Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

OOC Sticky for all Connoloath Players:

Started by Anonymous, August 30, 2006, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

The upcoming war in Connolaoth is likely to mean the full and complete destruction of the kingdom, or at the very least, the grand collapse of its central government structures.

As a result, I'll need your voice, as per Nightcandle's instructions, to determine whether or not this plan shall go ahead.

Yay or nay?

Anonymous

At the very least you could.. I dunno.. Spell Connlaoth correctly...?

And as someone who's seen a few 'Wars' happen on SotE, and since i play a Mordecai who'll get dragged in anyway, I say 'Nay'.

Rhindeer

Well, for a war to successfully happen...a lot of people need to be interested in it to begin with, otherwise if it's just a war between a couple of players...it's not gonna do anything. ^^;; I think, personally, that there needs to be more build up before a war happens, especially since you want the war to be political. ^_^

I dunno if, erm, the kingdom should be completely destroyed. O_o It's still a pretty new kingdom, after all, ahaha! Whether the central government collapses or not is up to Nightcandle, since she plays all the government folks.

As for the rest...

Well, we definitely need the imput of all the players who will be involved/dragged in/etc. Given such a big plot is a collaborative effort, so the other players and such definitely need a chance to have their say in the matter. ^_^
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

I'm a bit out of the loop, so I'm not really sure what war you're referring too.

I'm all for a big sitewide plot like a war, but I agree there should be some build-up to it first.

As for Connlaoth being destroyed, I don't know about that. It's an interesting place, and it's nice to have an antagonist for all the nice and tranquil kingdoms.

Anonymous

I say yay.....for the sole purpose of doing the opposite to draco.

mah...but really i dont care, you come, my dragon burns you, all is well and forgotten.

Speaking of which it sure would be great if had some interest on that front.....

Anonymous

Erm...yeah, whatever...I don't know enough about the history of the place though (just found the history ^^) ...if it is going to work, I agree that more players need to get involved. Oh, does anyone have any visuals? A map, picture of the kingdom...etc.?

And are there already any threads that detail up to the war...it would be informative for me to read them, so as to gain a better perspective of what is fuelling the war, the main characters involved, the emotions, any hatred...etc. basically just to get a feel for it.

Anonymous

The war isn't going to start quite yet, and my thread in Reajh and in the Catacombs is offering some build up.

There's going to be more, like a meeting with Ezel and the Matron and a meeting with Ezel and the military leaders before the war really gets underway, so I'm not just rushing into battle here.

Goldie

I already sent you a reply with all of my qualms, but I suppose I should post it here for everyone else to see as well.

I don't like the idea of destroying kingdoms, at all.  People put a lot of thought and effort into the creation of these areas and destroying them would be an injustice to that creativity.  Not to mention I really like Connlaoth ._.

So, if you're heart is set on the destruction of a kingdom, I say nay, if you can compromise and just have a nice little war without so much destroyingness I say yay.

Also, like I said in my PM, be careful about wars.  They can turn from a lot of fun to animosity heaven without preamble.  The last war between Vharyzm and Serendipity ended up in a poll because people got sick of having their characters stuck in a neverending battle.  Personally, I think that wars generally last too long and people find themselves on power trips and Gods appear left and right, unable to be killed or injured or like the Boromir complex.  Shot with 50 arrows?  No problem!  I can still fight and whoop your ass!  Yeah, that one, and yeah, you know who you are if you've done it ^_~

So anywhooooo, I'll leave it up to everyone else I suppose, but please note that destruction of kingdoms means I am completely and utterly nay.

Rhindeer

Yeah, definitely no kingdom destroying. ^^;;; I love Connlaoth, too, and it's the only one of its kind!

And Gold brought up some good points. ^^;; The first war we had, the whole thing was played out but...it did bring up a lot of OOC, er, issues. Fights over powerplaying and the like. It wasn't too fun. The second war we set up some rules ahead of time to try and avoid it, but it still got crazy, some people couldn't keep up, people got mad, and there were still the invincible characters, so we did eventually decide the outcome in a big OOC discussion and poll, and we all talked OOCly about how the battle went, who got hurt by who, who got captured, what injuries everyone took, and all that stuff.

Because...yeah. ^^;; One big giant battle does get crazy, and it does get pretty boring fast.

I think if handled the right way it could be interesting. That is to say, if it wasn't just one big battle that everyone gets stuck in, because not everyone likes RPing out fighting for 20 pages. XDD It gets really repetitive, and then if your character is wounded and can't do anymore, well...you're just kind of stuck sitting around waiting for it all to end so your character can get taken care of and you can do something again. I think that for a war to work, we need to find a way to avoid that. ^^;; Otherwise it is boring...I'm just talking from personal experience based on the last two wars! XD

Of course there are more elements to a war than just fighting. For instance...evacuations, perhaps, or just protecting the citizens? Soldiers being asses in the city, harassing the citizens, and all that kind of tomfoolery? I'm not sure...XD

Which, of course, is why it's important to work out this kinda stuff in advance, since it would be big. The most important thing to avoid, of course, would be the OOC drama that can arise...
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Well, originally, the plan was that the war is, relatively, short lived. Ezel masterminds a series of grand plots involving all the major players on the scene.

However, since general consensus seems to be that having one big battle will not be particularly pleasent, I'll propose this:

I have two plans of attack: one is the big war itself, LOTR-esque battles and the like.

The other is a series of behind the scenes work. For that I'll want a collection of Mercenary and Thieves guild characters, as well as a person who's character can use gunpowder.

As for rules in the war...hmm...

Doing a large scale battle would be hard. It might be easier to have the main brunt of the war, troop movements and the like, to be done in one thread, with the generals of each army dealing out orders and strategies based on environment and stuff.

Another, seperate thread, would involve lessers PCs, the soldiers in the actual battle. Those players will read the orders by the generals in the first thread and give the impression/details from a soldier's perspective.

That way, nobody can powerplay anyone because Generals and Regular Soldiers will be seperate, and it will make both threads shorter.

Anonymous

That sounds pretty good and well thought out! Though I'm still nervous as I've never done enything like this before...

Anonymous

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT:

Anyone wishing to be in the General category of this war, I'm making a thread in Reajh called "Misfortune's Gathering."

Have your character show up there.

Anonymous

Yeah, I DO definately agree with Small Wonder and Gold about that risk of people's egos getting too big and making GODS OF WAR and crap, ya?  But then again, it would seem like an interesting idea, though one thing I've yet to see anything of is the actual details of the war itself, like is it gonna be a civil war?  Or is it gonna be a war between two kingdoms?  A revolution?  You know what I mean?  Because what type of war it will be is gonna play a major part in fleshing the story out, example being that it wouldn't make as much sense to have an underground resistence movement in a war between two kingdoms as it would in a revolutionary war, ya?  Though either way would be good, especially when given the chance for a character to jump ship and go to a neutral nation or even be a deserter of their army, ya?  So, not EVERY character would have to be involved, such as the Thing is with the Civil War storyline in Marvel comics right now, ya?

Anonymous

Sorry for the delay, thread's up.

So...any takers...can go post...

Anonymous

That's in Connolath right?

Anonymous

Anonymous

Well, it looks like the issue is solved, I would have said eye, though the literal destruction, I think, would have been a bad idea.

K?

Anonymous

you should come on down and pay a visit, we could use the extra MINDS up there!

Anonymous

Woah here, what's going on?

I'd like to be enlightened, if possible. I just joined today with the intentions of joining as a Connlaoth soldier but.. if it's going to be destroyed or if a war's going on, I figure both are important.

How could I become a part of this?

Anonymous

((totally did not pay a ton of attention to this thread. *slaps self*))

But Rodolphe will have no problem plotting for this one.