Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Surprise Illness (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, May 20, 2009, 08:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Celine was worried. Three months had now passed since she and Willem were married, and she had been sick nearly every day for almost a month now. Celine had never been seasick, even from the first night she had spent aboard Willem's ship. As she lay in bed that morning, Celine prayed that today would be the day she wouldn't throw up.

That alone was enough to alert her that something was amiss. It wasn't the only thing that bothered her though. Sometimes she came so close to being sick while she was cooking that she considered it a miracle none of the men complained about their food. Not to mention this... fog... that she was in all the time. Half the time she couldn't even remember... what was she thinking about again? Oh yes, she was thinking about how hard it was to remember what she was thinking.

Yet for all of the food that Celine had almost given up eating, she didn't look any worse for wear. In fact, she glowed. Her skin glowed so healthfully that it almost rivaled the sun in its brightness. But then, if she was so healthy, what was wrong? What mysterious sickness had plagued her for the past month?

She was so scared... even she admitted that, but she couldn't allow herself to be scared. If Willem knew she was frightened of whatever this was, he might think she was dying. He'd already lost one wife, and she'd promised him on their wedding day that he wouldn't lose another. She would just have to take care of herself and do what had to be done, and hope that this would pass. She had not even admitted her fear to Willem, though she knew he could probably see it in her eyes.

"I'll get better," she told him every time she thought he was concerned. And at first, she'd believed it. But now, as she ran to the railing for what seemed the thousandth time, she wasn't so sure anymore. She didn't throw up, however. Instead, once the nausea had passed, she decided she was just imagining things, or maybe she was scaring herself into thinking she was sick. Right now, it was time for kitchen duty. At first, she thought everything was going to be fine. But when Celine was halfway to the kitchen, something even scarier than the vomiting happened. Suddenly, everything around her seemed to be spinning. She screamed and tried to stay on her feet, but she had been sick for so long that Celine was too weak physically to stop herself from falling.

Everything went black.

(OOC: Vomiting, memory fog, and fainting are all symptoms of pregnancy.)

Lion

Willem knew that deep down he had never been more confused in his life.  In the three months since they were wed, what Willem though would be a happy ever after was far from it.  Yes he was experiencing married bliss with his wife and couldn't have been more joyous to laugh, cry or be with a woman than he was with Celine.  But inside, he was shuddering in fright.  He would never admit it to anyone else, of course, but he feared, in the worse case scenario, that Celine was dying.  He had already lost one woman he loved, he would be damned if he was going to lose Celine.  The very though itself was nigh enough to break his heart, snap his mind, and put him on the brink of suicide, something he might've considered cowardly before but understood now as a part of hopelessness.

But he hadn't lost hope just yet.  Willem understood that she was only sick now, that the worse was yet to happen.  And with that in mind, he realized there was still time to be prepared for any instant of catastrophe.

Even that, however, was only enough to calm his nerves for a moment as he sat in his office and worked through his finances.  His quill moved diligently across the paper in an effort to curb his frustrations, to stop, somehow, the anguish that was burning through his very heart.

Finishing up now, placing the quill back in its writing case along with the plum colored container of ink, he was about to put his books away when suddenly a shrill cry ripped through the air.  He perked up and headed for the door.  Upon opening it, he felt shock grip his throat when he saw the unmoving body of Celine passed out on the middle of the hallway floor.

"Celine," he cried out at the top of his lungs when he found his voice.  He rushed to her and called for Barto and several more men who were emerging from the deck and their rooms.

"By the gods, Cap'n!  What happened to Lady Celine?" They rushed to her as well, trying to raise her up.

"I don't know," Willem managed as he pulled her up into his arms.  "Help me get her into her room.  Jon, call Barto immediately.  Something is terribly wrong."

"Aye, Captain," was all he heard as he cradled Celine in his embrace and carried her away.  Far beneath the stony surface of his features, he felt his heart sink as he laid her on the bed.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Someone was carrying her. Celine didn't know who it was, but she started to cry unconsciously as the person lifted her. Something was very wrong with her. Or maybe there was a different sort of problem. Maybe something was right with her, but so right that it had to start terribly. In the very back of her mind, in the part that could still imagine things even though the person was unconscious, she could see her mother, as she had been when Celine was fourteen years old. She was pregnant with her last child, Gabriel, although Celine hadn't known it then. And she, too, had thrown up, fainted, and generally lost her memory, only she had tried to spare her family knowing about it.

Not that Celine was completely uneducated when it came to pregnancy. She knew, of course, how babies were made, and her mother had warned her that the actual birth would hurt, although she assured her the pain was only temporary. But this... the throwing up, the fainting, and the fog... this, she had neglected to tell her daughter;whether to spare her worry or because she had simply forgotten was never to be known.

What if Celine were pregnant, though?

She couldn't have denied, if she'd been conscious, that this would have brought her joy.She had wanted to be a mother ever since she had met her first lover, Randver, but she had been too terrified to actually go through with it with him. Yet, she longed to be a mother, especially now that she would never see her family again.

But Willem would never believe her, or so she thought. He probably wouldn't believe she was going to be all right because Amelina had died, so he must think she was going to die too. She could hardly blame him for that, but it did make things more difficult. She wanted to tell him so badly, but the fear of him not believing her held her back. Yet she was tired of being sick and she wished she could tell someone....anyone. And then maybe that someone else, someone who had a wife and children, could comfort them both. It was something she had wanted to tell Willem herself, but it was a sad fact. For his peace of mind- and to ensure that he believed it- Willem would probably have to be told the news of Celine's pregnancy by someone else.

As the soft breeze of movement hit her face, Celine opened her watering eyes and the tears came from her eyes in two streams. When she saw Willem's face as he lay her on the bed, it only made her weep harder. She was right... he did think she was dying...she thought she could see it in his eyes. She couldn't bear to look at him anymore, but clung to his neck and cried into his shoulder. She was so tired of this illness. She knew he would perhaps be frightened even more if Willem saw her crying too, but suddenly she didn't care a whole lot. One person could only keep so much grief and stress inside them.

Lion

Willem fought the burning sensation that threatened to pour over his lower eyelids.  Fear engulfed him but he didn't want to utter or even think the worse had happened yet.  She stirred vaguely in his arms and it was now that he gasped in his throat when he saw tears streaming down the side of her face.  He didn't quite understand what was going on but as she clung to him, he merely embraced her as was instinct to do.  The mystery of it all threatened to shear at his heart, to break the chains that bound him to sanity.  Though to become mad might be considered freedom to some, Willem wanted a world that was comprehensive, even if achieving great comprehension was exceedingly difficult for him.  Such could never be imprisonment.

He didn't consider that she was dying just yet, that he was going to lose her so swiftly.  As a matter of fact he wanted to think anything but that.  That thought might summon a worse reckoning upon his mind and he wasn't yet prepared for the wrath of loss.  Instead he increased his hold on her rubbing her head with his hand and sh-shh'ing with his mouth in an act of comfort.  "It'll be alright, Celine," he tried to comfort her though he was clueless as to why she was crying.  "Don't cry.  Please...  for my sake and yours.  Tears won't make anything better.  Just calm down."

Soon, he let go of her and laid her across the pillow, gazing down at her with eyes that burned with the threat of tears.  He wiped her wet trails with his thumbs.  "You'll be fine.  You just passed out.  Barto's coming, he'll know what to do.  You may not know this but he's more than just a good cook.  He's also most intelligent when it comes to illnesses.  He'll find out what's wrong with you.  Just calm your tears my dear."

The men that helped him watched helplessly at the door, unsure of just what to do.  The loud voice of Barto could be heard rumbling down the hall.  "Move ye braggarts!  Let me through."   They obeyed and made room for the bulk of a man.  He waved them away and said, "Let the lady have her air.  What happened, Cap'n?"

Willem glanced at him then locked his eyes back on Celine, "She screamed and fell.  I think she passed out but now she's conscious.  Could you find the problem?"  He threaded his fingers into hers and squeezed her hand tightly.

"Aye, sir.  I'll do me best.  But I can't have any interruptions.  For her sake...you should leave."

He nodded and stood, leaning over her and giving her a kiss before he headed for the door.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Celine finally managed to stop crying when Willem said Barto was coming. Maybe now she could tell someone the secret she wanted so badly to share. She smiled wearily at Barto when it was just he and she. He might have wondered why she smiled so bravely, but soon he would know. She wiped her eyes and tried her best to speak, although having just fainted, it was very taxing on her.  

"Barto, Willem thinks I'm dying. It's not true, but I think he'd hear it better from you," she said, trying to sit up on the pillow, although she couldn't just yet. "He'd believe you more, I think.The truth is, I've been ill for a month now, and although this is the first time I've fainted, all the other symptoms are there, too. Memory loss... vomiting... skin that glows with health... I- I think I'm pregnant." The thought both frightened and thrilled her.

"But he doesn't know... he thinks I'm dying. Not that I blame him, but I'm afraid of him not believing me."

Lion

Now Barto certainly was not expecting this!  He'd come only to examine her and quite unexpectedly she had come up with the conclusion that she was pregnant.  All this was a surprise to him; so much so that if he wasn't already standing he would have jumped from any seat he'd been given.  He glanced first at her then the door.  He was uncertain exactly how to respond.  But when he found his words, he slowly but surely expressed them, "A-Are ye sure you're gonna have a baby?"

He approached her warily, as if she were some foreign entity.  When he reached her, he placed a heavy hand on her forehead and felt her face.  He inspected her closely.  "Indeed!  Ye are glowing.  I remember me wife had the same look about her when she was havin' our first little one.  Well, that was nigh th'rty years ago, but nonetheless the effects are the same.  I think ye sure are pregnant.  But tell me, child, why don't ye think the Cap'n will believe you?  He is your husband after all and I think there is mutual trust between you, isn't there?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"There is," she assured him. " It's not that. But Amelina... he thinks because she died that I'm going to die too. I can't blame him, nor seem to convince him otherwise, but it does make things hard. What I mean is, I doubt he'd believe only me, since I've been so sick lately. He might believe both of us, though...I hope. But we must tell him carefully. No need to cause more worry. "

The serious moment over, Celine started to laugh. "A baby! Just think of it. My mother didn't tell me this part... the fainting and the memory loss and the vomiting. I don't know if she forgot or what. But won't he be proud? And me... I don't have to worry anymore, to hold on and hope for the best...because the best is already happening!" Now that she knew she was all right, Celine couldn't stop smiling. "We must tell him right this instant." Suddenly, she couldn't bear to think of her love standing outside the door, worrying.  What Willem must be thinking! Her heart wrenched inside her chest to imagine it.

Lion

Barto gave her a nod of understanding.  "Capt'n Gurwulf bears the most magnanimous heart I've ever known in a man.  I'm sure he'll take the news most graciously.  And if  he loves ye dear like I know he does, then he'll believe ya.  Wait a moment, I'll bring him in."

At her insistence, Barto strode towards the door and opened it, beckoning Willem to come forth.  The Captian did so, wiping his eyes and his bearded face red.  He did his best to hide his face for a moment until he felt it right to peer down at Celine with a trying smile.  "Celine," he managed without breath.  He strode toward her and sat down in a chair beside the bed, reaching for her hand.

Barto looked to Celine with brows raised. "Do you want to tell him or should I?"

Suddenly Willem shot his eyes between her and Barto, "Tell me what?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Wilem..." She held his hand in hers, running her fingers over the back of his hand gently, soothingly. She looked lovingly into his eyes.  "I'm not dying, my love. I'm going to have a baby. Isn't that wonderful news?" Celine kept holding his hand even after she finished,  still slightly afraid he wouldn't believe her, ready to comfort him, but there was no longer the worry in her eyes as she looked at him. There was only happiness. She longed to feel a gentle, passionate kiss against her lips, but first she must wait for him to react. She was smiling more brightly than she had even on their wedding day now.

Lion

He must have been deaf, surely he must have!  He wasn't quite sure what he heard but he knew he heard something.  Speaking carefully, "Did...did you just say you're going to have a baby?"  His eyes were a little panicked and the fog of confusion had yet to lift.

But instead of waiting for Celine to answer, Barto, who stood at their side and let a heavy hand fall onto the Captain's shoulder.  "Aye, that she is, sir.  She has all the symptoms that my own wife had when she was having our own little ones.  She's got a bun in the oven all right.  You're goin' ter be a father, sir! Isn't that great?"

But Willem was still at a loss for words.  Him, a father?  Was this really happening?  A million questions invaded his mind and pokes spears at his sanity.  But it was undeniable.  He was going to be a father and suddenly the corners of his mouth were slowly curling up in a grin as he glanced one more at Celine.  "Well," he began softly.  "At least you're not dying.  This is fantastic news, my dear!"  He brought her hands to his lips and kissed her fingers softly, his eyes glinting with adoration.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She smiled into his eyes as he kissed her fingers adoringly. "I love you..." she whispered. Suddenly, all the other words she was going to say to comfort him didn't matter.  She was all right, and now that Barto had explained, she felt sure that Willem knew that. Now, just how was she going to take care of this baby, make sure it grew properly and all that? That was one thing Celine didn't have a clue about. She could hardly pull her eyes away from Willem, so much did she want him near her. Finding out they were going to be parents made her feel romantic somehow.

But she had to know.

"Barto, is there anything else we need to know? What kinds of foods do I need to eat to give the baby the nutrients it needs?" she asked. "I've never had a little one before, so I haven't got any idea." She tried to prepare herself to pay attention, sitting up a little more on the pillow.

Lion

"And I, you, my dear."  Willem braced her fingers to his lips once more, keeping them there this time.  There was a certain need to feel her warmth now, a desire to keep her close now that he hadn't felt before.  At least not in a long time.  He wanted to cradle her and hold her and have her fall asleep in his arms.  He wanted to hands to inspect her belly, to feel the life growing inside her that would be theirs to share.  He wished to understand this idea of father her with just him and her alone.

Barto nodded to Celine and said, "Ye really should be careful, milady.  Ye don't want to strain yourself.  As for necessities, well you'll need plenty of children's clothing, diapers, and blankets.  Babies must be warm, of course.  And for food, ye yourself were born with the tools to feed children, Lady Celine.  Excuse me for being blunt, but that's the plain truth.  But I'm head chef here, I'll make sure the baby knows gets the right food."

With that he headed for the door, grasped the doorknob and then looked back to them.  "The best of luck to the both of ye's.  I think I should give ye some alone time."  With that he departed.

Willem kept his eyes glued to Celine as he whispered breathlessly, "Parents...  So soon.  Such a beautiful mystery isn't it?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She nodded, and suddenly she felt so tired that she fell back on the pillow. When Barto had left, she looked up at Willem lovingly, knowing now by his eyes that they shared the same desires. As he wanted to hold her and caress her and feel the new life within her, she wanted to be held and caressed and felt. "Will you lie down with me for awhile?" she asked. It wasn't the seductive whisper she had used on their wedding night. (nor did she really feel like making love at the moment, not so soon after fainting.) But it wasn't altogether different, either. It was something between an intimate whisper and a plea not to leave. Celine made room in the bed for him and snuggled against him, finally letting herself begin to relax. "I was so scared you wouldn't believe me..." she finally admitted. "That's why I was crying. But feel. It's right there. You can hardly notice it at all yet, but it'll grow." She carefully took his hand and placed it on her belly, right where it was, grinning as if she'd found a hidden treasure she was sharing with him. In a way, she had. "It is beautiful," she agreed.  "That's our child in there, Willem. I wonder if it will look like me or you?"

Lion

"Indeed," he said as he slid onto the bed alongside her.  He wanted only to be comfortable and how else could he be comfortable if he was beside Celine and discussing the topic of their newborn child.  Or rather, child that would grow and foster within her belly, the wonder to come.  He scooted in beside her, placing his left arm over her shoulders and pulling her close against him.  "Why would believe something so silly as that?" he asked softly.  "I don't think I ever gave you reason that you couldn't confide in me.  But no matter; you've subsided my fears and that's all that matters."

He smiled softly while she grasped his hand and placed it over her stomach where he could almost feel the life in her grow before his very touch, as if his hand was all that was needed.  A smile graced his lips.  But not the type of grin that was wont of him in times of joy but rather the kind that was of silent wonderment, as if he was riveted to the very spot.  Indeed he found this kind of thing very glorious and he was caught up in the silence of the moment.  "And I'm sure that it will...," he whispered solemnly though there was hardly any need to do so.  "I think it will look like you.  I can feel it in my heart.  What do you think?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"No...I thought you thought I was dying... because of...her. Because she died." She sighed. It would ruin their moment together if she said the other woman's name, or so she thought. "That's why I was so scared you wouldn't believe me. I'm not going to be as sick as she was, Willem. Barto just said I shouldn't strain myself, but I'll be as careful as I can... I promise. I don't want to leave you any more than you want me to leave." She kissed him tenderly and passionately, both at once. She had meant what she said. Then she snuggled back into his arms. "I think it will look like me too," Celine admitted. "But I do hope it has your eyes. Do you prefer a boy or a girl? I can see the advantages of both."

Lion

"I would always believe you if whatever you say is from the truest of your heart.  I love you Celine and trust is what binds us and love is what warms us.  But thank you for being careful I don't think I could live without you."  Willem met her lips with an unbridled fire of his own, waxing more passionate than he had ever thought before.  He leaned his head against hers in relaxation, leaning back with her against him on his chest.  What she said next incited a giggle from his throat, "Indeed!  You vain little monster, you!  But yes, I believe the babe will.  I think I'd rather have a girl.  Boys are nothing but little monsters if you ask me.  Aren't I proof enough of that?  Yes, I think a girl would be most suitable.  What might you call her?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Elise. I think I'd call her Elise. Because it's kind of like a combination of our names." She smiled. "Elise Gurwulf. Doesn't it sound so feminine? You'd know she was a girl with a name like that. And I once heard this song... it must be ages old." She started to hum it in spite of herself. (OOC: Imagine her humming Beethoven's Fur Elise) "Can you imagine how the men would react if we had a little girl? She'd be all wrapped around the sailors' little fingers. But, begging my pardon, we'd have to be careful who she was around. I don't want to hear her say some of the things your men do."

Lion

"Oh," Willem began. "Elise is a beautiful name Celine.  I couldn't have chosen a better one myself!" He smiled and his eyes narrowed as he did so.  "Elise will have a strong name and will an example of beauty and vigor.  A fine combination of mother and father, don't you think?"  He laughed again at the comment about vocabulary.  "Probably, but I'm sure my fellows are decent enough that they won't ruin our little girl's brain.  They wouldn't want to do anything less than spoil her rotten.  Especially Barto, no doubt."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Celine said with a grin. "He's been like a father to me, and it would only be fitting that he would spoil her like a granddaughter. And with your piercing blue eyes, she'll get anything she could ever ask for. Though I'm sure our ship will be full to the top if she asks for a pony!" At the thought of a pony on a ship, Celine couldn't help laughing heartily.  But then her eyes turned serious.

"Willem... I do need to ask you a favor. When I'm in labor, I need you to dock the ship. No matter what time of day or night it might be. I will be in a lot of pain. I already know that. And if we should have a storm, suppose I'm having contractions and I fall out of bed because a wave hits the ship." She snuggled a little closer to him then, shivering at the very thought. "I know it won't be for months, but I just thought you should know." Celine was beginning to feel tired, an occurrence she assumed would happen quite often as her pregnancy progressed. But she couldn't go to sleep until she knew that Willem would be prepared for this. He would probably forget and she would possibly have to remind him as the months wore on. But at least she would have this fear silenced. It was the one thing that frightened her about living aboard a ship.

Lion

"True, very true.  Barto's been away from his family for a long time and I think he'd like to go back some day.  Something tells me that you having this baby is like being home all over again for him.  He'll no doubt see our baby like a grandchild.  And for all we know, he'll be the one to buy her a pony!"  Willem chuckled along with her until he saw her visage become all the more solemn.

With that he paused and listened to her request, nodding with understanding when she finished.  What she said was a horrifying thought that he'd rather not ponder on for long.  But it was a complete and utter possibility however and one that he'd best be prepared for in any situation.  He locked away her request in his mind for safekeeping as he said, "I know, love.  I'll do as you ask.  It's always good to keep such things in mind.  Unless we reached dry land, the anchor will be in check at all times in case of such an emergency.  Does that satisfy you, dear?"  He smiled and hoped he could ease her fears.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn