, he could overlook routine things, and that could be bad. Wouldn't want to go on a wild goose chase all day.

Anonymous

She took the strange-looking device and listened to Daryt's instructions, nodding when he was through explaining.  "I think I can handle it," she replies, her eyes wandering over to the two women.  One hardly seemed consious, and the other was looking over the equipment--making sure all was in working order, no doubt.  She wanted to help with everything, but, well.... one step at a time.

She returned her gaze to Daryt.  "So where do we start?"

Anonymous

((Sorry it's late, I was busy with stuff and then my muse kinda died))

Alere looked up and smiled. "We start by making sure we have what we need." She handed Laurel a belt with various chisels, brushes and picks, as well as two knives. "Those are the tools of the trade, some of them will let you dig out one speck of dust at a time -- sounds boring, but you can never be too careful. Why don't we see what you can find, and then we'll decide what to start teaching you."

Daryt cut in, the non-standard equipment was a point he liked to explain right away, especially in this case. "The knives are for protection -- the blue handled one is enchanted, but the other is a souvenir. Sorry we can't give you anything better, but we don't want you to have worry about carrying contraband."