Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The pains of tree climbing...

Started by Anonymous, July 03, 2006, 01:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Aspazia pushed the hair out of her eyes, staring up at an unfamiliar tree. She was trying to decide if to climb it and get a few fresh leaves to study or pick a few off the ground. Fresh leaves were the best choice, so she could get a feel of the texture, thickness and range of colour. But the leaves on the ground were easier to get hold of... She considered this decision carefully, since her tree climbing experience was limited and there were no branches in immediate reach.

Climb or not climb? But what if she fell? That would be embarassing. At least there was no one to see her. On the other hand, what if she fell and got hurt? There would be no one to help her either. Between physical pain and embarassment, she couldn't decide which was worse. (Physical pain, yes, but only marginally). Maybe the wind would pick up and it'd knock down a few leaves. That could work, too. The wind, however, only seemed to want to pick up when she was rearranging leaf samples and NOT when she was trying to collect them; the air was as still as a spooked bunny on the wolves' night out.

Sighing in resignation, she carefully placed her backpack on the ground and began the horrible process of climbing up the tree, all the while cursing herself for not having had a more active childhood. It was painfully obvious, though, that her efforts could be characterized more as "tree-hugging" than "tree-climbing" and she gave up not a few seconds later, breathing heavily and cursing her pathetic physical condition. She took a step back and looked up at the tree, asking herself if a few leaves were really worth it...

Anonymous

Maharisael walked through the mountains, weary and hungry. She'd heard that this way lead to Connlaoth...Connlaoth of the prigs and the idiots. Well, if it did, then she'd either seriously misjudged the distance or she was completely and utterly lost.

But unlike the wandering folks in the story, this girl-or this Eater who looked like a girl-was not helpless. She cast her senses around, as far as she could in this weakened state, and searched for some emotional residue. She found some to the left of where she now stood. Emotions as complex as this set was meant humanity, or at least sentient life. And even if Maharisael couldn't follow a map to save her life, she could follow trails of emotion, no matter how old or how faint.

She peeked from behind a tree at the sentient being who had given off the vibes. Quite human, or so the being appeared. The pale, androgynous apparently-child stepped out of her hiding place, and giggling, said to the back of the woman, "Boo." No, Maharisael had not lost her sense of humor in all those decades, nor her immaturity. An ability to surprise was vital in her line of work, especially if you liked the taste of citrus.

Anonymous

"Urk!"

Though deep in thought, Aspazia reacted at the sound immediatly, twisting around, pressing her back against the tree and hyperventilating wildly. Though she'd once been able to minimalise her reaction to any noise (no matter how sudden or loud), ever since her father literally blew himself up, her first reaction was usually to dive under the nearest table. Thunderstorms always managed to embarass her lately.

Calming down, she steadied her breath and tried to regain her posture, since her dignity was now completely lost.

Seeing the child, Aspazia blinked. What was she (or was it a he?) doing in the middle of the wilderness? Obviously lost, concluded Aspazia.

"Hello there," she said, raising her hand to wave awkwardly.

Anonymous

The Eater was trying to project herself as a lost, lonely child to perhaps attach herself to this victim. Some Eaters acted as parasites, leeching from a select few. Maharisael preferred a wide range of...er...associates, but she was hungry and desperate. She needed to get to Connlaoth, and the best way to do it was to keep a few victims by her. This one would be her first. "I'm Mahari." She said with a small smile. That name sounded far less imposing than Maharisael. "I'm lost." The Eater smiled sweetly, completely unaware that a smile did not go well with her past words. After all, it had been over five decades since she'd felt anything.

"Please, do you have anything to eat?" she continued, whimpering piteously. Her eyes, though, blinked peaceably at the woman. "I'm hungry."

Anonymous

"Oh.. oh sure!" Aspazia nodded. She started rummaging through her backpack quickly. "I picked a bunch of berries today - more than I can eat alone - and I might have some bread left... hmm... some apples I haven't even touched... And some delicious pastries I received from this lovely old lady in Serendipity..."

She started taking everything edible out, but the apples looked a bit rotten and the bread was hard as stone by now.  At least the berries were salvagable. So were the pastries, though they were a bit smooshed.

"Ah, okay, I think we can manage. Come over here... eh... Mahari, was it? I'm Aspazia. Nice to meet you..." She smiled in what she hoped would be a reassuring way.

Anonymous

Maharisael-er, Mahari-relaxed with relief. This woman was obviously quite young, even by human-years, and obviously didn't know how to read faces very well. Otherwise, Maharisael's little mistakes might have been noticed, and she couldn't have that.

She couldn't help but wrinkle her nose in distaste at the human food. Since she had stopped feeling five decades ago, she also stopped eating. Human food had for her the nourishment and taste of sawdust, after five decades of eating the finest soul-food. The weakest emotions had for her far more favor than the finest physical meal.

"Hello, Aspazia." she said, still in the little girl voice that she often employed. She smiled back shyly.

Anonymous

Aspazia felt the slightest bit awkward, having almost never dealt with children before. However, she welcomed company, especially since walking all alone through the wilderness wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Speaking of wilderness, it was quite bizarre to meet anyone this far away from civilization, no matter HOW lost they were.

"Okay, I have to go and fill the water flask. I'll let you eat in peace. But after that, maybe you'll tell me where you're coming from and where you're going."

She paused and looked around, trying to figure out in which direction the spring was. The sound of water was so faint, she feared it might become indistinguishable if the wind picked up. She still had water in the flask, but it wouldn't be enough for two people, especially since her pace might be slower with Mahari in tow.

"I don't have a destination in mind, so I'll be happy to help you on your way." She got up and looked at Mahari again. "Stay put, I'll be right back."

Anonymous

The Eater felt something akin to relief. So the woman would let her "eat" in peace. Still trying to fit into her role, she smiled sweetly. "Thank you, come back soon." Maharisael at least meant the second part: if this woman disappeared, then she would have nothing to feed upon and ultimately perish.

That the woman wanted to hear her story worried her. After all, she could hardly tell the prey that she was Maharisael, latest in a line of emotions, and wanted this woman to be her host.

No, she would tell her that her mother was Sera and her father Gal...Gal...Cal, and that a big, bad man had taken her two days ago without her parent's consent. That he was mean and  that he'd beaten her badly, and then she'd run away.

Anonymous

Aspazia found the spring soon enough. The water was clear and fresh, so her only concern now was getting back. After filling her flask, she looked around, taking in the landmarks. She had a pretty decent sense of direction in forests, partly because she'd lived in the middle of the proverbial nowhere for so long.

She made her way back slowly, taking her time. It would probably be a bit tricky dealing with Mahari. 'Maybe I shouldn't have left her alone,' thought Aspazia with a twinge of guilt. 'But then again, if I crowded her, maybe she'd have bolted... Would have saved me a bunch of trouble.'

Still, she felt endlessly relieved when she returned and saw Mahari still there.

"Ah, good, you're still here. Now we can talk."

Aspazia plunked herself on the ground, near enough to Mahari without being a nuisance.

"Maybe you can tell me what brings you in this corner of the wilderness."

Anonymous

Maharisael took an apple and nibbled at it. Predictably, it was the worst thing she'd ever tasted in her life. She threw it away in the direction from which she had came.When her new host came back, Maharisael was sitting innocently, legs folded. She was ready for any questions the host might ask, and she was ready to harvest the emotions.

She smiled wanly, "I'm glad you're back." And she was. If this woman hadn't come back, then her lifeline would have been gone. Now what she had to do was foster an image of vulnerability, so that this woman sticked to her like bur. "I was so scared." she whimpered. "I  thought I heard something."

Maharisael had been ready for the request. She bit her lip, trying to look like she was stifling a sob. "There was this bad man there, and he took me away when I was just picking berries. He wanted to take me to..." she hiccupped to cover her indecision. If she said Serendipity, then she would end up where she started. If she said Connlaoth, who knew if this woman would take her? After all, Connlaoth was hardly popular.

Anonymous

"Oh, it's okay, dear." Aspazia tried patting Mahari's back. Yep, this sure was awkward.

She realised she really wasn't good at this comforting thing. For years, the only person she'd see was her father and he was just so... cheery. Disturbingly cheery, in fact. But she could imagine the child's terror, despite her stilted social skills. It was sad and the slightest bit outrageous. Who WAS that man and what did he think he was doing?!

"You're safe now. Or... you'll be safe soon. As soon as we get to civilization. Just... um... Everything's going to be alright."

Aspazia was at a bit of a loss for words and all she could do was pat the girl's back mechanically.

"I'll take you wherever you want to go."

Anonymous

How...awkward. The one living being she happened to see had no social skills. Maharisael sniffed like the traumatic child she wasn't. Still, it was almost amusing. The woman obviously didn't know what to do. It was pathetic.

She would have preferred not swallowing the awkwardness, but she was desperate and this prey seemed capable of little else. She ate the awkwardness that Aspazia projected, and that nearly did make her cry. Gods above and below, she hated awkwardness. It was so hard to digest. At least hesitancy had some flavor.

"Mmmm." she said, not paying attention anymore.

Her ears, however, perked up at Aspazia's next words. "Really?" she asked, the eagerness undisguised, all pretenses of being sad gone. Then she realized her mistake and added a sniff.

Anonymous

"Oh, of course," Aspazia replied, taken aback by the sudden shift in mood, but relieved nonetheless. At least she wasn't crying, or anything.

"I've been all throughout this mountain ridge and it's about time I got back to... somewhere that isn't nowhere... y'know?" she chuckled slightly, but her eyes drifted up at the tree. Leaf samples had to wait for now. Besides, she'd gotten plenty already. Maybe next year she'll be back around the same time and finish the job, but for now, she had a different task.

"So... I'll take you anywhere you want..."

The wind started blowing suddenly and several leaves drifted loose. Aspazia sprung to her feet immediatly and grabbed one of them. "Ha! Finally! Got it!" She examined the leaf enthusiastically.

Ah, well, maybe they didn't necessarily need to wait...

Anonymous

"My village is in the mountains, near Connlaoth, but not in it." she said eagerly. That way, if this girl was a magi-user, then all would still be well. Maharisael figured that if they got close enough to Connlaoth, then she could just ditch this woman and travel the rest of the way herself.

She was perplexed. What was so special about the leaf. Maharisael didn't ask, though, preferring to just swallow the emotion sent out.

(OOC:Yagh, my muse is...*scrambles off in search of muse*

Anonymous

Aspazia sat down, examining the leaf.

"Hmm. Connlaoth. Okay. Maybe I'll find a town with a library there." She held the leaf for Mahari to see. "I often study plants. Trees, too. Just to see if I can discover any useful properties, you know?"

She rummaged through her backpack and pulled out a battered old notebook and a piece of coal for writing.

"I don't suppose you can tell me what kind of tree this is, do you?" she smiled distractedly while openning the notebook.

Anonymous

Maharisael let out a breath with relief. So, the woman was not magical. That simplified things. Oh, I'm sure it does have some." She replied smoothly. "It might be hallcinogenic." The "girl" appeared amused at the thought. "You could try some to see." she said, smiling innocently and wondering what would come of this comment.

She sighed, and leaned back against the tree. This woman was damn near useless.