Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Home at last! (Rhi!)

Started by Anonymous, January 08, 2011, 02:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Liadan gave a small prayer to the gods that she finally get to meet up with her troupe in Rillaria. She had not been having a good month. First there was the crazy demon man thing and the kidnapping from her tent. Then the whole wings getting torn up then painfully healed, then the running away, minus that necklace because he could keep the damn thing, and now she had been on the road for weeks, trying to catch up with the circus.

Her feet throbbed, she had to bandage them days ago to help prevent them bleeding. She had no money when she escaped Haelo and that made traveling...difficult at best. But she had heard the circus was here, in the city. They had been here before and Liadan worked her way to where they had camped before.

And saw the familiar wagons and tents set up. She made a small sobbing sound in the back of her throat at the sight. Home again! Rushing forward, she ignored how pained her feet where. The well known figure covered in clashing colors of almost painfully vivid shades.

"Iris!" Liadan grabbed the blind fortune teller in a tight hug, clinging to her, "Oh gods I finally found everyone!"

Rhindeer

It had been rough, but Iris had finally, finally found her way home several days ago, and she couldn't have been happier. She had spent the days putting the past behind her and focusing optimistically on the future...

Or, at least, she tried. And failed. When she had come home, it was only to find that Liadan wasn't there and no one had seen hair or hide of her for a while--and that she had been kidnapped; they had seen a man take her, and no one had been able to stop it or find her.

Still, Iris tried to remain calm. She tried to keep herself busy, plunging herself back into her old work while putting on her usual cheery face--except that it was currently a facade, hiding knots of tension and dread and sorrow beneath the surface--and trying to think positively, because like attracted like in the universe and there was little else anyone could do. With no leads, no clues, nothing, there was nothing anyone could do but pray to the gods and the stars above that she would be safe.

Liadan was a strong woman. She would be okay.

Iris was waiting outside beside a table she had set up to do palmistry and tarot, enjoying the afternoon sunshine and trying to keep her thoughts clear when, suddenly, a familiar voice called out to her.

Before Iris could even register it, arms went around her and she yelped in surprise, jumping a mile. Then recognition dawned and she melted into the hug, her own arms going around Liadan and hugging her back tightly and burying her face against the woman's hair. It felt tangled and rough and she smelled like she hadn't bathed in a bit, but at that moment it was the single most wonderful scent and sensation.

"Liadan!" she gasped, stroking the woman's hair, and it was only when she spoke and heard how choked her own voice was that she realized she was crying, hot tears dripping down her cheeks. "Gods, I heard...I heard ya was taken! I heard--oh, gods, I'm so glad yer okay..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

She wasn't going to cry. She wasn't. She was going to be strong and brave and all that went right out the window as soon as she felt Iris hug her back. Liadan wrapped her arms tighter around the other woman, bursting into tears.

"Oh Gods Iris! I've missed you so much! It's been so awful!" She didn't even know where to start, what to say and she knew she must stink, already getting dirt on her friend. But she didn't think she could bring herself to let go for anything in the world.

Rhindeer

Iris didn't want to let her go, clinging tightly to her. Gods and stars above, but she didn't know if she'd ever even get to see her again. Kidnapped. Liadan could have been killed! Or sold into slavery! So many things could have gone wrong!

"What happened? Oh, don't answer that! Ya don't hafta answer, ya prob'ly don't wanna talk about it yet. We don't have to yet. Only when yer ready." She hugged her friend tighter, then slowly released her and brushed a hand against her cheek, feeling the tears and frowning.

"We should getcha inside. Getcha somethin' warm to drink, somethin' to eat, getcha cleaned up..." She slipped a hand down Liadan's arm and grabbed her hand. "Sound good?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Liadan nodded, wiping at her tears, her free hand clinging to Iris's arm, "Yes. Please. I would like that." She sniffled, heading with her friend into her familiar wagon. She spend almost as much time in Iris's as she did her own.

It was soothing to be inside a safe place again, to be home again. She could feel some of the fear that had been with her since running away started to melt. And her tears came rolling back. It was just so nice to be back with her circus, back with her best friend.

"I was so scared Iris. There was this crazy demon and he kept threatening me. And he hurt me." She finally released her friend, dropping down into a chair with a small whimper. Her feet hurt so badly, her shoes hadn't been up to all the walking she had been forced to do.

"I'm so sorry. I'm a mess and I'm babbling and I smell like an elephant's backside."

Rhindeer

While Liadan settled down, Iris ducked into the kitchen--which was just a small area separated from the rest of the wagon by a curtain--and poured them both a cup of hot tea. Balancing both on little platters, she returned, laying them out on a small table in front of Liadan's chair.

"Here, honey, drink," she said, and knelt down on the floor next to the girl's chair so she could reach up and hold her hand, stroking her arm soothingly. "It's alright, now. Are ya hurt? What'd he do t'ya--"

And then, now that they were no longer outside and she was sitting close to the girl, she could smell it. The metallic scent of blood. Iris sucked in a small gasp and reached out, feeling along the girl's body. Maybe it was a little privacy invading, but Iris was no prude and this wasn't about that, anyway. "Yer bleedin'. Where ya hurt, hon?"

Anonymous

Liadan was plenty used to Iris touching her, so the fact she was inside her personal space bubble didn't bother her. She shook her head, despite knowing the other woman couldn't see it, "It's just my feet. I didn't have any money and I had to walk from Essyrn and my shoes gave out. He got all the damage he did to me fixed."

