Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Can this be fixed?

Started by Anonymous, January 24, 2010, 05:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

There's a part of the forum on top that shows the newest posts.

It says e.g:
Newest Posts

In Count to a Thousand! by:XpHyRe
In Last Letter First! by:Paragon
In Only Questions? by:Hachen
In The band game! by:Rhi-Rhi
In The Wish Game by:CodeKitsune

Now, what's wrong is that in this case, the by is sometimes neither the thread starter nor the person that has posted last. This is very confusing. Keep in mind that in the Teal "by" the person is neither the last one who posted nor the thread starter.

Count to a thousand was made by Talyafera,
Last letter First by Paragon(in this case the by is the thread starter in newest posts), Only Questions? by Countess, the band game by Rhi-Rhi (also thread starter in by in newest post), and The Wish Game by Silver Hawke.

Anonymous

I think what it's suppose to do is grab the thread and the first poster in that thread. The random person in the 'by:' part could be the first poster in that thread after the Newest Posts updater was setup.

EDIT: I realized that I didn't exactly offer any help. xD

Since I'm not exactly sure about how the posts are stored, the start of a thread may not have any special code to flag it as such. If that's the case...well...I don't think code could be made to tell the difference on older threads. x3

If there is some sort of special marker on the first post, then that makes it all the easier. Finding what that special flag is, though, would be a trick in itself. <__<

I think that it'd be more effort than it's worth just for a few threads to be effected since there aren't that many older threads still active. ^.^

I'm going off guesswork, though, so it may be a simple matter to correct...but...yeah.

Anonymous

uuuh... I didn't understand anything you said...
But that doesn't matter, perhaps the admins know what to do xD

Anonymous

Well, it snags just any old name and isn't that big of a deal.

The point of the 'newest post' is to show that there is indeed a new post. Doesn't technically matter by whom, and from what I know, this can't be fixed and is a bit of a bug.

I fail to see how this disrupts anything, because clicking on 'View Active Topics' does the same thing with the correctly updated 'by: so-and-so".

All in all, the 'newest post' does what it's supposed to do. Show the most recently updated thread.

Anonymous

Can't be fixed? that's a shame.. I'm sure more people are bugged by it, simply because it doesn't make sense

Anonymous

No.

You're going to have to suck it up and live with it.

Rhindeer

Yeah, it's a bug. I'm not sure how to fix it. xD;;
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa