Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

despite the facade of peace, darkness threatens (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, January 01, 2008, 03:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Aelita, once again daydreaming, sat morosely under a tree at the edge of the valley. It appeared that she was sleeping fitfully. Her brows were drawn together, as if she was contiplating a rather nasty problem, or perhaps having a nightmare. Even though she was naturally pale, her skin seemed to eminate a sickly palor. Her eyes danced crazily behind her partly closed eyelids, as if she could detect horrible shapes coming towards her in the long spring grass that filled the valley. Her fingers clenched at the moist soil beneath her, bloodying her nails. The only sign that she, in fact, was not sleeping, was the rigidy of her muscles, completely unlike the relaxed ones of a sleeper.

She wasn't sure how long she had been under the tree. She only knew that somehow, something wasn't right. She had been deep in thought about what she would make for dinner. Of course it was completely nonsensical, but she told herself that she would have large, tender rolls, succulent vegetable pies...and fruit, exotic fruit to fill her taste buds with tangy goodness. This was a lie to she told herself to keep from remember that she would be having old, dry bread, and maybe, just maybe a rather plain mix of greens. It wasn't that she was starving, rather that she was afraid to take too much, claiming more than her share of things. So she half starved herself to keep the guilt at bay. That and because she forgot to eat a proper meal half the time. She had just started thinking about the fancy drinks she would have when something distracted her.

She paused, eyes still closed, frantically trying to discern what had got her attention. Then suddenly she came apon it; the birds had stopped singing, and the noisy foraging of a nearby squirrel was missing. There was only the sound of silence, complete and utter silence. What could it be?she thought fearfully. Maybe if i stay quiet and act like I'm asleep, whoever or whatever, will not notice me.

Lion

Just a few more miles and I'll be there, Geralt thought desperately as he trudged like tired giant throughout the quiet, somber valley.  Despite his weight, he was not a heavy man and quite capable of stepping lightly on the soft, forested underbrush with his light brown, worn, leather wanderer's boots and puttees.  His breeches were of a fine animal's hide that he had bought off of a traveling trader, choosing instead to save his finer, more durable clothes for later times.  Though, he had to admit, the pants were a little more snug than he was used to.

Readjusting his pack strap, Geralt pulled out the worn, parchment letter his best friend Juna had delivered to him before he was exiled.  It was short and speedily written but it was amount of love and compassion that she put into it that made hope grow in his heart.  Unfolding it carefully, he muttered the words written on it to himself and grinned slightly.  At least he wasn't alone even when he was alone.  He had someone who was willing to risk all they had to help him, even if that help was only slight.  But there wasn't much she could do now except perhaps delay the soldiers that would be on their way to either arrest him or worse.  Geralt had to be out of Connlaothian borders in due time.

Folding the note neatly in his pocket, Geralt continued on his path.  However much he enjoyed silence, he reveled at the songs of wild birds.  It relaxed him, especially when he felt that burning in his blood.  That burning that reminded him of the wolf inside him that was wild and beyond control.  But just when he felt that familiar singeing in the tips of his fingers, the singing stopped.  He slowed his steps until he stopped altogether, peering up into the forest canopy and seeing no birds.  What was that?  Was something wrong?  Only when the singeing ceased did he look down at the girl sitting beneath the tree.  There was surging in his chest as he swallowed hard and got up the courage to speak.  Opening his mouth, he backed away a bit before saying loud and clear, "Hello."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Aelita's breath began to quiken, her ears roaring with fear. True, she didn't know what was out there, or if anything really was. absurd, your being absurd she told herself.
Why am I so afraid?
She knew that she was being irrational. The birds couldv'e been scared off by a predator or something. But insistant fear began to knaw at her even more.  What she didn't know was why she was so afraid. Maybe it was because she always expected something bad to happen and worried if it did not. Calm yourself. With that she began to slow her breathing, taking deep breathes.

