Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Wrong Place, Wrong Time? I Think So. (Lion!)

Started by Anonymous, January 16, 2010, 10:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

After yet another Lord Knight Commander had been replaced, Adalia just couldn't see how she could force herself to serve under such a floppy person. Well, floppy looking. She did want to quit, maybe after this mission. Not back up, but a smaller platoon of mage-knights to meet up with some normal soldiers. Adalia wasn't leading, but she was one of the better trained mage knights so she kept on her horse and kept her fingers tingling.

It wasn't until half a day later that they got closer to see a fight going on, it was almost over, Adalia held back, it was a forest sure, but she wasn't really all that keen on uprooting a bunch of trees for stupid soldiers who were winning anyway. The group she was with had maybe twelve mage knights, they also sat back. It was just a group of rogues the soldiers were fighting, and like any battle there were wounds and disturbing images for Adalia to later try to get out of her mind. Maybe not the best solider.

Adalia turned her head away and tuned out the noises, waiting for the last of the rogues to get round up or killed. When the noises stopped it became apparent as to why the soldiers attacked them. They weren't just any rogues. They were slavers. Her blood boiled when she saw a blue haired little girl cower behind an older woman. Lady? Girl? Adalia frowned and nudged her horse to go forward, it did without complaint. Quickly she got off, her hands on her hips.

Out of uniform, but still with a strange style, Adalia wore a dark blue shirt, skintight, with a same coloured corset. On her arms up to her elbows were metal gloves, the tips were pointed to double as a physical weapon. Her skirt was short in the front and as it went behind it got longer, stockings were pulled up to her thighs, her boots to her knees.

She was a mage.  She didn't need a bow and arrow for long range combat. Licking her lips, she eyed the captain and then wandered over towards the girls about to be sold off as slaves. A quick exchange of words brought the older girl over holding Adalias hand, where she gave them over to another female mage knight.

The opal haired woman didn't want to think of what might have happened between them getting captured and now.  The rogues looked the same, nasty, missing teeth, so one captured prisoner caught her eye. Looked almost like a drow. Walking over she nudged him with her boot. They had been made to sit, their arms bound and their feet bound.  "You don't look like your friends." She flicked her green eyes towards the other rogues, to be brought to trial. Probably to be killed. "Were you stolen to be a slave too? What's your name and where are you from."

Lion

The smoke arising from the herbs tickled his nostrils and he did not think for fear that he would distract himself from his current activity.  It wouldn't do now to have his thoughts stray from what he was supposed to be doing and to do otherwise was to go back on his training.  Any setback, no matter how miniscule would surely drive his father into a despondent rage.  He was always more fearful as to what his father didn't say as opposed to the words that were uttered by others.  But he was used to verbal abuse and, therefore, he focused more on what was performed symbolically as opposed to direct verbal communication.

The smoke clouded the alcove he occupied and though he was so far away from home, he was accustomed to his standard solitude.  Before he could surround himself with the company of others and return to the village, he had to learn to endure the psychological hardships of loneliness.  But, actually, he rather liked it.  There was a lot less noise out here other than the chirping of birds and rustle of trees and the occasional growl from one animal hunting another.  It was so different than back home, others of his clan striding back and forth, making so much noise and racket that it was hard to concentrate.

But he was concentrating now and was doing a damn good job of it.  He'd made a small camp, one that was easily concealable near another camp that was at the bottom of hill near the rise of the mountains.  Hysaeda hadn't been this far north before in the longest time.  He was used to the southlands, the mountains that bordered the country humans called Adela.  That was where his home was and in that land, he was home wherever he went.  As he meditated now, his mind drifted back there, to the life and the fire that spewed from the mountain tops intermittently.  But as he wandered, he did not focus on the sudden racket that exploded from the camp below, a thunderous shouting that made him jump from his cross-legged position.  "What the," he breathed to himself and wiping the sweat form his brow.  Stamping out the burning herbs, he crawled out of his alcove soon enough and looked out down the hill, the incline steep and deadly with one false move.

Down below he saw lots of people shouting, several robed figures with makeshift daggers and blades running back and forth as several more armored figures came in.  Many were cut down and many more were dragged along the ground.  The uproarious outburst tinged at his curiosity and he slide a little ways down the hill, his sandals doing well to grip on the loose dirt.  Stopping at a jutting boulder and gripping a tree beside him, he looked down and continued to watch the burning fray.  Ragged men and women were driven out of what looked like huts and many appeared chained.  Some of them were dragged off with the rogues that seemed to try to make their escape, but were immediately cut off by more armored fighters that blocked their way.  Maybe some successfully disappeared into the forest, this Hysaeda did not see.  Yet a sudden wave of arrows blackened what view he had and a few hitting the rockface in which he occupied sent him jumping back.  But just when he thought his footing was firm, his foot slipped in the loose dirt and sent him tumbling down the jagged path of the hill.  His body struck several pointed rocks on his way down and as he tried to stop himself, his flesh skidded against the stone, scraping it in many places.  He grimaced at the pain, but was quick to curl his head into his chest and rolled to a very uncomfortable landing at the bottom of the hill.

He was hidden in a cloud of dust momentarily, dizzy from the fall and feeling his head and body throb where they were pierced with rocks and even feeling a bit of blood trickle along his temple.  Thankfully, his bone-and-leather armor, fashioned from the hide of savage beast, protected his most vital organs from receiving the brunt of the fall.  Hysaeda got up dizzily, holding his head carefully even as the fury around him swallowed him whole.  It only took a second to realize he was in immense danger.  He stared wide-eyed as one of the armored riders rode at him with his sword drawn.  He screamed and was intent on driving the blade at his head, but Hysaeda ducked just in time to dodge the blow.  He scrambled away now, running headlong and looking back at the rider that doubled back.  The skirmish was dying down now and the battle was coming to a close as the riders rounded up the last of the rogues, killing some and dragging some of them back to camp.  Hysaeda was caught between two of them, who both charged ahead with their weapons drawn.  "Wait!" he had tried to call out in Common, but his words were lost on deaf ears and their weapons were intent on coming down on his head.  Only his arm was cut as he moved out of the way, then successfully disarmed another and knocking him out with the hilt of his own sword.  He did not want to draw blood, not now.  Instead he made his way toward the center of the calming bustle, looking around him to see which way he might make a better escape.   Yet he did not see another of the soldiers approach from behind him and club him on the head.  Suddenly his vision went black and he collapsed on the ground.

