Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Yahtzee!! ( Tally! )

Started by Anonymous, July 12, 2009, 04:00:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

A tight braid trailed down her back, the cloak was wrapped around her shoulders, the gauze and bandages were wrapped completely around her torso, the wounds still not completely healed. It had been a week or so since she'd gotten away, her legs and feet still had cuts, her fingers and hands were still cut up, bruises were on her wrists and ankles. Dazed, drawn.  Tarlaka didn't exactly look like her picture of military commander, no one here knew who she was anyway, even after she'd given them her first name, sure that if her captor had gone looking for her he would never throw her name around carelessly.

Of course, that meant that Tarlaka didn't go on saying who she was, shame clouded her smarts, so she kept quiet and accepted the hospitality of the village; they didn't ask questions. Though, it was obvious they ached to ask her what the large marks on her back were, why she had a brand, why she was covered in bruises and whip marks.

A week had gone passed or so, borrowed clothing from the elder son of the lovely couple who patched her up.

Tarlaka lifted a gloved hand and traced her reflection, staring at it, the bruised colour under her eyes from not sleeping, nightmares, the hollow dazed look in her bright blue eyes, the strange blonde hair. A sigh and she tightened the cloak before she stepped out from the couples room, looking at the older woman who smiled tenderly and wordlessly handed her a backpack.  Her voice was back, and it was odd, feeling the heavy cloth against her back, her shoulder blades, still so sensitive.

Without her wings behind her, she felt unprotected and exposed, but she took the backpack with a gentle smile, gave the elder woman a gentle hug and murmured a quiet thank you. Despite the ordeals she'd gone through the past few months, she was going home now, and she'd fight with tooth and claw to get there. It was mid-day, the settlement was small, so most people were in their homes eating lunch.

Tarlaka walked like she always did, head high, long braid bouncing against her back, shoulders straight. The backpack held in her arms, her back far too sensitive to carry the weight of ever light food supplies and bandages. A heavy sigh and she stood at the edge of town, fingers clutching the backpack. The castle, no... Home... Was a far ways away. And she'd have to do it all alone, too.

It would be so easy, to drop everything and stay here, and it made her slightly afraid that she even thought of something like that. Home. "I want to go home."

Tally

He was no king here.

It was important to remember that as he exited the inn and watched a band of Duhjari youths ride by,  hair ink-black and plaited in a multitude of braids.  They had the look of rovers, Duhjari men who roamed the plains without horde or family.  The kind of men, say, who raided the southern Adelan villages and killed their people for sport.  The kind of men he might have liked to take issue with were circumstances not what they were.

They passed him, heading out for the sea of grass beyond the settlement's palisade, and Akkiel continued out into the street.  Calling it a street was perhaps too generous.  It was a broad dirt lane gutted by wagon ruts and hoofprints.  Lots of hoofprints.  He'd known the Duhjari put an extraordinary value on their horses, but he had never seen so much horseflesh in one place before.  Whereas only the well-to-do could afford a horse in Adela, out on the plains it seemed every man, woman, and child possessed a steed of their own.

He'd pulled his long red hair back into a tail, and aside from Thorn's presence at his back he wore modest clothing.  Even whilst searching through Adela's own lands he'd dressed such, preferring not to announce his station.  Preferring that his enemies not be made aware of his approach by ripples of rumor.

The few retainers he'd taken with him here were similarly attired, and he caught sight of two of them standing watch near the inn.  They had spent one night here, and that was all they would spend.  There was nothing here, no sign of her.

As his eyes followed the Duhjari rovers out the palisade gate, a woman caught his attention.  She had her back to him, and he turned away, intending to gather his retainers and leave the opposite way.

But he turned back, and looked at her, and not for the usual reason he looked at women.  Something—he didn't know what exactly—triggered the ghost of familiarity in him, as though he had known someone of a similar stature, a similar carriage.

Anonymous

Feeling eyes on her back, Tarlaka peeked over her shouder, bright blue eyes obscured by the blonde hair. Stared. Felt her head skip a beat. She'd recognize him anywhere, why wouldn't she? The way he stood, the colour of his hair. His face. She frowned a moment, what was he doing here? Not looking for her. He was a King.

Like she gave a shit.

Tarlaka felt the wind in her face from running before she realised it fully, her arms empty from dropping her pack full of her meagre supplies. It was distance enough to leave her slightly breathless when she got to him, stopping in front of him a few feet, her eyes cast downwards before quickly looking up. What could she say? Did he even recognize her?  The roots of her hair and grown out slightly, the blue of her bangs and the black of her hair a bright contrast to the blonde it was.

"Akki?" Her voice was soft, distinctly hers. It didn't hold the bravado and force it would have normally. The dark smudges under her eyes made her eyes look dull, tired. Gloveless the bruises at her wrists and the cuts on her hands were all the more obvious against her pale skin as she reached to touch the front of his shirt, the other hand soon followed, one hand on either side of his chest fingers digging in slightly before the words started to fall out of her mouth like a shameful confession.

"I tried to get away as soon as he got me. Cut out my wings, branded me, ruined my hair." She snarled visibly before letting her voice drop, staring off to the side before taking a deep breath. If she didn't say this before he said anything she'd never say it. "Marched me through town naked. Who would recognize me? Blonde, wounded, branded. I'd look a lot like the Commander but I couldn't be her." Tarlaka avoided looking at Akkiels face at all cost, kept her hands on his chest.

"Took me through the forest and raped me any chance he got." She snarled glared off to the side, "Seems that men think that's a good thing to do to put a woman in her place. Rape. It pissed him off when I didn't turn into a mindless drone, but that made things worse." Tarlakas features turned dark and she took a few steps back letting her hands fall from his chest and take a breath. "I..." Tarlaka paused and lifted her head, still not meeting his eyes.

Her voice dropped lower and she jumped back into her words. "You're not alone are you? Why are you away from the castle? Do you have any idea how dangerous it is here for you?" Her head had rose, but she still wasn't looking at Akkiels face.

Tally

Recognition hit him like a physical blow, sudden enough, hard enough, that he stumbled backwards a step.  All the air felt forced out of him.

She stopped a few feet from him, an impossible distance forced by...what?  He railed at himself.  Move your feet, go to her...say something!  It was her, underneath the blonde hair and the haunted expression and the time and the distance that had separated them.  It's her.

Something else was off, something not quite right—Wings, gone, he realized, finally noting in his dazed state the absence of the dark arcs of feathers that would usually  have stood beyond her shoulders.  He shook his head in disbelief, eyes roaming the empty air behind her, adjusting to this new sight of her wingless.

When she spoke, even her voice had changed, but the words that issued forth chipped away at the spell that had come over his senses.  It was when she broke her contact and stepped away from him that he finally shook himself free of his shock and grabbed her shoulders.  "Tarlaka!"  He touched her arms, her face, drew her hands up to look at them, convincing himself that she was real.  "How did...what...wh.  No, I'm not...alone.  How did you get here?  Are you..."  Wrath blazed in him, awakened suddenly by the prospect of blood vengeance, of doing to someone everything that had been done to her.  He brushed blonde hair from her face.  "Are you pursued?"

His retainers had moved discreetly to more advantageous positions, facing outward, giving the two of them space and privacy and wary for whoever she might be fleeing.

Anonymous

Never had she wanted a hug more. The touches made her want to press her head against his chest and just rest. Finally she rose her head, bright blue eyes seemed a little muddled, the blonde hair and grown out a bit since it'd been dyed, the blue and black peeked through on her forehead and she closed her eyes briefly, pressing her cheek to his hand when he pushed the hair out of her face.

It took a lot of effort not to break down at cry, but she was a strong woman and she swallowed back her tears and took his hands again. This was really happening, but then she went pale when he asked if she was being pursued. Was she? Tarlaka moved a hand to her neck, frowning for a moment."No. Not... Exactly." How did she get here, " I got here by walking. I don't know where I was taken to, but I left as soon as I could." A hand moved up to wipe at her wet cheeks, she hadn't even noticed she'd lost her composure so soon.

"There's a beetle in my stomach." Tarlaka looked up, "I've tried to make myself vomit it out since I got away but I can't get it get it out, I don't know how to. It's one of his it's... Like tracking. I'd probably have to drink something instead of just..." Tarlaka swallowed and looked away, frowning, then instantly went pale and grabbed Akkiels arms, holding on tightly before her head whipped back around. "Oh gods. My daughter. Seiteki, was she taken too? Please tell me she's been taken care of. Please. "

Without thinking she leaned forward and pressed her head to his chest, hands still clinging to his arms. The tears had stopped as quickly as they had started, the weight of a few things were gone now that Akki was actually here, standing right here. At least it made the trip home easier.

Tally

It took an effort of will to trample down the rage in him that wanted to boil up, and even when he had mastered himself enough to see straight again, he still glared over Tarlaka's head at the settlement, suspicious of everyone and everything in it no matter how ridiculous that was.  No small part of him had hoped she was pursued, hoped he might have the chance to meet whoever had taken her and sheathe his sword in the man's chest.  He hoped for the opportunity yet.

"Seiteki is well.  She is at the castle, and Yuri is there with her."  That was the last thing he wanted her to worry herself over, though he imagined that concern would not leave her mind until the moment she held her daughter in her own arms.  "Never mind the...the beetle.  We will have it out of you once we reach Adela.  We'll take you to a Sanctuary monk."

Now that he had her, he wanted very much to be back in the city.  This place was not safe for either of them.  "Are you well enough to travel?  I want this place at my back."

Anonymous

It was like her fear of Seiteki was the only thing that kept her going because the relief of hearing that her daughter was okay made the strength sap out of her legs and she moved her hands to her face and took a deep breath. Her arms went around Akkiels middle on their own and she pillowed her face against his chest, squeezing her eyes shut. It was relief now, but it would hit her all the more harder when she got back home.

Tarlaka nodded numbly against him and she took a long breath before she composed herself. "I'm well enough to kill someone, so I suppose I can travel." She gave a dry laugh and pushed her palms against her eyes to wipe away the traces of tears. Another breath and she closed her eyes for a moment, willing for the commander to come back. The Commander wouldn't act like someone with a heart. A commander could hear their child had died and they'd keep going.

Then when no one could see them, they'd break down.

Another deep breath and Tarlaka stepped away and smoothed down her top and adjusted her backpack, "Let's get going. The sooner we leave, the sooner we get home." she swallowed and opened her mouth to say something else before she closed her mouth and turned swiftly, walking the way Akkiel came from before she turned around and frowned, "How many days until we're home, Akki?"

Tally

The two of them drew some curious glances from the few people going about their business in the settlement, but a hard look from Akkiel and their eyes hit the ground again.  He shrugged his shoulders and shifted uneasily. His back felt vulnerable, like a crossbow bolt could find itself between his shoulder blades any second. If the people who had taken her were smart, if they had any further goal at all, though would have found a way to follow her subtly, without her detection. They could be here now for all he knew.

Once she had composed herself again, Akkiel found one of his retainers and nodded. Moments later their horses were brought out. His own, Xanthos, walked out on his own and stopped before them.  He was large, even for a warhorse. Plenty big for both of them.

Akkiel mounted first, then offered Tarlaka a hand up so she could ride behind him. "A couple of days to get out of the plains. Crossing the Blacks will take some time, but once we hit the roads we'll have an easy time of it."

Anonymous

Tarlaka took his hand and was up on the back of his horse with her face buried against his back and her arms clasped tightly around his chest. She was so tired. She missed her home so much. She didn't care if Akkiel didn't smell like roses, the familiar scent was enough to break down that last final wall of bravado. Her tears were silent but grateful and she breathed slowly against his back before she took a final breath and she grew silent.

A jolt and Tarlaka rose her head, having fallen asleep for a few minutes. Her body visibly relaxed when she remembered where she was and she sighed and then cleared her throat. "I thought this was a dream. I thought I was getting taken back." Her hands moved across his chest and rested at his hips for a moment before they turned back into a grip so she didn't bounce off the large beast. "I'm sorry for being taken away." Her words were muffled against his back and she took a quiet breath before she tried to get closer. Home. If home was where the heart is she was very much at home already.

Tally

Akkiel gave a last glare around the settlement before urging Xanthos into a canter, one hand on the reins and the other upon Tarlaka's arm.  His retainers took up flanking positions as they rode out.  Akkiel turned back once and found the sight of the little village growing smaller in the distance most satisfying to watch.

Tarlaka didn't speak, and neither did he.  They had moved to a place beyond words for now, and he was lost within his own thoughts in between scanning the horizon for approaching horde. Their horses ate up ground at a fast pace on the flat terrain.

Eventually Tarlaka stirred.  He had held onto her the entire time, his hand never leaving her arm.  He pointed ahead of them to a scattering of boulders left upon the plains by some drifting glacier long ago.  "See that?  We'll make camp there for the night.  Then tomorrow we'll be in Adela."

Anonymous

Be in Adela tomorrow.  Tarlaka swallowed and pressed her forehead against Akkiels back. Her arm was warm where his hand was and she snuggled closer, sighing against his back. Tarlaka moved back and looked to where he was pointing and she stared for a moment. Back in Adela?  Her heart skipped a beat and she stared for a moment before leaning back.

Camping over night, huh? Tarlaka nodded numbly, before she closed her eyes finally and squeezed Akkiel tighter. Not tight enough for it to be a squeeze, but tight enough for her to believe it wasn't some sick fantasy she was playing out in her head. He was here. He was going to take her home. She would get to see Seiteki again and... Tarlaka leaned back and looked at Akki's striking red hair.

"Be in Adela tomorrow?" Her voice was wistful and she sounded like she was in a dream. Sure it was a large country and sure they were still far away from Ketra. But to have been so close to home the whole time? Tarlaka let out a choking sob of relief and leaned up to place a kiss of gratitude on the side of Akkiels neck. It was strange to have blonde hair and it was stranger still to not have her wings. Ever awful memory welled up and she stared ahead for a moment before she sighed.

"Tonight." Tarlaka stated, "So it has time to heal before we get home." She swallowed and ducked her head. "He branded me. On my lower back. I don't want it, I'll never be able to see it but I don't want it." Healers couldn't heal scars, but there were other ways of removing burns. "Will you help me get rid of it? Turn it into something else or... Or... Cut it off." Of course it was a grave question. What person in their right mind would want to hack and saw flesh off of somebody else. Tarlaka would manage though, if provided the tools.

Tally

Akkiel slowed them to a trot as they approached the campsite. "Aye, tomorrow.  We'll make the Blacks before nightfall if we leave early and ride steady."  It wouldn't make them wholly safe; they wouldn't be that until they crossed to the north side of the Thunderblacks. The southern side still fell prey to Duhjari raiders, but the mountains belonged to him. They were dragon land.  They were Adelan land.

Akkiel's hand clenched upon the reins.  Be calm, be strong.  This isn't about you.  And it wasn't about satisfying his own impulses, his own desire to lash out, to scream, to sate his anger. She was more important than this fury he held so close.

"You won't endure another night with it."  Whatever he had to do, however difficult, he wouldn't make her live with that.

Anonymous

She let her forehead rest against his shoulder and she parted her lips to breath slowly. Home. They were going home. How easy would it have been to miss one another? She looked so different. Tarlaka sucked in a breath and pressed closer.  He wasn't the King to her right now.

"Akki." Leaning back, she moved her arms  away, moving them to his hands so she was forced to lean forward and press herself against his back. Her mouth close to his ear, so she could speak quietly even thouh she knew that whatever she said wouldn't matter to his retainers. "I thought of it. So much. Of you. Of things I couldn't say if I..." She swallowed, "If I was gone forever."

"I regret never telling you, and I want to say it, before my tongue gets the better of me and keeps me from saying it. " She pressed her lips to his ear, breathed softly "I love you. More than a commander loves their King. I don't want that to change anything, but... I wanted you to know, so that I have no regrets." She swallowed and moved her face away, careful to pull herself away from him, just incase her confession and attentions weren't wanted.

Tally

His name, uttered so close, in a voice he hadn't heard in far too long, sent a shiver all down his spine and into his limbs.  Not an unpleasant sensation, but overwhelming.  Too much, and starkly unfamiliar.  She had not often called him that.  Had she ever?  He couldn't recall.  They'd just begun to...see each other in such a way.  And then she...

He felt as though all the breath had been stolen from him when she said those next words.  How many times had a woman said that to him, never meaning it?  How many times had he said it in the height of passion?  It had never made him ache like this, bitter and vibrant at once.

He spurred his horse into a canter, charging ahead of his retainers and hauling up abruptly in the shelter of the boulders.  He swept off the horse and pulled her down after him and clutched her close.  "I love you," he muttered, almost frantically.  He kissed her temple, her lips.  "I love you."

Anonymous

She was expecting silence. Maybe a steady nod. Something about how if they did anything or if he said anything they couldn't be formal anymore because it'd be weird. Tarlaka wasn't counting on Akkiel making the horse bolt in an effort to get away from her with her still on the horse.

But then he moved and got off, and before she could understand what was going on he repeated the words she'd said and she felt her breath catch in her throat. Felt her heart lurch when his lips touched her temple, her lips. She kissed him back, leaning into it.  This wasn't supposed to happen. He wasn't supposed to love her back. Self consciousness washed through her and she watched him while her hands moved from his chest down the sides to his hips.

"You... You do?" How. Tarlaka moved her hands to his face to push his hair away and she shook her head, shaking her head at him before she smiled.  She stared at his eyes before she pressed her hands to his cheeks and pressed her self against his front, smashing their lips together for a moment before pulling away.

She swallowed and moved to press her forehead against his shoulder. "I've lost so much of myself in the past month, Akki." She confessed, her voice heavy, "The me I built for years was torn down like wet paper and I don't know if I'm still the woman you think you love. I wince. I always look over my shoulder. I... I feel dirty and used and..." Tarlaka breathed slowly trying desperately to keep any sobs at bay. "I'm ashamed of myself. Of what happened."