Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

hi... new here.... and stuff....

Started by Anonymous, August 08, 2007, 04:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

i have no idea what to do here but i guess i will learn sometime huh?

Rhindeer

Hiya! And welcome!

Aaand...xD whatcha confused about? Because I can clarify. :3
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

im just not a very good roleplayer, and i know that everyone starts out a beginner, but i am TERRRRRIBLE for a beginner.

Rhindeer

Aww, I wouldn't worry. I was horrible as a beginner. o.o Some of the evidence of it exists on this site, as a matter of fact, but I ain't pointing it out! xD It's embarrassing. Ahaha!

But really, the only way to get better is to play. :3 And if you'd like help, I'd be more than willing to RP with ya or give you tips and advice and stuff. ^_^ But don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone starts out like that!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

i REALLY need help. im terrable. i have actually been kick out of boards on other sites cuz i was so bad...

Anonymous

I CANT EVEN SPELL RIGHT! argh.

Rhindeer

Well, I'd be willing to help you! :3 I'm very patient and plus, well, I've been there. I was just really lucky to start out on a board that was very accepting, and even though I sucked I got to play with some people who were just <I>awesome. They were patient and showed me the ropes. So no matter how bad you are, you can still learn and get really good. It just requires patience, practice, and getting to play around people who have more experience.

So anyhoo! I guess my first tip without seeing any of your RP would be to use punctuation and capitalization. :3 It makes it nicer and easier to read. For spelling, if you have Microsoft Word or Works, just copy and paste your posts in there and run spellcheck. ^_^ Even I do that for my posts!

But anyhoo! Would you like to do a thread? Or do you have any questions in particular? Certain areas you need help with?

Anonymous

Woah... that was like... a long post. I have to read it a couple times.. -tiny attention span- Oh yeah.

Heh. Unfortuantely i have not yet found a thread that was patient enough to put up with my overpowering suckishness, but i know the basics if anything.
And yes i do have a problem with paying attention and capitalization and punctuation and spelling. But i can work on that. I just nead to learn how to react in certain ways while rping. Cuz im still learning to talk in third person. But i guess we could do a thread, have you show me the ropes, cuz i suck worse than the earth's gravity......

Rhindeer

And that's okay! :3 I tend to reread posts a lot, because I tend to post long posts and a lot of the time get long replies. So I end up rereading a lot. xD I can't remember everything either.

Hmm...overpowering. Well, I guess with that my advice would be--there's nothing really wrong with having a strong character. :3 It's all in how you play that character. And the important thing to keep in mind is that this isn't about winning or losing, but about writing a story and having fun. So there's no shame in your character losing now and then, or in playing a weak character. Sometimes, they're the most fun and bring about the best plots. ^_^ I often let my characters lose, either because they're just outclassed or because it just seems like it'd be the most fun.

But anyhoo! Yeah, we can do a thread. :3 Have any ideas in mind?

Anonymous

Aw, don't worry about. I started out terrible, I mean like this : *runs*
 I'm not exagerating. You'll get better as you play, and if people insult you, I'm sure it won't be tolerated.

Anonymous

its not that i keep making myself win, thats never the case. its just like how kaiyirasaid she was when she began. its just like -runs to tree- "ahh."
-is hit- "ow. that hurt."

Rhindeer

Ohhh!

Well, I used to do that too. xD I'd do stuff like "*Walks into the room and sits down.*" >_>

What helped me was advice I got to just describe everything. Describe what my character looks like, the character's thoughts, what s/he feels, tastes, hears, sees...maybe even describe the setting a little where relevent. ^_^ If the character is running, maybe describe the character's breathing. Or any muscle pains if the character is out of shape or has been running for a while. And why is the character running? Describe the pain that came from running into the tree. Did they bloody their nose doing that? xD

You know, stuff like that! That helps flesh out the character more. ^_^ All you really have to do is just think about the details more.

Goldie

Don't fret!

I too remember the times when my posts would be as short as 1 sentence long.  Especially in one particular thread that lasted from 2003 until 2006 I believe, going back I can see a serious progression of my posting abilities from the one liners, to my (at times) 3 pagers.

Ultimately, I think that it's just something that you grow into.  Everyone has to start somewhere, and you learn best by example!  When you start posting with people who describe everything, it starts to rub off on you and before too long you find that your fingers are typing at 30 mph and you start worrying when your posts are just barely a page in length.

Haha.  Honestly though, it's something that will grow on you and your writing skills will expand with very little effort, you'll be surprised!  just submersing yourself in a world of words is enough to make anyone improve ^_^

Anonymous

so many words.... hard to read....
er....

thanks. that makes alot of sence. once i have read it for 15 times.