Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Alleviate her suffering... (Continued)

Started by Rhindeer, March 14, 2005, 11:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

[pardon the crappy, crappy title...of anyone can think of anything better...rename it! XD]

Beatrid followed Fahmida as she lead the way to the village, all the while smirking to herself. Kuro would be late, and he'd be reprimanded, the show-off. And he'd deserve it, too, for not following orders. Because he was obviously too good to follow orders like the rest of the Mordecai.

...Which was, as of late, herself.

She had no idea where this Antaeus she'd heard of was, or where he fit into the scheme of things, and Tyne, as usual, was off doing his own thing. Probably hitting the sweet shop or flustering another tutor. Anything to avoid work. And then there was Kuro, of course, who also did his own thing, because he was better than the rest of them. He wouldn't even let her do her job! Everytime she was in some element of danger he had to go and play knight in shining armor and save the only female Mordecai, because she had apparently turned into a damsel in distress without even knowing about it. Oooh, but she couldn't think of another person that aggravated her more than him!

Newsflash! She was a Mordecai! A trained soldier! Of course she was going to be put in dangerous situations, and she had accepted that when she took on the job! She didn't need saving. And someone injuring themself to save her from injury was just...just...stupid.

She'd do it for someone else without a thought. But she didn't need someone else doing that for her. She didn't like being in anyone's debt.

And she didn't like being the only responsible Mordecai, either. It was crap.

However, all feelings of frustration and aggravation faded away when she saw what state the part of the village they had entered was in.

Holy hells.

It looked like a warzone.

On impulse, Beatrid tossed her long braid out of the way and reached back to take her crossbow, holding it out in front of her and loading a bolt into it. Couldn't be too cautious.

Glancing over at Fahmida, she finally spoke up for the first time since following the woman, working moisture back into her suddenly dry mouth. "What...what happened, here?" Whatever it was, it looked recent. Beatrid could still feel the heat from the attack, and the smoke was making her eyes sting.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

((Oh geez!! You have somebody called Kuro! I do too! Geepers...that's wierd :shock: He's a wolf...anyways! I think I might be able to find some way of joining this one me thinks...can I?))

Rhindeer

[Don't see why not! Hop in!]
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

((Heh! Thanks :D I think umm...Dimitri would be good!))

Disaster can come from anywhere and start from anything, an answer is usually found but for those who were not around at the time or willing to confess then it can never be found. Some people don't notice it at first but because of the strong smell of smoke it can be discovered. One was able to smell it from a mile away and even if they weren't the first to notice it it was still good to check it out.

Dimitri had been wandering for a fair time, for days it seemed; he wondered whether something would ever crop up to allow him to stay but nothing seemed to until he discovered the village. It looked like something had started a fire that easily spread because of the way the houses looked, Dimitri wanted to find out what had caused it to burn but he was too late.

From the ashes and debris a strange looking man wandered on the outskirts of the blaze just trying to see if there were any survivors but it seemed unlikely; the heat was blinding him and the smoke gave off strong poisonous gases making it hard to get close. He quickly backed off from the outskirts where it all lay and glowed completely white for a moment, the man just seemed to disappear and a rather large black dog ran from the village...if anything he had to get away before he was to be blinded or just became even more dirty.

'Damn! Whatever started that...it sure has passed! I don't know what started off this unless I get to the focus of destruction...' he thought in confusion before he noticed someone had approached the village too, he stared with large green eyes before he slowly walked towards them with his head held low, 'I wonder who they are...they didn't start it, I can see that definately'

Anonymous

(OOC: Oh, Rhi. I renamed the thread. Couldn't help it. :P And a bit of warning about yer character, Hylian. Considering that he is in an anti-magic kingdom, it would be very bad for him if he was to change in front of the inhabitants.)

"Took you two long enough..." The voice of another Mordecai hang in the air. The voice came from the top of one of the rooftops still intact. A darkish figure remains crouched on the corner edge of the nearest building to the vicinity. His lengthy, black scarf hangs drapped over the edge of the building as he scans the distorted area with yellow eyes. Only one eye can be seen though, as the other one is contantly hidden by his mix of white abd black hair. Kuro Kiraa, the ninja of the Mordecai. Also one of the most productive. His view turns towards Fahmida and Beatrid soon after he spoke up.
"I managed to scan the parimeter of the area and it all looks the same. Still no idea of what may have done this." Kuro speaks again once his eyes lock onto the two femme warriors. He then leans over the edge of the wall of the building and drops down to the ground below. His black scarf slowly flutters down after him. From there, he walks towards the two with his scarf following behind as if the wind has its own affect on it.

Anonymous

((He knows that but what he does isn't magic, it's part of his inheritance and his race! Heh! He won't be using any magic,if he was to he would be repairing the village with it now wouldn't he? Heh! You see I think I think!))

Dimitri stared at them before he sat himself down and looked back at the village before towards the people again, he didn't know what it was but something else seemed suspicious about them, 'I could be wrong though, they look like it was probably something they didn't expect to see!' he thought calmly before he whined and shook himself free from all the ash in the fire, they were starting to burn though his fur.

He had to change back into his human form but there was a problem, he didn't know if these two were familar but he did hope that at least one knew what was going on, he needed an answer...a village doesn't burn down by itself after all!

Anonymous

"The bastards finally got bold," Fahmida replied once she reached the burnt street, putting a hand on her hip and looking side to side. "Looks like magic doesn't it Mordecai? I don't think any kind of mundane explosive could do something like this."

Fahmida's eyes crossed when she heard the male Mordecai's voice from above them. Cocky son of a- "Who do you think you're kidding?" she asked acidly, glaring up at the man on the roof. "You didn't know what we were going to investigate, so you probably followed us like a spy on the rooftops. I wouldn't be surprised if you were compensating for something that isn't quite as magnificent as you think you are."

She took a few steps forward, eyeing the collapsed buildings. Most were flattened, others were partially collapsed with a left or right wall still standing. Fahmida raised an eyebrow and looked over her shoulder. She heard something, or thought she heard something.

"Hello!" she called, turning in the direction she supposed the noise came from. A dog, the ash in his fur made him a bit hard to see.

Anonymous

((Ohh I waited ages for a reply I did! :lol: ))

He quickly span his head around and stared at the people before he did a full spin to face them and stared at them curiously before he glowed a white and stood up appearing as a normal person, he appeared to be a metamorph, "Hello!" he called back as soon as he gained the ability to speak even though he was a little embarrassed with his appearance as he was still covered in ash, 'I didn't think there would be any survivors...'

He slowly began to walk towards the village but because of his lack of clothing he stopped short of where he had only been able to make it to, he didn't want to get burned by any hot debris after all, "Hey! Did you come from in there? Do you know what happened?" he called out to them quickly before he looked behind him at the other.

Rhindeer

Beatrid nodded numbly at Fahmida's question. Magic. Indeed, it did look like magic. Beatrid couldn't think of anything else that could cause such mass destruction, and the mere thought made goosebumps prick up along her arms. If only she or another Mordecai had been here...then it could have never happened.

She had been about to speak, to put words to her body language in case Fahmida hadn't seen her agree, but it was then that another voice cut in.

And Beatrid's shoulders hunched up defensively.

ARGH! She should have known! It seemed he couldn't go a day without trying to show off, the arrogant jerk! What was he trying to prove, anyway?! Well...maybe it was best not to know the answer to that question. But, really, he must have some sort of inferiority complex if he thinks he has to one-up everyone everytime. At least, that was Beatrid's opinion on the matter.

She gave a soft snort as he dropped down to the ground but otherwise said nothing. Fahmida had covered that area nicely. Instead, she made a big show of not looking at him, and instead began looking about the area. Hrm...there wasn't much here, anymore. A dog, but...that was about it.

A dog that changed into a human!

In a flash, Beatrid had her loaded crossbow aimed at the man's unprotected chest, cocked and ready to fire, finger firm on the trigger. "Don't move," she called out, voice equally firm and unwavering. It couldn't have been magic. That much she knew. With two Mordecai as close as they were to the man, he wouldn't even be able to think the word "magic". Still, no chances could be afforded, especially not now. What was a shapeshifter doing wandering about here? Beatrid saw no people in this area, save those who were tending to their wounded or looking for their loved ones. No one else was stupid enough to linger around such a dangerous area for no good reason.

And shapeshifters usually had magic, too, didn't they?

Either way, you couldn't be too safe.

"What are you doing here?"

Anonymous

Dimitri stopped in his tracks and slowly turned his head to see what was going on, he didn't know what he had done wrong at all but it had probably something to do with what he just did, he raised his hand and waved to show that he wasn't wanting to be shot and that he wasn't threatening anybody, "Hey...I'm here since this was suspicious that's all", he replied slowly before he turned around and shrugged.

He didn't use any magic, he knew while he was working in this land that he wasn't allowed to so he didn't see the harm in it at all, he didin't do anything wrong since he was just not a normal human being, "I didn't use magic okay? What I do...doesn't involve magic, it's just what my people do okay?" he said calmly before gave another shrug as if trying to show the innocence in it all, he wasn't doing any harm to the law.

Anonymous

Kuro was quick to ignore Fahmida once she tried to get into his face. She was lower rank than him anyway, so it matters not what she had to say. Instead, he gazes out to the blazed area. His vision quickly focuses in on the dog as it transforms into a human. Not natural indeed. Kuro wasted no time in taking action. He lept towards the remains of a building and bounced off that to get a higher reach to land on the rooftop of a building still completely intact. From there, he dashes to the edge of the building to leap off into a midair somersalt to land behind the morphing human. Once there, be instantly pulls out his katana in a blink of an eye and holds it at the 'human's' back.
"Suspitious, indeed." The ninjesque Mordecai notes as the trail of his black scarf finally catches up with him.
"What is your purpose of being in Connlaoth?" Kuro questions, not too pleased with seeing a shapeshifter amongst the damaged area of the village. Certainly something to be suspitious of.

Anonymous

"Oh! Hey hey hey...I'm here to help! It's my spiritual duty for pete's sake! Not to mention it is not hard to notice a mountain of smoke when you don't live that far away now surely?" he said quickly as he looked back, other people didn't seem to have a problem with him being around but he was out of his area, people were not use to seeing somebody like him in this part of the countryside it seemed.

He wasn't sure what else to tell them that would satisfy them that he didn't use magic in this place since it was forbidden, he couldn't exactly move somewhere else from the money he was making with his inventions since he knew they were not a big hit; he had to tell them something though that could at least please them, "This village was unstable from the start. I fix things like this and even improve them but it would be more helpful if I was to see if there were any bodies burried from the help of my nose, you do not get many dogs that can tell you that there is a person straight away now do you?"

Anonymous

Fahmida backpedaled a few steps when the dog suddenly became a man. That didn't happen everyday - especially with two Mordecai around!

Speaking of the Mordecai, they did a good enough job of pulling weapons on the creature and they seemed to have it under control. It was talking, and hadn't attempted to run or attack yet. Fahmida used the time the Mordecai spent pumping it for information to think, crossing her arms and staring at the dog-turned-man.

From what she knew there was no type of magic that could resist a Mordecai. And even if there was such a magic, would it be able to resist the power of two Mordecai all but bearing down on it? If the creature's magic was so resistant, wouldn't it be using the other tricks in its arsenal. Or maybe the transformation was the only one it knew that was strong enough to resist.

Or... perhaps its magic was so effective because it was focused on its body alone. Fahmida's eyebrows rose, an end of her lips curving up into a smirk. She knelt and lifted one of her pant legs, removed the curved, Dragoon pistol strapped to her boot and stood.

"Let's see how sincere you are. Step forward and touch the woman in front of you," Fahmida tilted her head toward Beatrid. "Make sure you touch your hand to her skin and keep your hand in contact for more than a few seconds. I suggest that you try not to escape while doing so, or you'll have hot lead in your face and cold steel in your back." Fahmida pointed her gun at the shapeshifter, pulling the trigger enough so the hammer tilted back some.

Anonymous

"What? Hey c'mon it's not magic, it's as natural as your hair! C'mon...don't make me do this..." he asked in a moan, he didn't see what the big deal was, he was never going to use his magic in this place and he was only here for the good job prospect; "I developed weapons like you have there you know!"

He just moaned under his breath before he slowly approached the woman in front of him, he stared at her curiously before he glanced back at the other before straight back to her, "Does this have any point in the matter? Surely you're not prejudice against my kind are you? I've been living here for at least a year now!" he told her before he quickly grabbed her hand and held it keeping himself still before he thought of something, "Hey about that hot lead thing...what exactly is that? When can I let go?"

Rhindeer

Beatrid held her crossbow steady, and simply rolled her eyes as Kuro sumersaulted into the scene, the flashy bastard. She half wondered how the hell he ever survived as a supposed ninja when he went out of his way to draw so much attention to himself. Weren't ninjas supposed to be secretive and not draw everyone's eye to them? He couldn't just climb or even jump down from the building, nooo...he had to bloody do flips off it and whip out his stupid sword, always one-upping her with his ninja...stuff. As if her crossbow weren't enough, as if she didn't already have control of the situation. Nevermind that it was a good thing that the creature was covered from all angles if it was dangerous, but...just the fact that it was Kuro...that's what did it.

For some reason, it just bothered her. He bothered her. He just...he just always acted like she was inept or something and not every bit as good as he was.

Ooo, how she just wanted to turn her crossbow on him and not the dog-man right now...

She was fuming silently as the dog-person explained himself, and as Fahmida spoke to him, and her body was rigid as the dog-man approached her. Not because he was a potential mageâ€"she knew what he was being tested to do right nowâ€"but just because she was pretty pissed right now, overall. Men. Argh. She couldn't see how other women could put up with the creatures.

Beatrid started to sober up as the dog-man approached her and went to grab her hand, and she jerked her body quickly so that he grabbed her forearm instead. Her hands were on her crossbow, and she was not going to let him touch that.

She watched him warily as he held on, thoughts of Kuro gone from her mind for the momentâ€"at least, until he did something else that set her off. Watched....watched...

Hrm. He wasn't reacting. If anything, he seemed confused. But Beatrid had seen other mages fall into a stupor just by her mere presense, nevermind when they actually made skin to skin contact with a Mordecai! And he seemed just as...normal...as he had to begin with. No changes that she could see, no concern, no worry, no fear. Just that same bewilderment.

But...then...how did he...?

"Let go," she said firmly, and tugged away before he could. "Looks like he's pure..." she told Fahmida, blinking slowly. "I don't get how, but..."

Anonymous

"Shifter..." Kuro answers Beatrid's confusion while sheathing his blade. His one yellow eye that can be seen moves from the dog-man to the fellow Mordecai.
"It's a natural ability, like how the Demon before was a size shifter. That's still something to be wary of though." He explains further as he walks passed the so-called human with a gift.
"He may be able to shift into a dragon like the one before. You could never tell." The ninjesque Mordecai explains further.
"Was there anything else you needed, Fahmida? Because it seems like my services are not necessary here." He finishes, not changing his constant tone of voice.

Anonymous

Fahmida watched the Mordecai and the creature carefully. Not much changed. Scratch that, nothing changed about the creature. Contact with a Mordecai was enough to make magic users unable to think about their 'gift'.

The Mordecai had a point, he was pure. He was also some kind of non-human, one that could apparently change shape through some natural ability. It made her think of the legends the people in her home village told each other on long winter's nights. Though, her thoughts were partially interuppted by Instructor Kuro explaining it all to the dumb ladies. Heh, if it was so potentially dangerous why'd he bother putting his sword up? Idiot. Her pistol was going to stay trained on him until she was absolutely sure he wasn't a threat.

"I'm surprised it took you so long to figure that out," Fahmida replied, smirking. "They've been unnecessary since you went tromping off by yourself.

As for you," she looked back at the creature. "What are your people called?"

Anonymous

"Wha? Uhh I dunno...a human?" he replied looking confused at what she meant, he thought of himself as just a normal human with a gift as they thought but he did know the name of his kind; he just didn't know whether he should actually tell them just to be threatened again.

In all his days he has lived in this kingdom, he has been up against many threats by the Mordecai before but he was always able to make them just pass on the killing him threat by doing something for them; he wondered what he could do, "Hmm...you're not going to take your guard off of me are you? Would you just forget it if I was able to upgrade those weapons of yours or something? Howabout some new gadgets? What do you want?" he asked quickly with a smile just completely dismissing the idea that he could be dead in less than a second, he never cared about such stuff though.

Rhindeer

Beatrid snorted at Kuro, but otherwise refrained from commenting on his last statement. Inwardly, though, she was hoping he would leave. There was just...something about him that consistently irritated her. She knew it was bad. He was a Mordecai, too, and she had to work with him. Like it or not, they were a team. But it looked like the situation was taken care of, like they didn't need two Mordecai on the scene. Well, at least, not on this scene...never knew...this area looked pretty blown up, so maybe there was something much bigger around here that would need a few Mordecai.

Bah...as much as she hated to admit it, it might be best to keep him around...

Even if the day might end with her uprooting her braid.

"Stick around, Kuro...we'll probably need you later," Beatrid muttered. "And stop being so damned impatient. Not like you have anything better to do."

It was the creature's next few statements that made Beatrid blink, her grip on her crossbow relaxing slightly, allowing the tip to lower. Human? And...now he was offering to upgrade their weapons...

Blinking again, Beatrid tossed a rather lost look to Fahmida. Well...he certainly did seem harmless, but she wasn't going to make a move until she'd gotten the go-ahead from her superior. And so she once again lifted the crossbow, and waited.

Anonymous

Kuro was just about to willingly take his leave when Beatrid openly suggested for him to stay. The ninjesque Mordecai was a bit confused. It wasn't like Beatrid. Nevertheless, it's always better for Mordecai to stick together.
"Bribery will get you nowhere, shifter." Kuro was quick to answer the dogman's deperation attempt.
"Are there anymore of you?" Kuro asks as the thought flies through his head. Perhaps he might have some friends that would wrecklessly come looking for him if he were taken into custody.