Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shadows Beget Delight, Treaty Begets Union (Invited only)

Started by Anonymous, August 22, 2006, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

--24 hours after the events of  "A Stark Announcement"--

Lamplight shone on cracked, dirty walls, casting a single shadow forward down the narrow passage. Footsteps echoed ever-so-softly around, barely audible over the dripping of distant water or the soft flow of the wind from cracks and air-holes.

The figure held aloft its lantern, peering down the three passageways before it,  as if trying to catch a distant memory. It nodded twice, then vanished down the passage on the far left, immediately sloping downward into thicker, deeper darkness.

These Catacombs had been built far less dense when originally made, but thanks to the good work of the Mordecai, the number of underground cults thriving below had skyrocketed. More and more tunnels had been secretly carved, dug into the hard rock by hands, both human and non. Even the most blunt of people would be able to sense the tingling of magic in the lingering air.

The passageway sloped down, down, down, like a spiral, almost dizzying, the perfectly smooth walls seeming to be fresher then normal. Furthur proof that there did exsist things in this world that had best not be bothered with. No doubt, some mostrous worm...or worms, inhabited this foul place. Yet, the lantern-bearer knew its road.

It stopped, at the bottom of the tunnel, in a large stone chamber, obviously handmade, with a set of ornately carved bones decorating the area. The remains of the worm, no doubt. Used in some cult ritual? Who knows.

He stopped before a large door, adorned with runes, and a large magic circle. Perfect. The man raised his fist and hammered against the door hard, the noise echoing in the silent chamber.

"Open this door. I have come to offer you aid. My name is..."

He paused, almost hesitant.

"Ezel Belber."

Anonymous

Nathair fastidiously licked his paw, apparently oblivious to the events happening outside the door. They weren't his problem. He had absolutely no intention of meddling in the business of immature mages and foolish witch-hunters.

That, of course, was a lie. It was a particularly transparent one too. He had every intention of taking a hand(or paw) in the business of Connlaoth; he simply couldn't stand the thought that he might have been excluded. Besides, irritating people was always amusing.

He had come to Connlaoth a month earlier, heading for Reajh at a slow pace. The cat saw no reason to hurry. When he finally arrived, he had discovered that some stormy idiot had gotten there before him, and practically demolished the whole city. And done a fine job of it, too. Now Nathair was huddled in some pathetic mage hideout in a small form, wet and indignified. Water did unspeakable things to one's fur.

From his position in one of the smaller tunnels, he heard someone attempting to step lightly-and failing Raising his head, he hissed with surprise. This was most intriguing. Who was this man? A mage? The cat got up and followed, curiously examining the man. He made sure that his steps were soundless, or at least, far less loud than those of the human.

After several turns, the human paused before a door, adorned with runes that looked quite familiar. The cat studied them from his position behind the man. A spell for protection, perhaps? Or for hiding?

The cat slowly grew to the size of a boarhound as the man began speaking. When this Ezel Barber finished speaking, the cat said, "I think that you come to look to the mages for help. After all, what could you offer the mages, Sir Barber?"

Anonymous

Ezel whirled around, stepping back in surprise.

"What? Ah...um...a cat! A...really big cat. My apologies, you startled me."

He grinned, placing the lantern on a small, crumbling pedastol.

"I've come to offer something that they have no chance of obtaining themselves. The preverbial "mother-lode", so to speak. I was under the knowledge that a cabal of mages was hiding behind this door. The Mordecai had been planning on launching a surprise attack, but...well, Shango distracted them with that."

He nodded, as if agreeing with himself, then continued.

"Are you a mage too, or some kind of were...cat? You seem most peculiar. What's your name? You already know mine."

Anonymous

If Nathair had been human, he would certainly have rolled his eyes at the man's obvious words. Of course he was a cat, and a big one too. Anyone with an eye in their head would have noticed that immediately. He simply gave his paw another cople of licks, all the while radiating sorely tried patience.

"Oh, really?" the self-appointed ambassador asked. "And why should they trust you?" He glanced distastefully at the door. "Typical of mages to place their markings all over a hidden entrance. I personally feel that a boulder would be far more effective."

He bristled as the man inquired of him his species. "It is hardly polite for you to ask so early in our relationship." Nathair replied. "Suffice to say that I am a cat, and you are a very rude warmonger. As for what to call me..." he shrugged. "Call me what you want. It hardly matters, especially since I expect our association to last a short time only.

Anonymous

Ezel smiled a particularly crafty grin and gave another theatrical bow, a gesture he seemed particularly fond of.

"No no no, calling me a warmonger isn't right. Call me a..."venture capitalist". I've been forced, quite reluctantly, into a position of military leadership. I'm no warrior, I mean, look at me. I'm as skinny as a rail, hardly capable of taking on some muscle-man with an axe."

He smiled wider, tracing a hand down the door.

