Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Shadows Beget Delight, Treaty Begets Union (Invited only)

Started by Anonymous, August 22, 2006, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

(Gah! Post, eaten *sobs* It was a doozy too. Damn evil interweb *shakes fist*)

How long had it been since that other coven laired in the bottom of the Spiral? Chardonnay couldn't remember, it'd been hard to keep track of time in the catacombs, it was shortly after they found Zin, likely on her way to join the maniacs. They were too obvious, completly lacking in subtlety and they deserved their fate - even if it was a little premature.

Burgundy didn't have time for reflections on the past, so she marched straight down the tunnel, one hand on the wall. She'd been down there countless times before, but she'd never quite gotten over keeping a hand on the wall for stability. Just because she hadn't seen herself taking a tumble and breaking her neck didn't mean that it couldn't happen. She could hear Chardonnay behind her, the soft clatter of his boots as he trotted down the initial slope before slowing down.

Unlike Burgundy, Chardonnay didn't feel like bracing himself against the wall, but he walked slowly, easing his feet down and making sure they were solidly on the ground before putting his weight on them. It made for slow moving, but put him a good distance behind Burgundy - which was where he wanted to be. This was her meeting, she'd tried to talk him out of it - or more appropriately, tried to tick him off so he'd leave her alone, but it hadn't worked. If this person at the bottom of the Spiral was half as interesting as she made him out to be then Syrah would need an accurate report of him.

That is, if there was a person at the bottom of the Spiral. Burgundy hadn't had a chance to go to the surface and speak with her contacts lately so unless one spilled a long term plan she couldn't know there was someone there. Chardonnay rested a hand on the dagger next to the pouch on his belt, hoped he didn't need it. Burgundy's magic may have been a clever trick, but her contacts were trustworthy for the most part. He hoped it was just a long-term plan coming to fruitation.

But what could they get done in that chamber in the Spiral? About the only thing it was good for was a secret meeting, something he thought another person wouldn't be quick to confess to a friend, no matter how trustworthy. Unless, said person knew and wasn't invited so they spread the word out of spite. Chardonnay stopped thinking about it, he'd find out soon enough why anyone would find themselves in the bottom of a tunnel in the catacombs.

The walked in complete silence for most of the trip, their cowled black robes providing cover from most normal eyes. Both paused when they saw the cat make its way up the tunnel and both watched it a second before continuing down, keeping silent out of habit more than necessity. For all they knew, it was a familiar, or a summoned beast, and it's master probably knew they were sulking down the tunnel. Not that they needed the element of surprise, they were only here to talk, not to kill or spy.

Near the bottom they saw a faint trickle of light, which seemed brighter than normal to Chardonnay's darkvision and Burgundy's spell enchanced eyes. Both stopped, Chardonnay to pull his cowl over his eyes while they adjusted to the light, and Burgundy to wipe off the ashen dust on her eyelids.

Here came nothing. There was someone in the chasm, now to find out who. Burgundy and Chardonnay clattered down the remaining few feet of tunnel. Letting whomever was in the chasm to hear them, so they wouldn't be startled. Even though they'd all but advertised that they were coming down the tunnel, both paused before the mouth of the chamber and Burgundy peeked into it. When she drew her head out she gestured to Chardonnay: Two men, one black-haired, one blonde-haired. Chardonnay nodded and Burgundy walked into the chamber, drawing her cowl away from her head. Chardonnay followed a second after, taking her lead and dropping his cowl.

In the light, Burgundy's skin was a soft, golden tone, her eyes a dark indeterminable colour and her hair, knotted into several buns held with long black pins, was azure. She kept her hands lax at her side and smiled serenely at the two men, unabashedly giving both a once-over. Chardonnay; surprisingly dark skinned with slightly pointed ears, a light green ponytail with long bangs and silver eyes; tucked his hands into his sleeves and scowled.

Anonymous

Ezel's catlike grin never wavered as the two new people stepped forth into view, his eyes sparkling mischievously.

