Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

About the Mordecai

Started by Anonymous, January 20, 2008, 10:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Talyafera"How does this work? The Mordecai have been going around for years systematically stamping out mages and seriously no one has put two and two together? No one has noticed that when there's a group of soldiers making a mage raid, magic doesn't work? What...do they think it's some crazy coincidence that magic ceases to work every single time a raid goes down? Considering how methodical Connlaoth is with their anti-mage efforts, you'd think people would notice the pattern. o.O

Well, I think it would be kinda easy to hide if mage raids were done outside of the public eye in the mages hiding places. Since the mages are executed, or something along those lines, there would really be no evidence to support that outside from the soldiers that already know about the Mordecai in the first place.

As for the range, I think the description on Mordecai already gives us the range... or max range anyway. ><
QuoteThe Mordecai are a group of soldiers unique to Connlaoth that possess a repellant to magic. Their mere presence nullifies the abilities of any magic-users around them in up to a one-hundred foot radius...

And I think it should be kept uncontrolled, cause I mean how are people supposed to find 'unfound' Mordecai if they just keep their ability turned off all the time?

But what I would like to know, is what happens to something like a summoned creature? would they vanish upon entering the Mordecai's range? I ask this cause my 'Arcana' characters are basically permanent summons. ><

Tally

QuoteSince the mages are executed, or something along those lines, there would really be no evidence to support that outside from the soldiers that already know about the Mordecai in the first place.

Not every mage would be caught and executed, though. (: No matter how careful the soldiers are, some mages are bound to get away every now and then. Nothing is 100% perfect all the time.

QuoteSo mayhap the stuff about them should be completely revamped (it's old anyway!), 'cause that does make more sense, knowing they're around but just not who. And we should also decide on a range for their ability--like how far exactly it extends, because that's always been a sticky area, though I think Choco got it down. Yea, nay? xD

My two cents, I definitely like it this new way. It makes more sense to me. P: As for range, I'd think it would vary from Mordecai to Mordecai, much like any natural ability. Plus, when I join one of those ambassadors, either the mage from Serendipity or the dragonrider from Adela, they're bound to notice the non-working magic whenever they're in the presence of certain individuals.

And er...I don't remember what I said about the non-humanoid types. xD Erm...something about the Mordecai ability being psychic in nature. So it would follow that it works on the brain of a mage. And, well...if you take a creature like a dragon, whose brain is so beyond that of a humanoid and so different from it, and whose magic is likely not a brain thing anyway but just a part of it's very nature, then it's logical to assume that the Mordecai ability would work on creatures that are vastly different and/or whose magic is so intrinsic to the species. Like unicorns or dragons. Plus, it would provide a nice weakness for people to exploit, and that's always fun.

I definitely think the ability should be uncontrolled.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Talyafera"Hum. I always thought it was like hennjo and Mia said. That people know there are Mordecai but just don't know who they are.

How does this work? The Mordecai have been going around for years systematically stamping out mages and seriously no one has put two and two together? No one has noticed that when there's a group of soldiers making a mage raid, magic doesn't work? What...do they think it's some crazy coincidence that magic ceases to work every single time a raid goes down? Considering how methodical Connlaoth is with their anti-mage efforts, you'd think people would notice the pattern. o.O

Honestly, people could chalk it up to a lot of things. It could be that their magic just didn't work that day. Who says that magic works all the time? Some mages might have magic that doesn't work every time. And people really do have an amazing ability to rationalize things. If Mordecai are considered to be like faeries or aliens in the modern world, where everyone knows what they are, but don't believe them, I doubt that many people, when seeing magic fail, even repeatedly, would go "Must be this fairy tail creature."

It happening often will give the 'crazy' people who believe the legends more 'proof', but not really enough to convince most people. Like all the Area 51 nuts. If one came up to you and started to tell you about all this proof they had, even showed you some things, would you believe them? Probably not. Because you know there aren't aliens.

Same way that people know Mordecai aren't real. Even seeing the proof right before them doesn't prove anything. The Mordecai's ability isn't all that flashy or obvious. A mage can't work their magic? Well, most of the citizens in Connlaoth think magic is pretty evil as is. That just proves it. Magic will abandon you when you need it most.

Or, well, that's how I figured the Mordecai worked. With being the secret everyone knows about. Legends and myths like fearies and dragons and aliens. People know what they are and know they aren't real. Only nutters think they are real.

Tally

Nah, I'm still not buying it. Not with the frequency and consistency of the raids. If a strange thing happens once or twice every decade or so, then it can become a fairy tale. If a strange thing happens consistently, under the same conditions, to many many different people over many many decades on a regular basis and without variation, you've moved away from fairy tales and into the realm of painfully obvious.

Plus, we've already established that Connlaoth will, as a matter of good faith, allow the ambassadors to be mages. And those mage ambassadors would certainly notice when their magic doesn't work in the presence of certain individuals. And now a Mordecai has accidentally ended up in Adela's Sanctuary. So the secret's out regardless.

Perhaps they used to be in the realm of fairy tales...but not anymore.

Anonymous

So i can make my charecters know about the Mordicai but thier image of Mordicai will be twisted by folk stories and what they have seen (if they are a surviving mage) so they will think that all soldiers are Mordicai and vice versa?

Well that's how my charecter Cladia sees it anyway. Is that allowed?

Rhindeer

That would be perfectly fine! 8D

I'm revising the Mordecai info, in fact. So yeah, go for it!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

good cause she's already in a plot and it would be hell to change it now

Anonymous

I'm a little confused. Do Mordecai affect innate abilities like the breath of dragons? Just confirming, there seemed to be two of you who said conflicting stuff...

...passing by! ^_^

Tally

A Mordecai would not affect a dragon at all, actually. P: