Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

From One Bad Decision...

Started by Anonymous, June 17, 2006, 07:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

(Yeah, I was. It kind of seemed like Zya was distracting from the point of the thread, since when I joined in I hadn't realized it was a one-person-directed thread. I was gonna wait for you to continue your conversation with the other girl before saying anything else.)

"I suppose we should," Mith replied, at the same time realizing that this stranger had been studying her facial expressions. Though Mith wasn't at all sure whether this woman had seen through any of her half-bluffed defenses, she was somewhat encouraged by this kind of scrutinization. It meant that her defenses were not completely misplaced. As far as rifts were concerned, Mith admitted to herself that she was very curious about them, though refrained from voicing it out loud.

Anonymous

She nodded peaceably, trying to bring up the subject of the law again. "I was hoping that you coud bribe the law on the grounds that I am dealing in illegal goods-use your imagination." Obviously, the girl would not enjoy the other way of doing things.

"Though first," she stared at the girl's clothing with disdain, "I'll need to get you a new set of clothes. Follow me." Without looking back, she sidestepped to her wagon, but kept the rift open for the street brat.

The dogs, thankfully, were away. After all, Kaliska wasn't sure how her new associate would respond to gigantic, green dogs. Anare also was gone, no doubt after the dogs. A good thing, since some of the ignorant folks of this world thought ravens were unlucky. As though Anare would hurt a soul!

Well, she amended whimsically, he sure never hurt anyone's soul. Just their eyes.

((Yeah, but Miri and Neiryn's conversations were becoming a bit forced-who am I kidding?-very forced until Zyanith came along. I guess I'll just post a "nodding sagely" sort of post, since the last post was mostly geared towards Zyanith's question.))

Anonymous

(I'll go revive Zya on that thread, then.)

Mith raised an eyebrow at the mention of new clothes. She'd been wearing the same outfit for several weeks, and they had been stolen from a house she had pilfered that just so happened to have a dresser full of clothes her size. No doubt it was for some daughter or young bride, but Mith hadn't especially cared, except by taking the clothes that she thought were least likely to be recognized, or missed.

She followed after the woman, though more out of curiosity than anything.

Anonymous

Kaliska nodded at the wagon. She wasn't all too happy to let a thief into her wagon, since the ending was usually tragic...at least from Kaliska's point of view. The last time she'd let a thief into her wagon,  that woman reprimanded Anare-who had just been doing his job-, and then rummaged through Kaliska's things. And then, when Kaliska tried to drop her in the desert,some twins literally dropped in and saved that bitch.

Still, it would be a nice experiment. She could always drop this girl in the desert or stick a knife in her back if this street brat misbehaved. In fact, Kaliska was almost looking forward to it. "Go on in." she said with a small smile.

Anonymous

Mith's curiosity seemed to be clouding her better judgement. However, who could truthfully blame her? After a life spent in constant paranoia of being discovered and worry for where her next meal would come from, Mith was ready to take risks to better herself. She climbed into the wagon, reasurred by the familiar brush of her dagger hilt against her leg. It only took a few seconds for her to get situated, and, once sitting, she crossed her arms, still attempting to maintain an expression of complete nonchalance.

"It's not that hard, really," Mith reflected, "You can get away if things go wrong."

Anonymous

Kaliska followed after her, eyes searching for any sign of disobedience or robbery. There was none, and the woman seemed to be attempting bravado. She allowed herself another smile.

Picking up a bag that was at her feet, she tossed it to the girl. "There should be something in here that fits you." It was the truth, but all the clothes were of average quality. She wasn't going to waste finer upon a street brat.

Anonymous

Mith dug through the clothing, reflecting that she had never actually been able to choose between clothing before. It was almost a little daunting, though she refused to let show it. Even so, it took several minutes before Mith found something that fit her. "Something" happened to be a button-down white shirt, brown pants, and a coat that, surprisingly, greatly resembled the one she already carried, though not nearly as badly worn. It took her only a few seconds to transfer her meager belongings - a hairpin for lock-picking, her 'profit', and the small dagger - into the pockets of her new coat. After she was finished changing, Mith looked at the woman with a "Well, now what?" expression on her face.

Anonymous

Her almost smug expression quickly disappeared at what the girl chose. It wasn't the most expensive thing in there, but it definitely wasn't the cheapest. The improvised potato bag was, and apparently the girl had enough sense not to take it. Dreadfully scratchy, those things were. Or maybe it just didn't fit her. This girl had better be worth it, or Kaliska would make her pay.

Kaliska pretended to be preoccupied, examining a dagger that she had found lying around. Street brats felt better when they retained some shreds of privacy, and anyways, she was always prepared to sidestep should the brat submit to temptation and try to stick her unawares. She looked up a while later, to be greeted by the sight of the woman staring at her inquiringly. She smiled in response and pocketed the dagger, obviously expected the other woman to make the first move.

Anonymous

"So," Mith began cautiously, one hand absentmindedly fiddling with the lowest button on her newly acquired shirt. That particular habit was one she had picked up several years ago, and one that she usually exhibited when either nervous or simply bored. She was still uncertain about what this woman had in mind as far as work went, but if it got Mith out of her current financial situation, she was all for it.

"What now?"

Anonymous

Had the woman not been listening at all? Kaliska thought that she had explained it all quite clearly. She gritted her teeth, but replied, "I cause a disruption, you bribe the law, and then we run." There was, she realized, no reason to limit their operation to simply Ketra; they could make money off a couple different cities. All annoyance forgotten, she grinned, then introduced herself. "You may call me Kaliska."

Anonymous

"I'm Mith," she replied with a slight, cautious smile that didn't convey the restlessness she felt. It was against Mith's nature to remain still for long, especially this shortly after a theft. Her new clothes didn't help, either; the material was completely foreign to her, and as a result kept her fidgeting to remain comfortable. This new arrangement would definately take some getting used to. She pushed that particular setback aside, however, to focus upon the task at hand - earning even more money than she had planned for the day.

"When do we start, Kaliska?"

(Sorry that sucks even worse than my normal posts. x_X Just got back from college camp and I can barely think straight.)

Anonymous

(You've probably noticed by now that I'm not posting nearly as much as I used to, or nearly as lengthy posts. That's because I'm gearing up for The Big Move to college, and in my case that means going somewhere several hours away and leaving a town I've lived in my entire life. This Big Move is at a very insane stage right now, what with me just completing college orientation camp, and chances are I'm going to have very little time online to RP - chances are most of my Internet time is going to be dealing with getting last-minute college details completed. Things should settle down a week or so after I get moved into my new dorm - and move-in day is in exactly three weeks. So I'm gonna let you know right now that most likely I won't have much, if any, time to reply to RP posts. As such, feel free to back out of any plots or plot development, and we can either return to the roleplay once I get settled, or we can pretend it never happened and go about our merry roleplay ways. ^^ No hard feelings either way, I promise. I just want to do the responsible thing and stop leaving my RP partners hanging for long periods of time.)

Anonymous

[OOC: II can wait. Enjoy your move, college career, settling in, [fill in the blank] ^_^]

Anonymous

"Right now, if you're willing." she replied. The girl seemed a bit restless, although why Kaliska couldn't tell. Maybe it was just a thing thieves did. She searched through one of the chests, coming up with an old, wrinkled map of Adela. Her employer had seen fit to provide her with it. "Pick a city." she said, handing the map to the girl.

[OOC: Bad post...bad post...*reprimands self*]

Anonymous

Mith looked at the map curiously. Unlike most in her profession, she could read a little, though not beyond that of an elementary child's level. She had discovered that reading was to her benefit, as she could learn the lay of a city much better if there were words attached to places for her to remember. However, she had never seen most of the city names on this map before. Rather than sound like a simpleton, Mith sounded the words out in her head as best she could, and resulted with another blank. Nothing. She sighed inwardly and allowed her eyes to slide out of focus so that the map went blurry, then reached out and randomly touched a section of the map. Upon focusing again on the map, Mith found that her finger had landed directly below a city's name, making it seem as if she had chosen the place purposely rather than completely at random.

"There," she said firmly. Her guesses had almost always been good ones, and though she couldn't exactly pronounce which city she was pointing towards, it was obvious where she meant.

Anonymous

As it happened, Kaliska couldn't  read very well either. She peered at the name closely. Damned Common script...It was a Mu-something, and she had absolutely no idea where or what it was. "Yes, there." she said, hoping that Mith would supply the name. Unless Mith couldn't read either. She tried to figure out exactly how to use that godforsaken map-thingy. Her employer had said that it would allow her to get wherever she wanted; she hadn't enlightened him as to her illiteracy. Ah well...this Mith proably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if she sent them somewhere else.

Picking a random scene from her head, and hoping fervently that it was still in Adela and not some other dimension, she stepped through, but kept the rift open for Mith. The people seemed normal enough, with most of them the humans that inhabited Ketra, so she simply assumed that they were still in Le'ranna.

Anonymous

(I'm back I'm back I'm back! Sorry it took so long but I didn't factor in the INSANE WHIRLWIND OF STRESS that would hit me as soon as I tried to move in. Hopefully I'll be back to RPing by this weekend. That should give me enough time to re-read everything and remember what in the world I was doing. XD)