Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Drowning My Sorrows

Started by stelmarisa, February 23, 2012, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stelmarisa

It was a dark, gloomy pub, the air saturated with alcohol and smoke. The lamps burning on each table really only cast a light on their own inhabitants, leaving the rest of the inn shadowy. That was probably for the best - the floor had an unpleasant sticky sensation, and one got the impression that the walls, chairs and even the tables were similarly grotty. The sullen bartender was wiping down the bar with the same greasy rag he'd been using all day, glaring around at the few patrons. In all, it was the perfect pub to straddle the two provinces of Selevea, providing cover for all the illicit deals that went on inside it's walls.

Kaven Damal, however, was not interested in such shady dealings. He had been sat on the same bench all afternoon, and probably all morning, although he'd lost track of time. He'd expected coming to Selevea to be fascinating, an interesting look at the way others lived. Instead, a letter received from his sister had spiralled him into fresh misery, and now he sat, hands curled around a mug of ale, empty eyes gazing at the barely-started reply that sat in front of him.

Sisi, my darling - and this pathetic point was where his inspiration had fled.

Haze

It was an odd thing, to have down time like this. She had just finished a job, and successfully at that. Which was nice, considering the job beforehand had been a total screw up. The assassin was well paid, and had coin to spare, and had no reason to head back into Ketra, so Selevea would be her playground, if only for a few days. She had spent the day lazing about in an over-priced, but luxurious in, and now, since her stomach was beginning to make rumbling noises, she'd picked herself up, and found herself in not the nicest of places. But hey, it had drink, it had food, and chances were, it had men. And she was always up for a bit of fun.

As she waltzed confidently into the pub, brown eyes quickly adjusting to smoky haze of indoors, Korbane's gaze came to rest on a sullen looking character, staring forlornly into a mug. Korbane clicked her fingers towards the bar tender, who immediately snapped to attention. She might be a small woman, stunningly gorgeous in looks with that slightly exotic nature surrounding her every move, but she also caused men to be spell-bound, ready to do her every bidding. As she slid past the bar, she collected the mug of ale poured for her by the open mouthed barman, and took herself to sit down beside the dour man.

Crossing her right leg over left knee, she turned her body in towards the man. "You know, drinking alone never really does anything to lift one's spirits. How about some company?"

stelmarisa

Still ensconced in the fog of his thoughts, Kaven hadn't noticed the newcomer to the bar, even when she sat at his table. The other men in the bar might have had their heads turned, but he hadn't so much as looked up. Hence, it came as somewhat of a shock when a voice rang out, so close to him. Flinching, he looked up, eyes taking a moment to register who was beside him. Mouth half open to dismiss her, he was given pause by the sight that met him. She was beautiful, confident, and right here, next to him.

"Uh..." he looked away, back at the table, and the spell was broken. He shrugged blankly. "Whatever. You can sit here if you want."

It wasn't much of a response, but then he didn't have much energy to formulate one.

Haze

Korbane lifted a haughty eyebrow to his response. "Gee, you are quite the charmer, aren't you?" She settled into her chair, left arm lying across her stomach, while her right was lazily making the trips to and from her mouth necessary for her to drink. Her head tilted towards him, and she took in his appearance in cursory glance. It wasn't like she was looking for money, but she now considered his lack of ... interest ... in her as a challenge.

"Are you searching for your future in your ale?" She asked, lifting an arm to prod at his shoulder. "Come, I can see you are clearly not enjoying that drink. Let me get you something with a little more ... pizzazz." She winked at him, and only had to lift her hand, before the barmen left his post and came straight to her side.

"Yes, miss?"

"Two of the strongest drinks you have. I don't even care if it's illegal." Her tone was so luxuriously relaxed the barman almost faltered, but as her eyes snapped to his face, his himself snapped to attention, just like before and within moments had two small cups at the table between Korbane and Kaven, containing an indeterminable form of alcohol, a strange peacock blue in colour.

"What do we drink to?" She asked, a foot extending to nudge at his ankle.

stelmarisa

Kaven had looked at her wearily at her sarcastic comment, fighting the urge to roll his eyes. He was expected to be a charmer to someone who just decided they wanted to talk to him. She could probably have any man in this bar... why is she talking to me? he grumbled to himself, hugging his ale a little closer to him as she prodded him. I just want to be left alone... is that too much to ask, even here?