Whether it was several minutes or several hours that passed, he couldn't tell.  All he knew was that his hands were suddenly bound as well as his feet and he couldn't move too well.  His limbs were heavy, like as if he were wading through muddy water.  Grunting lightly, the fog over his eyes lifted when he felt a sudden nudge.  "Gah!" he breathed, sucking in air sharply then trying to get into a comfortable position.  He opened his eyed and glared at the woman with the amber-red of his eyes.  "I don't belong here," he said quietly, keeping his eyes glued to hers.  "I slipped and I fell.  And now your men want to kill me.  I wouldn't tell my name to you; you are my enemy.  Why don't you tell me your name first?  And what the hell is going on here!"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Giving a long sigh, Adalia stared back, a little creeped out by his eyes. Being from Serendipity, Adalia was used to more... Fair people. The opal haired mageknight rose a single eyebrow before her lips drew into a thin line, obviously not impressed with his defiance. Putting a hand to her hip she watched him for a moment, her green eyes never leaving his amber ones. "You don't belong here?" Adalia spoke softy, she wasn't cruel enough to make his head pound with a loud voice. She imagined his wrists and ankles hurt, that the cut on his arm throbbed.  

Taking a dagger from her belt, Adalia reached down to cut the rope binding his feet together. Adalia moved back and stood, still holding the dagger out. "I am your enemy. I've giving you incentive to cooperate, but I won't hesitate to stab this dagger into your throat if you do something I don't like." Adalia wagged the dagger at him in her clawed gauntlets before slipping it back into the sheath.

Putting her hands on her hips, her shifted her weight to one foot, glaring down at him. "My name is Adalia. I'm a mageknight of Serendipity. We were sent here to investigate a group of rogues. Turns out they were doing illegal slave trading." A dark look passed her eyes and she eyed the strange man up and down, "But you know that, don't you. My men were trying to protect innocent young girls from brutish heathens like you." Her voice was fire and her eyes stared into his, accusing. Adalia pointed a clawed finger at him, jabbing it at him a few times before continuing. "Slipped and fell. Right into that? I saw it. Who would run into harms way on purpose let alone want to see it bad enough that they 'slip' into the middle of it."

Adalia was careful to stand a few arms lengths away. "Your name, Rogue. I know you have one, and if I have to cut off your fingers to get what I want to know out of you then you'll just have to figure out how to rape little girls without working hands to hold them down." a moments pause and she tilted her head to the side before leering at him, her hand returning to the hilt of the dagger, caressing it with her fingers, the metal of the claws making little noises against the metal of the hilt.

"Your name and where you're from."

Lion

A mageknight, huh?  He'd heard of them, but he had enough sense to stay in his own lands and away from what was deemed as 'civilized life.'  He'd been to cities and knew what they did to people...  He'd seen many of his own kind that deviated to the kingdoms of men, and the other fairer races indigenous to the eastern parts of the continent.  Cities melted away the will to survive, providing to one what they should have sought for themselves, like hunting material, water, and the like.  Cities turned mortals into soft things that were easily conquered, things that were crushed beneath the weight of what was Wild and Untamed.  Hysaeda frowned at the thought and softened his gaze on the woman for a second.  Well, he was not from any city; he wouldn't cripple beneath her threats so easily.

He watched as she freed his legs, but he stayed seated and kept looking up her.  He wouldn't stand up just for sake.  Maybe his defiance was just idiotic, but giving in just an inch, meant having to surrender more and more until there was nothing left to surrender anymore.  Hysaeda sighed briefly listening to her prattle and speech and as she waved her blade around, he smirked just a little.  "Don't worry, whatever you intend to do to me, will be all I need to render you helpless.  Even with these brittle ropes around me.  They're nothing more than frail strings.  I don't even know why you bother with them." Hysaeda wasn't sure he meant what he said, but the important thing was to make sure she believed what he said, not whether it was true or a lie.  If the enemy knew that one's forces were greater than they could handle, sometimes fear would cause them to turn back....sometimes.

Looking back up at the hill for a brief second, he recalled his falling, the rocks bashing against his skin and the scraps and scabs he had about now.  Dust covered him and his bare arms, though the tattoos were creeping out from his shoulders and his facial tattoos were all the more visible and were still stark against the dirt.  The fall hadn't marred him completely, but if he hadn't known how to fall with grace, he might not have survived so easily before.

Hysaeda locked his eyes on hers.  "You surrender your name so easily Adalia.  You think that your empty threats are just going to convince me to do anything?  I already told you the truth.  I slipped.  Do you think I'd willingly be here if I could help it?  I don't know anything.  You're doing nothing more than wasting your time.  So if you're thinking that I'm just going to tell you my name, you're wrong.  You are my enemy!  You understand nothing, so go back to your kingdom and live out the rest of your life like the weakling you were born to be!"  And with this he spat at her.  But as other soldiers began to close in around them, he now felt that perhaps that wasn't the best move for the current situation.  Well...he'd just have to see what happened.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Anonymous

Adalia rolled her eyes. Empty threats. "Brittle? We'll leave those on then." A smile as she took a few steps to the side to eye the ropes binding his hands. "Those are there to give us a false sense of security, Rogue. As long as we know you're tied up your threats fall on deaf ears." Another shift of her weight as she moved again to stand in front of him, hands on her hips. "What can you do while you're tied up? Even if you could break the ropes you'd have to spend at least a second to get your feet under you." A pause " You may be larger than me, but that doesn't mean you're faster or more intelligent. The fact you got caught proves that I'm smarter than you." A smile.

Licking her lips she frowned slightly when he went and looked over at an incline, feeling her frown grow deeper. Well, shit. Adalia looked back at the man and then over at the slope. Probably running away and didn't want to admit it. Slipped and fell while running away. A slowly forming snarl pulled at her lip while she looked back down at him, not at all impressed. Adalia couldn't help but stare when he locked their eyes and she kept her face a frown. Obviously displeased with his lack of cooperation.

While Adalia might seem to be stubborn, she was still a good listener, and she stared at him, too entranced by the funny coloured eyes to back away when his spit landed on her thigh. She'd drawn closer while he was talking, so it didn't take much effort to lift her leg as a 'knee-jerk' reaction and kick him in the chin. Adalia moved to step over him, her foot pressing against his chest, her body weight behind it as she pressed her boot into his chest. One arm was out to ward off the few soldiers that had gathered around them, and her other hand, the tips of the metal gauntlet slowly turned red with the heat from her magic.

"My threats are not empty. I may not enjoy killing living creatures but there's always the expection to that rule." Another forceful push with her foot to get him on his back and Adalia moved to sit on her chest, her knees on either side of his arms, eyes narrow, a nice way of describing her would be 'pissed'. "You disgusting heathen. I was trying to be nice, then you go and spit on me." the hand without the heated glove grabbed his chin, forcing him to look at her. "I'm obviously more civilised than you are, and weak I may be but that is none of your business, considering the position you're in. I'd kill you now, but that would be illegal." Adalia moved and stood up dragging him into a sitting position.

"You know what? I'm going to take you back to Arca myself. Aren't you just lucky." Her voice dripped with sarcasm and she took a deep breath before glaring. "I'm not impressed, Rogue. Not impressed at all. Now would be about the time you'll be wanting to break free of those ropes."

Lion

He certainly was not in the mood for this!  She was putting up a good fight in trying to convince him to be cooperative, and he could see his defiance was not pleasing her at all.  Oh well, it wasn't meant to.  Hysaeda grimaced in the face of her explanation that he would remain tied up.  Well, that was something he saw coming.  No soldier in their right mind would dare let a prison go unchained unless they were stupid.  She claimed she wasn't, well, he'd just have to prove her wrong, now wouldn't he?  He smirked a little at the thought, but just then, he felt something hard collide with his chin, forcing his head to jerk up and teeth to clamp down hard on his tongue.  His mouth feeling raw, he spat again to the side this time and watched her in silence.  Yes, she would be a tough one.

It wasn't long before he felt her foot collide into his chest and nearly knocked the air right out of him.  If he wasn't so good at breathing, it just might have squeezed the last breath from him.  But he hardened his jaw further and held his breath, fighting against the pressure and making the red of his eyes burn hotter than before.  He could have sworn he nearly saw steam rise from one of her gauntlets in addition to turning red.  Well, that wasn't the oddest thing he'd ever seen in his life.

But the final breath was squeezed out of him when she took a seat on his chest.  Damn this woman!  Was she trying to turn him on or something?  Hysaeda grunted and snarled at her, but refused to give her the satisfaction of a struggle as she kept speaking.  He was forced to look at her soon enough and he sneered at her words.  "So, you admit you're weak," he replied back.  "Position or not, your admission is proof enough that perhaps you are not fit for the lifestyle you live; nor for you mark as a soldier!  I don't believe that you could kill me.  You wouldn't have it in you; only a murderer can kill without looking back."

She let him go and dragged him back into his former sitting position somehow and spat more words at him that seemed vaguely threatening.  Hysaeda would not be moved.  Instead he cursed at her in Sevic, the language of his people, words that would not be so pleasant to reiterate their meaning in Common.  He knew that she wouldn't know what he said, but that mattered little.  He now climbed to his feet warily, easily towering her, but still not presenting himself in a hostile manner that needed to be dealt with immediately.  "Well, I'm not here to impress you," he muttered, glaring at her with all the hate he could muster.  She would not hold him if he had anything to say about it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Nearly barking out a laugh at his come back. "Ah. My admitting I'm weak is simply me being honest with my faults. You can't overcome them until you admit them. I'm short. I'm quite weak physically." Adalia rose her hand and looked at the burning metal tips of her fingers, "I can do things you can't." She tweaked an eyebrow upwards before she blew on her hand, the metal tips rapidly cooling. When the man went to cursing in a language she couldn't fathom let alone understand, she bent over slightly and pouted, mocking him. "I'm afraid I can't be properly insulted if I don't know what you're saying."

Then he stood up.

As a natural reaction, Adalia wanted to take a step back. It wasn't that he scared her, but the natural intimidation of someone a good neck and head taller that her was intimidated. Adalia kept her footing though, turning the step back into a change of weight. His height wouldn't make her play nice.  Adalia reached up, her hand going on his chin again, the tips of the gloves pressing into his skin enough to feel, but not enough to cut. "You're not here to impress me, but you should have been cooperating. " She let go roughly and crossed her arms over her chest"You realise, that if you had given me your name and where you're from, you wouldn't be in this position. You could be off on your merry little way slipping down more hills. Unfortunately for you, you've dug yourself a hole."

Adalia looked towards another of the soldiers and then nodded towards the stranger, "Tie that one around his neck. We'll see how he likes being lead around like the dog he is." Adalia sneered up at him, lifting her head before turning away for a moment. She was still set on him being one of the rogues, a kidnapper, a rapist. His calm made her want to assume otherwise, but that would be a bad mistake, the other rogues that had been caught had been playing the innocent game too. The mageknight pressed a hand to the back of her head before she looked at Hysaeda. "You know what? Since you won't tell me your name, I'll give a new one to you."

The soldiers had finished tying the rope around his neck and Adalia grabbed the end of it, playing with the slightly frayed end. "Lets see... Shall we save it for when we're on the trail? We'll be out there for a few days. I'd tell you to gather your things but we've already taken the little girls away." Adalia tossed it towards a solider before leaving for a moment and returning with the horse she'd been riding. "Since I'm not strong enough to pull you." Adalia smiled brightly at the drow-like man and pet the horses neck, a strong gelding. "Atras here will do it. Maybe if you're a good boy we'll let you walk like a real man instead of a dog." The rope was returned and tied around the horses middle, it was long enough for about seven feet between Hysaeda and the horse.

"You screwed up, you didn't cooperate, or give the needed information to prove yourself innocent while you could. Now you're in big trouble, Rogue."

Lion

No, this was not going to be a good day at all, this he could determine as much for himself.  No he wasn't a genius, but nor did he look like a complete idiot either.  Immediately his mind begged his instincts toward fight or flight to hold back for now, for this was neither the time or the place to even think about running away.  Right now, the moment seemed quite inescapable, only in the prospect that he would probably be killed if he tried anything remotely rash around these soldiers.  So he'd have no choice but to abide by these strangers' rules until he stumbled (or was it kicked?) upon a more opportune moment.  But despite Adalia's attempts at intimidation toward the contrary, Hysaeda knew he was quite lucky.  It was better to be captured by these godless heathens and suffer what punishment he might gain through the technicalities of their courts, than to be apprehended by an enemy tribe and possibly made a slave.  These enemies were far more lenient than any of his own breed would be.

So Hysaeda, in a morbid way, looked forward to this; he was determined not to remain captured for long and if he could humiliate this arrogant woman—HELL!—that would be a bonus he could live with.  But his thoughts for future victory were forced away when Adala's voice penetrated his concentration.  She continued to insult him, figuratively of course, but his visage was no less displeased by her actions and outlook.  "You can claim what you want," he said, determined to be unmoved, but her words egged him on.  He set his jaw; he was above taking the bait.  He wasn't ten years old anymore.  Goddammit!  He was old enough to be her great-great-great-great grandfather.  Or so he assumed.  Her blatant lack of respect was starting to get on his nerves.

It was now that he tired of listening to her prattle and tried to think of wayshe might get out of this.  Despite his previous thoughts to remain calm, he wanted to set everyone here on fire.  But he wasn't all that powerful yet.  The art of mysticism was a dangerous one and to use it unwisely would set upon him the wrath of the spirit of Umbra.  Though a dead god he may be, Hysaeda wasn't about to test the thunders.  He'd have to suffer his fate, roped and stressed as he was, just like everybody else.  His patience would pay off in the end and he'd teach his captor a lesson if and when he found the chance.

She grabbed his chin with vehemence and he fumed even more, flaring his nostrils.  She then tossed his head away roughly and he back up as a result of that.  He didn't like the feel of her claw gauntlets.  He was sure they could break the skin, not that Umbraeons didn't have a high pain tolerance, but that didn't make the thought any more pleasant.  "I have a name," he said rather bitterly, saving the venom for when they were more alone.  But it didn't really seem like he had any power right now since he didn't want to give up in the first place.  Maybe when she earned it, he'd tell her his name.  But for now, he'd be gagged and collared as if he was some type of animal.

Soon a rope was knotted firmly around his neck, and a damn good knot it was too.  Hysaeda just glared at her, saying nothing that was worth saying except: "Let's just get this over with.  I have things to do."  And gulped against the rope around his neck.  Yes, this was not a good day at all.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

" I know you have a name, Darling." Adalia purred, inches away from him, looking up at his glare with a smug look on her face. "Unfortuantely, until you give me your name, I'm going to call you something you won't like." She clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth before she grabbed the rope, trailing her fingers along it until getting to the horse putting her foot in a stirrup and looking over her shoulder. "You get to walk. I'm sure you can manage." A smirk and she nudged the horse, stopping momentarily by a superior to inform him that she was taking this prisoner back to Arca. Deal with him herself. Strong magic, claws. It worked out.

Just because he was bigger than her didn't mean he could beat her.

"Come along, Rogue, just like you wished, we're going." And they were off. The first few hours would have been tough, a good few days away from Arca if they were moving quickly, but Adalia was no slave driver so she turned around and watched him quite frequently. The opal haired knight didn't exactly want her Rogue to die. That would be bad. That would get her into trouble. The last thing she wanted was trouble. Adalia kept her hand on the rope to make sure the tension was there so she didn't have to crane her neck around and stare at him. Licking her lips she pressed a hand to her forehead, the sun was going down.

Adalia had let the short journey be silent. Even if he had been talking she wasn't listening. "C'mon Rogue. Have to get camp ready before the sun goes down. I'm not a Drow like you, I can't see in the dark." She cast the man a glance before hopping off the horse and walking him into a clearing, dragging Hysaeda along behind him. Adalia hadn't given her prisoner any breaks, it had been quite a few hours of walking and if he wasn't walking he was getting back up again.

A soft sigh and Adalia took a flask out of her side saddle and walked towards the tall man. "C'mon, sit down, you must be thirsty. That was quite the walk and even if you don't deserve this," Adalia wagged the flask at him, "you're not my slave. And even rapists like you need to survive so we can watch you twitch and flail while you're getting hung. C'mon, tilt your head, I'm not stupid enough to untie you so you'll have to suffer with me hand feeding you. Unless you're stubborn. Then I guess you can go thirsty and starve."

Lion

The least they could do, even if they could not tolerate one another, was to be civil.  Hysaeda wasn't sure how civil this one was actually willing to be.  But he wasn't given much time to think before he was dragged off his neck, the rope somewhat taut and yet he moved so that it was slack.  Though he could travel for miles and miles on end without so much as breathing hard, he could not perform such a feat if he was being strangled along the way.  The knot was not a masterful one, but it was one that was done with excellent skill.  Maybe that one soldier was part Umbraeon.  Hysaeda chuckled to himself, trying to keep his mind occupied away from the current situation.

He did not want to speak to her; this woman infuriated him just by looking at her and so he didn't do that either.  He hated that she called him a rogue and even more so that she wasn't so educated in the various races of the land.  His kind weren't exactly scholars, but they were smart enough to know that it was better to know their enemies than to remain in ignorance, because chances were, something worse would happen to you if you couldn't see it coming.  Taking time to look at his surroundings, he was fairly astounded as to what he had failed to see.  It had been so long since he'd last come here; because he spent most of his life in the south, he'd not seen just how far north the forest stretched from the base of the mountains.  He could faintly hair the rushing of water off in the distance.  That only pressed him further that perhaps he'd need to relieve himself in a few moments.

He soon forgot and didn't feel that need arise again until a few hours later when the sun began to fall behind the horizon.  The soft red glow clamored up into the sky as darkness came over like a shadow falling over the world, and soon the glow was seen no more; nothing more but the ashes of a dying fire.  Yes, his eyes could adjust fairly well to the darkness as all of his kind could.  But he found himself growling slightly at the mention of the word Drow.  He frowned at her and said calmly, "I'm not a Drow.  Those monsters are nothing more than the pigs and spawn of hell.  I am of a different breed and you'd do well to educate yourself a little more, woman."  Hysaeda took his place beside her horse immediately, stroking the animal's hide softly as with his elbow as if unused to the feeling.  And he wasn't; horses were unreliable creatures to him, but they were still majestic all the same.

It was when she tried to entreaty him again that he looked at her with curiosity.  "Would you please stop assuming so much!  Damn, you know nothing about me.  I'm as much a stranger to you as you are to me!  You're just upset that I won't submit to your sanctions.  Besides, I'm not all that hungry or thirsty, but I do have some business I need to take care of.  So if you would just untie my hands that would be nice.  And if that's too much trouble, you can just take down my pants and hold it, because I have to pee with great earnest.  Please, make your decision quickly."  The last words came out like something injecting venom into his tongue.  He didn't like the taste of it.  And he didn't like having to say them to her.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Adalia looked down at her feet and crunched some of the dirt and bits of rock against her feet. Nope, that didn't sound like it. Green eyes slowly looked up the Rogue's chest to his neck, then to his mouth. Well, that was an interesting discovery. Mr.Not-A-Drow Rogue could growl. And wasn't a Drow. Having took a few steps backwards she frowned, watching him, eyes rolling. 'You would do well to educate yourself,' Adalia mocked in her head putting her hands on her hips. "Yeah? On a race that looks like wanna be drow?"Adalia tilted her head, smiling, knowing which buttons to push now. "Well, we'll put that in with the list of things to know. Your name, where you're from and just what the hell you are."

After she'd suggested the water and something to eat, Adalia stepped back with her hands out at his outburst. After he was done and Adalia went pale, she stared up at him, resisted the urge to stare somewhere else. Of course the way he'd said it was lost on her, the suggestion however, "You want me to do what!?" Of course, Adalia was refering to the last option, but she took a moment to 'save' the situation. "Like hell I'm going to untie your hands! Your hands are free, then your neck is free and then I'd probably be –" Adalia cut herself off to purse her lips and glare off to the side before taking a breath and grabbing his sides, the clawed gauntlets still on.

"C'mon. I'm not going to let you relieve yourself in the spot where you have to sleep and I have to stare at you." She'd forcefully steered him to the end of the rope around his neck, tugging on the horse to get them a few more feet away from camp. Adalia took a deep breath and moved behind him. "Okay, Rogue." After removing the gauntlet of her right hand  - Adalia figuered claws on both hands would just be cruel and unusual, - she went about untying his pants. It was at the last moment, when her fingers were just about to reach down that her hand jerked back up. "I can't do this. I'm a woman, you're a man, you sure as hell are not my husband, I have morals, I'll be just a moment." Quickly she replaced her glove and took the dagger out of her belt, cutting the knot out of the rope on his hands.

"I'm going to stand right here, and if you so much as shuffle off to the side you'll have ten burning metal claws dug into your chest, do you understand?" With that, Adalia all but plastered herself to his back, her legs against his, her cheek against his back and the claws of her fingers hovering above his chest, not quite hot yet, but warm, for sure. Adalia was pretty sure she just screwed herself over, but at least she wouldn't have to touch his junk. Eugh. "Way to make the first night awkward, Rogue." Adalia mumbled against his back. Stupid.... People and having four limbs.

Lion

He didn't expect her to act like that!  Hysaeda watched in faint disbelief at how she put it and then attempted to save herself with a reference to the ropes around his wrists.  But he grinned slyly; he knew better.  Actually her sudden reaction made him laugh internally, for he had too much pride and confidence in himself to give away his amusement outwardly.  Instead he raised his brows expectantly and tried to keep the pressure in his bladder at bay for at least a moment longer.  He knew it wasn't good to hold it, but after a long walk with no breaks, what was he going to do.  He certainly wasn't going to soil himself, and let alone, in front of her.  That would be more humiliating that how she paled and nearly said the wrong thing.

A smirk graced him momentarily that disappeared before he would let her see it.  Then his eyes became brooding once more, putting on a face of the utmost seriousness.  He really had to pee.  He said nothing as she moved him away from the camp that she set up and a little ways into darkness.  His eyes changed immediately, absorbing the night.  "You don't have to stare," he said bitterly.  "Though I wouldn't be any less flattered," he added, under his breath.  Just when she was about to untie him...she untied him.  Hysaeda blinked at his hands, stupidly for a moment, then said, "So much for not wanting to release me."  He scoffed.

But her hands were still dangerously close.  While his armor could defend against the damage caused by claws and jaws, he wasn't so sure how it'd fare against magically heated claws.  Just as he got his pants undone, he was starting to sweat a little bit, were they hot already?  He couldn't tell, and he didn't want to find out.  So he went about his business and began to urinate, his bladder screaming a sigh of relief.  Hysaeda leaned his head back a little and sighed too, feeling himself become lighter.  He watched where he was aiming, not minding her at all and doing his best to keep still.

"Awkward? Me? Tch, you're the one being immature.  Now, no peeking and keep your hands where they are.  This isn't a peepshow.  I'm almost done."  And finally he finished and began to put tie his pants back together.  "Finished.  Now what?  You're going to tie my hands again?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

It took a lot of effort not to squeal and shuffle away. She was a solider, damnit! Some man peeing in front of her giving a sigh of relief wasn't going to make her wriggle away and cover her eyes like a sissy girl. Adalia wanted to, oh how she wanted to run away and complain about how gross it was - because, y'know, being a lady Adalia never had to urinate - "Yeah, shut up." Adalia snapped pressing her hands to his chest, a quiet warning.

With her face burried against her back, it occured to her that he could be untying the rope at his neck. The idea of him trying to run away with her clinging to his back didn't fill her with any sort of enjoyment, so right at the word 'peepshow' she craned her neck around, looking at his groin - she quickly went red before glaring up at his neck. Rope was still there, hands were where they were supposed to be and the mageknight got more than an eyeful of something she didn't really want to see.

Adalia didn't give a sorry, and she had her head craned to stare at everything for a good five seconds. The red on her cheeks would be pretty obvious, Adalia was quite fair. Quietly she cleared her throat and bent to the side to pick the rope up off the ground, knowing if she'd kneeled down directly she'd have her face pressed to his behind. Damn him being so tall. "I am not immature. I was raised as a lady, I am a solider out of need, not of want." Adalia grabbed his wrists and pulled them behind his back roughly, pressing the metal tips into his skin while she re-tied the rope.

Rougher than she needed to be, and the ropes a little tight, she went a little overboard with the knot before pulling him along again to the clearing. "I have dried rations that will last for a few days between the two of us. You may be a disgusting heathen,"she eyed him up and down before sneering, "but I still need to take care of you for my own image. So, you will drink, and you will eat and you will not bite my fingers." Adalia moved about the horse, pulling a strip of deer jerky out of sack. "C'mon, sit down, Rogue, you're too tall to shove food into your mouth without me hurting you with my claws." Adalia looked up at him, head tilted to the side, eyebrows up.

Lion

For just a brief moment, he could have sworn he felt a small pressure leave his back.  And for just a brief moment, he figured that was where her head had once been, her cheek pressing against the leather of his armor.  But when he left, he suddenly wondered where it went.  There was a faint shifting to the side, but nothing like a scuffle or the sound of dragging cloth.  Her hands had stayed where they were; or rather, pressed deeper to show she meant business, so there was no change there.  But what was that?  What was she doing back there that was so interesting?

He was just finishing when she abruptly pulled his wrists behind his back again and tied them again.  "Gah! Damn!" he muttered, furrowing his brows in displeasure.  "You don't have to be so fucking rough.  Tch, unless that's the way you like it."  And with that he laughed a little even as he was dragged back to camp, the leash still on his neck.  He continued to gulp against it for it was tough on his skin.  He hoped he wouldn't have to get used to it for the next couple of days.  If he got a welt, he'd have to give her one in return.

He wasn't so sure if taking the food was the best idea.  For all he knew it could have been poisoned; who knew if this woman was trying to trick him, just to make sure his escape never happened.  He didn't and he'd take precautions against anything that threatened his life.  But despite his previous words, he felt his stomach growl and he suddenly took the jerky into his teeth, working his jaws to shove the whole piece into his mouth, chewing at the same time.  But as he chewed he just stared at her, looking at her choice of outfit.  No, there was no way in hell, she was cut out to be a soldier...But her legs, they were—uhh! Wait!  What was that on her face!?

The light around them spread the closer they got to the fire, and he took a glance at Adalia's face, which was pink from what he suspected was flushing.  She was rather fair-skinned and so the details were easy to see...  Then he thought back on the brief moment where the pressure of her head was missing.  His eyes widened in realization and he glanced at her as he forced his bum on the ground.  "So....did you like what you saw?" he said, immensely flattered and partly embarrassed, but only in the fact that moments like these were sweet and rare.  "If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're pale and red all over, an easy tell."  And he smirked again slyly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

"Disgusting pig." Adalia muttered after his comment and he laughed. Stupid bastard. Adalia was a lady. A lady who wanted to show all those stupid men that she could play their game. Regretting it now, Adalia groaned quietly and pulled her hand away when the rogue snagged it and ate it all in one ... chewy bite. "You know, I would have ripped it into piece for you." Then he stared at her while he chewed. Adalia frowned, her lower lip going out, slowly turning around to look behind her. Creepy.

Adalia returned to the pack and pulled a peice for herself, leering at him before taking a bite and ripping a piece off before chewing and staring back. One hand on her hip, her head high, it was then that he sat down and spoke again and Adalia stared in horror before choking on her food. After a few moments of a coughing fit, in which she beat herself on the chest and scratched her neck, she stared at him, fuming. Oh so, very angry.

"How dare you say that to me!" Her voice was an octave higher than normal and she took a moment to breath heavily and calm herself down. He was tied up, he couldn't do anything to her. Besides egg her on and get her very, very angry. Never had she met a man who did that it so wonderfully. A single phrase and she wanted to kick the smirk off his face.  Adalia took another bite of her own jerky and glared at him, cheweing and swallowing her food this time. "And for your information, Rogue, I did not enjoy looking at... at..."Adalia flung her empty hand at him, glaring, cheeks still red. "I didn't even want to see my future husbands let alone some... Strange looking rapists. Take that smirk off your face before I kick it off."

An angry noise left her mouth and she sat close to the horse, taking a bit of the loose rope between his neck and its chest and putting her foot on the ground so she'd have to be moved if he had plans on sneaking off. With her knees tucked to her chest, Adalia carefully removing her gauntlets to place beside her as she chewed on the jerky. Another grumpy huff "Going to tell me your name yet, Rogue? I can keep it up all night. I get to sit on a horse while we move, I don't really need my energy as much as you do." Adalia played with her food for a moment before she spoke to him without turning her head. "I didn't look on purpose. I wanted to make sure you weren't undoing the knot at your neck, I'm sorry if that made you uncomfortable." Adalia took a small piece of jerky and shoved it into her mouth, more than half still in her hand, before stretching her arm out and pointing at him with it. "And you'll never mention it again if you enjoy being able to talk!" Adalia frowned at him before carefully shoving the jerky into his mouth and standing up, dusting off her bottom and moving to get a flask of water from the horse, taking a deep drink before sighing happily and moving to stand beside him. "Are you thirsty yet, Rogue?"

Lion

He furrowed his brows in interested perplexity while she gagged on her food, coughing harshly for several moments before regaining some sense about her.  But it was a while as she suddenly burst out.  He could almost feel the fury in her when he glanced into her eyes.  It was almost as if she wanted to murder him.  Well, even if she did, at least he wouldn't be captured anymore.  There was always a bright side to a situation even if the subject was touchy like death.  But he continued to observe her and suddenly felt himself laughing aloud as a result.  It was a pleasant surprise to know that his captor could make him laugh, even if it was just a little.  Laughter would make the journey to the city much less of a burden on his part.  No he didn't like her anymore at this moment than he did five second before his humor subsided, but it made the situation a little less awkward and a lot more personal.

It was hard not to judge one before he knew them, and though he tried to practice such an ideal, he had extreme difficulty in not seeing this woman as a soft, pale thing.   Humans, if she was as human as she looked, had a tendency to have more weak spots than a house of cards, figuratively speaking.  He heard somewhere that the more one knew about a person, the easier it was to take them apart.  Well, this was one fact that spawned that considered taking advantage of.  It was always good to have the right amount of modesty, but there were also certain points that should just not be crossed.  Her not wanting to even see her own future husbands caused him to frown; so she would never want to have children?  Not even he could consider the subject for himself, but he was not a woman and never thought long on the topic.

Hysaeda readjusted his sitting a little more comfortably and threw his shoulders back to sit up straight.  "Really?  You say you're a woman of morals.  That's admirable.  I can't blame you, but don't you think you take it a little too far?  I have a feeling you'll remember this moment for a very long time.  Maybe even your future husband will be disgruntled with your reactions.  And then, I can't say I would blame him either, for choosing a woman like you as a wife.  I would pity the man."  He spoke solemnly but nodded in all seriousness.

At the next instigation, he sighed and thought for a moment.  He was still smiling a little from the way she'd reacted.  "You are very brave, Adalia.  And for that I think because you will remember what you saw—and you will—you have earned at least my name.  I am Hysaeda, surname unnecessary, I think.   And stop calling me Rogue, or I'll make you eat those words...among other things.  I'm not some petty criminal.  And gimme some of that damn water, if it wouldn't be too much to ask."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

It took a lot of effort not to let her palm smack up onto her forehead. Adalia resisted a groan and put a hand over her mouth, then she glared and held her hands at her side. If she wasn't wearing gloves her knuckles would be white. The flush on her cheeks went a few shades darker and she quickly turned around to take a few deep breaths. "That isn't what I meant. I'm from a good family, I'll probably be married to some gross old man anyway." Adalia kicked a rock against a tree before she turned around, "I'm sure a heathen like you wouldn't have to worry about something like arranged marriages though, would you?" Her voice was bitter before she turned around and unscrewed the flask again, walking towards him to stand over him, eyes slits as she glared.

Maybe she wouldn't feel too bad if he died.

Adalia was quite surprised when he finally gave her his name. Then a dark smirk returned and she put a hand on her hip, holding the flask of water with her hand and the smirk turned into a smile. "Yes, the image of your hand around your penis will forever be burned into my eyeballs, just like all those broken and torn bodies from past battle scenes. Congratulations, you've traumatized me."  Adalia took another drink of water before pushing some of her hair behind her ear, revealing a bit of a point - enough for perhaps a half-breed . "Hysaeda. That's a pretty name. Nicer than Rogue but..." Adalia grabbed his chin and put the flask to his lips, tilting it slightly so Hysaeda could drink without being overwhelmed by a rush of water. "I like Rogue better, and it suits you. We'll pretend it's a nickname, hmm, Hysaeda?"

After a few moments of slowly giving him water so he didn't choke she capped the flask and sat down behind him, knees draw up again. The horse, deciding it was bed time, decided to lay down behind them. Adalia took this as an indicator he wanted to be used as a pillow. "Get some sleep Rogue. You'll need it." Adalia kept her eyes open, watching the fire, her fingers reaching out flicking, feeding it, making it slightly bigger before the hand returned to her lap. "I know it's early, and I know you're probably pissed. If you weren't such an asshole I'd probably believe your story. Unfortunately, you are and I don't. Sweet dreams." Adalia reached up and over and pat the top of his head.

Lion

He thought about what she said for a while.  "As a matter of fact I don't have to think about arranged marriages.  Most marriages that I know of are done of free will.  Some don't even get married at all.  It's not a necessity, where I'm from..."  He paused for a moment, thinking about his words carefully.  "Don't you think you deserve to choose your own husband, a young one preferably?"

He watched the flask expectantly, licking his lips and hearing little of what she said.  Damn his throat was dry, feeling a little like dry ashes in the middle of a desert storm.  If only he had his gear with him and maybe a little extra length on his rope, he could forage for water, or make a calabash of some liquor his father had taught him how to make in times of need.  He didn't think Adalia would be much of a drinker, and neither was he, but there were times when a good drink went a long way.  And perhaps he was listening subconsciously as he felt himself reply, "It means star runner.  I prefer my real name to anything else.  But...well, whatever."

The time to drink came a little forced that he nearly breathed in the water that tumbled down his throat.  It was cool and a little bit spilled from the side of his mouth.  He didn't like not being able to fend for himself.  He severely disliked being helpless like he was, having to rely on some woman to provide for him.  Such an idea was not meant in a sexist fashion, for even the women in Umbraeon society were expected to be able to take care of themselves.  Everyone had to work for what they needed; there was no gender-biased exception to that.  If one was not capable, they would generally not be awarded a position of prestige.

He licked his lips as his thirst was finally quenched.  He rolled his eyes and shook his head.  "I'm not a dog...but you sure know how to treat me like one."  The horse had laid down along with Adalia to get some sleep, but the hunter was beyond sleep right now.  In fact he was quite restless and he breathed heavily.  I need to calm down, he thought to himself.  Hm, maybe I can keep her up.  It was worth a shot.  "Hey, woman!  Adalia...so why aren't you married anyway?"  If he could keep her up, maybe she'd be too groggy to watch him in the morning.  That would be a great time to make his escape then.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Anonymous

Did this man ever not talk? He didn't speak on the road, maybe this was him getting it out all at once so he wouldn't have to speak while they walked tomorrow. Correction. While he walked.  "Star runner, hmm? That's pretty. Mine doesn't mean anything." Giving a nod she turned her head towards him and stared while he kept talking. Staring, eyes half closed. An annoyed noise left her throat and she kicked at his leg with the side of her foot. "Shut up. I'll stop treating you like a dog once you stop acting like one, Hysaeda." she spat his name out like it was something funny tasting in her mouth.

Then he started talking some more. Adalia wasn't tired per say, she just didn't want to put up with him anymore and his strange questions. The mageknight sat up fully and pressed his fingers to her eyes before giving a rather loud sigh and staring at him, one leg drawn up so her arm could rest on it. "I'm not married yet because I'm serving as a knight. If I chose my own I'd probably be disowned and have to live somewhere besides my home, and I'm not adventurous enough to do that." A deep frown was on her usually bored expression, "I don't recall you being a woman, Rogue"

A pointed look towards his groin and back up to his face, a slim pale eyebrow raised as she pressed a hand to her face to rest her head on it. "Why so interested in me, hmm? Going to try to pull a fast one?" Adalia looked upwards, pursing her lips, "Lets see, what else is there to know about me... I'm a virgin, make sure you remember that one," Adalia used her free hand to hold out a finger, "I'm quite talented at hydro and aero magics, that's good to remember too. I can heat those metal claws up hot enough to leave very bad burns." She lifted her head and pulled one of her gloves off, showing off a bad burn over the top of her left hand, "But, I managed to help someone." A small shrug before she placed the glove back and began to think of all the other things again. "I'm an only child. And yes, I do want children one day." Adalia smiled at Hysaeda, reached over and pat him on the head again.

"Now, is that all you want to know Rogue or are you going to annoy me with more idle chatter? You forget, you're the one who's walking with a rope around their neck." A smile, and a cute wink before she fluttered her eyes and rested her head on her hand again, her elbow against her knee, watching him.

Lion

She mocked his name, but it wasn't the first time.  In fact the action made him smile just a little and he cocked his head to the side before shaking it from the old memories of successfully outrunning the persecutor of his childhood days: Radek.  He certainly didn't want to think of that bastard right now.  He had worse things to worry about than some old enemy.  He'd almost forgotten that she was behind him for a moment and he almost went back to his younger days.  But even for his kind, he was still young.

He was forced to roll his eyes again after he found himself jumping when she pulled his hand back and his fingers were pressed against something that felt like an eye socket and a round organ that he recognized as an eye.  Geez, this woman was an odd one.  But he didn't question it nor think on it further, for she was starting to answer his question and give him even more information than he deemed necessary.  But he listened anyway and nodded at the right intervals to show her that he was.  "A virgin, huh?"  Now, why would she choose that specific detail to tell him first, and say it with such gusto?  Not that he didn't think it was hard to believe.  She was overbearingly modest, or had too many morals if he had an opinion to say about it.  "Look, don't get any funny ideas.  My interest is purely philosophical.  I wouldn't rape you if you were the last woman in the world."  He hoped she wouldn't take that as an insult; oh wait, that's right, he didn't give a shit.

"You seem to have some pretty nifty tricks up your sleeve...or rather on the end of your gauntlets...or, whatever.  Hm, don't think I'm defenseless just because I've got my hands tied up and I have this rope around my neck.  If I really wanted to, I could set your hair on fire or command the wind to lacerate your throat.  But I'm not so cruel.  I'm a hunter by trade and by wisdom; I have enough respect for life unlike what you think I have.  Keep your fears to yourself and we might even be friends, Adalia.  You wouldn't want me as an enemy."  He said all this as he glared into the fire, placing all his emotion into the void of his concentration.  It sucked down into the pit of his stomach, suddenly making beads of sweat drip down the end of his brow and making his hair moist from the heat that was rising from the fire.  He had seen how she played with the tips of it, to keep it from dying out.  But he stared harder until the flames suddenly leapt up in an inferno that nearly touched the trees.  Then the fire leapt out at them like a monster emerging from a portal from hell and one could almost see a demonic face inside it.  The fire threatened to consume them all if he hadn't, within the next second quieted the flame and set the fire down to rest as it were before.

"Get some sleep.  You might even need it more than I would."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn