Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Singing in the Woods(Devon Aster)

Started by Anonymous, June 04, 2006, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"As I went out one evening down by my father's lawn
A gentleman came up to me; these words to me did say:
"What makes you pull those branches? what makes you pull those boughs?
What makes you walk through these green fields without leave of me?""

The Laoidheach laughed as he sang. This was Connlaoth, after all, so perhaps they would appreciate the song. Even if the only folks listening were the trees. Birds and beasts scattered when he came, which disappointed him, since after all, his singing couldn't be that bad. So maybe he was human, but he was a minstrel, and minstrels were beloved of the woods, or they were supposed to be, anyways.

He knitted his white eyebrows together, sitting on a stone. "Yes, my dear, I am a minstrel." His cackle resounded throughout the woods. "Tam Lin, you know? Kidnapped by Them..." his voice lowered to a whisper. "Can you imagine that, child? Them? The Gentry. The Good Folk! They took him, you know. For at the end of seven years, They pay a fine to Hell. At the end of seven years, They pay a fine to Hell," He clapped his gnarled hands together like a gleeful child.

"To Hell! The fine to Hell!" The Laoidheach's voice was surprisingly strong and loud for one as old as him,

He was an old man with squinting, reddened eyes and tufts of white hair. His cheeks were sunken and hollow; his eyebrows large and bushy. In his arms he cradled a harp. Indeed, he was the very image of insanity.

Anonymous

Not all animals were being driven away by the old man's voice.  One rabbit in particular was a bit too occupied by the green thing chasing it.  The thing had claws and fangs and the rabbit was all but confused since it was human shaped yet acted like a predator animal.  The only thing the singing served was to muddled its sense of hearing as it ran.  And ran it did... right to the man, skittering around his feet and dashing off into the trees beyond.  It wasn't overly concerned with the human, barely even registered his being there aside from the voice.

Following the frightened rabbit, Saat'bas burst out of the trees.  He wore nothing more than a simple leather loin-cloth and a golden sun painted on his forehead.  He'd heard the singing, but his attention had been focused on his prey, so he hadn't taken the time to assess where it was coming from.  But now he caught sight of the man...

He skidded to a stop, digging his claws into the soil and kicking a small cloud of leaf litter.  He came to a rest a little off to the side and some feet away.  He tilted his head.  His interest was immediately switched from hunting the rabbit to checking over this odd human.

Old... the man was old.  Saat'bas managed to work that out.  It wasn't that he didn't know of aging, it was just something that was outside his own personal experience.  He didn't grow old himself.  Animals tended not to grow so old that it was very evident and those who did were unusually vigorous and cunning.  So seeing something in the last stages of Life tended to be a momentary shock.  As a result, he was very quiet and still as he regarded the man.

Anonymous

"What is goodness?" the old man asked, patting the air."Goodness is life, my child. But life is perversion. It is old age, it is glory. Or should I say: gory?" His bitter laughter cut through the air. "Light will not triumph over darkness; it is a candle in the night. Flickering, flickering, to be snuffed out. And those who come later see nothing, for it is dark! Dark is the good, my child?" His voice lowered. "But will you give your soul to darkness? Will you let it take your mind, and watch as your soul hovers between two worlds? I have seen many things. Have you seen Cerberus, the Hell-Hound, in all his hunger? Have you seen the yearning in his eyes for life? For anything, for something bright? Or the Hydra, heads buried? Can you imagine his torture?" His voice rose. "Can you imagine the pain that the light brings? Oh the light! Oh the brightness! Life and death! A grand drama, replayed and replayed. Tam Lin and the Queen. She won in the end, you know. He and his princess died, and she took their souls and played with them. And she was only an avatar of the Dark. Imagine it, in all of its power. Power is of the dark. Be of the dark and draw your power from power, but lost your mind. Be of the light and be nothing. Be snuffed out." He cackled maniacally.

At that minute, he seemed to notice Saat'bas. "Shall I play you a song?" he asked, a malicious song upon his face. "A beautiful song, perhaps? A song of the light, of angels and life and rut? Or one of the dark, of torture and horror and fear? Choose, quickly." he urged, pointing at Saat'bas.

Anonymous

Madness has touched this man's mind, that was Saat'bas' conclusion as he listened to the ministrel.  But was it madness born of weakness or something else?  He didn't know this Tam Lin and the Queen.  Cerebus and Hydra, though, those stirred some very old memories.  Someplace he hadn't remembered in a very long time.  Hell he knew of.  He'd never been there or even knew if it really existed on every world.  It was the realm of Death and, as Death couldn't hold him and he'd heard it was an unpleasant place besides, he had no reason to seek entrance to confirm its existence.

He didn't answer the man's question right away.  He wondered if the minstrel had sought Knowledge and had his mind broken for the effort.  It might explain his words.  A few things seemed twisted around, but one couldn't expect much from a mortal mind trying to hold Knowledge, if that was the case.

Saat'bas sat, crosslegged, and rested his hands on his knees.  His attention was keen, unwavering.  Suddenly, he grinned.  He saw no reason to hold back with this man.  He was curious to see just what ways this mortal's thoughts travelled.  It was uncertain whether the minstrel's mind would accept his words, but he tried anyway.

In a voice that was not physical and seemed to be both of male and female timbre (or, perhaps, neither), Saat'bas said simply...

Does he sing as his heart desires.

Anonymous

He cackled maniacally. "Perhaps. I will sing, then." He struck a couple of discordant chords that marked him either as a very bad musician or the song as a very bad song.  "A local song." He laughed, before singing in a light tenor voice which strangely sounded young. "I met a maid in Connlaoth, her hair the wind, her eyes the stars, her lips as red as blood." He paused. "Bloodred! Blood-dread! Oh, the blood that is shed!" His voice lowered to a whisper, and, no longer singing, struck a few plaintive chords. "She left the world, you see. Bloodred the bloodshed in those last moments. No more blood now. No more life." The musician sounded almost normal.

He whined, "I provided for her all I could; I shielded her from the Mordecai. What more did she expect? And when I tried to fetch her, I could not." he laughed bitterly. "I am no Orfeus."

"Why pu's thou the rose, Janet,
Amang the groves sae green,
And a' to kill the bonie babe
That we gat us between?" 14. "O tell me, tell me, Tam Lin," she says,
"For's sake that died on tree,
If eer ye was in holy chapel,
Or christendom did see?" 15. "Roxbrugh he was my grandfather,
Took me with him to bide,
And ance it fell upon a day
That wae did me betide.
"

He sang again. "But there was no happy ending for us, not even a partial one." His mood changed quickly as he asked, "Would you like to hear another part?"

Without waiting for an answer, the old man sang,
"Out then spak the Queen o Fairies,
Out of a bush o broom:
"Them that has gotten young Tam Lin
Has gotten a stately groom." 34. Out then spak the Queen o Fairies,
And an angry woman was she;
"Shame betide her ill-far'd face,
And an ill death may she die,
For she's taen awa the bonniest knight
In a' my companie.

35. "But had I kend, Tam Lin," she says,
"What now this night I see,
I wad hae taen out thy twa grey e'en,
And put in twa een o tree."

He ended the song with a mad cackle.

Anonymous

Saat'bas' ears lowered slightly at the first chaotic sounds.  His sensitive hearing didn't make it a very pleasant experience.  But his attention was soon caught by the man's words.  He sat quietly and still and listened.  He tried to pick out the bits of truth from the rambling.  The erratic nature of the singing and talking didn't bother him much.  The song meant little to him otherwise, he had no great feelings for certain fairies.

He considered the words as the man's song came to an end.  Ah, so madness it was from a broken love.  At least, that's the best he could make of it.  Saat'bas gave him a sympathetic look.  He wondered if he shouldn't kill the man, did the human even know how to enjoy the pleasures of life now?

Then again, the old minstrel had invoked the name of Orfeus.  If he'd been foolish enough to test Death itself, Death might be all too eager to have him.

Saat'bas stood and walked over to the human.  He reached out to the harp, intending to pluck a few strings.

Does he speak of lost love, stolen by Death.  Has he paid the price for it.

Anonymous

How dare the creature come so close to his beloved harp? It was his harp, his intrument, his life. The creature would defile it, defile his pure vessel! Anger overwhelmed him and cleared his mind. The Laoidheach hissed, cradling his harp protectively. "My Lady is mine, and she answers to me only." his voice was low and warning, and for the first time, he sounded almost sane. Almost.

He glared at the creature with watery eyes. The thing...the impure monster was not fit to appear before his harp. His sad, forlorn lady. Hear her sing plaintively as though her strings were plucked by an invisible hand! She begged so obviously for release. "You may not defile her!" he snarled.

Anonymous

Defile her?  Saat'bas grinned in amusement.  Humans and their things.  Things were nothing, easily made and lost and replaced.  But perhaps it was something above and beyond.  Maybe it was baptized with love and loss.  It was strange thought to him.  He kept and carried nothing.  Maybe it was magic.  His antennae twitched as he tried to discern if it was.

The man seemed upset, though, and that worked against his nature.  He could not please someone if he angered them.  So he drew his hand away.  Then will not touch, as he desires it.

Instead, Saat'bas crouched back on the ground and watched the man.  He wasn't certain there was anything he could offer that the other would accept.  But then, that never stopped him before.  Here in the forest his abilities were quicker, it took only a few seconds to bring forth a nice, ripe apple.  He held it up, curious to see if the madman would take it.

Anonymous

The minstrel was mollified and much saner now. With clearer, but still reddened, eyes, the Laoidheach inquired, "Who are you?" He eyed the apple warily. It had seemed produced by magical means, but the creature could have easily gotten it from a tree. An apple...now which song had an apple in it?

"Eat of the fruits of the Otherworld, and ye shall be bound there." he said, but took the apple anyways. Afterall, this was Connlaoth...right?

He did not bite into it, though, but rather stared at it warily as if he was afraid that it was poisoned.

Anonymous

Saat'bas wasn't quite as pleased with the minstrel's words as he was with his taking the apple.  His expression was quite serious, almost offended.  He spoke again, this time his words carrying a hint of censure.

Do not bind.  Do not wish to.  Life must be free.  Would not bind Life.

He rocked back slightly on his heels.  But, in not more than a moment, the frown was gone.  He gave the man a reassuring smile, motioning for him to eat.  He watched with keen interest.  His tone was much more friendly this time.

Does he eat.  Is it pleasing?

Anonymous

The Laoidheach shook his head. The Gentry were known to lie when they pleased. Not that the man-beast seemed to be one of them. Still, the musician did not eat the apple. Something in his muddled mind forbade him.

Yes, he was poor, but he would not take charity. Even if he were starving, he would rather eat rocks than eat what another had given him. Shoving the apple back at the person, saying roughly and angrily, "We won't take charity."

Then it struck him that the creature had not answered his question. "Who are you?" he asked again, this time demanding.

Anonymous

Charity?  For a moment he was confused as the man rejected his gift.  The smile faded.  He threw the apple off into the trees, frowning and making a very faint growling sound.  Human pride!  Does he think this one offers delights because of his poor condition?  Is not so.  Is not pity.

He rocked a little more.  Humans could be stubborn and mad ones even more so.  He reconsidered the idea of killing the old minstrel.  If the human was afraid of receiving pity, that was the form it would take.

Saat'bas remained silent on the question at first.  He was still in a slight fit of pique.  But he'd already spoken to the man.  He was never one to hold on to such a small offense, rejection or not.  He settled into a more quiet attitude again.  His reply was simple.  Is of Life, is of Nature.

Anonymous

The Laoidheach was growing tired of this conversation. The other one held all the cards in his hand, or so that other one thought. The other one was too arrogant, too falsely proud, and  the Laoidheach found the creature troublesome. And boring.

And how enigmatic of the creature! Of course he was of life, of nature! And did the Laoidheach care? "What should I call you?" he asked.

Anonymous

Does he wish, may he call this one Saat'bas.  He sat down on the ground.  He was beginning to feel troubled.  He hadn't managed to think of anything that might please the old man.  In an absent-minded way, he tapped his finger on the earth.  A small squirrel peeked out of the underbrush and scurried over.  He barely seemed to notice, though he stroked the animal's fur.

Saat'bas tilted his head, his attention back on the minstrel.  What does he wish?

Anonymous

To the minstrel, the squirrel episode seemed nothing out of ordinary. In fact, he barely registered it. The minstrel was too busy humming his song. Eyes refocusing as the other spoke, he said, "Why would I wish for anything? I have all I need."

(OOC:I'm sorry, but I'm not feeling crazy enough to write something crazy...)

Anonymous

(OOC:  That's all right, then.  Saat'bas can be a hard character to play against (and to play with, to be honest, but I love the green bugger).  What say they part ways for now?  Maybe they'll meet up again some other time :-) )

--------------------

Saat'bas considered that for a little while.  Perhaps the old man really didn't wish for anything.  It happened.  Madness could free the mind just as it could trap it.  Sometimes it did both at the same time.  He lifted his hand, the squirrel scampering up his arm and perching on his shoulder.  The little critter chirpped in his ear a few times.

He rose and grinned down at the minstrel.  With a strange amought of grace that still seemed somehow wild, he bowed.  It worthy of respect for someone to resist his influence, insane or not.  He held out his hand.  In it was a small pouch which he lowered to sit on the rock next to the human.  It contained a gold ingot.  He knew enough that gold tended to be valued by most mortals.

Is not charity.  For the song he sings and shares.  Saat'bas didn't know if the minstrel would accept it, but it was there if he wanted it.  That done, he turned and walked off into the trees.

Anonymous

(OOC: Yes, that is a good idea.)
The Laoidheach thought for a while, staring at the money. He never really took money for payment, but rather bed and board. But the crazed musician was tempted. After a while, he sighed, and turning his back to the pouch, started to play a love song.

It was a song about two sisters who loved the same man. For that, the elder pushed the younger into the river, and she was never seen again. But a harper made a harp from her bones and hair, and he traveled to her father's hall. There the harp condemned the sister, and the father lost two daughters.