He was forced to look up, however, as the drinks arrived in front of them. His eyebrow raised as he lifted his cup, examining the liquid within. Curiosity won out, and he spoke to her in spite of his foul mood. "What do we drink to?" he repeated after her, a wry smile on his face. "Probably death, by the looks of it. What is this stuff?"

He smelt it experimentally, nose wrinkling.

Haze

"You know what? I have not the faintest clue!" Korbane replied merrily, peering into her own up. "Never mind that though, drink!" And she did just that, tipping her head back exaggeratedly, baring her long neck to Kaven without a care, and downing the whole lot on one neat shot. The stuff burned, searing its way down her throat, and setting into her stomach with a roaring blaze.

"Oh my fucking word," she coughed, thunking the cup down sharply. "That is going to take some getting used to." She gave Kaven a saucy grin and then yelled "another!" over her shoulder to the bar keep.

While she waited, her attention drifted back to Kaven. "So, Mister Misery, do you have a name? Or do I have to ply you with something stronger to get you to spill?"

stelmarisa

Watching her gulp down the probably-poisonous liquid, Kaven raised an eyebrow as she exposed her neck. His gaze lingered for a second, until he sighed and picked up his own cup. "Fine," and more to distract himself than anything else, he threw the drink down his throat.

"Ugh!" he choked as it burned down his throat, sending his eyes streaming. He dropped his cup down, wiping his eyes on his cuff. "Gods... I was right when I said 'death'," he laughed in spite of himself as she grinned and yelled for more. For an instant, the strange comraderie that comes with downing hard liquor had taken his mind off his gloom, and reminded him of friendship.

It was in this altered mind that he heard her question. Even the impertinent way that she asked didn't put him off, as it might have done, and he found himself answering almost cheerfully. "You can have my first name - Kaven. But my last name, and any other information... that will have to be earned." He grinned back at her.

Haze

She flashed a smile for his reaction to the liquor, and considered that perhaps she'd met her match in the daredevil field. She didn't know of many people who would readily accept a drink of dubious origins. It was only since she was in such a good mood having come into a decent amount of coin, that she even brought herself to converse with strangers. Usually she was the kind of person to keep to herself, and glare at people. Not tonight though.

"Kaven," Korbane inclined her head in acknowledgement and ruffled the underneath of her hair in an absent fashion. "Oh, well - I can assure you, any information you might want from me will have to be gained in the same manner." Her fingers curled around the second cup that was placed in front of her, and then nudged the other cup over to Kaven with a teasing smile.

"Question - what will you do to get my name, hmm? "

stelmarisa

"Hmmm." Taking the cup, Kaven nested it in between his hands as he surveyed his companion. It was the first time he had really looked at her, and he had to admit, he was impressed by what he saw. He found his eyes drawn to the fiery hair, following its waves around her face and down to that neck, again. He shrugged casually, and took a slow sip at his liquor before answering.

"You seem like the kind of girl who knows what she wants. Why don't you tell me what you're looking for, and I'll see if it's a price I'm willing to pay." He smiled, properly now, as this bargaining for information began to catch his interest.

Haze

Korbane wasn't oblivious to the way he looked at her now. In fact, she was more than pleased that he'd been brought out of his little lethargic moping long enough to take notice. The woman slipped forward, leaning on her elbow as she considered his proposal. "Oh, I most certainly am that kind of girl. I know exactly what I want." She winked at him, and then brought her cup to her lips, and mimicked Kaven's movements, taking a sip now, as opposed to slugging the drink back.

Looking across at Kaven with a kittenish stare, she gave him a smile. "And while it might be true, to be completely open and honest with you Kaven, right now there is nothing in particular that I want, perhaps a few more drinks, and someone to share a cold, lonely bed with a little later," she rose a suggestive eyebrow but carried on as if she had said nothing untoward.

"But for now, how do you feel about taking a gamble?" She reached inside her jacket pocket and whipped out a silver glint, setting it on the table between them. "I am willing to place a bet that I can evade your questions, and leave you still guessing by the end of the night as to who I am, and why in all the sweet heavens names, I graced you with my presence."

stelmarisa

"What?" Kaven stared at the glint, then looked back up at Korbane quizzically. "A bet?" This was not how he'd expected his night to go. Now he had a drinking companion who wanted him to... guess why she was here? This was pretty weird. He laughed shortly, taking another sip of his drink before he spoke.

"So let me get this straight... you want me to bet against you that I can finagle all of your secrets out of you? Especially that big question - why you want to talk to me?" He shook his head. "I'm not sure I can see what's in this for me. But..." He reached into his pocket and produced a coin to match the one already on the table, dropping it next to hers. "But you're on."

Haze

Korbane flashed Kaven a smile as he laid the coin down, and took her challenge. It would be interesting, she decided, to see if he would get any information out of her. Although, with a slightly amused look into the brilliantly coloured liquid in her cup, she had to wonder whether or not she could keep a hold of her tongue. Of course, she wasn't going to give anyway information lightly.

Taking a sip of her drink, she hummed in quiet pleasure at the slow burn as it made it's way down her throat. Leaning back into her seat, Korbane looked at her drinking partner with frank appraisal. He was okay looking, she guessed, a little rough around the edges, and slightly more dour and morose than her usual target, but she figured she could change that fairly easily.

"Well, what's in it for you, is a whole lot of coin for you if you win. I'll put down a glint for every piece of information you get out of me."

stelmarisa

"Well, I suppose that makes it profitable enough on my half." Kaven shrugged amiably as she answered, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. He took another swig of his drink slowly, calculating how much coin he had available for the night. Would he be able to keep this woman - he suddenly realised he didn't even know her name yet - in drinks long enough to persuade her to give up her information?

Putting down his cup he leaned back and studied his opponent carefully, eyes carefully considering her. He wasn't checking out her looks this time, but her personality - or what showed of it on the outside. She seemed sure of herself, so he could assume that she would be a tough nut to crack.

"And if I lose, what's in it for you?"

Haze

Korbane simply smiled a little wider, a playful twinkle in her eye. While not one for games usually, she couldn't help but feel particularly light and fool-hardy with the drink warming the cockles of her belly, and the coin in her purse being rather laden; the assassin ran her index finger around the rim of her cup, and bit down on her lip lightly. "Nothing in it for me, besides some company."

She lifted her cup then, and tipped the rest of the liquid down her throat. "You don't look like you're from around here," she observed, "are you travelling somewhere?"

stelmarisa

"Very astute of you." Kaven raised his eyebrows as Korbane made her observation. "No, I'm not from around here. I'm from La'marri originally, but I left nearly two years ago."

Normally he would have stopped at 'no', preferring not to give strangers too much information about him - but then he normally preferred not to talk to strangers at all. Now, however, the fiery liqour was warming him up to talking, loosening his tongue as his companion questioned him.

"I am travelling, but not to anywhere in particular, I suppose." He shrugged a little, finding himself stumped by the question. "I don't really know where I'm headed."

Haze

She actually didn't care, but Korbane leaned forward, and feigned interest, twirling a strand of hair around one long, nimble finger. In her mind, she was working out the best way of upping the game, but had drawn a complete blank. It surprised her that he wasn't asking questions of her yet. She'd thought that he would have by now. Perhaps he was waiting for her to become a little more loose with her talk? As it was, the drink was doing a wonderful work of loosening her up.

"A lone ranger, hmm?" She questioned, fairly rolling the words off her tongue. "A handsome man like you, not tied down to any one place, and one person. We could have a lot of fun with that, you know."

stelmarisa

Kaven finished his drink, feeling the fiery warmth spreading throughout his limbs. By now, all the colours seemed a little brighter, the edges of objects a little sharper. His mind, too, felt sharper, and as Korbane leaned in towards him he looked at her intently. He was flattered by her attention, but the coin on the table kept his mind on their bet.

"I suppose we could." He leaned backwards, signalling for more drinks before crossing his arms. "But who would I be having fun with? Such an unusual beauty... you're not suggesting you're from around here, are you?"

His voice was low now, smooth, as he flattered her.