"Ah, my expected ones, welcome...I had almost given up hope of finding you, but if my memory and intellect serves me correctly, you are...witches, yes? Mages, magicians, sorceresses, whatever you call yourselves, you are ones who use magic, yes?"

He offered his now-typical bow.

"I am Ezel Belber. I have come to offer you paradise on a platter. A chance for vengeance, if you seek it, and power too. I've come to offer a union, here in this dark palce, to bring to justice those most deserving of it, and to grant the wish of many who reside here."

His grin grew wider as he looked, in turn, into the eyes of the three gathered before him.

"I can offer you the chance to destroy Connolaoth."

Anonymous

Chardonnay hated him immediately. Hated the sparkle in his eye, hated the eagerness in his voice, hated that bow, and hated his offer. It came out too easily, then again, he could be speaking to Burgundy and the black haired man. They could know something that he didn't. Though, he was certain he saw the man's eyes linger on him as often as they did on raven-hair and Burgundy. He didn't seem confused by his presence either.

What Chardonnay hated most was the lingering sense that he wanted something from them in return. Nothing was free, and anything that was had strings attached.

"You forgot blasphemous hell-spawn," Burgundy added after the blonde man rattled off a list of titles magic users liked to crown themselves with. "That was always my favorite."

Burgundy could almost feel the hatred flowing from Chardonnay. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed him tightening his arms around himself, curling a corner of his lip in disgust. Nothing unusual for Chardonnay, he hated everyone but one person more or less, and unless this Ezel asked for reasons he would keep them between himself and Syrah. Char was a paranoid misanthrope, but that was why Syrah kept him around. It wasn't hard to find some substance to his hate once the paranoia and misanthropy was sifted out. One of the aces up Burgundy's sleeve was knowing the source of that river of malice. She knew what would soften him, should he need softening.

"That's... quite the banquet you're offering," she purred after the offer was set out. She wanted to take a few steps toward him, but since she would lose sight of Chardonnay decided to remain where she was. "If you want something a bit more personal to call us, then Burgundy will work for me. You can call him," she thrust her chin at her companion, "Char."

At least he wasn't Zinfandel. She would have gone into a shrieking fit if she heard Burgundy tell her complete name. Even though she doubted Chardonnay would care whether Ezel knew his entire name or not, she might be able to gauge just how hot his hatred was running if he corrected her or not.

He remained silent. She wasn't surprised, she knew Chardonnay couldn't see the Mists like she could, but she figured he had the intuition enough to feel their faint stirrings if they were particularly powerful. Now, if Ezel was the man she knew he was, he would listen to her and discover the torch to melt Char's ice.

"Indulge me, Mr. Belber," she continued. "What sort of desperation leads a man to hunt for allies here, of all places?"

Anonymous

Vaerid looked at the woman called Burgundy, wondering why she would question something so obvious.

"Desperation?  He did not come out of desperation.  He came because he knew he would find the help he was looking for here.  Now then.  I seem to be the only unnamed person left here.  You may call me Vaerid."

Bowing in a similar fashion to Ezel's, Vaerid then straightened himself and lightly tossed back his ebony cloak  to reveal the crimson tunic and black leather leggings tucked into large obsidian-colored boots, also made of fine, expensive-looking leather.

Vaerid had long been searching for Acaudric, and saw this as a chance to draw attention to himself in hopes that Acaudric would come seeking him out.  He looked untrustingly at the two who had just arrived and then looked back at Ezel.

"Now, Mr. Belber, will you accept my help or won't you?"

Anonymous

Ezel's smile never wavered, his eyes flickering in the dim light of his lantern, flames dancing in his pupils. He nodded at Chardonney.

"Char it is then. And yourself, Burgundy. I must agree with Vaerid in the manner that I seek not your aid in desperation, but rather in the hope that I may undo Connolaoth's wrongs."

He lay the lantern on a broken pedastol nearby, distrubing a few spiders resting upon the dusty surface. The arachnids skittered away into the darkness, fearing the light as most creatures in this loveless place did.

"This is a nation that thrives on the sins and...whats the word...atrocities of its inseption. Through fear and propoganda, it has made a land of segregation and fear. Such...crimes...against ones such as yourselves must not go unpunished."

He paused, licking his lips as his eyes looked up, seeking out the words. The lie needed to be reinforced. Pretty words are well and good, but you must balance your words with action and drive.

"The only verdict is vengeance. We must seek vengeance for your brethren who were sacrificed to Connolaoth's fear and greed. And I know how to do it."

He swooped his arm elaborately, like a circus ringmaster, introducing the next act.

"I will soon be leading an army to Serendipity, to lay waste or be laid to waste. All but a dozen Mordecai shall accompany my army. In that time, the remaining Moredecai will be...distracted...by my own machinations."

He grinned, chuckling to himself.

"At this point, what is there to stop every sorceror still sane in these catacombs from marching into the city and blowing the whole god-damned place to hell? The greatist rebellion yet seen! The powers of you and your kin, unleashed unto this place, scorching the city to the ground!"

His voice rose slightly higher, echoing some in the tunnel.

"The nobles will be slain, executed for their crimes. Even the Matron shall die by your hands. It is the only chance and the best chance for you and your brethren to undo the sins committed, rebirth and baptize Connolaoth anew, as a new nation, one that embraces freedom, instead of crushing it."

He quieted, the thunder disappating, cool logic returning to his words.

"The returning army shall not...return. You will fear nothing but yourselves. This, you may leave to me. I will give you a kingdom. All I ask if that you make Reajh burn, and you kill the Matron and every last noble house. A bloodthirsty trade, one I ask with great reluctance, but a neccessary one."

He smiled again, that damn, cat-like smile.

It was an offer that would be hard to refuse. An asnwer to the desire to escape from the wretched shadows.

Would they accept?

"What say you?"

Anonymous

Vaerid's hypnotic green eyes fell upon the human.  He was very eager to get out of these catacombs, though this place would have suited the vampire perfectly as a lair,  and was steadily growing more and more irritable as this man drew things out.

"Well, you know that I'll join you.  I was the one that sought YOU out.  And as much as I adore the death and darkness that surround us, I would love to get back to my manor.  Now can we please hurry with our recruiting and planning, Master Ezel?"

Anonymous

((Oh my Lordie, so sorry for seeming to fall off the face of the earth and taking forever to post here etc.etc. Real Life kinda kidnapped me for a while ^_^; ))

Chardonnay was not amused by the nod in his general direction. There was no doubt in his mind that this Ezel character was nodding at him. Nod and smile and promise all you want, I'm no starving dog ready to jump at the first scrap of food it finds.

Burgundy managed to pull off an embarrassed blush as both men tore through her question. Their confidence was refreshing though. She listened to Ezel's speech and once the other man was through pledging his allegiance put a hand over her mouth and looked away from the both of them for a moment. "You'll have to excuse me, Mr. Belber, my ego got the better of me for a moment. I thought you expected to see me, though I lack many talents that would benefit a war room. I see now that you mean to speak with my Master... our Master," she jerked her head in Chardonnay's direction.

The snort was out of his nose before Chardonnay realized it was there, and since it went unchallenged came out at the wonderfully horrible moment after Burgundy claimed that she could bring nothing to a war room. He couldn't help it though, the lie was that bad. As a mage, Burgundy couldn't bring much to a battle, but behind the scenes she knew enough people and had more than enough favors owed to her to be a significant presence. Add her lack of morals and she was anything but useless. Even if she was a clever trickstress when it came to magical ability, she had her other uses, it was why Syrah kept her around.

Burgundy repressed the grin that threatened to spill across her face once she finished speaking. There was no way Ezel or Vaerid would have missed that snort, it all but echoed off the walls. To add to its suspicion she gave Chardonnay a brief, horrified look before focusing her attention back on Ezel.