Just as her heart resumed it's normal breathing,and she was about to open her eyes, a voice penetrated the quiet around her. Her eyes flew open and she looked wildly around for the source of the greeting. Finally her eyes rested on the young man nearby. Her cheeks grew flush and just as quickly became pale. A person, specifically a male was talking to her. She scooted backwards until she could feel the tree bark scraping her skin through her dress. Her wings fluttered hesitantly then folded themselves around her body, almost like a silky cocoon.
" G-good day,sir"

Lion

[Ooc: I have a question: Is Aelita in sedora form or humanoid form right now?  I'm just asking cuz I don't want to make a mistake like as in saying she was tiny looking when she's actually in her 5'3" form.]

Geralt leaped back a step or two when her eyes fluttered open.  By the powers of the divine, her eyes were beautiful!  Instantaneously he saw the faint sparkle of flame in her ocean blues, as if tinged with unspoken powers.  He chuckled slightly as she panicked, coloring and paling as quick as the change of light to dark.  All he could say he felt at this moment was the relief of finding another living being in his miles of travel.  Well he did find that trader, but he didn't seem all that much alive aside from the awkward smile and odd giggle.

When she backed away against the tree, her panic-stricken face prominent with fear, he stepped back even further, thinking he had unpleasantly surprised her somehow.  What it was she was afraid of, he did not know.  But perhaps he could find out....  When she spoke, Geralt offered her a friendly grin.  Surely she could not be afraid of a smile right?  "Uh, good day to you to, miss.  There's no need to be afraid," he nodded, taking it upon himself to step closer.  He gained a fair distance toward her before asking with eyebrows perked up, "What's your name?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

[ooc: she's in humanoid form but still has her wings, sorry i should have put that in somewhere]

Aelita's eyes snapped shut for brief seconds before opening again to pierce the man with a curious gaze. She did not know the effect that her eyes had on people. Truthfully, she tried not to fret over her appearance. It was an old habit still ingrained in her from her father. Time and time again, when he had caught her staring at her reflection in a water bucket, he would gruffly tell her that there was nothing worth looking at and that her time was better spent with using the water for chores.

She took in the man's traveling attire and realized he was not from around here. Seeing rather than hearing him chuckle, she bristled. Do I have leaves in my hair? Then came his grin. What does he want? As she heard his words, she visibly relaxed.  Although she had a general distrust of handsome men, especially ones capable of charming the scales off of a snake, the man in front of her seemed kindly enough. Because of that, her voiced only held a little hesitation when she stated
" I'm Aelita, sir."

Lion

"Aelita," Geralt played with the name on his lips before finishing with a faint curiosity, "What a beautiful name..."  Her face was not lost on him.  True Geralt had not met many members of the fey -especially not pixies or nymphs- but he could not help recall from his studies that these creatures would be bearers of great beauty.  Most usually using this beauty to trap unsuspecting victims of the opposite sex into become their slaves.  He had also read that they were conniving and could be very persuasive, no matter how strong the will of the victim was.  However, he could undoubtedly tell from the start that Aelita was no conniving, mischievous slave-holder, but rather a shy, easily startled... sedora.  His smile grew; she was exceptionally pretty from what he could tell.

Back in his unbanished days, he had always had a special charm for women but he could never understand why.  He had always thought of himself as a rather plain looking man, he was almost always positive that there were men more attractive than he.  And yet he always seemed to find at least one or two young ladies, prospective for husbands, hanging at his side while other men had at least four or five.  But it was these feelings that he was not appealing enough that came as cause for trouble in the first place.  If only he hadn't tried that spell then nothing would have gone wrong.  If only he had listened to his father.  If only, if only, if only...  But 'if only's were just as they are said, 'If only-'

He swiped his thoughts back into the real world and cleared his face from grim features.  Geralt's returning smile made his eyes light up as they always had done.  He laughed good-naturedly and observed her clothes.  True it was not what he was expecting a sedora would wear, but it seemed this one in particular wasn't particularly fickle with her appearance and wore very plain clothing.  "Sir?" he questioned suddenly.  "There's no need for the formality in this valley.  We are quite a ways from any sort of civilization other than plants and animals.  Um.. er- forgive me, I forgot myself for a moment.  My name is Geralt.  What are you doing here all alone?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Aelita's shoulders straightened and a  hand casually chased the twisting leaves out of her coppery locks when she heard him say her name. A slight blush followed when he complimented it. But watching his gaze, she began to feel like she had bugs crawling all over her skin. She wondered why he was looking at her like that, it made her uncomfortable. What she didn't realize was that it was the same look her father gave her, except his scrutiny was always an ego bruising one. What was the man thinking of her?

She wasn't sure why she cared what a complete stanger thought about her. It wasn't like Aelita was going to ever see him again. Why was he stopped, though? A person would normally pass by, acting for all the world as if she didn't exist. But this man, he was generous in his greetings and exhanges of conversation. That wasn't common for her at all. She watched his visage turn grim, cocking her head to the side unconsiously, for she was curious. Was he also haunted by the past? But just as quickly, she saw his smile again. Her breath caught in her chest as she looked at his eyes. She had a weak spot for men's eyes. She stared intently as the sun seemed to set off the heavenly green in them. Realizing she was boldy locking eyes with him, she dropped her yes to the ground. Her eyes peeked up shyly, then went back to the dirt under her feet. She had left her slippers at the cottage, she loved going barefoot. Her toes began tracing circles in the lose dirt.

" I live nearby, Si- Geralt." Should she offer him lodging or food? Did she dare trust him that much? He had been pleasant so far, and she knew if she was in his boots, she would want some food and a roof over her head. " Would you like to come and get some food? I I don't have much but I could fix something up if you would be willing to stick around." What to fix up? She could go foraging for mushrooms, perhaps make a little more bread, and have the sparse greens she collected. She would get all this food for a stranger, yet somehow could not manage to do it for herself.

Lion

After walking all day, he was indeed worn from his crucial journey.  But he knew that he could not afford to stop if he wanted to make it out of the valley by nightfall.  His rations were running low and a place to stay and refuge for a while sounded very appealing.  Thought he was not entirely sure he could trust this strange creature, a part of him couldn't help but appreciate the way she offered her home to him, a transient drifter.  He'd always known there was a little bit of good in everyone, no matter how different or 'odd' they seemed.

On the other side of his mind, that nagging negativity crept from its depths and brought up the possibility of a trap.  "What in hell's name are you doing?!" it cried to him.  "This is obviously a trap.  She's trying to lead you to her burrow not because she wants to help you, but she wants to capture you then make you a slave of hers.  Mind controlling you to do her every whim.  Are you mad enough to take up her offer?  All this innocence is just a ploy to get you to pity her because of your incessantly shimmering heart, then lead you to her cavern of dark incantations to overpower you there!  Don't you see it?  Don't you see its a trap?"  But this negative rambling was overcome by what it referred to his 'shimmering heart', that constant benevolence he saw in everyone.  Even in innocent looking sedoras.  

Geralt did not push away the chance that this could be a trap, however his better half was louder in its arguments.  There was no way an evil-doer could look so peaceful and devoid of taint the way Aelita was.  Nor could they be capable of being so timid and meek as she, becoming utterly startled by his presence.  She could not be intending to harm him, he was convinced.  He decided he would take her offer for she seemed friendly enough.  After brushing away a few of his dark brown strands of hair from his forehead, he said, "That's very kind of you to offer.  I don't really know where I'm going and am awfully tired.  I would be more than thankful for your kindness."  With that he offered her a helping hand to climb to her feet.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

[ooc: sorry it took so long to reply]

Aelita's wings gently opened, allowing her the freedom of movement. She stared at his hand a moment, her hand fluttering uncertainly. Then suddenly she grasped his hand and hauled herself up. His skin was warm, atleast to her touch because she had been so long without human contact.
" It's not a problem at all. The only thing is, I don't have any meat in the house, and can't hunt. If you would like to hunt, I could show you to the nearest game trail." Unnoticed by her eye, she lead him down the trail to her house, her hand still clasping his.

