Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

The Night Shift

Started by Anonymous, July 22, 2008, 03:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Within the brief pause that he gave, she watched as his face softened. The pause had lapsed into a short speech that had given her enough time to realize his intent and bring her muscles into action. Shit. Eyes darting around as his dark figure barreled towards her, Maia realized too late where he was aiming to strike her. Springing off the balls of her feet, she jumped to the side, but not fast enough. Feeling the connection below her ribs, she winced momentarily before whirling around, her foot instantly airborne as she aimed a kick towards the side of his head.

Trying to keep her focus through the embarrassment of receiving the first hit due to false confidence, Maia mentally scolded herself for not bringing at least one of her knives with her, that she could have made this whole situation easier on herself by not having to fight just with her body. What's done is done, I can't help my poor decisions, she thought while keeping herself alert to any sudden moves that he might make, glaring across the short space at him. Angered by his words, which she'd taken to seem teasing, she growled inwardly, wondering why he hadn't been taken off the streets by now.

ooc: Heh, it's fine. I really didn't give you much to work with and I wouldn't expect fight scenes to have lengthy posts involved anyhow.

Lion

[He, when you're right, you're right. :] ]

Kaito let his breath move through him like water flowed through a gently moving brook and when it reached a certain point he used it trigger the force of a raging river.  He felt his energies pour into his fist and used it as merely an extension of himself.  With it, all his spirit, emotions, and mind surged through his fist upon collision, creating a force impact greater than the effort put into it.  He felt his fist connect with something hard and structured which his mind immediately calculated to be her ribs.

He pulled back his arm but found he did not retract quick enough to successfully evade her swinging foot.  The force by which the heel collided with the side of his head sent a wave of pain through out his skull that was enough to dizzy him for the greater half of a second.  Yet he used the momentum she set upon him to his advantage and rolled to the side in the direction which his head swayed, successfully crouched upon his feet and his arms poised in a prepared position at all times, to deliver or dodge.  Though his throbbed with an almost unendurable headache, he shunted the pain with a quick breath technique.

The thin soles of his shoes worked in a fashion similar to slippers yet with the durability of the hardest pair of boots, allowing him to move like the wind with incredibly accuracy strike with his legs like a snake bite.  He saw an opening and moved in for the strike as he rolled forward and feigned a thrust kick to the gut.  In that moment, he quickly launched himself upward, flipped over Maia, placing a powerful grip on her shoulders as he landed behind her, his back facing hers.  In that instant, with a cunning motion of his hips, he used the momentum of pelvis to throw her over his back and onto the space across from him.  Years of experience taught Kaito that sometimes the enemy's worst opponent was their own body.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

A swell of satisfaction overcame her as she felt and heard the connection of her foot with his head, smirking as she watched him back away from the blow. Alert and awaiting his next move, the pain in Maia's side from her injury came to her attention, throbbing as she took in a sharp breath. Though surprised that she'd sustained an injury she quickly masked the emotions she felt as she stared across at him, grinning to herself. Her face fell immediately when she saw the kick he'd aimed at her mid-section, bracing herself to be struck from the front yet again. Confusion set itself across her face, though, when he shot upwards in front of her.

Once again she was late to react, trying to move herself away, unsure of what he planned to do. As soon as she made her move, Maia gasped in surprise as she felt his hands clamp down upon her shoulders, her plan to move away shattered as she found herself being thrown into the air. Frozen for a split second in shock at what was happening, she caught her bearings and flipped, coming down in a crouch in front of him, her eyes narrowed slits as she glared up at him in anger.

Never once giving the ease of becoming trapped a thought, she launched her body upward, trying for another shot at his head as she pushed herself forward with her left fist aimed at his jaw, rage in her expression and murder in her eyes as she reached out with her right hand to rake her nails across his shoulder.

Lion

Expectation and preparation were two concepts that were in constant struggle on the battlefield.  A professional warrior learned to expect the unexpected and be ready for anything while remaining focused.  It was with this in mind that Kaito calmed his emotions when he felt a wave of rage coming from her eyes.  He did not smile but kept his senses trained on her for there was no telling what might happened when an opponent was angered to madness.  While anger had its advantages in strength and relentlessness it did allow the mind to focus and such was detriment to an opponent.  Kaito would find a way to use this to his advantage.

As she soared down at him with her hands aimed to maim him, he rapidly calculated the distance and speed she would come thrashing down upon him and used the remaining few seconds to throw his body to the floor in a barrel roll.  Upon landing in a crouch he swept up into the air along with her and wrapped his arms about her before delivering her to a crash landing upon the ground in a body slam.  He rolled backwards and to his feet, awaiting her next move all the while feeling the tumult of emotion that leaked off of her in steady waves.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

It took everything within Maia to not yell a string of profanities at him when he dodged her attack. Growling inwardly, she looked down at him as she continued to rise higher in the air. But then he was up with her, his arms trapping her as they wrapped themselves around her. Panicked, she squirmed wildly when she realized what was happening, pushing against him to try and get away but nothing seemed to work. The impact sent a shock wave throughout her body, rendering her motionless for the briefest of moments, her eyes following him as he moved away from her.

Testing herself for injuries, she attempted to breathe but found her ribs screaming in protest to the necessary action, leaving her gasping for breath for a moment before she regained control. Wincing, Maia slowly raised herself into a kneeling position, quickly identifying her collarbone to be broken as well. As she got to her feet her body pulsed with pain at varying degrees, leaving her with no room for expression of any other emotions than the intense pains of her chest and head from crashing onto the hard surface beneath her. Raising her eyes to meet his, she did her best to keep him from seeing any hurt in her face, though she well knew her body showed all the signs.

The she was smiling. A wide grin breaking across her face as she labored to breathe correctly. She knew then that any blow she took to her torso would render her useless in her work with the time she'd need to recover. Slowly, to distance herself from him, she took a step backwards as she kept her eyes locked on him, her hands coiled into fists to prepare herself for any action he would take. "You fight well, at least better than any human I've encountered. Did you intend to kill me or shall we part now? I've got other business to attend to, if you don't mind."

ooc: Uh, continue the fight if you want, or we can let them leave and move on to the meeting to plan his capture xD Whatever you want, I forget the chain of events.

Lion

Kaito knew from the start that he had dealt her a crippling blow.  He could tell in the way she carried herself in an attempt to climb back to her feet that she was trying all too hard to hide the pain he had delivered to her.  He was not one to fight without just cause and was therefore not surprised to see himself feel a faint sense of regret when she struggled to get up.  It was the empathy in him and quickly remembered he felt the same way in his first encounter with the old man who had taught him all he knew.  But he was in no mood to reminisce and at the time like this especially.  Though he was primarily an empathic by spirit, the warrior in him was dominant and kept his face stern.

It was not until she spoke that he knew that she wanted no more.  He mirrored her expression and replied in a calm voice, "You're not so bad yourself...  No, I don't think I will kill you.  Destiny seems to call for us to part ways and if I'm lucky we'll not meet again."  He stood straight up after backing away a few more feet to the building's edge.  "Here," he went on, reaching into his upper robe and pulling out a single gold coin.  "This is so I wasn't a complete waste of time."  With that he kissed the coin and tossed it to her before becoming one with the darkness of the night.

[We can go ahead and end it here.  My next post will take place two weeks from this point with a few moments before the intended fixed fight.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Relief eased her momentarily when she heard his words, nodding to him as he backed away. Carefully stepping to the edge, she looked up when he spoke again. Lifting her good arm to catch the coin, she smiled, shaking her head at the gesture before putting the cold piece away. Looking out across the wide expanse before her to be sure he was truly gone, Maia finally let loose the pain she'd been trying to hide in the last moments. Taking care to mind her injuries she made her way back across town to climb back through her window and into her room.

Giving a shallow sigh, she turned to face her mirror to assess the damage done. Lightly poking at the fracture site of her collarbone she shook her head at the signs of bruise development beginning at the surrounding skin and took a long strip of cloth to produce a makeshift sling to immobilize the area. Once finished she searched for clothing to better hide herself, not wanting Ottah to know she'd been hurt. After changing, Maia slipped on a soft pair of shoes before walking to the water basin set on her bureau to wash her face, setting the coin he'd given her next to the bowl before she picked up a brush to make her hair presentable again. Checking the support she'd wrapped around her shoulder one last time, she turned and slipped down into the streets to make the excruciatingly slow walk back across town to report her success in killing earlier in the night.

Finally she reached the entry to the small building that housed her employer and his partners, men who harbored some of the more intelligent minds of Adela, who knew exactly how to keep those like Maia under their control. Not bothering to knock, she entered and made her way through the familiar halls before she came upon the door she'd opened thousands of times to step into Ottah's office.

Seeing him there at his desk, reading some sort of letter, she closed the door behind herself and stepped closer until she was sure she had his attention. As he looked up to meet his dark eyes with her sapphire, she nodded to the obvious question he sought an answer to as he stared at her, rewarded with a smile as she did so. The tall man stood, setting down the papers in his hands before moving around the wooden barrier to stand before her. "Any trouble?" Maia answered with the brief shake of her head. "You did not send anyone, why?"

"I wanted you to confirm the kill yourself, others have been questioning your loyalty to me. I knew you would never let me down, though, I'm glad that you proved them wrong." She frowned at this, wanting to know who'd been talking about her but decided against it to keep him in a decent mood. "Is there anything else, or may I go?"

"Actually, I got word that you were chasing someone tonight, was it your target or another?" Flinching at this, Maia looked him in the eye to strengthen her words. "I will not deny that I was doing such, you have been told correctly." Ottah frowned at this, not liking that she'd avoided the real question. He narrowed his eyes to glare at her, letting them bore deep into her own. "Why were you not doing your job, Maia? Are you lying to me?"

"No!"

"Then what?"

"The man I chased was a thief, sir, I heard cries from the streets and followed him, but that was after I'd made the kill." She paused to take in a breath, narrowing her eyes to mimic him, to at least appear strong. "Believe me, I take care of my job first."

Nodding and turning away from her, Ottah folded his hands behind his back as he strode across the darkened room, mouth tensing as he contemplated the actions to be taken against her. "Did you catch him?" he asked softly, a sure sign to Maia that he was angry with her. "Yes," she lied. "I kept a coin for myself that's now sitting in my home. If it takes your interest so much I can retrieve it for you."

"Are you lying to me?"

"No, of course not."

"Did you get hurt?"

"No," she answered, taking a fraction of a second too long to reply to the question. Turning, he came back to face her, taking her hands into his own and quickly jerking them into the air, watching her face twist into one of pain at the sharp movement, enraged as he watched her try to pull away. "Where else?" he asked, patience wearing thin as he released her hands. Quickly taking her free arms back, keeping the injured one still again, Maia held back a cry at the pain that pulsed through her body as she met his eyes again. "A few cracked ribs, but nothing to worry too much about."

The man turned again, this time to sit back at his desk. "Surely you must know you are of no use to me like this, Maia. Go home and rest for a couple of weeks, but know that if I did not care so much I would kill you where you stand." A sense of shame washed over her as she listened to his words. Nodding for the last time, she quickly left the room and made her way back outside to take the slow walk back to her quarters.

ooc: If the time comes and you need to manipulate Ottah, feel free. :]

Lion

A week had passed at a relatively even pace, at least according to Kaito.  In that week he had taken time to prepare for his next big fight, apparently bigger than last week's or the week before because apparently it was going to be the debut of some very promising fighter that went by the name of Edge.  It was rather corny and unappealing to Kaito, but then again he hardly gave a damn about what the hell his opponent was called cared only to win and claim his spoils.  Despite being so connected to the emotions of others, sometimes the Carpathian was as practical as the next man; or rather person considering that he wasn't human.  Kaito simply wanted to get this fight over and yet...

As he stood there in the changing room he pondered what his sponsor had told him just moments before arriving in the abandoned warehouse again.  "He's a newbie.  He's got to settle a rep somehow, don't he?  Look here, its easy money for both of us and you don't need to be gettin' a beatin'.  Now that sounds good, don't it?  All you gots to do is let him take you down, though not without puttin' up a good show, and the money's yours."  The words of Cavan set off a chain reaction from shock to offense, to anger, to down right pissed off.  It was difficult to set someone as calm as Kaito off but once he was angry he was like a bomb, just waiting to burn anything and everyone in his path.  Yes, he was practical enough to understand the necessities of survival in this world but he had his morals.  And never had anyone specifically wanted to pay him just for him to lose!  The very idea was against everything Kaito had been taught about honor in the ways of the warrior.  Ritual suicide was one thing, an act he deemed more cowardly than capture, but this was an offense to all the hard training the Carpathian had put into his work.  To lose just for another fighter for money was not only cowardly and stupid, but it would show that Kaito took no pride in his role as a fighter of the Underground and that he was just another one of his defeated opponent.  He knew that if he participated in the scrap just for pay, he already lost.  No, not to the fist of another but to himself, what he believed in and what he had been taught.

He knew also that the amount of pay for this one was three times as much as when he defeated and killed Foxhunter.  But suddenly it wasn't about the money anymore.  As Kaito finished wrapping his fists, he looked over his reflection in the mirror across from him and was determined to teach the proprietor a lesson.  With rage surging through him like a lava stream, he quickly struck the mirror before him, leaving it cracked and broken in a sign of rage.

He then departed out to the circular ring in which, as usual, was surrounded by the sponsors and proprietors shouting out and waving their money about like starved animals.  And then he saw Edge come before him.  For such a lean creature, his opponent was something of a giant compared to the smaller, more agile form of Kaito Cadeyrn.  The tall man, thick with muscle wore boxing shorts in red and gold, apparently his signature colors and bounced on his toes as the fight began.

Though angry, Kaito had a way of concealing his emotions and keeping them tame enough to work to his advantage.  Emotion was an unseen ally in a warrior's blood and to learn to use it took a great amount of time to master.  Albeit not a master, he was proficient enough to know how and when to use emotions to his advantage in a fight.  The two fighters went at each other in cold blood, at least on Kaito's part.  Within a few minutes he knew that Edge would not be an easy opponent but then again, he did not expect him to be.  The two exchanged blows, strikes, parries, and blocks and Kaito dodged a multitude of strike attempts in an effort to provoke the anger of his enemy.  It only took two or three of these actions to set Edge off and he went at Kaito in full force, grimacing and screaming out a string of obscenities that made many of the ladies in the circle blush furiously.

Cunningly Kaito dodged another attempt to punch his face, his body covered in glistening sweat before pulling on Edge's arm and tripping him with his left foot.  The giant of a man fell to the ground in a heavy swooping fashion, face first.  Kaito quickly knelt and pulled up his enemy's head by his hair and struck him several times in his face until blood dripped from his nose and several swollen sores exposed themselves around his eyes.  He felt his anger surge through him but he kept it controlled even as they exchanged blows a few more times and finally let it explode when Edge performed a roundhouse kick to his face.  The blow landed but Kaito was already so filled with rage that he numbed his whole body of the feeling and caught the leg of his opponent when he tried it a second time.  He held Edge's leg by his calf in a vice grip and punched him in his nads with his free right fist.