"I've come for far more beneficial reasons. See, Connoalth is...a rotting fruit. Its aristocracy has long since lost touch with its people. The Mordecai rule through fear and propoganda. Atrocities are celebrated in the streets. I find this...abhorrent. Truly, I do. As such, I've come down here to propose my plan of ridding those who are oppressed of their oppressors."

His eyes flashed darkly, even in the dim light.

"I've come to offer them the chance to destroy this country."

Anonymous

Nathair hissed at the last words. This was bad indeed. This man wished to destroy Connlaoth. As much as he approved of the concept, the ideals that this man supposedly had, the release of Connlaothan mages would be disastrous. After they conquered Connlaoth, would they be so content to negotiate with the other countries? They would no doubt seek to conquer some more.

Still...he tilted his head, considering. Would it not be fitting for Connlaoth to suffer such an end? He had lost relatives and friends to the Connlaoth zeal; this would be his chance to deal vengeance. On the other hand, was this really worth it? The man had a shifty look, like a fox up to no good.

"You will have to debate your case with them, not I." he said, giving his coat a thorough grooming. When he finished, he looked up again and said, "I will not partake in your rebellion,   so save your breath." However, he stayed there, eying the man curiously.

Anonymous

"I would not ask you to join in such a noble crusade."

That smile was still there, as if he was laughing at a joke only he got.

"I fear, however, that if given control over the lands of Connoalth, these...oppressed souls...would become troublesome. I do not wish to unleash upon the world an army of angry wizards, who hunger only for death and destruction. However, as you said, you are not involved, so I will not press you further to help my plan to stem that madness..."

He turned to the door, sighing.

"I fear, due to the tardiness of the answer, be it violent or not, that those who were supposedly staying behind this door may be dead or...simply listening? Who knows. Perhaps my venture into these dark passages will be fruitless, and Connoalth's future is doomed."

Anonymous

The man really knew how to manipulate a cat, Nathair thought angrily. For that alone, he would have happily crushed the man's skull, and eaten him for supper. But there was his so-called plan...Nathair wavered. He was perfectly aware of the saying that curiosity killed the cat, but still...

He didn't quite care for Connlaoth's future, but he did desire to know of the man's plan. "Perhaps I might be persuaded by the validity of the plan. It is such a pity that it will remain forever hidden from one such as I..." he managed a despondent sigh, stretching and turning as if to go.

He hated the man, and truly wanted to kill him. He was being manipulated, against his own good sense, and he hated the man for it.

Anonymous

Ezel slowly turned to face the cat, hesitating as if finding the words hard to say.

"Its, really, quite simple. As you are well aware, a war is about to start. As things go, nobody can stop the war from occuring, and as the typical war-machine starts rolling out, things get thrown into the mix. Almost all of the noble houses have pledged support, and with no other alternative, the Mordecai are being sent along, seeing as the army is expecting an army of "evil wizards" who are responsible for the latest atrocities."

He paused, leaning against the wall casually.

"This leaves the city...well, empty, mostly. It will take the entire military force we have left undamaged after the latest mage's attack on the city to even HOPE to take over Serendipity, even with the element of surprise. So...who is left to defend the city, hm? I have the, um, figures here..."

He held up another envelope, nodding to himself.

"At the most, there will be exacty a dozen Mordecai left in the city. And, eight of those Mordecai were recently assigned to my mansion, in an effort by somebody to...heh...keep an eye on me. As a result, I will very easily be able to keep eight of twelve distracted long enough for the other four to be eliminated and for the mages who live down here to start their revolution. Its not guaranteed to work, some mistake may show up, and I'm unsure how many magic-users down here would be able to, um, participate in this revolution."

He smiled, closing his eyes.

"Yet, there's always my other plan, in that case...which, again, need not concern those who have no wish to see such bloodshed."

Anonymous

The man's plan was simple, almost childish, but it was quite clever. He had to admit grudgingly that this man did know his business. Still, despite its ingenuity, it seemed a bit...well, flawed. He had not mentioned how he would distract the Mordecai, nor how he would eliminate the other four. Still, considering that the man was a human, it was fine enough.

"Ezel Belber," Nathair growled, hackles raised. He was losing patience with this man, who had not only the impertinence to manipulate him, but to do it over and over. "You will tell me your plans, and quit with this charade. If you keep with this impertinence, I may see fit to do everything that is in my power to make your life-for however long you have it- a misery. Now, what is your plan?"

Anonymous

"That depends, Mr. Kitty, what is YOUR plan? If I spill all my secrets, what is to stop you from telling them to somebody who may do me harm?"

Ezel's smile remained, but his eyes flashed dangerously.

"Now it is your turn. I may very well tell you what I seek to accomplish, but only if you swear your allegiance to my ends. I know your kind well, keeping loyalty is very difficult...you'll have to make it in a way I can trust. Otherwise, I'll just be wasting my time with you."

He didn't seem particularly scared about the idea of a huge cat disembowling him, but his hand did rest ever-so lightly on his Rapier hilt. He may be arrogant, but he wasn't foolish.

Anonymous

All things considering, Nathair did not react too badly to the "Mr. Kitty
" epithet. Oh, true, his eyes narrowed and he bristled, but nobody had died (yet) or been eaten (yet).

He considered how much to tell the man. "Because I simply don't care." He gave a feline shrug. "Why should I care what men do? The demon and fae kin live a long time, perhaps even forever. I shall still be as I am when Adela and Serendipity and Necromantia and Connlaoth are but ancient history, perhaps even fables. Your game matters little to me."

He growled in reply. No, he would not bond himself to a mere man. That would be...inconvenient, and he disliked such things. He weighed the options yet again in his mind. "I could swear by Loki," he suggested. Oh yes, Loki, god of tricksters and bad bargains. Or maybe Coyote, another trickster. Perhaps Sekhmet, goddess of lions and representative of death. Such as the death of his vow. Still, it would be best if he didn't get too complicated. Loki would do, if Ezel accepted his vow.

Anonymous

Loki...

Ezel began to laugh, laugh hard. He doubled over, leaning against the wall and laughing, something akin to a cackle. His laughter echoed around the empty tunnels, as if a thousand Ezels were laughing instead of just the one. Finally, he composed himself enough to answer, his voice...different...strained, with a hint of madness in it.

"Yes...very well...Loki will work very nicely. My! I havn't heard that name in awhile. Very well, Mr. Kitty, will you swear by Loki to aid me in my endeavor, and to keep my secrets to yourself?"

Anonymous

Nathair stared. That was...unexpected. Nobody ever let him swear by Loki. This was certainly a refreshing change. There was something wrong with the man's voice, though. He sounded a bit...well, insane. Of course. Most warmongers-er, venture capitalists-were megalomaniacs, or perilously close.

"I swear in the name of Loki, son of Farbauti, that I shall aid you in your endeavors as long your demands are reasonable and not potentially threatening to myself, and only while it is understood that I am not your slave, chattel, or pet, and if  I am treated as such I reserve the right to withdraw my support.  I furthermore swear that I shall not mention this vow or your secrets, except to another who already knows them or when it is necessary. " He stopped there, glaring at the man. "Happy?"

Well, there really was nothing wrong with taken precautions.

Anonymous

He smiled, cocking his head back.

"Well, I seem to be wasting time standing by this door. You've made a good deal of control in this partnership, but I'll let it slide."

He turned, heading up the tunnel again, indicating for the large cat to follow.

"Tell me, how adept are you at...sealing magic?"

Anonymous

Nathair smiled to himself as the man mentioned the amount of control he had. Yes, and he had not guaranteed the man's safety. If the man should insult him, he would still be allowed, by the terms of the vow, which was probably invalid anyways, to have a little snack. Very good indeed.

He followed obligingly, although slowly, to make it clear that he was not a slave. When the man asked if he had skill at binding, Nathair suddenly found his fur unbearably dirty, and proceeded to remedy that condition. Finally, looking up, he replied sheepishly, "Not much. My skills are in another area. Still...one tends to pick up a few things over the years..." he eyed the man warily. "And what have you in mind?"

Anonymous

"Nothing...nothing yet."

He stopped at an intersection, indicating the pathway to the upper levels.

"You will await further orders at your leisure. I'll be able to find you by my own devices. Just becareful, as one manipulator to another: don't underestimate anyone. You've involved yourself in a very, very dangerous business...and once in, there's no easy way of getting out."

He did another bow and disappeared back into the tunnels, the darkness swirling around him and he faded from sight...

Anonymous

Vibrant green eyes watched from the shadows of a side passage as the human called Ezel  walked past.

"Ezel Belber, correct?  Your plan sounds very interesting.  I believe that my assistance would be very beneficial to you."

The black-cloaked form seemed to literally separate from the shadows as it moved closer to the man with the lantern. As he stepped foward the man's Roman features became apparent in the dim light. Shadowed green eyes stared back from behind long black hair. He wore a very devious expression that would send chills down the spine of a lion. "I tire of these pathetic mortals' fears of magic. This country has become rank with that fear and I intend to rid myself of its stench. And you seem like the kind of man who can help me do that."

Anonymous

He considered, then took the path upwards, all the while shrinking himself to a far smaller size. There was very little left for him to do; he might as well take a trip to the fish market...or, what remained of the fish market.That Shango person had been really thoughtless and despicable. He'd pretty much destroyed the fish market! Very sad indeed...Such an individual deserved to be punished.

Anonymous

Ezel stopped, an almost cruel smile playing on his lips.

"Yes...Yes I am that person. How may you help me, Mr...?"

He turned his head slowly, his eyes gleaming in the dim light, a crafty smirk on his handsome face.