Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

one by air

Started by Rhindeer, February 17, 2005, 09:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"It...it's not your fault, Dis..." Sunni said quietly, voice just barely above a shaky whisper. Her heart still thudded wildly within her breast, her body still quivering with an odd mixture of fear, relief, and...and anger. She couldn't believe it. She just couldn't believe it. After all that, and Slash still tried to pin everything on Dis! She couldn't believe he would try and do that to her. She...she would have never expected...never...she trusted him! Maybe that was why he tried it. Maybe he'd only tried to rape her just so that he could frame Dis. He hated Dis that much...it wouldn't surprise her...he was sick...this whole thing was sick!

Hands shaking, she slowly accepted the shirt and quickly slipped it over her head. She had to release her hold on her torn shirt to put this shirt on, but she did it all as quickly as she could, wanting to show as little skin as possible. Not that Dis hadn't already seen everything...given how he'd found her...she gave another little shudder.

She pulled the shirt down and smoothed it out, her eyes downcast to hide the tears that finally began to swell up in her eyes, tears she'd been too shocked and frightened to cry. It was just...all too familiar...no one ever cared about her. They only cared about her body. That's all. People were always using her body for their own purposes. First for their own pleasure. Now for some sick sort of revenge. Never with any thoughts as to what she felt. Never.

Breathing in deeply, she hugged her arms around her stomach protectively and slowly raised her eyes to Dis, Dis who looked apologetic and actually embarrassed to see her in this state. He was the only one here that was different in that respect. Here he'd been wounded while protecting her, and still he was giving her the shirt off his back. No other man would have done that much for her...and he'd done so much for her already. He probably wasn't even aware of it all.

She rubbed quickly at her eyes with one sore hand, still keeping her other arm wrapped firmly around her middle. "Thank you...for protecting me..." she mumbled, staring at the ground and trying to quell the quivering in her limbs. "I'm just sorry...you got hurt, and...and...Dis, I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...I should have known...I...why would he do that?!"

Sunni knew the answer. It was pretty obvious. But...but she still couldn't believe it...
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

He very modestly averts his eyes from the dear girl as she pulls his shirt on. His expression as he looks out over the clearing is solemn, sad, which isn't entirely an act. Sucks that he let that dumb brute get the jump on him, but hey, it's not all bad, right? His head fuckin' hurts, but Slash is gone finally. What did the big oaf have against him, anyway? Not like he'd ever done anything to him.

"I don't know, Sunni," he says, turning back to her. "Some people just...some people just don't care. They were never taught love, or empathy." He shrugs uncomfortably then offers a hesitant smile. "Hey. Let me show you Styx's trick. Just...give him some room."

The little hummingbird flits back and forth, chirping excitedly, the hum of his wings building into a high pitched whine then rising out out of hearing as he glows brilliant white. In a flurry of shining, multicolored motes of light, his form shifts, he grows, and there stands a creature that is neither dragon nor bird, but some shining and colorful hybrid.  Graceful, long-limbed, and just big enough for two, Styx preens and looks quite pleased with himself, feathers and scales brilliant in the sun.

Smiling genuinely nowâ€"he has to admit Styx looks magnificentâ€"Dis throws a leg over the base of the dragon-bird's neck and holds out a hand for Sunni. "We have to get back to the village, and this is the fastest way I know. You won't fall, I promise. We just have to find a healer."

Rhindeer

Wiping away the last of her tears, determined not to cry anymore, she nodded her head slowly as Dis answered her question. That was true, and it was obvious, but she had thought better of Slash than that. He had kissed her when they first met, but he'd been apologetic and nice afterwards, so she'd trusted him. But Dis was right, and some people were just very good at pretending to be something they really weren't.

She was staring at the ground when Dis spoke, and she looked up and flicked her ears forward curiously. Trick? Glancing around quickly, she stepped backwards and away from Styx when Dis told her to give him some room, though she never took her eyes off the hummingbird. She had already figured out that he wasn't an ordinary hummingbird considering the numbing powder he'd put on her wounds, but what kind of trick could he do that required a lot of room--

Then it happened. Styx began to glow, and and Sunni watched in awe as the transformation took place, squinting against the light and blinking when she was left with sunspots dancing in her vision. But those sunspots certainly couldn't block out the beautiful creature that had replaced the little hummingbird, and Sunni stared at it with wide eyes. That was Styx? Wondrous creature or not, if Dis hadn't warned her or she had come across a creature like that on her own, she wouldn't be filled with nearly as much awe as she was now--she'd be more likely to take off running in the opposite direction. Large animals generally spooked her, especially carnivorous ones.

Right now, though, she could appreciate him and not worry about being eaten.

"He's gorgeous..." she breathed, fighting the sudden urge to reach out and stroke those feathers, an urge that was easy to fight because she wasn't that brave yet and she didn't know if it would be okay. But when Dis climbed onto Styx and held a hand out to her, she got her chance, anyway.

Exhaustion, stress, pain, and the hope of healing trumped any wariness she might have otherwise had when it came to riding a large winged creature that could eat her if it wanted to, and it also helped that she knew this was really Styx, the cute hummingbird. Offering Dis a small smile, she reached out and grasped his hand, trying to ignore the dull ache in her limbs as she moved, the sensation of raw skin grating against itself like sandpaper. Thankfully it had been dulled. Biting on her lip and trying not to wince, she used her grip on his hand as leverage to try and pull herself up, though her muscles felt watery and didn't want to cooperate.

"I know I won't," she answered, trusting Dis. "Thank you for helping me..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"Yeah, he is," Dis said, his voice dreamy-like with pride.  One couldn't say he had any kind of refined appreciation for beauty and shit like that, but Styx was a big prismatic orgy of color.  It was hard not to be impressed, no matter how many times he'd seen it.  It was one of the few things in his life that was good and pleasant.  So yeah, he was prideful about Styx and not ever inclined to hide that fact.

"Now hang on right," he said, and he clenched his own hands in the feathers covering Styx's back.  "He's wild fast."

And so he was.  But smooth, too.  The transition from grounded to flight was not so much a matter of taking off as transforming, flowing.  He moved like a part of the air and the pumping of the wings hardly jostled his passengers at all.  It was a flight that defied natural laws, for the secret to it was partly a mystical gift; he stayed aloft not by the strain of wings and muscles, but by the grace of what he was.  His long tail streamed behind him as a banner, and the forest below blurred by.  Dis had to put his head down to breath in the rush of air.

Then they were above Zantaric and slowing, but the pain-relieving dust Styx had used on Sunni would not last long.  Styx drifted in lazy circles, wings steady, as Dis squinted at the village below.  There, on the door of an inn, he saw it:  a healer's emblem.  And a Sanctuary healer's emblem, no less.  Wasn't often you found those self-righteous, arrogant asses out here in Zantaric.  In his experience, they tended to grace only the Three Kingdoms with their enlightened, holier-than-the-gods presences.

Maybe it meant his luck really was turning around.

"Brace for the landing."

It was rougher than the take off, but not so bad.  Styx backwinged and landed right there in the street before the inn, whipping up a cloud of dust and drawing irritated glances.  Dis glared right back, then slipped down off Styx's back, a little more urgency in him now despite the fast flight.  He wanted to get her in there and get her taken care of.  He offered her a hand down.  "The gods are with us, today.  There's a Sanctuary healer in there."