Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Now how did I get here? (OPEN)

Started by Anonymous, July 28, 2010, 09:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

On the side of one of the many roads leading into Ketra, was sitting something quite unusual.

Or laying, rather.

The tanned woman was sprawled out in the soft grasses alongside the path, her body covered only by the black sash and her own white and black hair.  Strangely, her hair and sash moved about as if blown around by a gentle breeze, yet the midday air was still, the grasses unruffled.  She shifted from her back onto her side, still apparently asleep, with a single sigh escaping her dark lips as she moved.

How long had she been there, partially hidden from the path by the long grasses?  Who could tell.

((OOC:  Really want to get this thread going quickly.  Open to anyone.))

Anonymous

City border patrol in the height of summer wasn't Tayr's favourite assignment, but it was quiet and gave her time to think, so she wasn't going to complain. In this heat, though, wearing even minimal armour was unbearable. She rolled her shoulders and pulled at the top of her breastplate with a thumb to let some air in. It didn't help much. On such a lazy day, even the wind was sleeping.

She took a swig of water to stave off thirst and continued strolling along the peaceful little road, glaive resting on her shoulder as she walked. This was the most routine and boring of routine, boring jobs and she seemed almost oblivious to the world, but she took even this mundane task seriously. The merest glimpse of movement in the grass, a tiny flash of black and white that was probably just a magpie, and she was duty-bound to investigate. She waded through tall, thick weeds to see what it was.

A strange woman, sleeping in the grass. She had a very odd look about her that wasn't quite human, so it was best to be cautious, but she'd still have to be moved for her own safety if nothing else. It wasn't a good idea to lay out here all alone, and she was lucky that somebody worse hadn't got to her first. Unless they had.

Whatever it was, she'd simply have to move. "Oi," Tayr said loudly, then reached out to very gently poke the woman's shoulder with the butt of her weapon. "Oi, wake up."

Anonymous

No response to Tayr's voice, though being poked definitely provoked a response.

The woman lashed out, seizing the end of the glaive and yanking it out of the stranger's grasp.  Or...at least that was what she tried to do.  What she achieved was a quiet little moan, and waving one hand at the glaive poking her.  Confused, she opened her eyes, blinking against the bright midday sun.  A look of frustration flitted across her features, but quickly changed to confusion.  Nothing looked familiar here.

Sitting up, the woman got to her feet, and floated a few inches off the ground, her hair and scarf flowing about her.  Glancing about her, she turned a wide eyed look on Tayr.  "What is this place?  How did I get here?"  Who am I?  She glanced around her again, as if expecting answers to just leap out of the weeds.

Anonymous

Tayr pulled her weapon back out of reach and held it upright beside her, planted solidly on the ground. With a waking reaction like that, this woman was incredibly lucky that nobody else had come along first. She could have been murdered in her sleep! The odd wind said there was magic at play here, but that was no guarantee of safety.

The woman was even stranger than she'd seemed at first glance, now visibly floating. For a second, Tayr thought she might just be standing on a little bump of higher ground, but no, there were a clear couple of inches of air definitely between the woman's feet and the tips of the grass. She considered commenting on this, but there was such a thing as tact. The poor thing seemed so confused already, and there was no point in adding to it.

She shrugged, shaking her head. "You tell me, love. Yer just outside Ketra, though. Shouldn't sleep in funny places like this, no tellin' who might come along." Her expression softened. "Want me to take ya into the city, find an inn?"

Anonymous

She blinked her blank silver eyes, turning that wide eyed look on Tayr again.  "Ketra?"  One hand came up, tracing along the lower edge of her horns in a manner suggesting the gesture was one frequently used.  She dropped her hand, brushing her fingertips against her leg.  How long had she been here?  Why was she here?

Her attention returned to Tayr.  "An inn?  Yes.  I think...maybe I was going to ...Ketra?"  

((OOC: sorry for the shortness))

Anonymous

((No problem, it's fine ^^))

Tayr shrugged again. "Can't see why else you'd be here. Come on, then. It's this way." She stepped back onto the path and nodded in the general direction of the city. She could easily leave the woman at the gates and get on with her patrol, but it didn't seem like the best idea. The poor dear didn't seem quite with it, and Tayr wouldn't feel right just leaving her to fend for herself.

Settling into an easy pace, she turned back to the strange woman and smiled gently. "So, you got a name, love?"

Anonymous

Drifting along behind Tayr, the woman kept looking all around her, searching for something familiar, something to jog her memory.  She found nothing, not a thing that seemed at all recognizable.  She let out a small sigh, wrapping her arms around herself.  The sash flowed around her, and she stared at the dark fabric for a moment, realizing that it at least felt familiar.  

"My name is Svaela."  The name came so easily, she actually smiled, happy for having remembered it.

Anonymous

Tayr nodded. At least the woman had a name, even if she seemed to have no idea about anything else. She seemed distracted, and quite confused, and she might well have taken a nasty bump to the head. Or something. "Nice to know, lass. I'm Tayr," she said with another kind smile.

"Ey, and look where we are already," she commented as Ketra came into view a short way ahead of them. There were a lot fewer people than normal milling around, probably because they were all inside to get out of the sun. It was probably a good thing; she didn't suppose the bewildered Svaela would be much good with a crowd, especially if they got separated.

"Right," she stated, thinking out loud. "We'll find a room, get you settled in, show you round a bit if you want so's you knows whereabouts you are. How's that sound?"

Anonymous

Drifting along behind Tayr, Svaela stopped glancing about at her surroundings, focusing sharply on Tayr.  The woman seemed familiar to her.  Or ...She paused, closing her eyes briefly, trying to piece together fragments of memories.  The sounds of people going about their business pulled the woman out of her thoughts, and she looked around, her gaze sliding over the few individuals outside.  Nothing jumped out at her as recognizable.  

Picking up her pace, she moved up beside Tayr, rather than lagging along behind the taller woman.  "I think...I was on my way here, or somewhere, maybe I was just stopping here..."  She sighed, reaching up again to brush her fingers against her horns.  "I was doing something important."  Svaela nodded, sure of that detail at least.  "But I don't know what."

Glancing to the side at Tayr, she nodded, content to follow the woman's suggestions.  "Yes.  Maybe someone in town will recognize me."

Anonymous

Tayr patted Svaela once, briefly, on the shoulder. It was, surprisingly, quite normal. She didn't know what else she was expecting, but this woman was strange in a lot of other ways. "We'll work it out. Jus' keep an eye out, love, and if y'see anyone y'know, gimme a shout."

As they entered the city, they passed another soldier on city patrol heading the other way, and Tayr greeted him silently with a raised hand and a nod before getting back to business. She looked over at the woman every so often, to see if she seemed any less lost. So far there didn't seem to be any progress, but hopefully she'd improve some by the time they reached the inn. It wasn't too far inside the city, so that travellers could find it easily, but it would be a couple of minutes' walk, long enough maybe for something to jog a memory.

Tayr hoped so. She'd feel awful if she had to leave Svaela in the city without even a clue as to why she was there.

Anonymous

She blinked, then smiled gratefully as Tayr patted her shoulder.  "Thank you, for helping."  She nodded, then fell silent again, her attention once more on her surroundings.

As they passed by shops and homes, Svaela paid close attention to the details, trying to find something familiar.  Nothing jumped out at her, nor did anyone seem to recognize her.  In fact some of the looks she received prompted the comment, "I am strange to these people."  She glanced back over at Tayr, feeling lost.  "No one here has ever seen me, or anyone like me, have they?"

Anonymous

Tayr just smiled at Svaela's thanks. Looking after people was just something she did. It was as natural as breathing and while it was nice to be thanked sometimes, she didn't need it.

"Take it you don't know any of 'em then. Shame." She scanned the faces of passers-by. The looks were quite telling; inquisitive, puzzled, but not hostile. Ketra, at least, was not a town where people feared the unknown. "We do get some odd sorts round here from time to time but it ain't ordinary, so they'll look. Don't mind 'em though, love, they don't mean no harm by it."

Anonymous

Izami sighed at the heat. Really, why was she looking in such a place for Nai? There was no luck in her hometown, but then again she could have spent months in there looking for him when he was right under her nose in that city. There were too many people and too many magic users to even scout him out. The kid lived in an arctic climate for the first years of his life! He would just hate this weather. Well, then again, it would be the perfect place to hide - seeing as nobody would think to look for him here. However, here she was.

... Why would that boy hide? He seemed to hate her so. So why was she in this cursed hot climate?

Izami shook her head and sighed again. Goodness, whatever shall she do? Oh well, it was too late to turn back and she was low on supplies. Might as well stay the night and stock up on supplies.

As the walked towards an inn, she saw quite the unusual sight - a woman wearing naught but a black cloth as it floated around her, as well as her hair. Might as well find some amusement.

Anonymous

She nodded at Tayr.  "Perhaps no one here knows me."  Looking around, she spotted another girl with white hair and eyes like hers.  She drifted away from Tayr a little, tilting her head to one side as she inspected the woman, still following Tayr, albeit at a distance now.

((Sorry about the absence, and the shortness))

Anonymous

There was the inn, and it thankfully didn't look overly full. She very much doubted that Svaela had any money on her, considering how utterly confused she was. Besides, where in that outfit would she even keep a purse? It wasn't what Tayr had planned to do with her wages, but she could probably afford to pay for the woman for a night or two, and depending on who was working the inn today she could even call in a favour. It'd be all right.

"Would be a shame, pet." She turned to Svaela, but found her gazing off into space. Following her line of sight, there was another white-haired girl who was looking right back. It could have just been that the other girl was surprised to see someone with similar hair here in Adela, where it was rare, but she supposed she couldn't rule out a connection between them.

"Ay, she does look a touch like you," she commented with a slight smile. "Inn's here, love. I'll just pop inside, see about gettin' ya a room. Go have a chat, I'll be back out afore y'know it." With that, she strode off into the inn, flipping her glaive upside down as she entered. It was unlucky to have a weapon readied in a drinking establishment; many a bar fight started that way. She stuck her arm briefly back out to wave at Svaela, and then was gone.

((no problem ^^))

Anonymous

Izami chuckled at the attention she was getting from the curiosity-perking female. She looked confused - no that wasn't even beginning to describe the look on her face. "Well, it seems we're off to the same place, doesn't it?" Izami commented when she caught up with the other. "Seems pretty funny, seeing as you look like a non-human form of me with black tips. You have a name? Mine's Izami." Izami smiled and tilted her head, the hair covering the left side of her face tilting slightly, displaying a piece of another tattoo on her left cheek.

Anonymous

She half turned as Tayr spoke to her.  She waved uncertainly back at the woman, feeling somewhat nervous without her nearby.  Then the other woman approached, and started talking.  She reached up and ran her fingers along the edge of her left horn as the woman spoke.

Izami.  She rolled the name around in her mind, trying to see if she recognized it.  To her disappointment, no flash of recognition occurred, and she was left with the realization that this woman was a stranger.  "I'm Svaela."

Anonymous

The tavern had quite a few people in it, quenching their thirst, and it was busier than usual for this time of day. A couple of people looked up from their drinks to regard Tayr, but a soldier on duty wasn't an unusual sight in this part of the world and she passed without much comment. She nodded at the man behind the bar as she made her way through the room. "Afternoon," she said, leaning her forearm on the dark wood. "I got a girl outside, needs a room."

The man shrugged and wiped a greasy cloth around the rim of another glass. This was about as close as he normally got to enthusiasm, so Tayr continued. "She ain't quite with it so I'll be checkin' up on her when she's settled in. I'll be payin', o' course."

The man perked up considerably at this, leaning forward. "How long?"

It was Tayr's turn to shrug. "Few days, dunno. Guess that'll come out when she works out what she's 'ere for. Told ya, she ain't quite with it."

Anonymous

Izami chuckled. "Nice to meet you. Not talkative? I can deal with that." Izami grinned at Svaela and stretched her arms behind her back. "So where'd your friend go?" There wasn't something quite right with the woman she spoke to. She seemed confused, almost lost. The way she looked about earlier seemed to prove it. She sighed and wiped her brow. 'Man... long hair sucks for hot weather. I really should get a hair tie...' Izami thought to herself, running a hand through the right side of her hair.