Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

FATE Quarantine Game

Started by TheUnforgiving, April 15, 2020, 09:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheUnforgiving

Since many of us are going to be stuck inside for several more weeks yet, I've been kicking around the idea of running a FATE game for folks here who are interested.  No prior FATE knowledge will be required. 

Stuff to download
FATE Core rulebook
FATE Core character sheet
FATE Core large type character sheet
FATE Core extended form-fillable character sheet
FATE Accelerated rulebook
FATE Accelerated character sheet
FATE game creation worksheet
FATE character creation worksheet

Online Rules at FATE SRD: https://fate-srd.com/

What is FATE?
FATE is a pen-and-paper roleplaying game published by Evil Hat that targets a different style of game than D&D.  It puts less of a priority on intricate rules and more on character-driven mechanics and storytelling.

Why FATE?
FATE is easy
FATE has very few rules and fewer mechanics that need to be learned, so it's easier to get new people up to speed.  There's also a lot less hunting around in books looking for specific rules, abilities, and interactions.

FATE is fast
Building off of the above, the actual dice rolling of FATE doesn't take very long, since a single simple dice-rolling mechanic is used for everything.  The creation of characters also involves a lot less hunting through rulebooks looking for the one class that best suits your character idea (since you get to make up all your abilities yourself).  How long FATE takes depends on how long you want to spend getting into character.

FATE is flexible
FATE is robust and easily modified, so it can be adapted to any kind of game we want to play.  We may need to create some systems, but that's okay because FATE is designed to easily to support that and has guidelines for doing so.

FATE is free
The core rulebooks for FATE -- those without any licensed setting material -- are pay-what-you want, and that includes not paying at all.  These core rulebooks are all very good and are more than sufficient to get a complete game going.  This means there's no cost barrier to entry and you don't need to worry about yo-ho-ho'ing the rulebooks from somewhere.  However, if you like the game, please support Evil Hat if you can afford it (I know times are tough right now; they wouldn't want you to feel pressured to pay up and neither do I).  Evil Hat are good people and they deserve the love and support, however you can express it.

FATE is collaborative
FATE puts a lot of emphasis on the group telling the story and building the world together.  It's everyone's game, not just the Gamemaster's. 

Will it be an SotE-themed game?
Only if that's what everyone wants.  We'll be building the game together as part of FATE's campaign creation guidelines.  If people would rather do another fantasy setting, a sci-fi game, or something like CATastrophe, that's what we'll do. 

How big will the group be?
4-8 people.  If enough people express interest, I may keep a few people as backups in case someone can’t make the time commitment

Who is welcome to join?
Anyone who can make the time commitment for at least a couple sessions.  I don't know how long the game will run -- it's possible it may only be a one-off game -- but I also want to run a Session Zero where we create the game and characters together.  During Session Zero, we'll come up with a more specific time commitment that works for everyone. 

I've never played a tabletop RPG before.  Can I still join?
Yes!  Absolutely!  FATE is designed to be a really beginner-friendly system.  It's why I chose it for this and why FATE is my preferred game for introducing new people to my favorite hobby.  If you're new to the hobby and want to dip your toes in, by all means, please join!

Where will this game be hosted?
I'll be running the game on Discord.  Online FATE doesn't really need a digital tabletop the same way online D&D does.  If we find we need a digital tabletop, I'll try to find a free option that works for everyone.  Any collaborative writing that needs to be done -- such as during the character creation process -- will be done on Google Docs

Do I have to use voice chat?
It would be very much preferred.  A lot can be done faster if everyone can talk rather than waiting to type.

Do I have to use video chat?
No.  I won't be because I don't actually have a webcam.  You're welcome to turn on the webcam if you feel comfortable do so.

Can I stream the game?
I was considering streaming it myself, but only if everyone in the group is comfortable with it.  If that's the case, you're welcome to run your own stream from your perspective or host mine.

I see two different games here: Core and FAE.  Which one will we be using?
FATE Core and FATE Accelerated (FAE) are largely the same game.  The only differences are in the skills and damage system.  Core has a longer list of skills and two damage tracks.  FAE condenses everything into six skills and one damage track.  The result is FAE starts and runs faster, but Core has a bit more granularity.  Grab both; we'll decide which one we want in Session Zero.

I see these "System Toolkits" here.  What are they?  Do we need them?
System Toolkits are guidebooks for expanding the basic FATE rules to deal with different game types and subjects.  We don't strictly need any of them to play, but some might be beneficial depending on what kind of game the group ultimately decides on.  Feel free to take a look at them to see if they inspire any ideas. 

Do I need to create a character before showing up?
No.   In fact, I would ask that you don't even try.  Like everything else in FATE, character creation is a group effort.  Your character will have a history with at least a couple other characters which will be determined as part of Session Zero.  Show up with a couple character ideas if you come up with them, but don't get too attached to any of them because you may end up reworking them or coming up with new characters during Session Zero.

Then what should I bring?
   • Ideas for a campaign or campaign setting
   • A device capable of running Discord and Google Docs
   • A decent microphone
   • Copies of the FATE Core and FATE Accelerated rulebooks in whatever format is most convenient for you, as well as the associated character sheets. 
      ○ You don't need to read them cover-to-cover, but familiarize yourselves with the first few chapters, particularly the game creation and character processes, if you have the time.
   • A general idea of your Wants and Limits (you can use SotE's W/L page as a guideline for what that means)
      ○ You don't need to prepare a specific list -- we'll be going over it as part of Session Zero -- just give it some thought.

You've mentioned Session Zero a lot.  What are you talking about?
Session Zero is the pre-game session.  It's where we lay out our ideas for the game world, come up with campaign ideas, pick a story tone, and create our characters together.  It's also where we establish ground rules and make sure everyone's limits are understood.  FATE has a very solid method for running Session Zero and it's one of the game's greatest strengths that sets it apart from D&D. 

Session Zero is the most important session.  If you want to be part of the game, you have to be there for Session Zero.  I may make an exception based on extenuating circumstances, but that's not a guarantee; things get complicated if I have to try to run a make-up Session Zero. 

Okay, this all sounds great.  How do I join?
Either DM me on Discord at foreverunforgiving#4519, reply to this thread, or PM me here on the site.  Please include your preferred days and times for the game.  You can also ask me any questions

When will the game start?
Probably a couple weeks from now, depending on how quickly the group fills up.

Interest List:
Celeste Adra
Miracle Mira
Eckhart Von Musel
Wolfborn
Imperfect_M
IntrovertedGamer
"...who put swarm torpedoes on the Tev bombers?" -- Nighteyes

Serish: Demonblood sorcerer-spellsword

Alera N'Rali: Queen bee of The Sightless Eye information network

Eckhart_Von_Musel

This sounds like fun! I'll have to familiarize myself with the rules, but with how things are right now I have more than enough time. Consider me in!

TheUnforgiving

Given the schedules of those who have already expressed interest, I've set a tentative date for Session Zero: Saturday May 2nd.  This could change if it proves necessary, but I'd rather not push it any later than that.

TheUnforgiving

Session Zero has been scheduled for Saturday May 2nd at 12 PM PDT (7 PM GMT).  Anyone else looking to join should contact me by Saturday morning at the absolute latest.