Edge immediately went into shock, clutching his wounded manhood and whimpering like a little girl who dropped her ice cream.  Kaito was not about to let his opponent regain his footing and immediately punched him in his gut then gave a swift uppercut to his face, knocking the tall man to ground rendering him unconscious.   There was silence about the crowd as Kaito stepped away from his fallen enemy, spitting on him before thrusting his way through the crowd.  Upon his departure of the ring, the circle of proprietors screamed out in the commotion, most cheering and others tossing their bet slips down in anger.  Suddenly, Cavan, the man who sponsored Kaito tonight came dashing out of the tumult of people, crying out, "'Ey!  I thought we had a deal."

"No," said Kaito turning around, his eyes poised in perfect anger.  "You had the deal.  My end was shit!  Rat bastard, you don't seem to understand the meaning of victory.  Its more than the money but its also something I don't expect a greedy son of a bitch like you to understand.  So to hell with you and your money."  With that he snatched the betting slip from Cavan's hand and tore it to shreds, slamming it to the ground before turning to walk away.

Just then the proprietor grabbed at his shoulder, saying, "Wait a goddamn minute!  Just who do you think—" But his words were cut short when Kaito swiftly turned struck Cavan square in the nose.  "Fuck you," was all he said before walking back to the changing rooms.

~~~
Later that evening a shadow with a swollen nose made his way to the enigmatic offices of a Mr. Ottah, or so that was the name that he went by.  The meeting ensued, with Cavan removing his hood and staking his claim, "I'll pay ya good money for you to take him off my hands.  The bastard him me in my face and needs to be taught a lesson.  He goes by the name of White Tiger and can be found usually in the ironworks district about this time of night.  Do ya think you can help me?"

"Yes," the shadow of Ottah replied.  "I think I have just the person in mind."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The week following her embarrassing failure Maia spent her time sleeping and resting her body to aid her natural ability to heal quickly. Her mind, however, was far from easy as her thoughts constantly returned to the encounter that had temporarily crippled her from work and spent her time mulling over the mistakes that she'd made. Every breath that she took punished her and was yet another reminder to her of her stupidity in picking a fight. Her eyes were glazed over with the pain she hid from the surface, a habit even when others weren't around to witness her usually graceful self live in a bubble of awkwardness.

Now with this idle period coming to a close she waited impatiently for sunset, pacing about her room to pass the time. Bored, she checked the wrap that supported her shoulder and found herself periodically rechecking it as evening made the slow shift to night. Wondering what she'd have to do to redeem herself in Ottah's eyes, Maia nervously ran her fingers through her hair as she waited for her time to come.

The moment the sun cleared the horizon Maia secured her knife belt to her hip and sprang out the window and down to the street below. Silently she slipped through the foot traffic for a few blocks before taking to the rooftops in her dash across town. Upon reaching the seemingly innocent building she perched herself on the edge to look down, wishing to spy on those who entered. Watching as a hooded figure passed through the entrance, the first new being she'd seen tonight, she extended her senses and winced when she found his path familiar. Tuning in to the conversation that commenced in the office, Maia panicked at what she'd heard. Please don't send me after him, she thought in anguish as she kept her eyes on the front door, watching the man leave.

Gathering her emotions and locking them away in the deepest corner of her mind, she dropped down to the streets from her perch and entered the building to walk the all too familiar path through the maze of halls. In one quick motion she was through the door and bracing her back against it as she eased her handle against her palm to soundlessly shut it again. "I am strong enough now, Ottah, what will you have me do tonight?" she began, voice soft in her desperation to please him. "So quickly you've come back to me, Maia?" he asked with a chuckle. The woman could but nod, ashamed that she'd ever let him down and put doubt in his mind. "I trust that you noticed that man outside, do you know what he wanted?" She shrugged, not wanting him to know that she'd been eavesdropping, but was rewarded with a frown at the gesture. "He's offered a large sum to have a lesson taught to a man that goes by the name of White Tiger. Apparently he got his feelings hurt but the reasoning behind a wealthy client's motives are irrelevant, aren't they? Would you be a dear and catch up with this man for me? Ruffle his feathers, give him a good scare...use that Carpathian charm of yours if you must. Men are blind to the missions of beautiful women; beauty can do no wrong."

The prospect of going after this man again frightened Maia because of what had happened in the recent past with him. Do you pet a dog that bit you the last time you came near him? It seemed to her, though, that she had no choice for she knew she could expect her own death tonight if she refused. Blushing at the thought of attempting seduction towards a man that easily could have killed her the last time she'd encountered him, she quickly pushed the thought away knowing well that her odds of reaching such a desperate measure in her work were slim because of her nature. Preferring to kill quickly if she must or make a swift capture if questioning or torture is in line.

Lifting her eyes to meet his across the room she gave a curt nod. "I'll take care of him if this is what you call for, you know that. Where might I find him?" she asked, tome emotionless to betray none of her worries. Smiling approvingly, Ottah told her, "The man said you'll find him in the ironworks and I'd hope one as eager as he speaks truth to me. Start there." Giving a final nod Maia was out the door as quickly as she'd come immediately bringing herself to the rooftops once again as she crossed over streets and began scanning the figures partnered with the shadows below her for the familiar one of the man who called himself White Tiger.

