Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bakers and Magic-Users(ZenMasterWalrus)

Started by Anonymous, July 28, 2006, 08:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Sour dough!
Not the sourdough. It’s sour.
Of course it’s sour, you daft zephyr. What’d you expect it to be, sweet?
I say sourdough. The smallest piece right there.
Why the smallest piece? Get the biggest?
Because I say so.

And so forth.

Stealing bread was proving much harder than Kieran had thought. For one thing, he had to actually enter a building, and there was absolutely nowhere to hide if he was caught. And, the voices were bothering him with their incessant chatter: in this case, “advice� on which piece of bread looked best. Actually, it was turning out to be more of an argument, with several parties (and within those, factions) debating between which kind and which slice of bread.

It was enough to drive a poor, Connlaothan boy crazy, these voices in his head. Certainly it was enough to distract Kieran from the task at hand. He didn’t even touch the bread loaves, but simply stared into space.

“You, boy!� The baker moved towards him, glaring. She was a formidable looking woman, and reminded Kieran of his deceased-but-unlamented(at least by him) Aunt. “Get out of the store if you ain’t got no money.�

Deciding that the best thing to do was to get out of her way before she smacked him, Kieran promptly obeyed, waiting outside as his voices continued their clamoring about bread. Maybe someone would feel sorry for him and buy him a piece, or the baker would have to leave on an errand and he could steal to his heart’s desire.

Anonymous

Corentin made his way through the streets of Reajh, his slow pace disguising the old man's nervousness. Connlaoth was a bad place for a man of magic, even one as well protected as he. Were it not for certain items that were near impossible to acquire elsewhere, Corentin would be as far away from this place as possible.

The mage glanced around himself once more, chiding himself for worrying so much. He was in no danger here. He had heard stories, of course, of Connlaoth's secret experimentation- of strange creatures able to sniff out magic, or remain undetected to a magician's hidden senses. Likely they were nothing but rumours. The Connlaothan's total distrust and rejection of magic (an opinion not totally unwarranted- it could be an unpredictable, dangerous force), bred rumours and fear, meaning that most foreigners avoided the country if necessary.

Meaning he'd been unable to find proper directions until he entered the country, and even then they were suspect. He was quite sure that his destination was within Reajh, but nothing more specific than that. He was beginning to grow weary from wandering about the streets like this.

Finally, Corentin came to a decision. He would stop somewhere for a bite to eat (he was famished from his long walk), and then set about looking for a guide. There was a bakery nearby, and it seemed as good a place as any.

As he approached it seemed that he had maybe found his guide as well. There was a child standing outside of the bakery, a street urchin by the looks of him. Perhaps untrustworthy, but in Corentin's expericence urchins tended to know a city's streets better than any of it's other inhabitants, and were cheap besides.

Corentin crouched down next to the youth, examining his face, and giving a little smile, trying to appear friendly.

"Hello there. I'll bet a young lad like you would be willing to help an old man find his way around this city. Especiallly if it were a rich old man, hm?"

He jangled the pouch on his belt to emphasize his point.

Anonymous

Kieran was about to refuse when the man mentioned his fortune. Now that changed things. Of course, it all depended on how much money was involved; he’d never liked giving tours, and everyone seemed to have different expectations regarding tours.

His eyes slid to the man’s money pouch speculatively. The man probably wasn’t as solvent as he claimed, but he probably had some money, certainly enough to pay Kieran.

Then, of course, there was what kind of tour the man expected. Kieran had no intention of showing the sirrah brothels; that was always embarrassing, since most of the ahem ladies involved knew his mother.

“Depends on what kinda tour you want.� He replied, staring up at the man. The guy was tall, looming over him, and he definitely didn’t appreciate the effect. “I can show you an inn and some shops, and the bounty offices, but I can’t show you the bad parts.� There were mages there, and, rumor said, secret covens for mages. Definitely not a good place to go.

He doubted that the man would wish to be showed the bounty offices, considering that the sir looked a bit too old to go galumphing to scour the world for mages; a good thing, considering that every time Kieran passed one of those offices he was reminded of the fact that he was living quite a perilous existence. If anyone even got a hint that he heard voices in his head…

Anonymous

The boy's  eyes had gone almost immediately to Corentin's belt pouch, even in strange Connlaoth, it seemed, the poor were still poor.

"The bad parts?" the wizard allowed himself a small chuckle, all parts of Reajh could be considered 'bad' for his kind. "No, no, I'm simply looking for the place of a friend of mine. A merchant." Corentin listed the street and address he had been given. It meant little to him, but the boy should be able to take him there, or at least point him in the right direction. After some thought: "Perhaps an inn would be a wise idea as well, if my friend does not have room for me."

Anonymous

Kieran wondered why the man was chuckling. He saw nothing funny in what he had just said. After all, everyone knew that magicians made the slums their abode. Still, it was irrelevant. He wasn’t being hired to puzzle through the eccentricities of rich old men.

He frowned at the address. The boy had heard of it once or twice, but if he’d ever been there, then he’d forgotten where it was. But, no, he wasn’t going to give up the money simply because of that fact. “Ah…� he said hesitantly, “I want payment first. In case I can’t find the street.� He swore silently. Kieran had as good as told the man that he had no idea where the street was. “But,� he added hurriedly, just in case the man now wished to leave, “I have several friends who might know where it is.� And if not, there were always the voices to ask, although they would probably lead him in the wrong direction just out of spite.

Anonymous

The boy wanted to be payed in advance. Well, it was what Corentin had expected. Money wasn't much of a problem. The old man had long sinced learned how to be self-sufficient.

"Very well. But be aware that I have ways of finding you if you run off." Corentin pulled a coin out of a pouch at his belt and handed it to the young one. "Now please, if we may be on our way."

Perhaps Corentin should have chosen his guide more carefully. It seemed the boy didn't really know the way. But there was no need to hurry. Maybe he'd even get to see more of the city than he had thought. An opportunity to tour Reajh didn't come often to a magic user.

Anonymous

Uh....that didn't sound too kind. Who was this man? Head of some secret spy service? Leader of thieves? Either way, running away sounded like a very bad idea. He took the coin qiuickly, just in case the man might decide that he didn't need a guide. Tucking away the money, he wondered if the man would award him extra for speedy service.

He was fairly certain that the street was east, only he had no idea which direction was east. The voices seemed to disagree, claiming that it was west, but either way, he had no idea which direction to go in. This was going to be a long trip. He hoped that even if he never found the place, he would get to keep the money.

Kieran just picked the direction to his left, deciding to take only the larger streets. Life was risky enough.