Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Surprise Illness (Lion)

Started by Anonymous, May 20, 2009, 08:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Yes...and now I am very tired. I think I would like to fall asleep in your arms now." Only about an hour had passed since Celine had awakened from fainting, but what a long hour it had been! "I fear I won't be able to keep up my duties in the kitchen quite so much anymore now that we know what my sickness has been. I'm going to take naps more often until I feel well again." Once she hit her three-month mark of pregnancy, Celine would feel more like herself, but two months from now seemed so long away. Her only comfort was that Willem would be with her, she thought as she kissed his cheek and fell asleep.

(OOC: From now on, her pregnancy will progress quickly.)

Lion

Willem's grin widened, an act that seemed to be most common nowadays.  He hadn't felt this content in a long time and was finally glad it was with a woman he loved.  "Sleep now, my love.  Don't worry about anything but taking care of yourself and our child. Get some rest.  Barto will take of the kitchen duties as he's always done; I doubt there'll be much a difference as far as he's concerned.  Just rest, I'll be here."

The Captain lied awake while Celine fell asleep on his chest as if it were a pillow and his arms were the blanket that warmed her.  Instead, he was content to just watch her sleep as he pondered on the concept of being a father.  This was finally happening...and he couldn't be happier.  The ship's gentle motion along the ocean rails eventually rocked even him to sleep.

[okay you can go forward in time if you want to the next couple of months or so.]

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

~about three months later~

Celine woke in the night suddenly, not knowing what had awakened her. She wasn't frightened as much as she was concerned. She hardly ever woke in the night anymore. But then, she supposed little Elise (She'd called the baby Elise from day one) didn't know the difference between night and day. And then suddenly it made sense. She put her hand on her belly, and as she did, she felt a strange sensation, almost a flutter. She laughed quietly as she realized it was Elise kicking. She was saying hello.

Celine wished Willem were awake to feel this, but she was aware that even if he were asleep, he might eventually hear her stirring. Even though it was the middle of the night, Celine suddenly felt like she couldn't sleep anymore. Her belly was beginning to show by now and it was becoming increasingly difficult to get out of bed, but she managed. She walked over to the railing and stood there looking at the stars, breathing in the fresh air, and wondering how in the world she and Willem had managed to create a baby. Gods knew it hadn't happened every time they had made love. Feeling their child kick had suddenly made things real to her, more real than they had ever been.

Lion

Willem, still lost in the warmth of dream's serene waters, was only vaguely aware of a weight being lifted from the bed.  He didn't notice her leave but when he turned to his side, he found it strange that her side of the bed was strangely empty.  Only then did he stir.  "Celine?" he called out, sitting up and rubbing his eyes.  But when there was no answer he rose from the bed, grabbed his coat and headed toward the deck.  There he saw Celine, her belly already starting to show and he started towards her.  "Celine, what are you doing out here?  You'll catch a cold!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

"I couldn't sleep. Elise started to kick and I couldn't sleep." Celine took his hand and showed him where the baby's feet were. The baby continued to kick madly, causing Celine to giggle. "See? As much as I would like to sleep, it is quite hard with all that racket." She then regarded him seriously. "It seems more real now, doesn't it? We're going to have a baby. By the gods, how did the two of us ever manage to do that? Babies don't happen every time two people have a romantic evening." Celine gulped. She had always wanted to be a mother, but now that it was actually happening, the idea scared her a little. What if she wasn't good enough at it? "Are you as nervous as I am right now?" she asked Willem.

Lion

Willem came to her steadily taking in the cool night air.  The waters were unusually gentle for the evening but it was a nice sensation to feel nonetheless.  Now standing by her a smile grew on his face, forcing him to pay no heed to his previous worry.  He felt her growing belly and nearly jumped from the movement he felt in their.  It was unlike he'd ever felt before and it made him grin even wider because of it.

He withdrew his hand and said, "Of course, not.  But one time is all it takes; at least that's what my father told me once before I left.  I have to admit I was quite anxious when I first learned the news.  I think we both are thinking something along of lines of if we're going to be good parents or not.  But I also believe the only answer to those questions is that we'll have to wait and see.  I can feel in my heart, Celine that you'd make an excellent mother. I have no doubts.  But me on the other hand...I don't know about that."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"You'll make an excellent father," she said softly. "If you can love me as much as I know you do, you can love this baby. She is a part of both of us. Won't that make her all the more worth loving?" She couldn't resist kissing him. "You'll do fine. Love is the most important part of raising a child and we both have plenty. The hardest part for me, though, is that my parents won't be here for our child like they were for me. What if she's hurt or sick and I don't remember what to do? Or what if she asks me one day why I don't have a family, other than you and the men?" Celine shut her eyes, unable to bear thinking of what pain that would cause her. "Don't you ever think about your family, too?" she asked.

Lion

"I suppose you're right," he said after he kissed her.  A little of the anxiety that plagued him before lifted and a sigh of relief escaped his lips.  He nodded and narrowed his gaze at the rail and then down at the water below.  "You know I would love that child no matter what.  It's parental instinct, I would never do anything wouldn't be in Elise' best interests.  My father was never like that; I could get into trouble and he'd give me nothing but the venom of his voice.  And because I can conjure magic, I can never go back to Connlaoth.  He exiled me for my own good and I don't think it would be a good idea for her to visit her grandfather if she develops special...talents of her own.  Do you think she will?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Celine hadn't thought of this. "I'm not really sure. But I hope to the gods that she wouldn't. Remember back before we were married, the night I came to you upset because Randver had found me? I don't think I remember ever telling you, but that night, I was more scared than I had ever been since my parents died. Randver knew that I had never had magic, but the gremlin with him didn't. And if I'm in that much danger just by myself, not having any magic, then I can somewhat imagine that for you...and for her, if she does... that it's worse. I can't imagine what they would do to you, and to her too, because it hurts me to have to imagine. I just can't bring myself to think about it. If we had to exile our own daughter-"
She couldn't go on, and suddenly found it difficult to breathe. Remembering an experience she couldn't remember ever talking at length about was simply too much for her in her fragile state. She leaned her head against him and sobbed quietly. She had good reason to be afraid of this, and it took a long time before she was able to stop crying. But when she was finally able to dry her eyes, Celine looked at Willem with more love than she had ever thought possible. "Be that as it may, and even if she does, I am still glad that I married you and not someone else."

Lion

Willem glanced at her with solemn eyes, eyes that burned in comprehension, sympathy, and mutual discontent.  He understood her worry and nodded as he held her crying self against his shoulder.  "I do remember that night.  But don't worry Celine; with me you'll be safe.  Do you recall that when I first met you, how I told you that when I would ensure your safety aboard this ship?  Well, I've kept that promise...I love you with all my being and I wouldn't know what to do without you.  And I'll protect our family with all in my power.  If it pains you, you do not think of torturous things."  He wrapped his arms tighter around her and looked down, "I wouldn't want any other woman."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Even after she had finally been able to stop the torrent of tears that assailed her, Celine was content to be held close, cuddling her head against him. "I will think of this no more. I promise. But I had to know that she will be safe... that all of us will be safe. If anything ever happened to either of you, it would be my worst nightmare." She kissed him passionately, but then started to giggle again when the baby kicked even harder during their kiss. Her mind could not remain on such painful thoughts when her child inside her was being so cute.

Lion

"Good," Willem agreed as he put his arms tight around her.  "I only want what's best for you, my wife.  That's all I would ever want."  He watched out at the water for a moment, the darkness of early morning ever surrounding.  He grinned a little when he felt the kick through her and heard her giggle.  A chuckle tickled in his throat before he uttered, "Doesn't that hurt you?  It looks like it would."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Not yet... but my mother always said that when you hit about 27 weeks, it gets uncomfortable. And then, when I'm in labor..everything will hurt", said Celine with an exaggerated groan. She was only half-joking. "I don't want to be in the worst pain of my life all alone," she said quite seriously. Celine just barely suppressed a shiver. They had never really discussed how their child was going to come into the world yet. "What do you suggest we do about that?" It didn't exactly worry her, but it was something they had better be prepared for when the time came. "I doubt many midwives would come on a ship, and how many babies has Barto delivered? What are we going to do?" Perhaps they should have thought of this before their wild night of passion, but then, there might not have been any passion, and therefore, no baby. And even though she was more than happy with Willem and the men being her family, there was a part of her that wanted to see her parents' bloodline go on.

Lion

"Oh you won't be alone, my dear.  That I can assure you."  Willem smiled sweetly at her.  "I'll be here and Barto will, since he really has no other place to go.  You can trust that he's had much experience with babies, he'll be able to help you more than I can.  Most likely, I'll just get in the way."  He grew somber for a moment before looking out at the water and wrapping his arms around her waist from behind a little tighter.  "He could do the midwifery, I'm sure.  All will be well, Celine.  Don't make yourself sick with worry.  If we find a port before the delivery, you can have the baby there.  If not...well, I'm sure we'll be safe.  You'll always be safe with me."  And he leaned in and kissed her cheek softly, leaning his head against hers.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"No, you won't be in the way," said Celine decidedly. "I will need you there to hold my hand when the pain is too much for me to bear. My mother also said that she felt most of the contractions in her back with Leon and me, so I might have back labor as well. Massage helps with that. I might even need you to hold me if-gods forbid- I faint, or to keep that from happening. I will need you- more than I can say." She kissed him sweetly. "It might even draw us closer, be a bonding experience, if you will. Looking into each other's eyes...learning to judge our feelings by eyes and facial expression alone. I won't be able to talk during a contraction, you see. It'll be almost romantic... and think how well we'll be able to read each other afterward."

Lion

Willem glanced at her with glowing eyes, "I'm glad you feel that way, dear.  I'd hate to be a nuisance.  I'll surely be there to help you in anyway I can, be it hold your hand or massage you.  I'll be by your side the entire time and gaze into your eyes, holding your hands close to mine.  This will definitely be one romantic experience I won't soon forget.  I don't think you will either considering we'll both have something to commemorate the moment."  With that his hand reached down and caressed her belly, smiling at feeling the life inside.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

She was so relieved that he would be with her, it was all Celine could do not to go limp in Willem's arms. "I love you so much." She smiled as he caressed her belly and responded with a giggle when the baby's foot found his hand, then a contented sigh. "I love you too, little one." She then looked up at Willem and yawned. "I think I can go back to sleep now. There was a lot on my mind, but talking about it helped. Thank you," she said, kissing his cheek.

(OOC: about time for another time change, I think.)

Lion

[I agree. But I don't think we'll need a thread change for it sine they'll probably still be in the same ocean in that time span.  Go ahead and jump ahead.]

Willem nodded in agreement before suddenly releasing a laugh that coincided with the baby's kick.  "This is going to take a lot of getting used to," he breathed with a glowing sort of excitement written in his eyes.  His teeth showed now and he almost didn't hear her next comment.  "Oh right!  Yes, I agree.  Let's go to bed, now.  It was quite a refreshing conversation and one I won't soon forget."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

*a little over two months later*

Celine groaned as she tried to get out of bed for the fifth time that morning and realized she couldn't. She was just a little over six months along, but already she was hurting more than usual. The uncomfortableness when Elise kicked- though she couldn't quite have called it a pain- had started, and her feet and ankles were now so swollen that she wished Willem could massage them, but he was likely off somewhere, probably captaining the ship by that time in the morning. At any rate, she couldn't see him.  On top of all this, Celine had very little, if anything, to make baby clothes with, and she worried their daughter would be naked for the first three months of her life. And worst of all, she could no longer wear her wedding ring- not on her finger, anyway. That bothered her most of all, for some reason she didn't know how to explain. How ironic that the consummation of their marriage meant she could no longer wear the ring! It nearly brought her to tears. Willem would probably think it was laughable. And all of a sudden, right when she thought this, the child kicked her in the ribs, which did hurt. She writhed in agony, and even though she couldn't quite breathe right, she cried out with it. It would sound strangled and desperate, and the tears spilled over onto the pillow. "I want you out, Elise!" she muttered through clenched teeth when she could speak again. Her forehead was glistening with sweat.

Lion

In that short span of time between their conversation and now, Willem had done all he could to prepare for the coming of their child.  All of it, no matter what he tried to do or how Barto consoled him, was very confusing for him and he worried every day and every night if he was going to do something stupid or horribly wrong.  It didn't help that suddenly he was becoming for busier than he imagined he would be.  He traded as much as he could, hoping to obtain the right materials and food for the baby which he almost did.  It was a good thing there were a few crewmembers that were adept seamsters aboard.

Although he rarely had any free time anymore, every moment he did have one, he spent it with his wife.  Now, while his men were busy unloading a shipment he obtained from a passing ship, he took this opportunity to scamper off into the cabins below deck.  First mate could take care of direction for a split second while Willem checked up on his wife.  Making his way toward their bedroom, he knocked softly on the door and, upon hearing her voice inside, entered with a smile on his swarthy face.  But the chance to grin was short-lived when he saw the amount of frustration on her face.

"Celine," he said, striding quickly toward her.  "Celine, what's wrong!?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn