Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Scolding ((Evie in>>)

Started by Anonymous, June 11, 2007, 04:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

[OOC: This is after the wolfie-filled thread is resolved.  If anyone objects and wants to go back and play it, fine--people are available for rescue.  But Evie and I were bored... so. Yeah. Here we are. ...And I guess if Rem would like to join in, that'd be fine too.]

Tyroshaun closed the door to his father’s study with a sigh and rubbed his forehead tiredly.  He wouldn’t normally be in here, with his father awayâ€"usually he’d stay in the library.  But it was also the one place he could be sure of some privacy other than his own bedroom, and that made it ideal.  I need a rest, and badly, he thought as he crossed the room to lean against the window sill.  There had just been too much excitement over the last few daysâ€"and far too many peopleâ€"to really play easily on his nerves.  Admittedly, some of it was his own fault, for actually volunteering to go with ‘trina to Cerenis… but he hadn’t had quiet time with his older sister in long enough it had seemed like it might be worth it.  And, in a way, it had been, but he still could have done without the rest of it.  His hair glistened a little in the evening light, still somewhat moist from bathing earlier.

And now this incident with his little cousin.  He understoodâ€"far too wellâ€"the need to get away and be alone for a little while, but that didn’t mean sacrificing safety for it.  (Well, actually he would have gone out unarmed if he were really in a bad mood, but with his magic he didn’t have to worry unless he crossed the Connlaoth border.)  At least she hadn’t been injured… or worse.  And with their parents in the capital, Tyroshaun and Katrina were the ones in charge of their younger siblings.  Heaven and earth.  I should have known this would happen.  I should have thought to do something.  He knew, at least academically, that she should have known enough not to take a risk like thatâ€"even if the lands were technically Glauster, it didn’t change the facts of nature: mountainous regions contain dangerous wildlife.  Just because the land had a name didn’t mean it was any different.  He stared out the window, waiting to hear a knock on the door.

Anonymous

Avrilys shifted from foot to foot, taking a deep breath and trying to stay calm.  She knew she was in trouble - the fact that Tyroshaun had called her to Uncle Cinaed's study was evidence enough of that.  She hadn't meant to be trouble, but... well, she did seem to get in trouble quite a bit.

Finally, she swallowed hard and raised a hand to knock lightly, then cracked the door open.  "Tyroshaun?" she asked quietly.

She just hoped he wasn't too mad.

Anonymous

“Come in and close the door,â€? Tyroshaun said without turning.  Still staring out the window, he tried to figure out just what he was going to say.  He wasn’t mad at her, per seâ€"frightened somewhat, and concerned, yes, but not mad.  He waited until she’d done as he asked before turning around to lean back against the sill.  Crossing his arms over his chest, he looked down at her with an almost amused expression on his face.  He shook his head slightly and said, “I don’t bite, y’know.â€?  He wondered, very briefly, if this is what his father had felt like after every scrape he and Katrinaâ€"or any of his siblings, for that matterâ€"had gotten themselves into, and rather pitied him.

He sighed and rubbed his temple again.  She looked like a frightened rabbit, and he had to admit privately that he probably could look fairly imposing.  Still, somehow the idea was ludicrous, and he tried to figure out how he could put her at her ease, even a little.  Finally he said, “You’re a bloody idiot.  I hope you’ve figured that much out by now.â€?  All right, so maybe that was a little harsh.  But then again, he’d never really been one for mincing words at all.  â€œWhat were you thinking, going out alone and unarmed?â€?

Anonymous

"I just..." Avrilys swallowed hard and looked down at her hands.  "I wasn't thinking.  I just... I wanted to go riding, and I just..."  She sighed.  Excuses didn't count for much in her family.  "I didn't mean to worry you, 'Roshaun, I was just out riding..."

(OOC: ...wow, I can't think.  She hasn't much to say, though, so... XD)

Anonymous

Tyroshaun sighed and walked over to a chair, where he flopped rather gracelessly.  Why was this so horribly difficult? It was just ‘vril, after all.  His little sister-but-cousin-thing who he’d played with for almost fifteen years, who he’d tried to teach what he knew about… anything he could think of.  Who had also, seemingly, become so attached to him that she was scared of even a little anger from him.  â€œC’mere, ‘vril.â€?  He wished this hadn’t happenedâ€"not only because… well, it would have been better, but because he had no idea how he was supposed to be handling this.

Anonymous

Avrilys stepped closer, looking down at her bare feet and smoothing her skirt.  "I'm sorry I caused trouble.  I didn't mean to."  She didn't, really.  She just wanted to get out, be alone, breathe.  She didn't like it when her Aunt or Uncle or older cousins were mad at her.  She was insecure enough about being a bother, despite being part of the family without a doubt.

Anonymous

With an exasperated sigh, Tyroshaun reached out to grab ‘vril’s hand and pull her towards him, like he had when she was little and had had a nightmare.  â€œâ€™vril.  I’m not mad at you, understand?â€?  His tone really shouldn’t have been so severe on that.  It gave rather the contrary impression, most likely.  Still, cuddles made everything better, right?  â€œI understand about needing to get outâ€"better than anyone, you know that.  But you can’t sacrifice your safety just because it gets a little claustrophobic here at home sometimes, all right?â€?  He smiled a little wryly.  â€œBesides, what do you think I would have done, or told Father, if something had happened to you?â€?

Anonymous

Avrilys let Tyroshaun pull her close to cuddle her, and after a moment, wrapped her arms around his neck and cuddled him back.  There were moments she was more than willing to lay aside acting 15 years old and act 5 - being cuddled by Tyroshaun was always one of those moments.  She rested her head on his shoulder.  "If I'd gotten hurt, Uncle Cinaed would have to tell Rosalia.  And she'd come back and kill you," she said jokingly.

Then she sighed and picked at the collar of his tunic.  "I really didn't mean to worry you.  I didn't think I needed to take anything, though, I didn't go far.  I've been out there before, and never seen anything."  Although after seeing that wolf, she wasn't sure that her logic held up anymore.

Anonymous

Tyroshaun smiled as she snuggled in, and wondered what he’d done to make her so attached to him.  Not that he mindedâ€"when he was an eight-year-old she’d been something of a pet to him, and he’d rather treated her as such.  He laughed softly.  â€œShe’d kill me if my father hadn’t just decided to deliver whatever mince-meat was left of me to her.â€?  He paused a moment, then made a face and added, “Although she might decide not to kill me.  She might do worse.â€?  He didn’t really elaborate on what worse she might do, but… well.  His father and his aunt Rosa were, quite easily, the two most temperamental of their siblingsâ€"and quite frankly he was rather frightened of having to face them both at once.  He decided not to add anything about his own guilt and grief if anything had happenedâ€"although, his imagination being really quite overactive, he wasn’t really worried about her getting hurt so much as her getting killed.

Petting her hair a little, he sighed.  â€œI know.  Just because you hadn’t seen anything doesn’t mean you should have neglected any and all precautions.  Anythingâ€"a blade of some sort preferably, or a bow, if you wanted to be aloneâ€"your magic just isn’t strong enough.â€?

Anonymous

"I know," Avrilys said in a small voice.  "I won't do it again, I promise."  She paused for a moment, then smiled.  "Oh, but it was beautiful, 'Roshaun.  You should've seen it close up.  Black and strong and wild and... and beautiful."

Anonymous

Tyroshaun smiled a little. "Good girl.  That's all I ask."  He paused, and then added with a small grin, "And if it's any consolation, my dear, Father won't hear about it from me.  I'm sure he will--he always hears about everything," which was actually something of a skill Tyroshaun had been developing himself, not that his father or anyone else knew about that yet, "but it won't be from me.  And by the time he does it should be long enough past that he won't be able to get too mad about it."  He listened with a faint, wry smile to her description.  He'd seen a wolf or two up close--they were slightly more common up in the mountains, a little farther away from people, and with Aldanrin a much smaller village than the one nearest the house (barely more than a few families) wolves were more willing to come near.  "Beautiful they may be, but they still have sharp teeth."

Anonymous

"Yes, I know.  Wolves can hurt me, I must be careful, and so forth," Avrilys waved him off airily, but only teasing.  She would never actually wave off Tyroshaun and a legitimate concern, and never in that tone.  She kissed his cheek then and absently started braiding a bit of his hair.

"So... I'm not going to be punished?" she asked hopefully.

Anonymous

"Yes, and so forth," Tyroshaun echoed with a trace of amusement--mostly because he knew Avrilys wouldn't ever just wave off something he said.  It was a comfort to him, really, in this case.  He smiled very faintly as she kissed his cheek and started braiding his hair.  He didn't know why he let her do it, but... well.  It amused her, and that made it something he simply let happen.  No, he doesn't spoil her, why?

"Not as such, no."  He was silent for a few minutes, trying to figure out exactly what would be done about this.  Certainly no interference with her debut--she was looking forward to it too much, and she really hadn't done anything bad, per se, and certainly not deliberately.  Finally he said, "You'll tell someone when and where you're riding until further notice, and if you don't have some sort of weapon on you you're not going or taking someone.  Again, until further notice, although that notice will likely come before the other."

Anonymous

Avrilys sighed slightly, but nodded.  "Yes sir.  I'll be sure to be armed at all times, and let someone know when and where I'm going."  It could've been worse.  Uncle Cinaed wouldn't have let her off so easily, she knew that from experience.  "I'm sorry I worried you," she repeated as she stood up.  "I'll be out in the stables, alright?  Not going riding, just in the stables."

Anonymous

Shaking his head slightly, as he was rather unused to being adressed as "sir" by his cousin (and it frankly made him feel old somehow), Tyroshaun waved her off with a vague run along and play motion.  "Good girl."  And then, with a faint grin, he asked, "Are you ever not in the stables?  Should I be worried?"  He was teasing, of course--he knew perfectly well (mostly from the stable-hands themselves) that for all her flirting neither they nor she took it at all seriously.  He also eyed the papers on the desk somewhat speculatively.  He could have them sent on to his father, of course... but he knew how to handle most of it, and it was something to do...

Anonymous

She flashed him a bright grin, her green eyes twinkling mischievously.  Avrilys couldn't flirt to save her life, but that didn't stop her from trying her 'skills' on the stablehands on a daily basis.  "Only worry if Nadi and Aidan are involved!" she said brightly, turning to leave.  "Love you, 'Roshaun!" she said, and blew a kiss over her shoulder as she ran out.

Anonymous

[OOC: For no other reason than the prettiness that is Tyroshaun sitting doing work.]

Tyroshaun smiled a little as she bounced back from her uncertainty so perfectly.  Well, at least that much was good.  He got up and went to the door, and then hesitated.  He'd been meaning to spend a day or two at Aldanrin, but... there was work here, there really wasn't much besides his library at Aldanrin, and it wasn't going to grow legs any time soon (he hoped).  So instead of going out, he quietly shut the door and, after a moment's hesitation, moved around to the front of the desk.  Even alone, he wouldn't sit in his father's chair.  He didn't want to think about the day he'd have to.  So he just pulled his chair up, reached for the topmost paper and a pen, and started to read.