Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The light before the darkness

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2011, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It was looking to be a fine day, the weather clear and bright. The festival preparations were well underway, most of the manors staff he had given the time off to go help ready the village. Looking out the windows, he could see the massive forms of the bonefires being built, small children out in the sun building their straw men.

It was one of his favorite times of the year, all that sun and warmth. Made him think they might just be winning that fight against the darkness. He stroked a hand down the front of his shirt, smoothing the doublet down.

Rhys should be here soon as well. He was looking forward to seeing his old friend. And it had been a while since his friend had seen the children. It still amazed him how fast the younger ones grew and Rhonwen was about ready to be married. He would have to see about finding her a husband soon.

Rhys had some boys...maybe he would bring that up. See what his friend thought about a match between the families. Yes, that was a nice idea. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Anonymous

Rhys didn't normally leave the province of Fallial, but when he did, he did it in style.

A silver and purple carriage adorned with the insignia of House Stone – two silver rapiers, adorned with roses, crossed in an X formation – rode down the roads of Moonspear, turning heads as he did so. The white stallions that carried his noble ride were groomed to perfection – every detail, from each lock of their mane, to the purple and silver adornments on their saddles, were picked to match the carriage, to gleam and shine in the summer's unforgiving rays. Despite the heat, the High Lord could not resist dressing in his finest silk robes, which he had tailored just for this occasion. After all, it wasn't every day that he could leave Fallial, and he intended to make his impression on Moonspear count for the better.

It had been ages since he had seen his old friend Lucian – Rhys shuddered to think how long it had been since they had spoken! But today was the perfect day to visit, during Moonspear's Midsummer Festival. He had never been to such a festival himself, and was only familiar with his own province's customs, but Rhys was a man who was eager to learn; he was insatiably curious to see how the people of Moonspear celebrated on this special occasion. He almost wished the driver would hurry, but then Rhys remembered – he had given the driver strict orders to take his time making his way through the Moonspearian streets. After all, why rush? He had made sure the carriage looked absolutely perfect for this day, to make sure his entrance was absolutely fabulous.

Finally, the carriage pulled up in front of House Talii. The driver, a young man with silver hair and purple eyes, opened the door to Rhys' ride. Rhys, ecstatic, made his way out of the carriage, and with lighthearted eyes, stepped closer to his dear friend, Lucian, and took his hands in his. "Lucian! My old friend, it's been far too long!" the High Lord cried, obviously emotional (maybe too emotional) to see him again. "I must apologize," Rhys began, shaking his head and letting Lucian's hands go. The High Lord smiled, brushing his long purple hair over his shoulder. "I took far too long to get here – but I told the driver to take his time. I wanted to get a good look at your province, of course – and how marvelous, Moonspear is!" It was true! Lucian's province was really astounding – how grand it was, to see such a change in scenery!

Anonymous

"It's alright old friend. I rather took into account your penchant for being late." He shook hands with Rhys warmly, then pulled the other man into a hug. The Fallian High Lord had always been a little...high strung, but Lucian did enjoy his company.

"I'm just glad you were able to make it out for the festival. I hardly remember the last time I managed to get you out here." Servants were already arriving to take the carriage back to the stables and get the High Lords trunks unloaded. Once they had finished with that, Lucian had told them they could go join the villagers in town.

Lucian gestured out to the fields where the festivities were already underway, "Come, I bet you are hungry. It's but a short walk and the food is excellent! How have you been? How is the family?"

Anonymous

It really was a miracle that Rhys had managed to make it out here at all. It took a lot of preplanning and making sure to pick a day where not much was going on in his own province, plus asking Nyleha if she wouldn't make watching over things while he was gone. He would make it up to her of course sometime later in the week – she really did work so hard, sometimes harder than the High Lord himself.

"Trust me, Lucian – I wouldn't miss this for the world," Rhys assured with a grin. Really, it had been far too long since he had seen his old friend, and he was looking forward to spending the day with him. The trip really had taken a lot out of him though – there was so much to see around him, so much to take in! He hadn't even noticed how hungry he was... So, he followed Lucian, anxious not to see what sort of food was being prepared, but to see the inside of his fellow High Lord's House. How does architecture here differ from Fallial, he wondered...

"I've been doing well, thank Kia," Rhys replied, in good spirits. "The family has been as well as ever, but we aren't without our bumps here and there." To be honest, the only thing that worried him about being away from the House was the antics Gemini would get into, knowing there wouldn't be immediate repercussion. As long as he didn't pretend to light anyone on fire again, maybe he'd come back to a peaceful House... "I've been trying to seek out a suitor for my youngest, Hearth, but it has not been going well. She's always been so shy..." He shook his head, and laughed a little, looking towards his friend. "But what of you, and your family? I bet the children have grown since I've last seen them!"

Anonymous

"Hearth is looking for suitors already? She's still a baby!" Lucian shook his head, "Though I know the feeling. With Lorin missing, Rhonwen is rather back on the market." He hated that his baby was growing up so fast, but it was more than time for her to be married.

"Ezra and Ophelia are almost ready for that as well. Makes one feel so old. Where did all those years go?" Lucian laughed, gesturing with his arm, "Still, let's head down to the party. Did you want to stretch your legs, or shall I send for horses? The walk is rather pleasant."

Anonymous

Oh, Hearth – she truly was so small and delicate, compared to his others. Rhys laughed, clasping his hands together as he walked. "Oh, it's for the best, really! The sooner I can find someone to marry her, the better. It'll do her a world of good~" Of course, it was Rhys that was doing all of the looking, just as his father had done for him before. It wasn't an easy task – in fact, it was probably harder than the any of the politics he had to face as a High Lord – but he was determined to find someone for Hearth, someone special that would make her break out of her shell.

The High Lord laughed as Lucian complained of feeling old. "You're only as old as you feel, my friend – don't let the years get you down!" When asked of wanting a horse or not, Rhys shook his head. "I've been cooped up in that carriage for what seemed like centuries, so the chance to stretch my legs is greatly appreciated." He grinned. "Plus, I'll be able to admire your House a lot better this way~ no?"

Anonymous

"I'm sure you'll find the right man. She's a wonderful catch. It's a shame Ezra would be a bit young for her." Lucian sighed, heading out down the road with his friend, "Rhonwen is bad enough. Still no sign that Lorin will be back, so she's 16 and lacks a solid match."

It was a nice day, bright and clear. He hoped the light wouldn't be too much for Rhys, but they could find some shade once they reached the village, "What about Raifael? He's around the right age. Does he have a betrothed?"

It would be nice to join their families in marriage, but there was no way it would be Gemini. Maybe Hearth and Ezra if Rhys didn't find anyone better and didn't mind that Ezra was younger.

Anonymous

It was true – Hearth was quite a catch, but it was so hard to find the one for her. How was one supposed to know, when two souls were meant for each other? His father had managed to do well for him, so why couldn't he do the same for Hearth? It was a vexing situation, but Rhys tackled it with optimism – eventually, the right one would come along.

"Erza is such a nice lad though~ I admit, it is a shame..." God, Rhys was horrible with remembering ages, but he was sure Erza around ten, or maybe eleven – it would be too early to introduce him to Hearth as a suitor. But, perhaps, if things kept going like this, what was the harm in them meeting? He hoped, though, that he would find a suitor for Hearth soon – the sooner she was married and settled, the better, Rhys figured. It would do her a world of good.

Ah... it was only then that Rhys realized that he'd forgotten his parasol. He had been completely hung up over making sure that his entrance had been grand that it had totally slipped his mind. (And this was why his wife usually did his packing for him, before he left anywhere...) Still, it should be fine! The sun was not so bright that the gaeva would react – he would just have to be extra careful, was all.

"Ah, Raif... he has no betrothed, I believe, nor anyone he fancies," Rhys acknowledged, his tone thoughtful. "I hadn't thought of it, but they are around the same age!" He grinned, pushing a lock of his purple hair behind his ear. "Oh, they simply must meet, Lucian! Wouldn't it be great if they managed to fall for each other?" And there was that mischievous twinkle in his eye... "It would be the perfect way to join our families in marriage. After all, Rhonwen is so sweet, and Raif is ever a gentleman~"

Unlike his brother, of course. Sometimes, Rhys liked to pretend that his eldest didn't exist.

Anonymous

"I'll keep an ear out too. You worry too much. You'll find the right match for her. Trust your judgement and pray to Kia. Hopefully Hearth wont outshine Rhonwen." Lucian smiled, shaking his head, "It's so hard to get that girl to do anything besides tag along with the Order. I wasn't worried when she had Lorin-" Lucian paused, looking over at his friend.

If anyone could make her deal with her fashionable, feminine side, it was Rhys, "Hmmm...do you think I could send her to visit you for a bit? It would get her away from the Order for a bit and maybe you could help her be a bit more ladylike."

It wasn't that she lacked the ability, she just rarely chose to use it. "Maybe she and Hearth could attend some parties together. And she could get to know Raif a bit better."

Anonymous

Lucian was right, of course – if he kept vigil in his prayers, and continued searching adamantly, then yes, Hearth would eventually find the right one for her. But ah, these matchmaking adventures – they did take a lot out of him! The sooner all of it was over, the more at peace he would be, and the better off Hearth would be in the long run. At the end of the day, all Rhys wanted was the best for his youngest daughter – she deserved to be happy after all, didn't she? As her father, it was his duty to find that happiness for her.

At his friend's idea, Rhys clasped his hands together, his dark purple eyes wide, gasping in excitement. "Lucian! You are full of genius ideas today," Rhys acknowledged with a smile. "Why, I'd love for Rhonwen to visit House Stone! It'd be no trouble at all~ Teaching her how to be more ladylike would be absolutely easy." And he was sure of it, too. While Hearth might be quiet, she was, without a doubt, very ladylike in every way – Rhys had made sure of that. Somewhere along the line, he had failed with Gemini, but the rest of his children were his pride and joy.

Attending parties with Hearth, and getting to know Raif better... really, there was no downside to this idea. "It sounds like a fabulous idea, my friend," Rhys confided, still fluttering his fan back and forth. "Perhaps, when I leave for Fallial after the festival, Rhonwen can also come along?" He would understand if he'd rather not give her up so soon, though – after all, they just had thought of the idea today. But it was a fantastic idea at that, and Rhys was eager to set it into motion.

Anonymous

"Well, if you stay long enough for us to get her packed, I don't see why not." Lucian didn't like having her gone, but the sooner she got into the social scene, the better. "Oh course, I'll have to get Nova to say yes, but I'm sure she will. She would skin me alive if I sent our daughter off without getting her approval."

They were almost to the festivities now, the sounds of music reaching them, "And I think Hearth will be a good influence on her."

Anonymous

Rhys couldn't help but grin when Lucian assured that Rhonwen could be taken with him back to Fallial tonight! Oh, it would be darling for Hearth to have some proper company, and he was dying to see if Rhonwen and Raif would get along.

"Not to worry – I'll be sure to stick around for quite a while," Rhys assured with a laugh. "After all, the sooner we get her adjusted, the better!" It had been too long since House Stone had proper company, and Rhys was looking forward to it all.

"And, I'm sure Hearth will be a good influence on her."

"Of course, of course! If Hearth is anything, she is mannerly," Rhys went on, although he thought of her stutter  - that one, glaring flaw. Maybe being around Rhonwen would do something about it, but he knew that such a thought was only his wishful thinking kicking in. Her lessons with her speech therapist seemed to be going well, however – only time could cure such a grievous wound.

Before he could think any longer on it, he could hear music and the sounds of the festival stretching out towards them. He clasped his hands together, excited. "Ah, I can hear the music now!" he exclaimed, and tilted his head towards Lucian, his long purple hair slung over his shoulder.  "Are we nearly there, Lucian?" It might be a little obvious that Rhys was incredibly excited about the festival.

Anonymous

"Yes yes. Calm down." Lucian laughed, shaking his head. He picked up his pace a little, excited as well to see the festivities. Nova would be around somewhere, he was sure, with the twins. The scent of food filled the air. He had donated a large amount of food for the feast and he was excited to sample it.

"Would you like to eat first? Drink? Or there might even be a few games you can enjoy."

Anonymous

"Calm down?" Rhys echoed, as if such a thing was an insurmountable task. "I'm not sure if that's possible, at this point – but, for you, I'll try," Rhys laughed.

Oooh, but now Lucian was making him choose. Rhys pursed his lips, pondering – gods, he really wanted to play games, but the scent of  that food would drive him mad if he didn't get to try some on the double. "Let's sample the food, Lucian! It smells absolutely divine," he gushed – and it was true! Trying out another's province's food was something he was definitely looking forward to doing.

"We'll have to try the games after though. Imagine, High Lords like us, playing games?" He laughed a little, jovial. "What a sight that'll be!" Rhys, of course, hadn't played an actual game in ages, so he was glad for this reprieve – to kick back and relax!

Anonymous

"Sush. Act calm and no one will ever realize were secretly High Lords." Lucian came to the festivities every year, mostly for the children, but he did enjoy himself as well. It was nice to cut loose for a day. Lucian led the way to the tables where food was set up.

It was mostly meat, with fowl, pork, fish, venison and beef everywhere. Lucian snagged a small wild bird, basted in honey and spices. Eating carefully he savored the sweet taste, "Ah, if only we could have feasts every day."

Anonymous

"Sush. Act calm and no one will ever realize were secretly High Lords."

"Someone's bound to see through our charade, I'm sure," Rhys laughed, shaking his head. It was nice to talk casually with his good friend, for once, and even better to be out of Fallial, even if it was only for a day.

Rhys had a harder time choosing just what he should select to eat. Eventually, after some fussing, he chose a plate of basted lamb, settling next to Lucian to eat it. Delicately, he cut himself a piece of the meat, chewing on it tenderly. Ah, and Moonspear's cooking was fantastic indeed! If only they could have feasts every day! The High Lord laughed a little, after swallowing his lamb. "If only, my friend! But then, nothing would get done." He would just sit around feasting all day — it would wreak horrors upon his physique!

Anonymous

"Ah, true. But wouldn't that be lovely?" Work was always piling up on his desk. Books to look over, accounts to check, crisis to deal with. Not to mention all the politics going on. Licking his fingers clean, the tiny bird already gone.

"The blancmange is amazing as well." Lucian always liked to sample around, try bits of everything, though much of it was more exciting the the villagers than himself. He ate meat much more often then they did.

"What do you think of the new Queen?"

Anonymous

"Indeed, it would!" he agreed with a nod. To erase all of his duties in favor of feasting — but he was sure that it would get old, after a while. A lack of moderation in anything always lead to boredom, he was sure. Still, the thought was fun to entertain.

At Lucan's recommendation, Rhys took a bowl of the blancmange — it smelled absolutely divine, and to his knowledge, he had never tried the dish before. After tasting it, he found that Lucan was right — it was absolutely amazing.

"What do you think of the new Queen?"

"Ah, the Queen! She seems like a fabulous new face to lead the kingdom," he affirmed, after scooping up some more of his blancmange. "It is such a big change, no? High Lady one night, and Queen the next!" He knew it wasn't as dramatic of a change as that, but Rhys was always one for dramatics. "I do believe she'll do a fine job, nevertheless! Don't you think?"

Anonymous

Lucian nodded, getting his hands on a mug of cider, rich and sweet, "She seems a decent choice. It will be rough, with so many others reaching for power. And that buisness with Lorin going missing."

Gazing across the square, Lucian watched absently where a race was taking place, boys and girls tied together at the ankle, "She didn't make much impression at the party. Though that woman did." Lucian was a little old fashioned when it came to sex, "I'm sorry. I've turned the conversation to heavy things."

Anonymous

Rhys nodded at Lucian's observation. It was true, being the new leader of Serendipity wasn't a position he could ever see himself handling — he had enough on his plate by simply being High Lord, thank you very much (and a certain son of his didn't make his job any easier).

"I don't envy her position," he noted, dipping his spoon back into the blancmange. "This is certainly not an ideal time to take up the throne," The old King, and Lorin's disappearing act surely wasn't a high note to take the throne on... To have that mystery still hanging in the air was kind of unnerving, honestly, and it wasn't something Rhys liked to think about often.

As Lucian spoke of the impression 'that woman' had left him on the party, Rhys paused — he had to take a moment to remember. "That woman..." he echoed softly, before it occurred to him. "Oh, her. The queen's..." He cut himself off, waving the thought away with his spoon.

"I thought her to be quite intriguing. And then I learned who exactly she was..." A mistress to the queen... how was it that her husband was okay with her being at the inauguration? Rhys shook his head, laughing a little. "No need to apologize, one can't help but gossip about these things," he laughed. "It's so interesting, among other things..." Like scandalous, for one, but Rhys knew all about those, thanks to his eldest.

He followed Lucian's gaze, also watching the children take part in the one-legged race. "They seem so carefree, no? It's a shame they don't stay little for long." They were so cute, so innocent, so full of promise — and so incapable of starting up rumors. No, that would come much later.