Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

We have to WALK? (DaftDeviant)

Started by Anonymous, December 27, 2006, 05:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"I'd reccomend you smoke a cigarette to take the edge off and get some sleep. However, as you were likely wondering where we're going, well..."

He sighed, looking at the fire again.

"We're trying to find a man named Aleister Crowley. He's...well, not alive. In fact, he died before any of this-"

He indicated the world around them.

"Existed. He is still "alive" because...well, you'll find out when you meet him. He's set on trying to annhilate the BELIAL virus...which, like him, is a relic from the old world. Issue is, Crowley is a bit of a recluse. He's got a kind of...doorway to his abode somewhere around here. I just hope we don't have to get to the desert before we can find it..."

Anonymous

“Sleep? I hope you’re joking.� She muttered beneath her breath, but shook her head at his offer towards a cigarette.

She listened to him carefully as he explained how they were going to find the cure for Crimson, her lips pressed into a straight line as he spoke. A dead man with a door they couldn’t find. Terrific.

“So, we’re just going to wander around with a dying, rotting man in hopes of finding a dead man who has been trying to find the cure to a virus that Crimson might not even have? He’s not a zombie. He’s not a monster. He’s just a sick man, Simon. A sick, tired man.� She ran her fingers through his hair once more.

“Will the BELIAL cure help Crimson?� She asked him after a moment, her eyes flickering over towards Crimson, before back to Simon.

Anonymous

"Beats me. Crowley is a genius, though. He has a collection of old-world stuff, and I mean....he's like, thousands of years old. Like Dr. Who. Not that you have any clue who Dr. Who is, but still..."

Simon shrugged, laying back with a defeated sigh.

"I'm sure we'll find him. If you're loverboy over there dies, though...whatcha gonna do? I mean, about Arca and stuff."

Anonymous

“Dr. Who?� She asked, before shaking her head. It was probably some famous mage or doctor in one of the cities nearby, or, well, in a history book, seeing as how he was dead.

At his question she gave a sharp glare over to him, before shrugging her shoulders.

“Kidnapper. No loverboy. And…I don’t know. I guess all I can really do is hope he doesn’t die. I don’t have anything left…nothing. I haven’t thought ahead enough to know what I’m going to do, even if we do cure Crimson. It’s not like we’ll be happily ever after. We’ll part ways. He’ll go on being a pirate, and I’ll…I don’t know.� She sighed and shut her eyes tightly.

Anonymous

"Learn how to shoot a gun."

Simon smirked, laying back now, obviously trying to doze off. He held aloft his six-shooter, twirling it lazily on his index finger, like some old-fashioned gunslinger (another term she was likely unfamiliar with).

"Afterall, you can't be dead weight this entire trip. Get some sleep, weepy-pants. Tomorrow I'll teach you how to shoot."

Anonymous

April blinked as she heard him. Shoot a gun? Her shoulders hunched slightly as she heard him, before watching him lean back, obviously trying to sleep. She pushed herself to her feet, brushing off the dress and she took a few steps away from the fire.

“I prefer April.� She finally said in response to the name he had given her, before she walked away, making sure to keep the rip in the back of her dress covered with a hand. When she was halfway between the two of them, she finally fell onto the ground, and then proceeded to curl onto her side.

There would be no sleep tonight. She shut her eyes, and each time the wind made noise through the grass, or a branch would creak, or the lake would ripple, she would snap her eyelids open and glance around, before once more settling back. She wouldn’t be able to sleep, and she sighed heavily with this knowledge.

Anonymous

Morning came with a quickness. There was little time for conversation. Simon broke a piece of bread and a chunk of dried fruit for breakfast, and extinquished the fire. Crimson had survived the night--which, as Simon would remark, was the only positive sign he could see.

The ground was dry and cracked, the grass brittle and dead underfoot. The golden grasslands stretched on forever, and a feeling of despair seemed to follow them.

This feeling was not abated by the appearence of the terrible dark clouds overhead. Simon's prediction of a storm was coming true.

As per the usual, they stopped at Noon, and once he'd let Crimson down, Simon walked over towards April, handing her his gun.

"Alright, now is as good a time as any. What I want you to do is grip the handle tight--just get a feel for it. Once you are comfortable with the gun's weight, aim it at that rock over there--there's a Serha Lizard on it. See if you can shoot it."

Anonymous

April walked just a few paces behind Simon as they made their way through the grasslands. She lifted her head up to stare at the dark clouds, and the faint hints of a smile passed her lips. Rain. She’d always loved rain. It would be better than walking in this dry, hot weather.

When they stopped, April made sure Crimson was laying properly along the ground, before walking towards Simon as he offered her his gun. She hesitantly took it into her hands, letting her fingers adjust to the weight of the weapon.

“Just pull the trigger?� She asked, before turning to look out at the rock. She lifted her arm up and pointed towards the rock. After a moment of standing there with a finger on the trigger, she pulled it tight.

April had to bite back a yell at the loud noise, hearing the bullet hit the rock. She almost dropped the gun, but she held onto it, exhaling heavily.

“I don’t think I hit the lizard.� She spoke out after a moment, giving a light laugh.

Anonymous

"You barely hit the rock."

Simon chuckled, sighing a bit as a large droplet of rain splattered on his head. The sky rumbled, and released it's watery deluge down upon them. Like a cork being released from a bottle, water poured on them. Simon was not to be deterred. He looked around slowly, and grinned as he spied a perfect target.

"Alright! See if you can hit the Rainbush!"

The rainhush was like a tumbleweed that floated in the air. It rolled across during rainstorms, the water making it move faster. It was a sizeable target...and it was right in her sights. Hitting it would be easily possible...

Anonymous

April winced as she heard him, before laughing and shrugging her shoulders. At least she was laughing, for the most part.

When it started to rain she looked upwards and sighed. Rain. Finally. It was a welcome alternative to the hot, dry air they had been traveling in. Her eyes searched for her new target, and saw the falling tumbleweed, and winced.

“Hit that? I can’t even hit a rock!� She said with another laugh, before lifting the gun up, and tried to aim at the moving object. She pulled the trigger and took a step back, staring at the tumbleweed. It moved slightly. Maybe she’d hit it a little bit!

“Did I hit it? Or was that the wind?� She asked Simon, turning to look at him, rain collecting on her lashes and in her hair.

Anonymous

Simon didn't respond. He was staring ahead, his mouth agape. The rain was hitting...something. Like an invisible object was there. A bullet hole could be seen in the air, smoke rising from it. The rain began to swirl around them, like a cyclone of water.

The ground began to shake and shudder. The invisible object opened up, like a doorway, with a swirling black abyss and a shining silvery staircase rising up into it. It was surreal--abstract. Bizarre.

"It's perfect! Come on, April! This is it! This is the way to Aleister Crowley!"

Anonymous

April turned to stare at Simon, furrowing her eyebrows at his expression, before turning to look at the shape in the rain and cyclone. When the ground shook, she lowered the gun and stared at the opening door, the staircase.

“What?� She asked, blinking. Could it really be the man they had been searching for? She took a step forward, before looking at him,

“The Crowley?� She asked, before shoving the gun towards him, not really caring how to shoot the thing anymore. The man that could save Crimson was just a flight of stairs away!

Anonymous

Simon raced after her, and they leapt into the doorway, which closed behind them. The stairs were solid, and sturdy. It was everything around them that was unusual.

They were in space. All around them, the backdrop was shifting, turning around and swirling, and they could see stars. Gleaming stars, blazing orbs in the distance, huge, beautiful nebulae. Below them, like an all-powerful, inordinate vortex,was a black hole.

The lights, the stars, the nebulae, all were being pulled into this black hole. As the pair ascended the staircase, the blackhole seemed to grow larger and larger. A comet rushed by, screeching with a bizarre cry as it dropped into a suicidal drop, straight into the growing blackness.

The stairway, which was going up and up, seemed to only get them closer and closer to that blackhole, which was threatening to engulf them soon...

Anonymous

April skidded to a stop once they reached this…place. All she needed was more crazy stuff, things she didn’t understand and couldn’t explain. She followed Simon though, pushing herself through this bizarre world to find this man, to find the man that could cure Crimson.

“Simon…do you think he has it? Do you think he can help Crimson?� She whispered, before she jumped and covered her mouth as the comet went by, blonde hair fluttering about her face and body. She slowly began to follow Simon. She didn’t understand the dangers of the black hole, but whatever they were walking towards didn’t look friendly, and her hair stood up on the back of her neck.

Anonymous

"I think lots of things, April. I just don't bother to speak my mind. Least, not till I have something to speak about."

The staircase was sinking into the black hole now, and soon Simon had stepped into a veil of darkness, vanishing within. The bizarre panorama continue to spiral above April, and the staircase gleamed eerily.

The way forward was once again bathed in darkness. Darkness seemed to just follow April nowadays.

What lousy luck.

Anonymous

April looked at the back of Simon’s head as he spoke. She dearly hoped this man could help Crimson. She would hate to have gone all this way, and have him die such a horrible death.

When Simon vanished within the black veil, she stood there a moment, standing on the staircase. She looked above her head at the beautiful mystery they had traveled through, and then down at the darkness. She swallowed heavily, and her mouth grew dry. What if Crowly wasn’t there? What if they…died? What if Crimson just lay in that field and suffered.

After a few moments of standing there, she took those steps down into the darkness, holding her breath and shutting her eyes, hoping on the other side there would be no darkness, and a cure.

Anonymous

She suddenly found herself sitting in a rather comfortable chair in a rather comfortable room with a rather comfortable looking Simon Black sitting next to her, comfortably sipping a cup of tea. The room, couches, tea cups, everything was very, very white. The only things in the room that were not white were April, Simon...and a third person.

He wore a very fine red jacket, made of soft, expensive looking velvet. A pair of white silk gloves adorned his hands, and he stood tall and thin. A pair of riding boots covered his feet, and he wore blue velvet pants. His face was thin and a little gaunt, with wiry silvery hair and a single monocle covering his right eye, which was bright red. The other eye was green. He smiled warmly, and handed April a cup of tea.

"Hello there. Nice of you to drop in on me."

His voice was rich and accented, with a soft, sensual feel to it, as if he were whispering to a lover. He had an air of excess about him--signs that he was, or had been, a very wealthy man. Cultured, sophisticated--the whole shebang.

"I do hope it was not too difficult on you to locate me. I have been told that finding my home is...well, a tad difficult. Not that, ultimately, it matters because-"

He gave her a sly wink.

"I hate visitors. But, manners and manners, I do believe we must introduce ourselves. Mr. Black and I are already...acquainted. You and I are not--something I must rectify. I am Aleister Crowley. The Wickedest Man in the World."

Anonymous

April continued to hold her breath, and slowly peeled an eye open, before blinking them both open and she inhaled heavily. She didn’t say anything as she looked to Simon, and then the man there. She watched him, taking in every single detail about him. When he offered her the cup, she reached a hand forward to take it with a shaky hand. She didn’t drink from it, she simply held it within her fingers.

“Hello…� She replied back, her voice soft as he spoke to her. She blinked at the wink he gave her, and sank back in the chair. When he introduced himself, she watched him with blank blue eyes.

“So you’re real, you’re actually real.� She whispered out, before furrowing her eyebrows together.

“Simon forgot to mention the wicked part.� Her eyes swung over to him and made sure he felt the glare, steadying her shaking hands.

“However wicked you may or may not be, we need your help. Now.� Well, she was certainly cutting to the chase.

Anonymous

"Really?"

He sipped at his tea.

"My help? Why, how flattering. I suppose it must have something to do with the dying pirate who is lying on the grassland outside the door, hm? Oh, and likely it must involve the great city of Arca sinking away into oblivion. And, quite likely, you have repressed emotional response to both of these said tradgedies and Mr. Black is eager to seek out the monster that slew his wife and child. All of these things have brought you to me, yes? This is why I may help you--because I am what I am?"

Anonymous

April just stared at him, not saying anything. She just…stared. What could you say to a man that knew everything? Did she simply nod? After a moment she turned her head to look at Simon, hoping he would have an answer. Killed his wife and child? And she thought she had it bad. She swallowed, before turning to lock her icy gaze on the man, and nodded.

“Yes, I suppose you got everything.� She replied calmly, leaning back in the chair, crossing her legs elegantly. Despite the fact that her hair was a tangled mess, and her dress was ripped, she was going to have pride in herself, and speak to him like one noble speaking to another. She’d seen it done her entire life, and she figured she was quite good at it by now.

“So, Mr. Aleister Crowly, do you think you could help us with any of our tragedies?� She wouldn’t press him to fix one thing above another. If they were to get help with any of those things, she would be happy. But, in her mind, she hoped and prayed that he would help Crimson, that somehow he would cure him.