Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Exile and confusion

Started by Anonymous, June 22, 2007, 06:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Usually the plains were vibrant and alive, full of sounds and smells and everything wonderful about this place. The sky stretched in all directions, unmarred by anything except the ridge of mountains to the north (closer now than Faolan was used to). The scent of sun-warmed grass was a comfortable, relaxing smell, like hay (not that Faolan had ever smelled hay, never having been on a farm or anywhere they make hay). And while to an outsider the plains looked dead and empty, like there wasn't much besides endless grass that could ever live here, to someone who'd lived there all his life (and who possessed lupine senses), there was always a hum of life in the background, songs of birds, rustling of rodents, and the tapestry of scents of all the animals that had passed through since the last rain.

Right now, though, Faolan just felt numb. A part of that might have been that he wasn't a wolf just now, merely a human, trudging through the grasslands toward the mountains with his eyes on his feet, fixated on his own thoughts. He'd gone as a wolf until he left the pack's territory - faster to travel on four feet than two - but once outside of their lands... It was too much, with a wolf's sense of smell, of hearing. Too much hearing and smelling all of that and knowing how likely it was that he wouldn't ever be back. And he could still almost smell and taste the blood on his muzzle. It was better to be a human for now, with almost no sense of smell and dimmed hearing, so he didn't have to think on what he was leaving.

Exile. This couldn't be real. Maybe it was some bad dream... But no, the memory of his cousin's blood on his tongue, the way a wolf's jaws so easily crushed a windpipe were all too vivid. He hadn't meant to go for his throat. Truly, he hadn't. But a combination of anger and instinct and his cousin moving the wrong way at exactly the wrong time had all led to a body at his feet, his muzzle coated with blood, and the stupid traveler girl he'd been trying to protect running off in complete terror of the "vicious beasts". And he was left trying to figure out just how he'd killed his cousin.

The young Garou curled his hand into a fist at his side, fingernails digging into his his palm, and stared intently at the ground as he walked. His nails were cutting gouges in the skin of his hand, but that was better than the alternative, which seemed to be to just... sit down and wallow in self-pity. Wolves didn't wallow, and maybe he was only a wolf half of the time, but things were so much simpler, that half of the time. Being a person meant all these muddled feelings and thoughts and silly, painful concepts like names and exile.

Anonymous

Yesterday, it seemed like such a good idea. Fame across the lands as she strung at her guitar and sang the whispers of history as people called out 'Cyprien! The Siren!' while being accompanied by handsome men and be requested by all sorts of nobles.  Her grandfather encouraged it, and said that if she left soon, her dream would come true. He even packed her things for her, bought her new clothes, and gave her a horse! Her parents didn't bother, saying something about how impossible it was to do. But her grandpa said it would work, so it was true! She was so happy at lunch time when she left, promising to write letters to him about her time out.

Ooooh, how he forgot to mention the work involved in pimping out your name.

Scowling, she swiped at the grasses, her face red with the sun and itchy from the never-ending sea of grasses. She had reached a good distance- in what direction, she wasn't really sure, but eh- minor details. Her horse decided to run away while she slept, and on waking in the morning, her luck had hit a low. And finding out that she had allergies?

"If I ever get out of this alive, I swear I will skin you!" Huffing, she was busy throwing her layers of clothing around and continued on her way,  hoping that she would still be alive when she met the next traveler.

Anonymous

Sound carries well on the plains. It's got a great deal to do with there not being much to obstruct the sound, no trees or anything, just grass and the occasional hill. And much as he was trying to ignore the world around him, speech was one of those things Faolan couldn't ignore. Speech was one of those things you didn't expect, when you figured you were all alone on the plain.

His head jerked up immediately, his shoulders tensing, and he'd already started to shift into a wolf before he caught himself, and realized the voice had been that of a girl. And since he didn't hear hooves, or any other footsteps (he would have, with the crunching of the grass), she had to be alone. Not all that much threat, then. He forced himself back to human shape, the bulge of a muzzle receding, the ridge of fur down his back disappearing. Still, he didn't see...

Faolan glanced around and noticed the rise of a hill, the only thing that could possibly be blocking his view of someone else within any close range. He trotted up the hill quickly, letting out a breath as he came into view of the lone red-headed girl. He'd been right - she presented no threat whatsoever. So he simply studied her for a moment, with all the intensity of a wild wolf. No threat in his gaze, simply wariness, and if she does indeed prove a threat, he'd much prefer to run than hurt her. He's had enough of hurting for a while.

After studying her for a moment longer, so still and silent that he might very well blend into the grass, he asked simply, loud enough that his voice would carry to the girl, "Skin who?"

Anonymous

Cyprien had been so caught up in her misgivings and annoyances that she hadn't figured on anyone else being in the grasses. In the middle of cursing out her grandfather, a male voice interrupted her. If she was anywhere near being sane, she would have considered that a rather large 'oops' on her part.

"AAH!" The girl jumped, nearly falling over from her surprise. Trying to clutch her things and her chest simultaneously, she turned around frantically, trying to find the source of the voice. What she didn't expect was a ruffled man atop of the hill.

"Not you, that's for sure. Unless you want to steal my things, and then I'll have to remove more than just your skin, if you get what I'm saying."

She sighed, getting a grip of herself. With a voice like that, she was half-expecting a leader of bandits, spying on her for her stuff. It would have been a big story to take home, how she charmed her way out of robbery while buried in a sea of wild grass. But. It was a man, somewhat around her age, but the sun blotted out a lot of things, so anything was near a wild guess, anyhow.

Figuring that he knew the terrain, Cyprien made her way over to home. "My name's Cyprien, by the way," she called out to him, trying to start up a conversation. Whether he liked it or not, she was going to follow him some ways before it either bored her or terrified her. At least terror would have been interesting.

"You must be a character of interesting history, being out here by yourself. Do you have a name, or shall I keep calling you 'you'?"

Anonymous

"Faolan," he said simply in answer to her question, with a faintly sardonic smile at her words - not a man of many words, certainly, and he didn't particularly want to tell her just why he was walking out here on his own.

He started, slowly, to descend the incline and come down the hill to meet her, though still with that slightly wary look about him. It's not that he was worried about her hurting him, certainly. She was just a girl, a human, and he could more than take care of himself. It was just... odd, that there'd be a lone girl out here on the plains. Quite odd, come to think of it - so she was either very silly, or more than she seemed.

As he came nearer to her, he studied her a little more closely, and then his light brown eyes flickered over her belongings very briefly, not the sort of consideration a thief or bandit would give them, just a quick check that she wasn't carrying any weapons or anything that screamed magic. That done, he looked back up to her, still with his slightly sardonic smile that was really more a smirk.

"I'm not going to rob you." The tone with which he said that rather implied that the thought alone was ludicrous.

Anonymous

Her face broke out into a smile when he went to meet her. "Nice to you meet you, Faolan. Glad to see you're not gonna make me drag my stuff up the hill." To make a point, she took slow, exaggerated steps until they met, and then promptly dropped her things on the ground and stretched.

As she stretched her arms above her head, she gave the man a studying look, measuring him with her eyes to see his worth, in a sense. Her guess was close- unless he was some unnatural creature who never aged, they did seem to be about the same age. And what a lack of conversation he had, as well. Her family wouldn't have tolerated it back home, but she was a traveling newbie. Her intolerance could only stretch so far before she would be skewered.

At the mention of robbery, she laughed, slapping him on the back in jest. "Of course not. This heat makes you say weird things. Should have expected it before I left, but- hey. First-timers are retards, eh? In any case, you seem to beg of a traveling partner, so I will gladly fulfill that role," she announced cheerily, curtsying as she invited herself into his one-man party.  "Name a direction, and I'll happily assist you along the way, singing up rural ditties and reciting legends as we merrily march through the never-ending oceans of wildgrass."

Anonymous

He gave her a look both baffled and amused as she set her bags down at her feet between the two of them. Something about the drama of it made him want to laugh despite himself - it was a little ridiculous. And with the way his life was going just at this moment, all the unwanted stress, he could use something to laugh about. Nevertheless, all she was going to get out of him just now was that same bemused and faintly mocking smile.

"I wasn't gonna make you do anything," he retorted. It was nice to talk to this random traveler, this.. Cyprien... for a while. She was a distraction, if nothing else, and a somewhat entertaining one. Gave him something to think about for a while.

However, her later comments gave him pause. Part of him wanted to ask, Do you always talk like that? Her style of speech was just so... overly embellished, so... Well, did anyone ever speak like that? Merrily march through the never-ending oceans of wildgrass?

What he actually asked was, "Why do you not care where you're going?" Maybe not as interesting as the question about her speech, but probably more important.

Anonymous

She shrugged her shoulders. "Not really. If I'm gonna be the best bard there is, then I have to start traveling around sometime."

She had hoped to get some sort of reaction from her ornate presentation of their situation, but his reactions just weren't there. So she goofed this time. Lesson learned, she guessed. Some people just don't get story-telling when it smacks them in the face. Not everyone lives in Zantaric, anyways.

Men in Zantaric generally were very self-centered and loud. Many of them drank, gambled, dealt in the black market- mention any dirty trade and she has most likely seen someone in the restaurant who practices that trade. But this? A quiet, polite man who is having a relatively decent conversation with her? It was a nice break from the others, surely.

"Well, are we traveling partners now?"

She hoped that they could travel together a little. The plains were huge, and she knew that she was lost.  "Or is this where we part ways?"

Anonymous

"You're a bard?" he asked. He didn't actually speak the rest of the question aloud, but the implication was there, hanging in the air: Out here? What's the use of being a bard when there's no one around to play to? It seemed to Faolan that bards belonged in populated areas, cities and so forth, but then, what did he know about being a bard? They didn't have any of them back home, not as such. A couple members of the family who could sing or play music of various sorts, yes, but not bards.

He considered her a moment longer. On the one hand, he rather wanted to be alone. Being around people he didn't know made his hackles rise on occasion, and right now he wasn't feeling at his most sociable (which wasn't very at the best of times). On the other hand... she was alone out here. And she was a girl, and he got the sense she was lost - not a certainty, just a feeling. He shouldn't leave her alone.

Damn his conscience and sense of guilt.

"If you'd like to travel with me... I'm going north." Heading nowhere in particular, except away from home. Far, far away.