Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Faren Goes Renegade: The Beginning of an Adventure

Started by Anonymous, May 21, 2006, 08:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Faren stepped into the tavern and took his usual seat. The men at the adjacent table stopped their game of Marogen to give him a smile and a drunken hello, and he returned the gesture with a smile and a wave like he always did. It was the same old routine, and it had been that way for the longest time. He seemed happy, but he wanted nothing more than to see a change.

For the first time in ages, he stood up and walked over to the counter, then took a seat and slumped down. The barkeep walked over and tried to cheer him up.

"Hey Faren, what's the matter? You're usually back at the table drinkin' down ale by now. What gives, eh?"

"Umm...Oh, hey Biggs. I was just thinkin'...Maybe it's time for a change of pace, ya think?"

"Whadaya mean? Looks to me like you've got life kinda easy, the way you're headed."

"It's just the same old stuff, though...Magi aren't a dime a dozen anymore. The ones ya do hear about nowadays can kill ya by whisperin' at ya. It just don't suit me anymore...The life of a bounty hunter is gettin' mighty borin', Biggs...I gotta find me a new niche in life..."

"What, somthin' ta pay fer yer drinks? You've known me long enough to know that I've never turned away a friend in need. And the reason..."

"Because you know they'll return the favor, I know...I musta heard that a hundred times...But I'm tired of bein' needy, ya know? I just...I gotta get out there and do SOMETHIN' with my life...Huntin' magi has its kicks, but it's no way to spend a lifetime, ya know?"

"Ya got a point there...But why you gettin' worried about this all of a sudden? I thought you'd be itchin' ta get over ta the Office and pick up a new job!"

"It's just...not the same as before... I gotta get outta here, Biggs. I gotta do somethin' to get myself goin' again! I gotta...."

Faren left his seat, a gleam of rebellious wanderlust shining in his hazel eyes.

"I gotta go on an adventure!"

"Well, go on then! You can find an adventure anywhere these days, what with the crime and the wierd stuff happenin' around here...We'll find someone to warm yer seat while yer out!"

"Thanks, man...I knew I could count on you. Wish me luck!"

"Already done! Now get goin', 'fore all the good adventures get taken!"

And Faren walked out of the tavern instead of stumbling for the first time in eleven years, finally ready to make something happen. And he was going to make it so big, he would go down in history. A fiendish grin crossed his face as he fingered the pouch of throwing knives on his belt, and he ran out of the city walls, starting his grand adventure.

Anonymous

"Sirantil Valley...never really liked it here all too much. Always had to watch my back, desperate bounty hunters losing their quarry, instead resorting to preying on travellers with a bit of coin. Least that is the story told back home." Akah mused quietly to himself, it'd been quite some time since he'd travelled to Connlaoth. He'd grown tired of his brothers' attempts to belittle and annoy him in his soon to be realm. It's really what brought him here in the first place, "Annoying little lordlings, if they weren't my half-kin I'd have broken their skulls years ago." Letting out a sarcastic chuckle, Akah spurred his mare into a gallop.

Akah managed to get his father's permission to travel abroad, despite the danger of being slain. "A soon to be Lord must make connections father, how is our name to become great if we continue to wallow in the mediocraty of our domain?" He'd pleaded and luckily his father gave in. But the worrysome ol' geck had forced him to travel with a full bodyguard. Which had been quite annoying at first, until he managed to "get lost" and escape from the fools back in Draconi Forest. It was quite convenient, he'd just send a bird with word of his safety when the circumstances permitted.

A hint of color un-matching with the landscape began to appear on the horizon. He was finally nearing Reajh...

Anonymous

Faren had not traversed more than a mile before another person caught his attention. Acting quickly to avoid being seen at first, he dodged behind a nearby clump of bushes and waited for the figure to pass. If they confronted each other, Faren would be ready; his right hand already clutched one of the throwing knives in his belt pouch.

When the traveler did not pass his hiding place, Faren grew impatient and decided to change tactics. Instead of observing the person from hiding, he would greet them openly and determine then if they were friend or foe. He put away the knife in his hand and stepped back out from the shrubbery, standing directly between the traveler and Reajh. He then waved both hands over his head as a sign of peace.

"Hail, sir! Where ya from?"

Anonymous

Raising an eyebrow at the sudden appearance of such a traveller, Akah brought his mare to a halt. Lifting his free hand in greeting and letting the other rest on the hilt of his hammer, he smirked.

"Hrmph, hail to you as well. Though considering your sudden appearance I would assume you were watching me." Danielle shuffled on the soft ground, neighing quietly. "I hope you don't wish me harm friend, for as you can see I'm travelling alone. If you truly must know, I travel here from Adela."

Anonymous

The figure was not only a man, but a cavalier; he strode forward until within sight of Faren, the brought his steed to a halt, raising one hand as a symbol of peace. After a moment, the man on horseback gave his greetings to him, along with a warning. He then said that he came from Adela.

"(That's on the other end of the Valley...That should be as good a direction as any to go in...)"

"Nope, no harm meant, just bein' careful. Gotta watch out fer those mages and whatnot...Their rabble ain't liked well in this city...Anyway, life in Reajh's gettin' dull, so I'm headed off on an adventure. Sounds kinda childish, but I gotta get my kicks, ya? Anyway, you came through the Valley, right?"

Anonymous

"That I did." Akah replied, "I have plans of stopping in Reajh, I'd prefer a cooked meal over having to catch myself a rabbit and build a fire." He chuckled, dismounting from his horse. "And you thought me possibly a mage? Heh, I prefer to shy away from such cowardly forms of trickery. Though the lands I come from are home to plenty with such skills."

Grabbing the reins of his mare to keep her steady, Akah stretched his legs. Cricking his neck, eyeing the man questioningly, outstretching his free hand. "Though pardon me friend, my suspicions of you made me forget my courtesies. Might I ask your name? For you are the one that approached me."

Anonymous

"Aye, pardon the poor manners...The name's Faren, friend. Used ta be with the mage-huntin' Office down in Reajh, but with business so slow, I got sacked..."

It was a lie; Faren had been working for the hunting office all his life until twenty minutes ago, but he wasn't about to give that bit of information to a total stranger.

"Anyway, you got a name yourself? Sorry ta ask, but I figured that'd be the only way ta get around ta the introductions, eh?"

Anonymous

Standing up straight, he smooths out the wrinkles of his tabard.

"Well of course I have a name!  I am Akah Nymeria, first son of Griz, Lord of Florishen Keep. Although you may find it peculiar I'm travelling alone. I happened to get seperated from my bodyguards, they were... Incapable in their duties." Shifting his weight, the soft jangle of coins is heard. "Er... I am vouching upon the fact that my house is not well known in these lands." Shows a nervous smile, swishing his tail.

Anonymous

Faren chuckled at Akah's comical remarks about his guards, but he became serious as he heard the distinct clatter of the cavalier's coin pouch.

"Ya'd better stow that cash away if ya want ta keep it...Reajh might do well for itself, but some of the people don't, so be on guard. Just a warning...Anyway, I oughta be off. If ya need a place ta stay, just mention my name ta Biggs. He owns the tavern down in the city, he'll have a room fer ya. Serves a mighty brew too...Heh heh...Anyway, be seein' ya."

Faren walked past Akah and towards the Valley, unaware that he would soon be headed back to Reajh with a new purpose.