As she lead him, her mind whirred constantly. What is Geralt doing here? Where was he headed? More importantly, she wasn't sure what to do for food. She could go foraging, as she thought earlier, but she wasn't sure she could trust him alone in her cottage. Not that she had anything of importance, but just the idea of someone alone in her cottage, leaving their own imprint on it, made her heave a heavy sigh. She liked the peace of her home, would Geralt somehow disturb it? Not to mention the cottage was only made up of two rooms.

The main room was a mix between a kitchen and a living room. It contained a fireplace with a shelf above it, cuboards for supplies, a table with two chairs, and rags in the corner for whatever stray animal wanted in. Mostly, though, the animal chose to curl up with Aelita in her bed made of straw and covered in a quilt and a homemade blanket.he can have the bed if he plans on staying longer. it's not that comfortable but atleast it has no fleas.

Lion

[Oh no worries at all!  I completely understand, life happens]

Geralt could not understand the surging he felt in his chest when she took his offered hand.  It like a current shocked his fingers in a tingly sensation as soon as his hand met hers, but he did not let it deter him from showing how grateful he was.  Instead he smiled to her and repeated his thanks.  However when she led him away from their former spot, it did strike him as strange that she did not release his hand.  As she steer him away from the main trail he was bent on taking and off to an unknown path, Geralt couldn't help but notice how soft her skin was.  It was warm too, despite the difference of their skin shades.  His flesh had browned a tad since the start of his journey; not a sailor's swarthy skin but a tan belonging to a healthy human.

Though he didn't know what kind of skin temperature he expected to experience, he maneuvered his mind focus more on the present conversation.  "Hunt?" he asked, cocking up an eyebrow.  Because he was born into nobility he had learned that no nobleman in his right mind could ever survive society without excelling at things like hunting.  Of course this kind of hunting was purely for sport and not for survival; very rarely were the carcasses of the animals used for anything other than trophies of a very successful hunt.  Albeit he loved animals, was an omnivore, and enjoyed his place in society, he did feel that such acts were barbaric.  Though there was little he could do against the powers of high society, it was either their way or be shunned forever.  The only way the death of an animal could be justified was not by putting it on a pedestal, but rather using what that animal had to offer be that its hide or meat.  Any other way was only cruelty.

Much to his dismay, Geralt was not the most proficient hunter; most likely because he always had servants to do that for him.  But it was a damn good thing that he was an experienced deal maker.  Apparently all of those summers watching his father at court paid off.  "Oh that's okay.  You've been quite generous enough just taking me in.  I've got some jerky and venison stored in my pack so I'll be fine on the meat," Geralt squeezed her hand reassuringly.  He eyed her features curiously, seeing worry wash over her once peaceful facade.  What could she be fearing?  Certainly she couldn't be afraid of me anymore...

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

As they walked along the path, the trees began to grow thicker, allowing only a dappling of undiluted sunshine to reach them. Her cottage was not far away, only about a minute longer of walking and Aelita would be home. Her cottage was human size, since Aelita stayed mainly in human form. She did change into different animals every now and then, just for the fun of it, though. From the outside, the cottage appeared to be just what it was: a humble abode, and the rooms inside proved it. The cottage was surrounded by a small clearing filled with gardens full of flowers and vegetables. To one side of the weathered door stood an apple tree stock full of apples.

"Alright, I do have some foraging to do, if you wouldn't mind waiting a little bit to eat."It was then that she realized that one hand contained a warmth unfamiliar to  her normally chilled limbs. She felt a slight pressure and recognition dawned on her. She was holding his hand and he had just squeezed hers. She shyly took her hand from his and placed it at her side, mistaking his squeeze as a sign that he wanted her to let go. Her cheeks flamed with embarrassment. " I I'm-, That was rude of me, forgive me. I did not realize I was still holding your-" her stammering faded away as embarrassment was replaced by the stronger emotion of mortification.

Lion

There's always more than one side to every story, to every life, to every tale.  But always there is one side at a time that tells their share of it.  Sometimes there are even occasions where dual sides belong to one life; an individual person constantly in conflict with themselves.  Two separate beings melded together into one body, one mind, and one soul, but nonetheless different in practically every way.  One part might be the man, the do-gooder seeking always to do the right and scorning all that was wrong, and the other might be the beast, or wolf rather, mocking the man's righteousness, scoffing at conventional heroism that was the man's way and preferring pleasure over piety; even if that pleasure was earned through malevolent actions.

And so it was with Geralt.  A single persona caught between two worlds: civilization and the wild.  Even in nature there are relationships where two creatures can coexist with one another in harmony, each benefiting the other either directly or indirectly.  However, there are also those relationships were only one creature benefits and even those where neither benefit at all and are hostile to one another at almost every turn.  This was how it was with Geralt as well.  The man inside of him was always at odds with the wolf that had somehow manifested.  Sometimes Geralt suspected that the wolf had been there all along and awoke with the aid of that beast spell.  Either way, when the wolf was awake, seizing his mind, he was dark, mischievous, and above all--dangerous.  

Geralt looked at the modest home of hers and nodded when she first spoke.  He didn't mind waiting at all.  It would help him become better adjusted to his surroundings to be alone than to have someone watching him.  Despite its obvious modesty it was undeniably well-made to suit her.  Of course he did not know her very well, having just met her after all, but from what he could tell the house was a perfect match.  When she let go of him, that surging in his chest suddenly ceased and was replaced by that burning sensation again in his fingertips.  "Oh that's quite all right.  You don't have to apologize; i-it was my fault," he attempted to reassure her.  The sight of his words being useless was evident as he saw her cheeks burn with shame.  Quickly he tried to calm her, "Please.  Don't worry, you did nothing wrong.  If you don't mind, I'll go ahead and wait for you by the cottage.  And fear not, I won't take anything.  I couldn't for you've been kind enough to me already."  He grinned, his eyes looking deeply into hers and shimmering once more, before patting her on the arm and moving towards the small house.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

[ eek school is in full swing now! i should be able to get on more once i rebalance my schedule]

Aelita stared at the ground as Geralt apologized. He apologized. She thought, as if struck by the idea that someone would even consider apologizing to her instead of blaming her. She let it take root in her head, let it grow and begin to crack the self-hating rocks that constantly cut at her confidence. That's what is amazing about people; even the most beat up, dragged down, pathetic person has a spark of confidence, a lion willing to eventually yell I've had enough, I'm a person with feelings, I am ME, and I amount to more than you will ever be! And in Aelita, that lion had been awakened, and boy was it hungry.

All this turmoil inside her had taken place in a split second, but when she looked up to meet his eyes, a hint of anger lingered at the back of hers. She wasn't angry at Geralt, in fact she appreciated his presence. No, her anger was for her father and him alone. With a nod and a small smile to acknowledge she had heard what he said, she turned and stalked off deeper into the forest. Her wings continiously snapped open and closed hard enough to make anything or anybody who saw them wince. She was angry, but she was more like an injured beast vulnerable to everything rather than one full of ferocity and ready to stalk its prey.

As she receded into the forest, a silent tear escaped her. She had held everything in since the day she was born, unwilling to admit that she didn't have a fairytale childhood. Now it was building, probing the dam of her mind for any weaknesses, and it had found one. Pretty soon, there would be a full blown flood. As she began to collect edible mushrooms and greens enough for two people in the pockets of her dress, the dam burst,leaving her weeping and trembling on the ground. Her tears hit the leaves beneath her- splat, splat, splat- in an unwielding manner. She let the memories wash over her. Memories of her father hitting her, memories of her mother ignoring her screams, memories of her mother dying...they were all there and yelling to be retold. They eventually slowed to a trickle, and then a complete stop, content for now to wait behind the dam again.

As she left the forest and entered the clearing that held her home, she didn't really care how she looked. She still tembled, and her eyes held a tender, bruised look, but gleaming out of them was still a hint of that lion. Her pale complexion was even paler except for the bright red blotches that surrounded her eyes and nose. Her dress, hands, and face were painted with bits of mud, making her appearance all the worse. She approached Geralt with her chin to her chest, afraid he's see that she'd been crying. " I have some mushrooms and greens in pocket."

Lion

[same for me too.  damn these inconvenient schedules... *grumble grumble*]

Geralt leaned against the door frame, deep in thought.  This afternoon turned out to nigh unusual.  First he had been wandering in this desolate valley for hours since dawn, without a soul in sight.  The lack of people depressed him, though he hated to admit it.  Usually he would become a bit stressed by the cacophony made by people with their incoherent ramblings of trivial gossip and hogwash.  He preferred peaceful silence or the beautiful songs of wild birds and the presence of nature itself; it was relaxed and calmed his nerves, and kept that fire in his blood at bay for a while by the least.

It could speak to him, that burden beast of magic, like a little devil on his shoulder tempting him to sin.  But it's voice was not its own, but his in a raspier more malicious kind of way.  Its sayings not only offering up temptation but warning him of danger, as if that even though the wolf despised his good traits through and through it was not as if it wanted him dead, for it too shared the body.  Faintly, just very faintly, Geralt could hear that little voice now.  "What are we going to do about that bloody sedora?

"Please, we?  We aren't going to do anything?  I'm just here to stay for a meal and a place to sleep.  Then I'm leaving first thing in the morning," Geralt asserted crossing his arms across this chest in a very impatient manner.

It laughed at his words.  "I don't think that's what you want to do."  It paused and saw what he saw through his eyes: Aelita returning to the clearing.  "Hmm, she's rather pretty isn't she?  I would think so.  And a golden heart just like yours.  Its a rare find to be benevolent and beautiful at the same time.  I'm sure I'll be able to find some way to thank her for her..."

"Don't you dare even think about what I'm sure your thinking off!" he whispered harshly to the wolf.

"Shh!  Prey approaches..."  Geralt's nostril moved as it sniffed the air.  "Something's amiss.  I smell water and salt.  The girl, she's been crying...  What are you going to do?"

Bewilderment filled his mind as he pushed off the frame and stood waiting for Aelita to get closer.  He saw the sores around her eyes before she ducked her head down.  My goddess, the wolf was right! he thought.  When she spoke to him, he did not reply, but instead did the only thing he could thing of in the spur of the moment.  His right hand drifted into his worn, leather commoner's jacket and pulled out a silky handkerchief and with a silent gentleness wiped her eyes and nose.  He put it away without a word and smiled briefly before saying, "That's very kind of you.  The sun's going down a little now, umm shall we eat?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Aelita kept her eyes averted as Geralt wiped her face. She wasn't sure if she was more embarrassed by being caught crying or by his tenderness.
"thanks." she mumbled, and then a bit more clearly" i just have to wash the greens and then you can start in on them while i cook the mushrooms." Opening her door, she walked in first, glancing nervously at the humbleness that surrounded her before looking at him. He wore  commoner's clothing, but Aelita couldn't help wishing her home was a little more...well just a little more.

She made a gesture for him to sit down as she commenced in washing the greens with the spring water she had collected earlier. She scrummaged through a cupboard and pulled out a crude wooden plate and matching fork." They're not the best, but they won't give you splinters." Aelita had made them, and despite their simplicity, she was proud of them. Setting the plate, greens, and fork before him, she gave him a weak smile. "I am sorry that it's so...plain." she spoke softly. Aelita then went back to preparing the mushrooms, putting them into a pot over the fire with butter."I love mushrooms, especially with butter. And your in luck, I was able to get more butter yesterday."

Gently she began humming a tune that she had learned as a child. She had long forgotten the words, but the melody always seemed to comfort her. Aelita kept herself facing the fire, unwilling to sit in the other empty chair. She was afraid that Geralt would ask her why she had been crying. She had finally been couragous enough to face her fears but she couldn't tell others about them, not yet.

Lion

Clearing his throat, he felt his cheeks flush slightly but he regained his confidence before he was led to the chair.  He had to admit, it was a rather nice home.  True, indeed very humble, but there was a comfortable air about it.  It seemed to signify a simple life, where one was capable of doing for themselves instead of having to deal with the hassles of directing servants, participating actively in politics and economics, and, perhaps the hardest of all, having to keep up with the expectations of a savage society.  The type of savagery Geralt was accustomed to was the hierarchy of class type based on wealth and power in which hatred of the anomaly was expressed through silent contempt and cold courtesy.

Geralt sat down to her offered seat, surprised that the stocky wooden chair was quite comfortable.  But then again wouldn't any sort of seat be comfortable after walking for miles?  After setting his pack down, he occasionally glanced up at Aelita as she stood by the fireplace, but he gulped down his impulse to ask any questions.  Instead, he occupied himself by taking out some of the venison from his backpack.  He assumed, that, by the look of her, she didn't eat much meat, so he only took out a few pieces that would sustain himself for now.  The heavens only knew what would happen when night would strike.

He nodded gently and replied, "There's no need to apologize.  The setting is very agreeable.  It suits me just fine."  He smiled in her direction before a wondrous song touched his ears.  He didn't know what it was but it was as beautiful as a songbird's symphony.  It came from Aelita, he realized.  A certain gleam came to his eyes, softened them with emotion.  He looked up at her direction and didn't notice that his eyes became locked there.  When it struck him like a sack of stones that he had been staring he immediately deterred his vigilance, cleared his throat and said, "Yes, butter is good.  And even better with scones."

Geralt focused back on his pack and retrieved two scones wrapped in a handkerchief from his ration storage.  Carefully unwrapping them he set them on the table, placing one on his plate and the other in front of the seat across from him.  The seat where he hoped Aelita would soon occupy.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

[ ahhh no...i had the whole thing typed out, and i didn't realize that the server had timed out so it went poof! so this is kinda the shortened version sorry]

The mushrooms were ready and Aelita had no choice but to face Geralt. Still humming, she took the pot full of the fungi and leaned over his shoulder and ladled some onto his plate. She then plunked the pot onto the table and slowly sat down across from him, as if afraid she was about to sit on a nail. Her hands did a nervous dance with each other and her eyes seemed to find the knots in the wooden tabletop vastly interesting. I shouldv'e made tea. Then I would've had a mug to hold onto atleast.

Aelita was a very nervous sedora, always afraid that her reality would be torn away, and she would be left the victim again. She knew it would be good for her if she told Geralt about her past...if he understood. If he rejected her, she wouldn't be able to handle it, not on top of what had already occurred today. Suddenly she blurted "Where are you from?" She hadn't meant to ask, but her mind and mouth had made the decision before she had even realized that she was curious what his answer would be. Her head stayed down, not wanting to make him feel like he had to answer. Or maybe he doesn't mind answering, maybe not everybody has a past that they keep secret. she thought bitterly.
Aelita half turned her body away, her hands falling into her lap.

The lion that had emerged earlier was now being subdued and caged, just like it had been before the arrival of a kind stranger. She knew she should eat, but she didn't want to care for herself, didn't want that lion to come out again. It was only going to lead to dissapointment. She knew she didn't need any more of that in her life. She let out a deep sigh. It seemed like she had been doing that alot lately.

Lion

[Oh no worries.  I know whatcha mean, that's happened to me a few times and I get so frustrated when I have to retype the WHOLE thing.  But anyways, it's fine.]

Geralt thanked her with a hand gesture and proceeded to answer to her question.  It was a sensitive topic for him, considering what he had been through, but he decided it was best that she knew if she was kind enough to open her home to home.  He was positive he wasn't going to stay there long, but it would help her know him better either way.  "Well," he began, clearing his throat once more, "I traveled south from northeastern Connlaoth.  My father is a respected nobleman in the country and very active in politics and apprehension of mages.  I think it's revolting the way they treat them."

That shadow of hopelessness once again overcame his face, his eyes looking somberly at the food on his plate.  He pushed the mushrooms around with the wooden spoon when he decided to continue, "But that's why I'm traveling.  I-I-"  Boy this was harder than he thought.  "I didn't like what I saw and decided to do something, though I didn't realize the impact of my actions.  My father, I used to think he was brilliant, a true hero.  But I didn't know the brutality...  Er- Anyways, he thought  it would be best that I take trip out of the country.  Either way, I'm glad he made that decision."

He wiped the fire that was forming in his eyes and scooped up the mushrooms from his plate and took a taste.  They were delicious, unfortunately they were not enough to subside the vehemence forming in him.  However, he made his best effort to put on a smile, for Aelita's sake.  Swallowing, "So... what about you.  Where are your origins?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Aelita turned toward Geralt, surprised that he was answering her question, and from what she could tell, answering honestly. She perked up, her interest caught, when he said that he was a nobleman's son. A nobleman's son in my house? I definately should have gone hunting for him. That thought process was halted when he revealed that he had left home. His abrupt change of words hadn't gone unnoticed. could it be exile? Why would anyone exile someone as nice as Geralt? The answer was obvious. Anybody with power is unwilling to give it up without a second thought. And Geralt had said something about disagreeing with how his father treated mages.

Aelita decided not to press further, despite her curiosity. He had already told her more than she expected. Words of compassion filled her mouth, ready to be released...until he asked the question she dreaded the most. Then the words turned heavy, ready to choke her to keep her from answering. Inside her,a fiery debate was occurring.Should I tell him? He's been honest with me, and it would be bad to lie to a nobleman. Besides, he doesn't seem like my father. Another voice, just as discouraging as the first one was encouraging. Why is he asking? He's a stranger, he doesn't need to know my business.

As it always seemed to be with Aelita, the first voice won out. She yearned for acceptance, even if she didn't want to admit it, so she was willing to extend a small kernal of hope out to Geralt. Despite being desperate,  she wasn't desperate enough to tell him everything, though.
" Well... I used to live with my parents. When my mother died I left my father and came to live here."

Lion

How brief her explanation was.  Just like the story someone who had details to hide would say.  Her story, in it's brevity, did strike Geralt as rather odd.  If he knew better he would have kept is mouth shut and took what she said at face value, but despite his good sense, curiosity always seemed to win out.

He took another bite of his meal, grateful for the warmth for his skin was starting to feel cold for some reason.  "Er- your parents," he began gently, hoping he wasn't pushing his luck too far, "were they good people?  You seem to have been raised with sensibility and a gentle heart.  I admire that."  He gazed at her with kind eyes, eyes that were filled with a perplexed understanding as if somehow knowing what it was she might have to say.  Though his eyes may have been read of complete knowing, in truth, Geralt hadn't an idea what it was she might have experienced.  Her life was her own and vice versa and he was only to know what she chose to tell him.

A part of him faintly hoped that she would reveal whatever had to say for it dismayed him to see that she appeared burdened.  Of course, he had his fair share of crosses to carry and knew when to reveal secrets if need be.  But perhaps now was one of those times to let sleeping dogs lie.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn