Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Just a Cup of Tea....((Open!))

Started by Anonymous, March 21, 2010, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Beautiful white snowflakes drifting down slowly, covering the ground and making everything sparkle...trees swaying gently in the wind...as for the weather..

IT. WAS. COLD.

Abigail had gone outside to veiw the beautiful scene from a new perspective, but was beginning to regret her desision. The snow seemed much less peaceful when it was getting in your shoes and freezing your toes. It was fun at first! She had made a snow-man, and shook branches to make the snow fall down, sparking like stardust. The icy breeze seemed to be going through her jacket, making her shiver. It had felt good before, before the wind had picked up and started driving snow into her face. She couldn't feel her hands. She wished she had told somebody that she was going outside! Her father would be angry for sure...tears of frustration ran down her face.

Through the now blinding snow, she stumbled in the direction she thought home was. The wind had swept away her tracks. Where was home? She hoped she would find home quickly. Her hands and feet were numb. Rather suddenly, she spotted a figure nearby. She called out to them, desperate to go inside. They were most likely a servant of her house, after all.  And who in the world would try to hurt her? It just wouldn't make sense!

"Excuse me! Sir! Can you hear me?"

The figure turned, and came to her quickly. She had never seen him before, but they were dressed like a servant, so she didn't think twice about it. She looked up at the man. He smiled down at her. He looked surprised. "You shouldn't be out here in this blizzard. Come with me, I will take you back home." He took her hand, guiding her back to the house. Her teeth were chattering, and she wasn't in great shape.

As she entered the house, the warm air inside felt wonderful.  The servant who had found her outside hurried off to get her some tea after guiding her to a fireplace to warm up. As she sat in front of the fire, she winced slightly at the prickling sensation of feeling coming back to her hands and feet. She waited eagerly for the warm cup of tea she would be drinking.

The man grinned. It had almost been too easy. He had not expected his target to be wandering outside in the cold, waiting for help. Good thing she hadn't told anyone where she was going. That would have made things more difficult. Now that everyone was searching for her outside in the blizzard, nobody would find him here, or question him. Even if they did come, they would not question a servant making tea.  As he carried the tea to where Abigail was sitting, he slipped a substance into the tea, and it dissolved instantly. Ah, the wonders of poison.

Nobody would suspect the cause of death to be a simple cup of tea!

Abigail looked up as a gloved hand tapped her on the shoulder, and quickly took the cup of tea that was offered. She smelled the scent coming from it. It smelled wonderful! But, she swore something was a tad bit....off about the smell of it. She loved drinking tea, and could usually tell what sort of tea it was just by how it smelled. She looked up at the servant that gave her the tea. "Excuse me, but this tea seems rather....odd. What type of tea is it?"

She swore his smile faltered a little when she questioned the type of tea. "It is a new type of tea, imported from far away. You should try it." Abigail shrugged, not questioning him. She heard the outside door open, and people shouting about something. She heard her name among the shouting, and stood up. "I do wonder what all the commotion is about!" She started walking towards the door to the room.

The man watched Abigail carefully as she took the cup of tea he offered. He smiled, keeping up with the servant act. He almost scowled when she didn't take a sip of it right away, questioning the sort of tea it was. 'Just get along with drinking it. I don't have all day. He made up some random excuse about it being foreign and that she should drink it.

Suddenly, the search party came back. He cursed, too quiet to hear. Not good! He watched with alarm as she decided to go investigate, walking to the door. He hurried after her, stepping in her way. They were right next to another door, which was cracked open. Because this was the way he got in, he knew it led to the Meeting Place. Abigail looked up at him, confused, taking a small step backward. "What are you doing?", She asked. He glanced at the room's entrance in alarm, as footsteps were coming this way down the hall.

The man didn't know what to do. He couldn't allow them to discover him in here, with the poisoned tea. They knew his face, and it would be quite suspicious for both the tea and him to be in the same room together with the girl. They could put two and two together, and he would be in huge trouble. He knew he needed to do something with the girl; something so she wouldn't be seen and the tea wouldn't be seen. The tea in her hand was the only cup in the room; the poison would take effect in that cup, so he hadn't needed more.

He heard the doorknob turning, and did the only thing that he could think of. He shoved Abigail through the open door, not knowing where it led. Both the tea and her would be gone, and he wouldn't be discovered. Hopefully. He didn't have time to go after her through the door. He closed it just as the people entered. The man faced the other way, pretending to search for someone or something. Someone shouted to him, "Have you seen Abigail?" He shook his head, and said, "No." The people continued along, and he smiled. He went over to the door, and tried to open it, but he found it was locked.  Crap. He snuck out of the house when nobody was looking.

Oh well. She'll die anyway...and nobody will find her. Nobody will suspect she's there.

Abigail was confused when the man had stepped in front of her. She had just begun to be suspicious of him when he shoved her through a door, leaving her completely shocked. She sailed down and hit...grass? She looked down at the ground below her, and at the door. Or...lack thereof. Her mouth dropped open. What? Where was she? What just happened?

She looked down at the tea. She had dropped it when she fell. It spilled all over the ground nearby.  Standing up, she looked at the ground in distaste. Ew. Dirt. She brushed herself off. Then, she realized she had no way of going back now. She felt a bit afraid. Abigail realized that she had no survival skills, having never lived anywhere but the house she had just been taken from.  She left the spilled tea and began cautiously walking around, exploring a little.

After a little while, she sat down. She hadn't found any people. Or anything interesting, for that matter. She was frustrated. Right then, she realized how lost she really was and started crying tears of frustration again. She had just wanted to go out in the snow. She had just wanted a cup of tea. She had just wanted to have fun, and look what happened now. It wasn't fair. Was there even anyone here to help her?
'Probably not.', she thought. She cried...

Because it was the only thing she knew to do.

Anonymous

Esharla sat on a crumbling wall, kicking her feet and glaring at people who walked by. It was a lazy morning, just like any other. It seemed that her friends hadn't bothered to get out of bed yet, so it was just her and the wall. Fucking great. She sighed and jumped to her feet to pace up and down the top of the wall again, when she saw something that made her green eyes narrow. What were they doing here? This wasn't their turf! She was going to run, to go and get her gang together to challenge these intruders, and then they spotted her.

She couldn't run now. That would get her a reputation as a coward, which was almost as bad as being a snitch. She wouldn't win, but she had to fight anyway. She marched up, yelling as she went. "What the hell do you think you're doing here? Get your guys back to the Twisties where you belong or the whole Wall gang's gonna come and kick all of your sorry asses!"

She threw the first punch, and it connected, so she was satisfied by that. She was pretty pleased how long she stayed up, too, considering it was one on nine. Still, with odds like that it wasn't gonna take long, and it wasn't gonna be pretty. When the brief flurry of violence ended, the other gang stood in a circle around Esh. "So, uh..." ventured the youngest, a girl. "What do we do now?"

A boy piped up. "Hey, didn't we come here to check out that rumour about that hole in the city wall? Y'know, the one they say you can't see from outside?"

"Hey, yeah!" laughed the biggest. "Man, you have the best ideas."

They picked up her unconscious body and carried her through narrow streets until they reached the city's outer wall. In this part of the city, it was covered in crude paintings left by Esh's gang and, sure enough, there was a hole in it. The group decided quickly that yes, this was the hole and no, they couldn't be bothered clambering over the wall to check the other part of the story. They lifted her, swung her – one, two, three – and let go. She sailed through the air, and through the hole...

She disappeared.

Esh squinted in the light as she woke up. She dabbed at her bleeding lip and winced. "Fuck them, man," she muttered to herself. "They're getting their asses kicked to the fucking moon when the guys hear about this."

Then she blinked. She sat up carefully and just... Looked around. Green everywhere, trees, not a grain of sand to be seen. This... This wasn't the desert. She didn't know where she was. She tried to focus on the block of enchanted granite she kept in her room as the anchor for her power, but it wasn't there. Wherever she was, it wasn't even on the same continent as Essyrn. "What the fuck?!" she shouted.

All right. There was no point panicking. She was tough, she could survive here. She'd just punch some deer or something for food, and everything would be fine. Shakily, she got to her feet. She hobbled a few steps before making herself walk normally. She strode boldly through the trees, not even seeming worried that she didn't see anything that looked like civilisation, but stopped when she reached the edge of the wood. There was a person in the meadow.

She hung back, eyeing up the new person. It was a girl, and she was crying. From her dress, she looked rich. Esh grinned. She knew what to do with helpless rich people, at least. She sauntered up to the girl and squatted down beside her. "Hey! Hey, you!" she hissed. "You got any money on ya?"

Anonymous

Abigail really wished she would be able to stop crying about her situation. It was so bad! She didn't know how to get home, or get food, or even find anyone to help her! She wished desprately for someone to find her. Anyone....somebody to help....

"Hey! Hey, you! Got any money on ya?"

She jumped at the voice. She had just wished for someone to come rescue her from this dreadful situation, someone to help. But, as she glanced up with wide, blue eyes still full of tears, this other girl was definately not who she was looking for. After all, she was demanding money. Plus, she looked frightening and like she would just take what she wanted, even if she said 'no'. Abigail sniffed, frowning. "I have no money with me." She slid away slowly from this girl, looking a bit suspicious.

So, she weighed her options. She figured this girl was the only person for a long way, considering she hadn't seen anyone else around, or any pathways leading around. However, she hadn't exactly been looking, either. That didn't concern her much. Plus, this girl wanted money, something she happened to have a lot of. Not that she was willing to give away any, but it seemed like one of the only options she had. Perhaps she could offer money to this girl in exchange for help to get out of this dreadful place! Yes! That made sense! And if the girl tried to hurt her, she would just tell her father and he would take care of it, because he took care of everything. She didn't realize how naiive that sounded, but it was mostly because she was so spoiled. So, now to put her plan into action...

She straighted up, pulling herself together and wiping the tears off her face. She tried to look dignified, a difficult thing to do if you were just sobbing about being lost. She said in a polite manner, "I see that you want money. I'm afraid that I happen to be lost, with no way of getting back home without assistance. I have money at home. Perhaps we can arrange a deal...?" She stood up slowly from where she was sitting in the grass. "I will most certainly give you money, how much we can discuss later, if you help me out of this distasteful situation and lead me back home. Do we have a deal?" She looked into her eyes, tilting her head a bit to the side questioningly. Those lessons on persuasion her father made her take had helped with something...

In her mind, she was throwing a terrible fit. If she wasn't trying to be polite and persuaisive, she would be crying, yelling for help, complaining about how her dress got dirty, and a number of other things. If she knew curses, she would have yelled them. But, she was not throwing this fit....because she knew, if she did, that this other girl would probabaly beat her up or something. She felt a certain dislike for this girl already. She disliked criminals and people that took advantage of others. It made her feel unsafe and made her wish that they would just leave everyone alone and argue amoung themselves. She had always had a certain dislike for criminals and poor people. Abigail had a feeling they would not get along very well, but at least she would get back home and she wouldn't be bothered by this girl for money again. Or, so she thought.

Anonymous

That girl was crying hard. Esh didn't know why, certainly didn't care. All it meant was that she was already in a bad spot and would probably be pretty easy to intimidate. Not, it turned out, that she needed to be. In fact, she seemed almost eager to give Esh money. This struck her as suspicious – the girl was probably planning to just disappear into her house when they arrived, with no sign of the promised money. Ah, well. If Esh knew where she lived, she could just come harass her 'til she coughed up. She wasn't quite sure if that tactic would work on proper rich people, with servants and everything, but it had always worked on her usual targets.

So it was worth a try.

She stood up too, grinning. "Hey, that's great, kid! You know what's what, I like that." She threw her arm around the other girl's shoulders in a feigned display of friendliness and gave her a squeeze. "So where you live? I don't see no houses 'round here and you said you was lost, so it's gotta be far, right?"

She kind of hoped it wasn't. She didn't deal well with girls like this, the helpless kind that just cried or stood around being pretty. They were brats, the lot of them, and they set her teeth on edge. They didn't know her, but they were always judging. They didn't know shit about shit. Still, she'd have to play nice if she was gonna get the loot, act friendly. She could give it a go, at least. She wasn't so bad, was she?

She didn't think so.

Anonymous

Aranthi had been walking along one of her paths when she heard a thud, which was quickly followed by the sounds of someone's sadness. How odd.. she thought. It wasn't unusual for Aranthi to run into nomads, but it had been quite a long time since she had encountered anyone in The Meeting Place, although she was fine with that. This place was her home, and she was more than willing to help people out of it. She knew well, of course, the stories that there were various portals which led to this sacred grove, and though she had sought out the portals leading from it to the other worlds, she had only ever found one, which was absurdly difficult to come by.

Looking around, and listening to the sobbing, she determined the relative location of the sad one. The child, for it sounded as such, was a good distance from her. Aranthi was therefore confident that now was as good as any time to kneel in prayer. And so she did. She began offering up desires to the Goddess to help this creature who was lost in the wood, and after several moments received an impression that she 'ought to do nothing more than observe. She thanked the Goddess for Her response, for the beautiful day, and stood. She sighed, and lightly brushed her bangs out of her eyes.

She began moving towards the sobbing, which had finally ceased, and deftly stepped over twigs until she was a number of paces from the child's location. Nimbly, Aranthi climbed up the low branches of a pine and sat quietly on one of it's thicker limbs. She thanked it for the concealment it provided her, and went to the work of the Goddess: observing.

Having a visual of the sad one, she took notice of how well dressed she was. In complete contrast to her, Aranthi saw how a second had joined the sad one, and had an air of trickery to her, and seemed to the elf rather like a vagabond. Sitting out of earshot, Aranthi wondered when the Goddess would allow her to make herself known to the couple, who seemed to have struck up some kind of partnership.

Anonymous

Abigail twitched when the girl put her arm around her. Well, it was better than a punch, but at the same time, she wasn't really used to random people who she just met doing so. She shifted her glance to Esh. "Thanks..?" She kind of sighed at the mention of home. Ugh, home...why couldn't she be there instead of this dreadful place, filled with foresty things and a random girl who she didn't even know, and who was probabaly in the same boat as her with the whole 'lost' thing? The thought almost brought tears to her eyes again. A nice, warm, big house and her dad to protect her from bad things....

She almost didn't hear the question. "Oh...where do I live? It's rather far from here..." She looked thoughtful for a moment. "Well, my home is in Serendipity...near Arca." She wondered where this girl came from. She probabaly wasn't from around here, as this place, as she said, 'Had no houses.' She scanned the trees with her eyes, then looked at her again. "May I ask where you are from? I'm just curious, because this place is a forest and I don't see any houses either..." She did not notice the figure in the trees..

Anonymous

Esh had this weird feeling, like she got when her gang was out of their patch, just before they got jumped. Like she was being watched. Still, she could probably just chalk it up to being on edge, just nerves from being out of her territory. Yeah, that was it. But she was tough, she could take anything on and come out the other side. So get over it, Esh!

Serendipity... That was that big magic country far in the north. Esh might have been just a street brat, but she knew a few things. The guide company had taught her some geography in preparation for her working with them. Joke was on them, they taught her all that for nothing... Well, not for nothing. It was pretty useful now, she had to admit, just for letting her know how completely boned they were. Serendipity and Essyrn were on the same land mass, which meant neither of them were anywhere near home. They both had at least an ocean to cross, and that was the best case scenario.

Well, shit.

"Well, yeah, the thing is... Y'see..." Esh grinned awkwardly and rubbed the back of her neck with her free hand. "I'm from Essyrn. For gettin' home... We're about as fucked as each other, I reckon."

Anonymous

She cocked her head to the side, Obviously transported here through the portals... she thought, noticing their accents and the words she didn't recognize that the second of the pair spoke.

Aranthi made a clicking noise with her tongue and watched a squirrel scramble down a branch toward her. It stopped short, and then hopped onto her knee. She pet the squirrel gently and moved her lips close to the side of it's head. It squeaked excitedly and hopped up and down a few times. Aranthi smiled at it, pet it softly on it's head and watched it climb quickly down the trunk to the ground. From there it bounded towards the pair, stopping a few paces from them. It looked up at them, curiosity evident in how it seemed to want to continue forward, caution keeping it back.

Anonymous

Aranthi felt an odd tug on her spirit, but knew instantly that it was the Goddess pulling her from the foreigners. She felt guilty about leaving the squirrel there, but felt it wouldn't come to harm. She crawled up a thick branch and when it met a branch from a neighbour-tree, she deftly landed on it and continued until she was well away from the duo.

She finally slid down the trunk of a tree and landed in the grass at it's base. The tugging grew more powerful until she found herself standing at the edge of a quite pool of water. The surface was calm and blue... She looked up, and noticed the sky was completely obscured by the green of foliage. She glanced down to the water, although her head was still tilted towards the sky.
Blue surface... green sky, she thought.
The tugging became nearly intolerable, at last she felt nothing else but that she needed to obey. Before she knew it, she was already waist-deep in the pool. She saw something in it's depths, something white, and she reached for it.

To any observers, it would have seemed that the elf had simply dived into the water in front of her.. And failed to resurface. In fact, however, she had found one of those portals.