ooc: I am sooooooooo sorry about the long wait >_< Life around here has been hectic and I haven't had any time to sit down and write until tonight :[ *whacks life* Things'll settle down soon, though, I promise. :D

Lion

Despite his virtually endless Carpathian energy, Kaito was burned from inside out.  He was a pacifist most the time and getting angry, though volatile and dangerous in itself surely, really did take a lot out of him.  He waited until everyone had gone from the warehouse before choosing to depart himself.  Killing time in the change room, he really had to allow himself to cool off, to forget about the proprietor and the offense to his honor and furthermore to bring his psyche back the peace he so desired.  He meditated for an hour, utilizing the Three Seven Breath Technique and feeling the fire within him die down until he felt his skin cold in a damp sweat.

He was ready to depart now and slowly cleaned his now sore body from his perspiration.  Walking out of the warehouse when he was sure that no one would see him as was the method in leaving the scene of an illegal act, Kaito held his upper robe clutched carefully in his hand and letting the cool air caress his torso and arms.  He slipped into an alleyway and wanted only to return to his hotel and sleep if such was possible and did not care to use the rooftops for travel.  After a while of letting his muscles relax, he pulled the robe over his shoulders and was too tired to either tie it or notice the all too familiar shadow against the moonlight, watching his every move.

[*beats life too*  Gah!  Shortness=horror, but I guess exhaustion has finally caught up with me.  But no worries, life happens, I understand.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Diligently she searched, carefully inspecting every male she saw to be sure the one she sought had not disguised himself. A few caught her attention but Maia became frustrated when they turned out to be human and not the mysterious being she'd encountered previously. When finally she came upon him, though, she almost didn't recognize him. His stride and carriage suggested that he was tired as he walked along. Silently she crept parallel to him on the edge of the roof she occupied to better study the dark-haired figure and after a few moments without any sort of change in him to suggest that he knew he was being spied on, Maia began idly toying with the handful of weapons resting against her hip. Choosing her often favored partner, a plain, thin knife, she took it into her left hand as she leapt from the roof to land lightly on her feet, tensing momentarily as she wondered if he'd heard or sensed her movements at all. Deciding that she didn't want to find out she pressed forward, her knife-wielding hand poised in front of her.

Lightly she touched the tip of the blade to the base of his neck to let him know she was there. "White Tiger...nice to see you again, but I wouldn't move any further if I were you," she spoke softly, free hand hovering a hairsbreadth above his shoulder and a leg positioned to trip him should he attempt to escape her, all the while her eyes darted around to stay on top of any move he made should he plan to get away. "So tell me, what have you done to earn your very own spot on my agenda tonight?" she inquired.

ooc: ick, sorry it's short

Lion

The moment of anger certainly drained Kaito of energy much more than he initially expected.  He remained introverted, trapped in his own bubble too much to notice the silent shadow that slipped quietly behind him, taking out a small silvery blade.  It was only when he felt the very tip of the cutting instrument at the nape of his neck did his senses perk up and fought through the fog that clogged his thinking.  His eyes widened suddenly for a mere second until he heard Maia's voice.  He smiled smugly to himself, feeling his attitude return as his mentally shredded through the cloudiness and reclaimed itself.

"Ah, well if it isn't my good lady, Maia.  Say, did you catch any thieves lately?"  He chuckled lightly, wary of the fact that she might press the blade deeper in his skin.  As he reached out with his perceptions, she prepared herself to trip him should he attempt to escape; but after his recent battle with Edge, Kaito wasn't really in any mood to run away.  If she wanted a fight, he'd give her a fight; one that was worse than their first.  But of course, he didn't want to get his neck slashed so instead he decided to question her for a moment, to at least understand the reasons why she was here to deliver him an early death if that was indeed her intention.  

Carefully, he took patient strides to wrap his robe once about his hips, leaving enough space around his torso to move about.  "I don't know, to be honest.  I've done a lot of things to piss people off.  Or maybe you just wanted to settle the score.  It could be anything, really.  Or the most recent: refusing to participate in a fixed a fight."  He laughed lightly again before turning his head to catch a glimpse of her face.  "Heh, or maybe I charmed you enough during out last encounter that you just couldn't bear to live without me," he said sarcastically.  Then he got to his point, "So what?  Are you going to kill me?"

[*triumphs* here we go.  I don't think shortness is so bad, especially if one lacks the inspiration to create a long post.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Making a face at his jest, Maia fought the urge to be done with him right then and there so she wouldn't even have to deal with him any longer. "How very funny you are," she said, her own light laughter beneath her voice as she fought for control over the sound. Deftly lifting the blade of her knife from his neck, she moved it to make a slow cut down the back of his shoulder, dragging it and then stopping before beginning again for good measure. She wanted to get some sort of reaction out of him, wanted him to pay for embarrassing her.

Standing on her toes she stretched as much as she could before pressing a dry kiss to his neck, allowing her fangs to contact his flesh but not cut into it. "Of course you charmed me," she spoke softly against his skin before pulling away, grinning to herself. "I have not come to kill you tonight, just to make you bleed...a little, but if you've upset so many people I'm surprised that you've not been taken off the streets by someone less merciful than I." Then his previous words came to her attention. "You're a fighter?" She didn't know why this surprised her, he did manage to beat her up pretty badly when last they'd met, but it surprised her nonetheless.

Stopping the motion of her blade she balanced herself back on her feet and returned the knife to its readied position, pricking at the hairs on his neck. "You are a fighter?" she repeated, this time her voice soft, more distant. The alias made sense to her now, her face flushing with embarrassment that she hadn't fit the pieces together before. How smart are you to take on a trained fighter.

Now she moved with hesitation as she brought the sharp metal to rest against his neck, ready to slash him open if he resisted. "Lie down on your stomach. Now, or I'll do worse to you than I was sent for," she said, the command weak as it left her lips but she reinforced her wishes by pressure with the blade she held in her hand.

ooc: sorry, I didn't get this up as fast as I would have liked to.

Lion

Kaito made no move to defend himself or throw her off balance but instead left himself vulnerable to the edge of her blade as he dug it into the skin of his shoulders.  He made a snarling grimace but did not scream for pain was merely a reminder that he was still alive.  His fists clenched and released a heaving sigh when she paused for a moment to place a kiss on the back of his neck.  A slight shiver was sent jolting down his spine at the contact of her lips to his skin though he was sure only hell knew why, perceiving the scratching of her fangs against his skin.  "See, its fun to mock others, isn't it?  People say they keep me around because I know how to make them laugh... even if they are pissed," he retorted jokingly, smiling until the cutting into his flesh again summoned the return of the grimace.

"You're a fighter?" she asked once, an air of utter bewilderment at the fact leaking through her cocky and flirtatious visage.

He was silent the first time, responding by looking back with a 'duh' gleam in his eye.  He kept his head forward again when she repeated her inquiry.  After a second's wait, he answered her, his voice nonchalant, "Yeah, you caught me.  I'm no thief though the bout was fun while it lasted.  I'm a fighter all right.  White Tiger's just my pseudonym."   As perceptive as ever, he felt the hesitancy this news seemed to bring her and it was quite prevalent in her voice as she commanded him to the ground.  He almost took advantage of the situation by attempting to throttle her backwards with all his weight so that he could make a quick getaway but halted any movement to do so when he felt the edge of her knife at his throat, ready to tear through him should he give her cause.  Exhaling with impatience and a small grin on his face, he said quietly, bending his knees in obedience, "Y'know this isn't how I imagined how our second date would be.  But at least you're straight to the point; I knew I like that about you."  Kaito placed both hands square on the floor as soon as his torso made contact.  Trying to look at her out of the corner of his eye, swallowing against the blade's edge, he finished, "So could you at least tell me what you were sent for?  I'd like to know that I'm still able to wake up later on."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Listening to him speak made her feel even worse about her lapse of connection. His final comment forced her to take control of herself to hold back from the strong urge to slap him. "So cocky," she muttered as she followed him down, carelessly plunking herself on his back once he was down, hoping her weight would be enough to deter him from trying to make an escape, until she remembered how easily he'd thrown her around in their fight provoking a tense and involuntary swallow on her part. Readjusting herself to sit back on her heels, her knees pressing into his shoulders, Maia glared at him as he looked back at her with his question leaving his lips. "You are very ungrateful," she spat, removing the pressure she'd placed on him with her knife but keeping the weapon in place against his skin.

"I was sent to torture you, to teach you a lesson," she began, eyes softening as a laugh escaped her. "But how might I torture a man that will not cry out or otherwise protest against pain even as I cut into him? A man who is alone as far as I know with no other to threaten in his place? How might I torture one such as yourself? Who finds good fun and joking in every instance misfortune allows us to meet?" Maia shook her head as she looked down at him, at her knife that was poised against his flesh and then at the cut she'd already made. "I have nothing against you other than the pain you inflicted upon me but if I can't draw a reaction out of you then what other choice do I have?" she asked herself aloud, trying to reason with her thinking.

Lifting her eyes from the cut to meet his own she frowned tiredly. "Others of your kind are so easy to break...perhaps I should dispose of you how I do with every other," she mused, tossing the thought around in her mind as she leaned over him to replace her knife with her lips. Sighing against the skin she ran a hand lightly through his hair as she moved her mouth to prick her fangs at his flesh. "Would you like that? For me to take you away from this world? It wouldn't hurt you and it'd make my job so much easier," she whispered.

ooc: she won't kill him, just wanted to throw it out there xD

Lion

He puffed out a symbolic oof! when Maia plopped all of her weight on him like a hammer out of the sky.  She wasn't so very heavy that he wouldn't be able to carry her but with the incentive of a very sharp, pointy object at his throat made him change his decision.  Still, at the moment she dug her knees in between his shoulder blades, pressing him further into the already discomforting pavement, he was quickly falling off of cloud nine.  Kaito, still, refused to alter his demeanor as he chuckled at the reference of torture.  It wouldn't be the first time someone wanted to torture him and teach him a lesson.  His endless curiosity got on the nerves of a lot of beings so much, that he was surprised that he wasn't removed the dirt end of the street now that he took a second or two to really contemplate the issue.  But then again everything seemed possible when one knew one's own ability to survive and specifically how to do so.

He was far more hardy than she was assuming, hardy enough to endure a beating every week or so, even when he was the one to come out in triumph.  Kaito had allowed life to mold him into a tough adversary all the while learning to maintain his aura of cool that got him through the tough times.  Silence kept its course as he listened to her soliloquy, seeming to be sure to mention his insolence and careless behavior.  When he had heard enough he moved to answer, laying his face flat on the side against the coarse ground, "Life's hard enough as it is.  I don't see a reason why I shouldn't try to have a good time while I'm allotted my proper time to do so.  Besides I'm used to pain, more than you know.  If it's your goal to obtain from me a scream, I'll tell you that you'll have to try mighty hard."

He looked directly at her, the discomfort already getting the better of him as she did something he was not quite expecting.  She made movements toward him, something that could possibly be construed as 'advances' but Kaito was not blind.  However, though he may not have been blind, he wasn't completely invulnerable to certain sensations her tone, strokes, and words were evoking.  He felt his own fangs extending at the feel of being so vulnerable, with her teeth so close to the great vein of lifeblood in his body.  "The easy way out is for cowards, just as is death.  I don't mind it; if you're a coward that is.  But tell me, beautiful assassin, have you ever drained another Carpathian before?"  The last of his words said without malice but intense curiosity, even as his fangs were bared.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Aware of the discomfort she was causing him Maia smiled briefly to herself before the face was quickly shaped into a frown upon hearing his words, not liking the suggestion that she was a coward. Though she knew it to be true the extreme he suggested in the act of killing bothered her for some reason, making her feel that she needed to defend herself in some way. His final question, though, threw her off completely, an involuntary gasp emitting from her lips. Her mind reeled at the thought of killing one of her own kind, another of such a rare and slowly dying race. How did he even know about Carpathians? He was only a human! He must be a human, he had to be, how could he have figured out what she was?

Dizzy with her racing mind Maia found it quite difficult to concentrate as she sat back on her heels. She tried to remember instances where she might have given herself away and her face fell as her thoughts drifted to the chase a week earlier, at how fast he'd been, how easily he'd been able to hurt her and that he had left her with only manageable injuries and had not killed her. Even now with her fangs bared she wondered exactly how he could have identified what their owner was. And how long had he known? Why not spread humors of a Carpathian woman living in town if he'd known for the duration between their meetings? He can't be, she thought as she looked down at him, denial carved into her thinking as she tried to come up with some sort of explanation for why he might have said what he'd said.

As quickly as she'd lost her focus she was back from the depths of her mind fighting to regain it. Determined to play dumb and give him a hard time she narrowed her eyes to glare at him, her knife heedlessly resting in her hand. "I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you always speak nonsense when you face death?" However convincing she willed her voice to sound Maia knew that it faltered, lacking the confidence she'd hoped to insinuate while her eyes betrayed her, clearly showing the fear and confusion she was feeling as she fought inwardly with herself. Could he be a Carpathian?

Lion

How had he known?  It was such a proper question, suitable for a moment such as this.  But no matter what kind of wherefore was placed behind it, the inquiry remained.  How did he know?  Kaito had lived long enough to understand the abilities that came with belonging to a breed so rare.  Like the vampire, the Carpathian could, quite possibly, sense others of their kind, though for their vampire counterpart such an ability seemed far more prominent.  Except, instead of perceiving the energies with the senses, the Carpathian would, to put it simply, smell the other's blood.  But of course the other had to be bleeding or wounded in some fashion to get their blood sufficiently active to be smelled.  It was an ability even rarer than the name of the Carpathian itself.  He did not know exactly, that she was a Carpathian upon first meeting but the scent was familiar enough to him for him to throw it out there.  It was only when he felt her fangs against his skin could he confirm that she was of his species.  He did not know what it meant to uncover a prospect like this, nor did it occur to him that this could have anything to do with that lifemate business.

Kaito learned that the he was of a dying breed, one of so few females and too many desperate males.  Early on, he decided that he would not be so desperate a fool and concluded that he would not mind living in the conditions that would define him as a lost soul, that lifemate searching was a waste of time that could be used having fun before the inevitable would happen.

Yet her seeming disbelief did not go unnoticed as her distraction with the knife didn't either.  Throat bobbing in amusement, he retorted gleefully, "Oh don't give me that; you said yourself that were sent for one purpose only and to kill me wasn't it.  You know damn well what I'm talking about, my lovely lady."  He let his laughter grow as he perceived her fear and distraction his words had caused her.  He attempted to use such a moment to his advantage by quickly grabbing her knife arm and bucking her over to his side.  In a flash he was behind her in a kneeled position, grasping her knife arm in one hand while he wrapped one arm around her neck in a vulnerable position.  "You really need to start paying more attention to these things, milady, or else they'll keep happening to you.  You wouldn't want that would you?"  He was getting cocky again, trying to egg her on as he did before, not even noticing the fact that distance between him and that brick wall behind him could easily be covered by a quick thrust backward.

[Feel free to manipulate the scene and knock him out with the wall, just keep the scene moving.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

The laughing that erupted into the air, the man below her being the source, unsettled her as she mulled over his words. Those words, she knew, made it quite clear that she hadn't sounded convincing in the least. She knew? Of course she knew what he was talking about but answering such a seemingly simple question wasn't something she thought she could do right away. The idea of his being of her kind had crossed her mind when she'd first met him, seeing that he moved in ways that would be impossible for a normal human being, but doubt had already lodged itself into her mind long before that time; always hopeful that she'd find one like herself but never getting those hopes too high for fear of disappointing herself. Though just the thought of it, another real Carpathian, was enough to get her nerves jumping and her heart fluttering with excitement. She wished she could talk to him about it now, to try and understand what he might be thinking, but then felt embarrassed at the fact she'd come with the intention to harm the one she wanted to question.

Curiosity flashed in her eyes as her thoughts drifted for a moment, wondering if  he could possibly be the lifemate she'd hoped to someday find. No, she quickly decided that someone as cocky and uncivil as he is couldn't have been meant for her. Maia felt she deserved someone gentle who would take care of her not a man that chose fighting as his profession and hadn't at all seemed to mind beating her up. Not quite knowing exactly what was happening until she felt her knees come down on the pavement beneath her and her arm being clenched, she was harshly yanked back to reality. Panic set in when his other arm came around her neck causing her eyes to widen noticeably as she frantically struggled against him, thrashing at the arm that circled such a delicate part of her with her only free appendage. Stopping when her healing ribs began to protest at her efforts she tried to calm herself down and come up with some way to escape unscathed, his taunting words making the process more difficult and causing her to come up empty on any plan she might have formulated while desperation quickly planted itself into her mind. Then she detected a wall directly behind him, solid from what she could tell and probably hard enough to knock him out. "Maybe you should as well," Maia spat before leaning her weight against the arm around her neck, the action temporarily causing her to choke herself but she tried not to focus on the uncomfortable sensation as she threw herself against his chest to knock him back into the wall.

Hearing a satisfying thud at the impact Maia scrambled to free herself from his grip and turn to face him. With adrenaline pumping through her body she tried to calm her breathing and focus on him, eyes still wide from the desperation she'd felt just a moment before. Scooting herself closer to and kneeling beside him, in case he came around quickly, she took a steady, yet gentle hold to one of his hands and allowed the sharp weapon she still gripped to hover over the skin of his upturned wrist. She was still in denial, unable to accept the possibility that he was a Carpathian, yet she felt that she needed to talk with him. Calmly she settled onto her spot on the hard ground while she stared at him in anticipation, eyes softening as she took the time she had to study him. "Be mindful of your surroundings," she scolded in an airy whisper, a smirk playing across her features.

ooc: sorry I took so long to get this up, stupid studying *growls at school* and if you need more to work with let me know because I didn't really give you much to go off of. >_<

Lion

Then there was always the subject of 'types'.  Had Kaito believed that he would ever find his lifemate, he never did take the required to time to imagine what she would be like.  He did not want to waste time a flower that would never bloom or cultivating a tree that would bear no fruit.  He felt that to judge the value of a woman based on her qualities was only half the battle in finding a lifemate.  Still, however, he did have his preferences.  He had no taste for girls that too gentle or simpleminded.  He liked them like himself, rough, feisty, with an iron will of their own and most importantly a mind as well.  Then there was the matter of the enigma that was the business of lifemates, the concept that would make the two destined for one another, love each other unconditionally, no matter who they were or what they preferred in a person.  It was quite possible that this other Carpathian whom he had come to unearth a faint admiration for, was his lifemate, but he didn't care to entertain the thought too much at this moment for all he wanted was to get out of this death trap and safely to another location.

Yet it seemed fate would not have it and it was only a fraction of a second before she muttered something in return and threw herself against his chest.  In an instant he felt his skull come into contact with the wall behind him and everything in his sight blacked out as an incredible headache crept through his skull and over his brain.  There wasn't much to the fact that he was knocked out cold and probably wouldn't arise for a couple of hours.

[Just so that he doesn't run away, I think Maia should go ahead and drag him to wherever it is that she's going to hold him hostage.  Then perhaps when he's good and tied up, he'll be able to have a civil conversation with her.]

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn