Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Spider Lily Blooms in Spring (Open)

Started by Hyacinthus, December 23, 2023, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyacinthus

"Surely, you see? Even the green one agrees with me! Caw, caw, pipipi!"

When was the last time Erstwhile had found himself on the receiving end of a scolding from more than just Neverlie, the autumn king couldn't help but woncer? He had many a subject-- some more 'cordial' than others, but while he had spent serval cycles overseeing the absolute necessities of his role (and, admittedly, little else), he couldn't quite recall the last time anyone other than Neverlie had made note of it. Admittedly, it was rather amusing to watch.

"Hm... well, I suppose you have a point. My dearest attendant does such a good job of handling the day-to-day affairs of our kin that it slips my mind to check in on them once in a while." As if to accentuate his point, the autumn king folded his arms, raised his right hand to his chin, and pondered for a time. The evening sparrow picked at her feathers, pruning herself-- a tick of anxiety she'd developed over the years as the second in command of the autumn clan. Her body drifted on a cool wind as she waited for a response-- little 'hnnn's and 'hrmm's and 'pipipi's escaping her lips as her anxiety boiled over.

"...Oh, what harm could a quick visit do. I need to tend to the Spider Lilies, anywho."

Now it was Neverlie's turn to gawk wide-eyed at the king, if only for a moment, before excitedly swooping in to deliver the firmest of hugs around his neck, beyond elated with his response-- and his wordplay wasn't lost on her either. "TRULY SO!? VERILY!? Caw, caw, pipipi! My Tyrnalhann returns to me!" She practically screamed, the most emotion the fairy of crows had thus far shown-- the most positive, at least. Erstwhile simply chuckled a little at her elation, before looking over toward Veride.

"Tell me, how has the Queen been? It's been... a rather many cycles since I've set foot in the Unseelie Court. I normally send Neverlie in my stead."

visualspice

Veride brightened nearly as much as Neverlie had and gentle stargazer lillies unfolded where her hair rested on the ground at her feet.

"That's fantastic news! I'm sure your entire court will be dancing to see you return!" She gushed. And at rhe mention of flowers.. her eyes went wide, curious as she moved nearer to his autumn majesty.

"Spider lilies? Oh, those sound like an interesting of flower!" Her hair seemed to actually perk up, in its volume - as well as shade. Her eyes, as ever, danced in a multitude of colors, not unlike those of an opal.

"I don't think I've ever had the pleasure to see such a flower!" And she gasped, for such a thing was quite rare! "Is it a rare autumn bloom?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

"Among the rarest, in fact. I was very pleased to find them in my little corner of the faelands— they so rarely show up anywhere else. So I made them a part of my garden, right in front of my home. They have such a pretty red color; like the kiss of dusk on the evening sun, or the freshest drops of blood from a deer's wound. They really do brighten the garden in their own way."

Erstwhile closed his eyes and reminisced on his "home". It was still too early for him to return there permanently, but he did enjoy stopping by every so often to ensure that things were still in good enough shape. The lilies were healthy, the fallen leaves were tended to, and that the living trees were properly obscuring the dying ones— plenty of shade for the mushrooms, you see.

"In fact... if you're so curious, why don't you—"

"ABSOLUTELY NOT. NEITHER A CHANCE, NOR A SHOT."

Oh, my. Neverlie had gone from swooning to near-swearing curses upon her 'Dearest Tyrnalhann' in seconds, removing herself from his neck and glaring the harshest, most rotten death into his eyes. That is to say, she seemed a sliiiiiight bit displeased at whatever idea Erstwhile was about to propose. "'Why don't you', 'why don't we'? Why don't you ask your Autumn Queen!? Or any of your subjects, mind; You'll find their answers not so kind!" She fumed; her midnight feathers bristling with disdain as she gave a pointed gaze towards Veride. "Green is not our way; In our kingdom she'd last not a day!"

"...How about an afternoon?"

"How about an afternoon? Caw, caw, pipipi— an outright pain, you tend to be!"

visualspice

Veride looked about ready to burst.  Neverlie didn't need to intervene, because it was far, far too late now. The words had come out and the young spring fae suddenly threw herself bodily at the Autumn King and began to take his hands as her laughter tinkled all around them. And she twirled and twirled with him as she gushed out more words than was seemingly possible about her excitement before she was all but glowing with color.

The perfume from the sudden explosion of flowers that bloomed upon, not only Veride, but the poor autumn fae around her, was overwhelming, even the entire grass beneath their feet was carpeted in the sweetest, tiniest Blooms of a thousand pastel colors. And somehow, Veride's hair had grown as well, lengthening into a great pile about their feet and equally hidden along with her ankles and toes within the flower bed that continued to bloom.

"I would love to see the Autumn court!"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Neverlie let out quite the loud 'CAW'— the loudest that she'd thus far 'caw'ed in the presence of the other two fae, who were now happily laughing and swinging about joyfully at the idea of a visit to the Autumn faelands. At the very least, it made sense for Tyrnalhann to rejoice— it was his HOMELAND after all, his kingdom of withering rot and beautiful decay that he so rarely took the time to tend to— but a SPRING FAE!?

"Surely you jest! My dearest king, I MUST protest! The madness this would bring— ware you not the wrath of Summer's King!?" There was more desperate pleading in Neverlie's chirping eloquences than anger now, as she flew betwixt Erstwhile and Veride— gagging at the veritable fog of putrid perfumes and frivolous frills that had all but enveloped them to pull Erstwhile away, ending their little dance early.

"Ah, yes— I've not spoken with them in some time. I wonder how they're doing these days. Likely leading the majority of summer's stories from the front, as always, if I—"

"Caw, caw, pipipi! Listen carefully to me! We cannot know the consequence of ickle Spring in Autumn— Hence, if aught befalls the smelly fae, I fear my king shall rue the day!"

Quite the grave concern, Neverlie brought to light. And certainly, she wasn't wrong; The four clans of the season's fae were typically quite cordial with one another, unless one clan acted outside of its role within the cycle. Spring and Autumn were polar opposites— it was rare for such fae to meet outside of the unseelie court, but unheard of for harm to befall a Spring fae at the hands of Autumn. It could start all manner of chaos if something were to happen to Veride... a thought which Neverlie could visibly see crossing Erstwhile's mind.

Which is probably why her groan of disdain was made all the louder when he eventually replied, "Right! Well just have to be extra careful then."

visualspice

Despite her exuberance gushing from her form, she did not miss the caution cawed by Neverlie. She settled in place and cocked her head thoughtfully. 

"Is the Autumn court so dangerous?" Veride couldn't help but ask. Upon meeting their King, she simply presumed it was much like her own.. then she audibly gasped as she remembered her own court's terrible dangers.

"Surely it couldn't be any more dangerous than spring. "

..could it?

Hyacinthus

Perhaps Veride had grown a second head. 

Perhaps her flourishing hair, so vibrant and full of blossoms and blooms, had been set ablaze in a fury of rage and red. 

Perhaps she'd become a mortal! 

Any and all of these were just as like to be true, when both Neverlie and Erstwhile alike stopped their bickering, as if entranced or shocked by something beyond their kin, and turned to look at Veride with blank, if not speechless expressions. And stare they did, for a time, with naught but the wind and a stray field mouse to break the silence.

...And then both laughed. Vigorously. Heartily. Yet there was always a clear difference between the Fairy King and his closest follower— for where Erstwhile laughed 'with' Veride, Neverlie very pointedly laughed 'at' Veride.

"'Surely it couldn't be any more dangerous than spring.' Never I, Neverlie, shall hear so hilarious a thing! Caw, caw, pipipi!" Impressive, truly— The Fairy of Crows rarely lose her composure, yet Veride had managed it from each possible angle— mirthful laughter and fathomless frustration alike. Erstwhile, in turn, was just as amused— though there was a far clearer innocence in his joy, as he laughed for a different reason.

"The four courts are alike in that regard— Their beauty and their malignity." He explained, both to Neverlie and Veride. "Indeed, we of the Unseelie can be quite a bit... 'too playful' at times. But... having said that, not all of my subjects are quite like me. For instance... many of my subjects only tell lies," He continued, before looking specifically to Neverlie, "While others like to tease and fuss." This, of course, earned him an indignant pout— which he promptly ignored.

"The spider in my garden... might be a little bit of a problem. She very much does enjoy the taste of Spring fae. The more vibrant, the better."