She reached out, stroking Iris's hair, "I'm okay. I promise. I'll just be a little tender. Once I talk you out of some food, I'll take a long soak and we can bandage them up." It was actually helping a little, reassuring Iris that she was okay. Made it feel a little more true. And mostly, she just wanted to put that experience behind her. And talking with Iris just felt wonderfully normal.

Rhindeer

"What damage?" Iris's head jerked up and she turned her head in Liadan's direction, blind, milky eyes looking through the other girl. "Whatcha mean? More'n jus' yer feet? Gods, Liadan..."

She took a deep breath. Food. Right. The girl was probably half starved. Exhaling slowly, she pet her friend's arm soothingly before rising to her feet. "Alright. Alright, let's get some food in ya, then I wanna know what happened. If ya wanna talk 'bout it. But I'm cleanin' those feet while ya eat, don't care whatcha say. They'll take infection if we don't."

Heading back into the kitchen space, she returned with a bowl of pottage she'd made that morning and a small loaf of bread, setting both on the table. "There's more if yer still hungry," she said, before leaving again to fetch another bowl and a clean cloth.

Anonymous

"It's okay! I'm not hurt anymore. Well, besides my feet." Liadan winced and wished she had thought that through better. She really hadn't meant to upset Iris, "And I wont argue. After all I've been through, a little pampering sounds amazing."

Just the scent of the food in front of her almost made Liadan cry. She was safe. Really, really safe.

She dug into the food, too hungry to wait. Once she had decimated about half, she finally paused to speak, "He...uh, flew off with me, as you probably heard. And we ended up crashing through a building and my wings got all torn up. But they are fine! Sadly, I didn't lose them and they got healed. So don't worry, okay?"

Rhindeer

"So he didn't...do nothin' to ya?" Iris said cautiously, feeling her way around Liadan before kneeling down in front of her, cloth and bowl of water in hand. She set the bowl on the ground and dipped the cloth in it, then felt for Liadan's feet. Lifting one, she gently started dabbing it with the cloth.

"An' ya managed to escape? How'd ya do it?"

Anonymous

"He mostly just threatened. Really Iris, I'm okay now. I promise." The touch of the cloth to her feet had her tensing, eyes closing at the pain. But she didn't want Iris to worry, so she tried to keep her reactions as minimal as she could make them.

She had missed her friend so much. Missed everything really, but her most of all. Reaching out, she stroked a hand down Iris's beautiful hair, "I'm back and everything is okay, so don't worry."

Rhindeer

"Threatenin' don't make it much better!" Iris said, frowning with worry. She had been 'just threatened' herself and that had been utterly terrifying. Didn't matter that nothing had happened, the threat of violence was more than enough.

Sighing at the feel of Liadan's hand on her hair, she dipped the cloth again and went to work on the girl's other foot. "I'm just glad yer alright, love."

Anonymous

"I know. I know, it's just..." Liadan shivered, "I just am so glad to be home. I just want to forget about it."

She shifted her weight, wincing as the dirt was cleaned off her abused feet, "You don't have to do that. Really. It's okay." She stroked Iris's hair again, just so happy to be back again, "What about you? All we've done is talk about me."

Rhindeer

"It's okay. I'm doin' it 'cause I wanna," Iris said as she continued cleaning Liadan's wounded feet. She smiled at the hair pets, tilting her head so Liadan could better reach her.

"Ah, me? Oh, not much. Er...kinda...similar ta ya, actually," she said slowly, shifting awkwardly. "But not as bad as ya, an' I'm fine. Jus' a crazy man, is all, but I weren't hurt at all. Now, yer wings alright? Ya said they got hurt an' healed, but ya sure they're fine?"

Anonymous

"My wings are fine. Now, back right up. What do you mean a crazy man?" Iris just seemed to attract the worst men and Liadan hadn't been there to protect her. Her hair stroking got a little more possessive, "What happened?"

Rhindeer

"Uhh, well..."

Iris shifted a little, sightless eyes staring straight ahead at nothing. It wasn't really something she wanted to remember; it was one of the most terrifying moments of her life and what was worse was the way it came completely out of the blue with no provocation that she could think of. She'd dealt with some crazies but never anything that made her afraid for her life or virtue.

"Nothin' life shatterin', honey. Jus' a crazy man came fer a readin', got angry when I gave it to 'im, and got all..." She grimaced and shook her head. "Angry."

She gave a nervous laugh. "Seems we've both had bad luck with men, eh?

Anonymous

Liadan frowned a little, feeling like Iris was hiding something from her. But now wasn't the time to push. It was soothing, just being like this with her friend, something she had deeply missed on the road. She had spent so long being anxious that it felt a little strange to just...not.

"...alright. But yes, it sounds like the cards weren't in our favor it seems. Not for men."

Rhindeer

"Funny we'd both run into th' loons. Must be a seer thing." Iris shook her head and grinned, if a little weakly. "Maybe I oughta take on a more respectable profession, like wash clothes or sew."

Anonymous

"I can't picture you a seamstress. Besides, I would be lonely without you." Her feet were taken care of now, as well as her belly and Liadan just felt bone weary.

"I'm so glad to be home, to see you again. I had missed you so much Iris."

Rhindeer

"Oh, don'tcha worry none. I'd make a piss-poor seamstress." Grinning, Iris winked. "Ya gotta be able to see what yer sewin', don'tcha?"

She finished up and dried her hands off on her skirt, then rose to her feet and stretched, legs a little sore from crouching so long. "Ya tired at all? Ya must be. Ya should get some rest, love."