Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Same time every day, same routine

Started by Anonymous, April 10, 2011, 11:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Evangelus Feyal was the maintenance man of Atlas Verde.

No, that wasn't who he was, but that was how he felt. There were days when this sinking realizing would seep into his system, and the state of his affairs would paralyze him with grief, but there were other days, sunny days of solace like today, where he would grit his teeth and buckle down under adversity. It didn't matter that the hard work he did would never amount to anything – his sibling status made it so he could never be considered candidate for the next ruling lord and he knew it. What mattered today, and what should matter every day to him, was the work he did for these lands, his lands – Atlas Verde – and how the people benefitted from his labors. That was true glory.

He left the horse at home – ol' Benjamin has worse knees than Evangelus did these days, except Ben could play the age card, while Ev, however, could not. At a young age of twenty one, the last thing Ev should be doing was walking with a limp, but ever since the 'incident' so many years ago, it was how he walked – and, unfortunately, it was the only way some people around the province remembered him. It was a mark of a hero, they said, to be wounded (re: crippled) in the heat of battle, protecting your lands, but Ev would smile politely at these statements and move on. It was not a mark of glory. It was a mark of failure.

So he spent his days making sure he never failed again. Today – he was on the hunt, for a low-brow criminal that had managed to escape the attention of local Atlas Verde guards. A lazy 'maintenance man' would've spotted the nuisance and just amped up security, but Evangelus was more hands-on than that. If the guards had not noticed him before, they would not notice him even if they were alerted of his presence.

Hell, even Ev didn't know much about the crook, except for the fact that he was sly. He made a living swiping small amounts of food and goods here and there from vendors' stalls, who would never notice until it was too late. He never ran from those he stole – no one ever noticed him. He was here, right now, in this sleepy town – perfectly hidden in plain sight. When he'd strike, Ev would never know. But the mark of the Feyal family and that of a knight was still on his person – if they saw him about the city, they'd know to watch their back.

Still, he tried to keep a low profile – but it wasn't possible, not with his trademark limp, and not with the local townspeople occasionally waving cheerfully towards him, sometimes thanking him for small things he'd done for them in a past, things they would never forget. He could not be rude to them – these people were like his flesh and blood – but he did pull the cover of the shadows closer to him, trying in vain to lurk in the sunlight.

It was not working well for him. Still, he kept his eyes and ears open, but it was a vain attempt. How do you look for someone when you don't even know what they could look like? And worst of all, the thief could probably change his appearance at will, which would explain how he had never been caught. Ev groaned, leaning against an empty vendor's stall, watching the people go to and fro. He crossed his arms over his chest, shaking his head to himself, sighing. He was the maintenance man of Atlas Verde – was he not? Wasn't it his job to find people like this, lest he be considered a failure again?

Time passed, the sun inched its way across the lazy blue sky, and still, there was no suspicious activity to be found. He did, however, out of the corner of his eye, see a familiar face, or what he thought was a familiar face. Whoever the person was, she turned her head quickly, so that Ev could not get a closer look. This was not the thief, Ev thought, but the fact that the face had been so familiar to him was enough to make him persuade the figure through the crowd. He made his way through the sea of people, following that familiar girl, with that opal pinkish hair. Even with a limp, his determination did not slow down his pace, and eventually, he was in arm's reach.

He placed a hand on her shoulder, not really thinking how such an action might startle someone who was just going about their business. "Excuse me, miss," he started, his voice tentative, but reverberating with curiosity. "Do I know you from somewhere?" It was not really the smartest thing to say to get someone's attention, but he was curious, and despite Ev's zealous patriotism, he needed a distraction from this impossible case.

Anonymous

After being at home for a day she felt amazingly restless. Sitting in one place for more than a few hours was a strange concept she'd have to get used to again after going rogue on the mage army and helping a prisoner escape. The reason why wasn't spread out at all, thieving guards. Adalia sneered before she turned away and wandered around. She missed the forest, she missed riding every where on Atras she missed...

A noise had her turn around and she frowned for a moment before that 'miss' was for her, that it wasn't bad and that there was a hand on her shoulder. What? Her green eyes went wide and she turned around, her hair had grown out some, long enough to get it cut to one length instead of that choppy mess from before. If it weren't for the colour of her hair this man wouldn't have recognized her at all.

"Uh..." Adalia stared for a moment, blinking almost owlishly while she tilted her head and stared at the man who apparently knew her. "Yes you do." She pointed at him, a thick white glove over her hand that ended at her elbow. She wore decent clothing, a loose white shirt with short sleeves and fitted black pants. It was hardly fashionable, very obviously different from the other ladies loose dresses. This was the most comfortable though and it was far easier to run in pants.

"I'm Adalia. Eleniel. I was a mage-knight." She pursed her lips and tapped a finger to them while she stared at him, trying to place his face. A slow smile spread over her lips when she finally did place it, "Aaah, I remember you. You've grown a lot." Hadn't seen him... In a while. Training? She was younger then, which meant he had been younger if logic worked properly in cities still.

"I don't remember your name though, something important sounding. E-something." Her smile had grown slightly while she looked at him. And as usual her hands were itching beneath the damn gloves, but it was the gloves or have people stare at her scarred hands, so itching would have to do for now.

Anonymous

It wasn't every day that Ev put himself in awkward situations like this. Being the 'maintenance man' of this province (and he was beginning to love how common his self-given title sounded), he had more things to do than he had fingers and toes – he didn't have time to stop strangers on the street, even if they did look a little familiar – but he had done it anyway.

After an agonizing moment (in which Evangelus wondered what he would say if she turned out to be a stranger this whole time), the woman confirmed that yes, he did know her from somewhere. A grin etched itself onto his features; so he had been right! If only he could put her face to a name – and it was embarrassing that he couldn't, for he normally could recall names with a snap of his finger, but not today, not when the ability would actually come in handy. She had saved him the trouble though, and introduced herself promptly, giving him the name Adalia Eleniel.

She had been a mage-knight. "So that's where I've seen you before," Ev recognized, glad to have solved that mystery. Where had he seen her, though – probably in training, or orientation, or some other event where the knights had to gather. Maybe that had even been before his incident, before he had 'developed' his now 'trademark' limp.

She had mentioned that he had apparently grown a lot, and, like a little kid, Ev looked down towards his feet, as if doing so would give him any sense of how much he had grown. "Have I really?" he asked with a carefree laugh – and that inner child of his was showing. He was quick to cover it up, however, as soon as she mentioned how his name was 'important sounding.'

"Ah, it's not so important, really." It wasn't a lie. Unless he was the eldest, it wasn't really important. His name only made him work harder than he needed to – for the victory in truth, for the honesty of hard work. "Feyal. Evangelus Feyal." It was a bothersome name – bulky and ineffectual. "You can call me Ev, if you wish." He told that to everyone – and everyone seemed to forget the offer in a matter of seconds. It was astounding, really.

He was still curious though – it was a bothersome feeling, curiosity. "If it isn't too invasive of a question," he started out – and had a feeling it would be anyway. "Did something... happen to make you leave the knights?" This was a 'thing' with Ev – from the day he had joined, no, even before that, the members of the knights had been like a family to him, and even if he hadn't personally known them, he had always felt a close connection to them. They were more like a family to him than his immediate one –but it wasn't something he'd ever admit.

And now, and Ev didn't even realize how insane he was being – talking to someone in the middle of a busy street, with merchants and peddlers rushing up and down the street. Ev was a roadblock, but he didn't even realize it – his one track mind made realizing that fact almost impossible. One did not simply start conversations with familiar faces in busy streets, but Ev was more awkward with socializing than he'd like to admit.

Anonymous

Adalia smiled at Evangelus and she moved her hands to her hips and shifted her weight before tilting her head and pursing her lips. First she ran his name through her head, trying to put a younger face to that specific name, but she got nothing, though she could remember his face. Which she supposed was good, because that meant she wasn't a liar. She'd been younger, if a tiny bit older.
"Ev?" Adalia seemed almost disappointed, "Evangelus sounds so much more... more..." She looked down at her hands, spreading her fingers wide, "It sounds like more." She grinned at him though and let her hands fall down again, "But I'll call you Ev. We'll save calling you Evangelus for fights and when I have to save your life, provided I bump into you again." A wide grin and she blinked at him when he asked what had made her leave.
While people were going about their day around them, Adalia pushed her hand through that pinkish hair and then took his hand, "C'mon, we're make better roadblocks than we do roads!" She dragged him down the road a ways to a less crowded part of the street before she tilted her head, "The reason I left is a very, very long story with fighting and bandits and lust and lies and I'm sure it'd be terribly boring to you. I'd have to buy you a drink to make up for it." Adalia smiled and watched Evs face before giving him a once over.
 "I assume you're still on the job so it'd get you into trouble now unless you're one of those rougeish rule breakers who enjoy a strange story."

Anonymous

She was right – Evangelus was so much more, and that was why he'd rather be called Ev. It was such a little, unassuming nickname, something he didn't have to live up to, something that commoners could call him without feeling, something comrades on the battlefield could shout to get his attention. Evangelus was a name that was made for nicknames.

Still, he couldn't help but laugh when she mentioned saving his name for battles, when she'd have to save his name. "Sounds exciting," he admitted, "I'll have to bump into you again then, if being in life-or-death battles is in our future." Okay, not necessarily for the life and death battles, but it was nice talking to someone who didn't put on airs just because his last name was Feyal.

Granted, Ev had not been very smart about choosing to have a conversation with a fellow knight in the middle of the road. Busy people going nowhere pushed themselves around the duo, and the only reason they didn't vocally complain about the two of them standing there must've been because of how imposing them must've looked. Two knights could stop in the street and block traffic as they pleased, they figured – but it wasn't something Ev made a habit of doing. He allowed himself to be dragged out of road, grateful for her interference.

The road was less crowded here – the shops less busy, the people less hurried. He leaned against the side of a building that lay behind him, giving his bad leg, the one that made him walk with a limp, a bit of a rest. Ev had to laugh again – he doubted her reason for leaving was so full of adventure... or was it?

"Color me intrigued," Ev confessed with a smile. But then – oof, the job he was on... He sighed, scratching the back of his neck. Ev was a stickler for the rules and for enforcing them, but his current self-appointed task was killing him.

But he was really curious as to why she had left...

"Well," he mulled over his options, before shaking his head, and offering, "The job can wait, can't it?" Hell no, Ev thought, life didn't work like that and he knew it, but it was rare that he ever talked to someone about things that wasn't about the business of Atlas Verde. "You can tell your story and I can buy you a drink, if you'll let me."

He'd figure out what to do about the job later - he was sure he'd figure out something. He always did.