Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bending Fate [M] [Goblin]

Started by Juno, March 05, 2012, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

The freshly sealed letter was set upon the edge of the desk and a hand resting atop waited to move it. "You have a cruel master, don't you?"

"Not at all, Sir."

"You've been getting so good at hiding it." The hand slid the letter across the table and gestured to the man's bandaging. "I always wonder why you hide something so beautiful."

"It's difficult to explain if someone notices." He took the letter and tucked it into the front pocket of the small satchel for his things on this short trip.

"That would require you speaking to others."

"Remaining inconspicuous on the way would be favorable; it really is a long trip, you know."

"Yes, but it always keeps me waiting. I have to find other ways to occupy my time." A brief but knowing, toothy smile was there for him to see as he hastily adjusted the bag to sling up onto his shoulder. "Now go. Don't keep me waiting for too long."

It took no more than those words from Akakios for Toren to be on his way. The letter he was to deliver was nothing new. Akakios only let a few ever deliver or receive his letters, especially of business, and Toren alone was allowed to handle the vast majority of it.

It had happened just the previous night, but he was growing accustomed to this routine; a feeding from the vampire just to be sent away on business. It was a newer development, one that had surprised the younger man being so used to his master keeping him close during those times, but the pain that would haunt him was often easier to face alone without prying eyes.

Where his neck met his shoulder was a thin wrapping, just enough to cover the most recent wounds. It was flimsy at best, but there was a small knot securing it at the side. It clashed considerably with his skin tone, but at this point he couldn't care less if anyone knew, the pains had already to set in, his eyes holding a slight glaze after only half a day since it had happened.

Leading a chestnut pony at his side, he made his way into town. For him there was no real rush to get there so long as he was able to return by the end of the week, so why not enjoy what little bit of free time he would have? The bag was gently bouncing at his hip as he entered town, but his attention was drawn to other things and he did not notice when the valuable piece of paper slipped out and fluttered noiselessly to the ground. Resting precariously atop the mud, it was safe for but a moment before a rear hoof of the pony crumpled it into the ground and tore at the red seal a bit. When the weight was lifted, the letter had been partially ripped and the highly stylized handwriting on the page unveiled. Toren, though, was none the wiser and just carried on his way in ignorance of the precious thing being lost.

GoblinFae

The midday sun hovered high in the sky, shedding some warmth for the people out and about on the cool autumn day. Ladybird Hornwort was among those traversing the town square. She in particular was making a few deliveries here and there to those seeking certain meaningful flower arrangements.

She had just made her last delivery and was about to cross the street when she was forced to pause as a man and his pony passed by her. Waiting patiently, she smiled and ran an impatient hand over her familiar's back as was her custom. For a moment she thought she saw something flutter to the ground but, blamed it on a flicker of light.

When at last the pair moved on, Ladybird made to jump over the mud puddle blocking her way but, something white caught her eye. Leaning down she plucked up a crumbled letter. A few phrases caught her eye but she did not read the letter for long before she was taking off after the man.

"Sir!" Ladybird called after him, hiking up her skirt and running to catch up to him. "Sir, I believe you dropped this." She tapped him on the shoulder and made to hand him the letter. "I think this fell out of you rucksack." The young botanist offered a up a smile and blushed. As her head lowered slightly she was able to make out a few more phrases from the parchment in her hand.

I trust she's to your liking...
Send him back with...
...found a new use for...
...and you'll see how I get...

The words seemed to ring in her mind but, Ladybird was quick to dismiss them and raise her head again. "Good day to you, sir," she greeted, giving him another winsome smile that this time reached her eyes as well.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

Toren turned his head to look over his shoulder at the sound of a woman's voice behind him and stopped when he realized it was he she was trying to get the attention of when she tapped him on the shoulder. "Dropped...?" he trailed off as he looked down and then his face blanked at the realization of what she was holding out to him. The letter, muddied, scuffed and crinkled was still recognizable but was in terrible shape from whatever had just happened. Turning slowly, his eyes trailed further down to look at the bag the letter had been in before and, sure enough, the pocket was empty.

Gulping, his eyes returned to the letter as he raised his hand to take it from her. "Ah, thank you, that's very kind of you to return-" He noticed the mud on her hand as his fingers finally touched against it as well to take it back from her but when he raised his eyes he realized that she was looking at what torn, exposed parts of it there were and quickly snatched it away to hastily tuck it into his bag. "Thank you," he repeated, his bright eyes now harbored with entirely fearful shadow. "I am in your debt." Gathering up the reins of his pony again, Toren nodded to Ladybird and turned to go right back the way he'd come down the road.

His return to the Reolaras estate just before sunset was far too swift and everyone of the house he passed by on his way in knew it. Toren himself, though, was silent as he returned the pony and made his way back upstairs to the study, dreading every moment it took to reach the door. Finding Akakios still seated where he'd left him, though, had him clutching the little bag tightly as he crossed the room to stand before his master's desk. "I ran into a small problem," he told him, gaze lowered to stare at the stack of clean papers at the far right edge of the desk. Very slowly, he retrieved the battered letter and held it out tensely for the vampire to see.

"What did you do?"

"It fell- I dropped it."

The vampire raised a brow slowly as he snatched the paper up from his slave with two fingers so as not to dirty his own hand with the drying muck upon it. Looking it over, his eyes immediately found all the little smudges and marks upon the once pristine parchment and the seal that had been pushed back a bit. What especially caught his attention, though, was the exposed words on the page and the imprint of a much more slender finger upon the dirtied top. "Did anyone see this?" he asked, setting the filthy thing aside as he already reached to get a fresh paper to start from scratch again.

"No, just took a swim in the mud. I'm very sorry to waste your valuable time, Sir, I know it's very important. It won't happen aga-"

"You know I don't like liars, Toren." Akakios grinned smugly to himself as he set the book he'd been reading aside and began to write once more. "Tell me."

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? Where did this happen?"

"In town, Sir."

The vampire glanced to the ruined draft again, eyes momentarily settling upon smudged fingerprint again. "Did anyone else touch it?"

"No, Sir."

His master grinned, a dark chuckle shaking his shoulders briefly. "This is not seemly, boy. After all these years I thought you truly hated pain... Be sure to refresh your memory before you return." With that he folded the second letter, poured and stamped the seal again and pushed it over the desk to the other man. "Mistakes are so unlike you. Don't let this happen again."

He knew he could not change what would become of him now, but the fear in his eyes was apparent. Taking up the fresh copy and properly putting it inside his bag, Toren nodded and backed out of the room again to return to the task he'd been set to earlier in the day.

GoblinFae

She watched the stranger for a moment more before continuing on with her day. Ladybird did not really think much more of the occurrence and the encounter was quickly forgotten. People came and went about there business frequently, if she touched a life but briefly it was more than most did.

Night came and with it the closing of Petal and Frond for the day. Her private garden began to stir with the night life as many of "little visitors" as she called them woke and set out to hunt. It was the night of the new moon, making it an impossible task for Ladybird to do any late night planting and re-potting.

'Early bed it is then. G'night Fern!' she mindspoke to her familiar. A lazy response of acknowledgement flooded her mind and made her smile. The little snake was too tired to do more than convey a few bursts of emotion today before curling tighter around her wrist and falling back asleep. An hour or two later, the human joined him in slumber, the book she had been reading sliding from her stomach to the floor as she rolled to her side.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

His entire trek to deliver the letter being delayed a day already, Toren resigned himself along the way that what might happen when he returned would not be anything favorable. Performing his duty as he was set out to do, he got the second letter to the receiver. In his pack was the answer he was to return to Akakios, which was safely tucked away with not a chance of slipping away from him now.

Making one mistake might have been only mildly punished, but luck was not in his favor. During his rest just before he would reach town the previous night a small pack of wolves had attempted to take down his mount while they slept. It wasn't fending them off that was a problem so much as the damage they'd left. Now two things had been damaged in his possession and he had an idea of how this might be received by his master.

The mare had several lacerations upon her legs of all shapes and sizes, but Toren was able to coax her along and into town, if at a snail's pace. Once they reached it, though, every dog on the street big or small was spooking the animal. She was lame and already so tense and sweaty that the man seriously wondered if she would be alright to make it back home like this. "Shh. It'll be alright, girl, we'll be there soon," he continued to assure her every now and then, a hand at her neck stroking calmly though she was bobbing up and down as they went along.

Toren desperately avoided making eye contact with anyone, but he could still feel a multitude of stares weighing upon them, a pair of sweat-covered travelers with one bearing streaks of dried and drying blood upon her coat. Save speaking to the equine, though, he was silent.

GoblinFae

Ladybird stepped out her front door and took a big gulp of fresh morning air. She just stood there, leaning against her doorjamb and watched the streets come to life. The shop still would not open for another hour or so depending on how she was feeling and she had already completed everything she had intended to do for now.

The stuttered clip-clop of a horse's hooves on the cobblestones perked her interest, forcing her gaze over to the left. 'It's the man from before. Oh no! His poor pony. I wonder if he would be willing to let me care for her. I'm sure I have some herbs that would help with that. Then again-no buds Petal! Quit being a wallflower and go help!'

She pushed off the wall and slowly made her way over to man and beast. Speaking quietly to the horse, Ladybird made sure she was seen before slowly brushing her hands along the creature's neck. "Shh, there there now. You're alright." Peeking past the horse's head she tried to make eye contact with its owner. "Forgive me sir, it seems we meet again. I-um, I'm Petal. I own the flowershop over yonder," she told him, nodding her head back from where she had been standing.

"I couldn't help noticing your pony's limp. If you can pause in your journeys for but a moment, I have some herbs that would help her. It would be better for her if she didn't have to continue walking on that injured leg." Ladybird was winding up to defend her decision to help. She could not stand the idea of the horse being hurt and not receiving the help it needs. 'I hope he is willing to accept the help. To do otherwise would be cruel and barbaric in which case I have a few choice words for him!'
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

The sound of footsteps alerted him, but he still kept his head down at first until he saw the flash of fabric on the other side of his horse that could only be a skirt. Looking up at the sound of her voice he began to realize that it was dreadfully familiar. She was soothing the mare but Toren couldn't help but look over. Yes, it was the same woman from before. Now, though, he had a name to call her by and a location to place her in as well. Those additional details were personally nice, he knew already that this was exactly what his master had wanted and would probably continue to demand from him. He still smiled for her generosity, though, her forward kindness a trait he'd not seen much in the people in his life.

Running his hand through the pony's forelock, Toren cast an apologetic look down at the creature's lame leg, the road he was supposed to be heading down and then to the woman he now knew as Petal before nodding in agreement. "We really must be on our way," he began, the words more to himself than anything else. Still, she was offering to help and getting the animal patched up would definitely be more favorable than returning her, someone else's property, entirely battered and bloodied.

"Alright. Thank you, I would really appreciate that, but... a flower shop?" He was a bit skeptical of this particular information as he didn't naturally equate such a place to also be home to herbal remedies. "Well, thank you for your time..., Petal," he offered again, leading the pony off in the direction she'd indicated as they walked along.

"Do you... have much experience treating horses?" he asked, curious as to why the mare had drawn her attention enough for her to come over and speak with him.

GoblinFae

Ladybird walked alongside the pony still keeping with it in between her and the stranger. "Yes I own a flower shop," she proudly restated, beaming in joy. "I do actually. I've had a few myself over the years. You see my flower shop also carries various plants and herbs. The apothecary down the street usually buys from me for his own remedy concoctions."

She lead him to the back of her home and shop, letting him in through the garden gate and through there to the stables. "You can just put her in the big stall and I will get to her in a moment. I want to take care of some things first." Moving away from the pair, Ladybird began to slowly unwind Fern from around her wrist. A disgruntled grunt resounded through her mind, indicating his displeasure at the action. 'Well I can't very well be having you spook her more. She seems to have been through enough already.' The snake gave no more of a protest other than to open one beady eye and glare as he was placed on the bandage shelf.

She laughed softly and patted him on the head. Grabbing up her box of healing plants for larger animals, Ladybird made her way back over to the horse. "Such a good girl," she cooed, becoming absorbed in her work. She slowly ran her hand down the creature's flank, lowering to examine the lacerations. "Were you two attacked by something? These look like teethmarks." Ladybird did not look up from her examinations, her brow furrowing in concentration. "Lily petals should work nicely I think. A natural bandage that will fall off later. Yes," she nodded to herself, "that should help with any infection too."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

The apothecary. Now that was a man Toren was all too familiar with and not in ways that were good. Special orders that were either made by him or delivered to him for an underling of Akakios to retrieve. This woman didn't look the sort to be involved in seedy business, especially having offered to help the animal, but he supposed one could never be too careful especially when carrying precious, time-sensitive cargo.

Leading the pony along as he walked with the stranger on her other side, he was beginning to feel a bit anxious to return home much as he knew the animal needed to be tended to. Though, Toren was quite certain he would be punished either way. He could hope that whatever he was already going to receive from before was fairly mild as now he would be returning damaged property and something fairly valuable at that.

Nodding for the woman's instructions, he led the mare down to the appointed stall once they'd parted ways and stood at the door to it while they waited. He took the opportunity to take in the sights of the building they'd passed going through the gate and the gardens he assumed were also owned on the same property. It was nice, he thought, very quaint and quiet back here even for being in a respectably populated town.

Upon the kind stranger's return, Toren stepped aside for her as he opened the door, peering in to observe her work as his hands rested atop it. The gentleness with which she treated the animal did not go unnoted, but he flinched at her question, simple as it was to answer. "Yes, it was wolves just south of here," he explained, eyeing the marks that were obviously the deepest and causing the horse most of its discomfort and pain at the moment.

"That sounds lovely, thank you. How long do you think it might be until she's walking any better? ...would she be alright to keep travelling once it's done?

"And, um...how much will I owe you for this, Miss Petal? This is twice now that I am in your debt."

GoblinFae

She surveyed the work she was doing for a long time, taking into account the amount and depth of the injuries before replying. "She shouldn't be made to travel for at least another half a day. Even then she will not be able to be ridden for a week I think. It is highly inadvisable to use her to travel back wherever you are going. The natural dust and dirt of travel can infect her wounds and greatly worsen her condition. I would suggest you rent or borrow another horse if you are in such a rush to leave. You are more than welcome to leave her with me. You could pick her up on your next return here or I could have her sent back to you once she fully healed."

Ladybird fell silent again, letting the other man decide. She took extra care that every move she made was slow and every word she spoke was soft so as to not frighten her patient. "Such a brave girl," she finally cooed, rising to her feet. "I'm sorry I can't help more. My own horse is already on loan otherwise I would have let you use him." Her shoulders shrugged in apology. "Otherwise, consider the debt paid. Your willingness to accept help is enough for me."

"Petal!" a voice called from the gardens. "Pet-oh there you are. I was just wondering if you have any of the supplies ready since I was in the neighborhood." Ladybird blinked and threw on the mask she kept for customers. While the owner of the apothecary just down the street was one of her regular customers, he was also a man she wanted nothing to do with. "But of course, I see you have company," he exclaimed gleefully as his eyes landed on the stranger and wounded pony.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Another half day? At least another half day? He was sure already he could not delay, could not afford such a thing right now. It was a sheer lack of luck now, he was convinced, for all the times he had made this same trip previously he had never encountered so many problems, even collectively. The past half week had already left him a mess and this was just icing on his poisoned cake.

Realizing the new height of his problems now, he stood very still beside the stall door. On the outside he appeared rather stoic and unfocused, just staring off in the distance, but on the inside he was truly panicking now. Toren felt trapped, and rightfully so; he had no means of escaping what would most-likely befall on him after only just recovering from his latest bite on the previous morning. At minimum he knew that he would receive another. At least, if he were caught.

There were all sorts of schemes he was already starting to run through his mind for plausibility of keeping all or most of this a secret. Even the small hope that his master might never discover his latest screw up crossed his mind but the methods of implementation were...lacking with what he had at his disposal.

By now, his tenseness had crossed into a well-rehearsed mask of panic. Eyes that should have been wide and wild only flickered focus here and there as he pondered the possibility of just sneaking the horse out later without her seeing because, at the very least, he could not be late.

Furthermore, he had absolutely no way of explaining a bandaged-up horse where he neither did nor paid for the work. The kindness of charity, while appreciated by Toren himself, did not go "unpaid" in the Reolaris household in his experience. There was a price for everything. And, there was a way to twist just about anything in his master's favor, from what he'd seen. It was in complete horror he thought of how little protection he might be able to offer such a kind person should Akakios found out and decided he wanted to know more.

He'd been so quiet for a few long moments by now and it was only that silence that reminded him he needed to get it together and at least thank the poor woman for her offers and advice. Unless, of course, one could die under the pressure he was feeling right now. "I'll...think on it, thank you," he managed to speak through the tightness in his throat.

To drive him further into the cavernous pit he'd fallen into, he heard a rather familiar voice calling out to his new acquaintance. Wringing his hands with trying to rid himself of his now sweaty palms, he looked up and across to the man. It took him a moment too long to recognize after he'd already been seen and he did the first thing that came to mind now.

Slowly backing a couple of steps he gradually opened the stall door so as not to look in as much a rush as he was and slid inside with the hopes of hiding himself beside the mare with his back to the door as he proceded to make himself look busy with soothing the animal as the other man approached. At this point he just felt trapped and was pretty sure things couldn't get much worse than having to wait out whatever awkward meeting might ensue so that he wouldn't be recognized again. Toren wasn't aware, though, that the apothecary had already gotten a good enough look to know who was standing over in the barn.

Had Toren been watching, though, the twinkle in the other man's eyes was absolutely undeniable. "I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" he asked with feigned concern and wide, blinking eyes before adding with more of that bright, knowing grin, "...did you get a new horse? I could have sworn he wasn't so....dark. Or small."

GoblinFae

"Nothing for you to worry about, Agehneim," she replied coldly as she crossed her arms. Ladybird took a step closer to move past the man as she continued. "She is the horse of another client. You know that unlike some I provide my clients with the care they need no matter their situation."

He latched onto her, gripping her bicep tightly as he leaned down to sweetly utter poison in her ear. "If I do not have the best to provide my costumers it is only because you have not in turn provided me with it. Surely that was not what you were suggesting Petal dearest. Unless of course you were talking about your less than accepted methods of receiving payment."

At this his hand slipped down to pat her rear. An elbow to the ribs sent him away from her as she continued you on her way. "Will you be wanting anything else sir."
"Your hand in marriage perhaps. Or I know! How about some moonseed or angel's trumpet? You know how I have been craving for such pretty plants."

"I told you before, I'm not selling you poisons. You want that, you go find it yourself. I'm not being the implement used to bring about death." Her eyes glowed in anger as she headed for the exit. But, she did not make it far before a familiar hissing sounded from by Agehneim.

Rushing back she was just in time to see him pick up Fern and hold him smugly. "Ah then how about just some snake venom. You really wouldn't miss a pest like this now would you?"

"Give him back!" she cried fearfully, stretching up to try and get the tiny snake back. "Agehneim please! I've told you before to leave him alone. He's no use to you!" He laughed at her and held the snake higher and higher just out of her reach.

"Imagine, a pretty thing like you so protective over such a nuisance. I'm doing you a favor by taking him off your hands. I ought to snap his neck and save you."
"No!" she screamed, jumping to reach up higher. "You mustn't! Please, just leave him alone." Ladybird was very close to sobbing now in distress.

"Would you do anything?"
"Yes," she meekly replied.
"Say it."
"I'll do anything."
"Kiss me."

Brown eyes glared up at him in defiance before looking higher towards her dearest friend. She shuttered her eyes and swallowed her disgust. Leaning up on her tip-toes she moved to kiss his cheek and was forced into kissing his lips as he grabbed her chin and held her there. All the words she wanted to say though were silenced as Fern was roughly returned to her. Fearful for her familiar, she held him close and looked him over for injury.

'Vile man!'
"You shoulds let me bites him!"
'Are you alright Fern? I was so worried'
"Stupids! He can'ts hurts me. I'm invincible!" Fern bragged, wrapping himself firmly around his human's wrist. Ladybird pet his scales lovingly in relief.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Toren could practically see the tension in the air; it was obvious to him that these two knew each other in some capacity to be on a first name basis, at least from his perspective. Agehneim wasn't hiding the fact that he felt comfortable enough to put his hands on her, though, a fact that shocked him enough to do a double take. At the point that it turned physical he had no idea how he was going to get out of this situation without identifying himself to the apothecary; he had been to his home enough, on errands for Akakios, to not be recognized and surely he wasn't forgetful enough to not know his name.

The other man was so forward with Petal, but Toren had had no idea he was the sort to act this way in public. Moving himself away from the horse a bit to peer around her, he caught sight of the snake in the other man's hands and cringed at the woman's shrill cry, realizing it was a sort of pet of hers. He thought it rather interesting that Agehneim seemed to know her sore spots, but his threats to get something as petty as a kiss? There was something odd about his harassment, for sure, but he didn't have time to ask questions or think on it now if he wanted to stop it.

"Agehneim," he finally spoke with a voice not sounding as strong as he'd hoped it to. "Leave her alone. I'm here on business for Akakios and he wouldn't be pleased to hear I had problems because of you." Stepping out, he folded his arms loosely across his chest and leaned against the wall as he looked between the other two. Every glance to Petal pleaded for her to play along even though he hoped she wouldn't judge him for being a servant of his master's house, if she even knew who he spoke of at all.

Going past the older man to take the necessary steps to put himself in front of Petal, Toren cleared his throat before continuing, "If I recall correctly, his order was not prepared the last time I visited, sir. He's been generous as it is to give you extra time. Are you going to openly mock his leniency and patience now, and hinder his other affairs? I would be happy to go inform him that you have so much free time now and that, surely, his order is finally ready for him."

GoblinFae

Ladybird's brows knit together briefly at the sound of the unfamiliar name yet she remained silent as the other man stepped up for her. Her demure attitude could not last though as Agehneim began to sputter and accuse. "If your master has not recieved his promised order it is only because this little wench has refused to provide the necessary ingredients. She favors other clients over me and therefore will not sell what I have already paid for."

The botantist growled in disgust as her head shot up and she pushed her defender to the side. "How dare you! Agehneim you dirty snake, you accuse me with your half-truths! If you were stupid enough to make a deal that you can not fulfill then you should not blame me for your misfortunes. You have been aware since the beginning of out business together that I would not sell such things to you. If you remember correctly when you came to me desperate last week I threw the money back at you. I most certainly will not assist you in this pickle you seem to find yourself. Go find what you need yourself. I will not endager my life for yours!"

Her chest was heaving with anger as her fists clenched tightly at her sides. Fern's hissing rang loudly both in her head and her ears. Agehneim nodded his head in understanding and spoke much softer than her in reply. "Then you would be willing to tell my patron this, to explain to him why you refuse."

Aye, I must certainly would! I would explain it to the queen herself if I had to. I will not stand for you destroying my good name because yours is going down into the mud!"

The man smirked slightly as he turned to the manservant. "Then you will relay what the lady said to your master. I wash my hands of this. Ladybird Hornwort will personally inform him of my failings when he calls for answers." Had Ladybird seen the apothecary's smirk she would have been extremely unnerved by it. No one could be that cool or calm when their livlihood and reputation were on the line like that. Yet, she did not see it and therefore had no idea what she was allowing herself to be dragged into.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Toren couldn't believe what he was hearing as he watched the exchange. He thought about pleading with her to just do it and be done with it, that she was making a mistake in thinking she could handle this, despite how little he knew about her. He wouldn't do it, though, because of that very reason. Even if it might save her life, he knew that it was not his place to meddle with his master's affairs like this.

Her confidence was admirable, but he knew it would not be wise for her to bear such a risk. After all the news his master was going to hear, he was fairly certain that he would be in no mood to deal with a littler firecracker of a woman as well, especially just to have her telling him she was purposefully causing the delay in his orders. No, Toren already knew his master's patience for this sort of thing was usually minimal. Worse, she was already the woman he was trying to keep from him and she was making it too easy.

Now he had another name. He knew her business. He knew that Agehneim knew her, too. His dilemma was sparing her a few days more and have the apothecary tattle on them both or fess up and let the first source of the news be himself, which he knew would be both a blessing and horrible curse.

All he could do was glare at the older man. He wanted to scream that he was the sick, twisted man that he was, but Toren wanted no more punishment than he was already due. No doubt word of all of this was already going to reach Akakios somehow, some way. "I'll tell him what he needs to know," Toren finally spoke, trying to keep his voice level while glancing at this woman that had just talked herself into something truly dreadful, "but don't think he'll side with you so easily, you know how he loathes a sloth, Agehneim."

The older man breathed a satisfied sigh and cracked a toothy smile without missing a beat, thinking he knew what might be going on. "What business is it he could possibly have with her? I'm mighty curious, boy."
"It isn't my place to talk about that. You know I treat his matters with the utmost respect, sir."
"And you'd like me to respect that?"
"Yes."
"After you've gone and tried to embarrass me in public?"
"It was just a warning, and so is this." It should have bothered him how little this man seemed to care about crossing any line with him. It should have given him pause when he was so nonchalant about this. Toren was being backed into a corner quite easily and he didn't even know it yet. Right now, though, he was terrified of what was going to happen to himself and his acquaintance whom he, unfortunately, knew the name of now.

"I'll be on my way, then," Agehneim replied, his smile so prideful now. "Please do tell me what he decides, I can hardly wait to hear." With that, he was on his way back out to the gate with a final little glance down at the little snake coiled around Petal's wrist.

Toren watched him until he'd disappeared around the corner that he knew would lead him back down to his own shop, and he did not breathe a sigh of conflicted relief until then. Looking down at this woman he thought she surely could not know what she was speaking of before. "I really don't think you should talk to him," he immediately warned her, his eyes not settling on any one thing in his nervousness. "I'll take care of things..., sorry about your, um, snake, Miss."

GoblinFae

The botanist looked up at the manservant with a look of calculation. She weighed his words heavily, not willing to throw them aside, yet not willing to hold onto them either. "Familiar," she at last corrected, raising her wrist to bring his attention to Fern.

"While the offer is appreciated I do not need you to take care of things for me. I am a grown woman and more than capable of handling things myself. If your master is the sort to deal with Agehneim darker side of business then I know well enough to be wary of him. Those who ask for the deadlier poisons in such quantities and combinations is indeed a man to avoid."

Ladybird was not a stupid woman, naive at times, but never stupid. The stern expression she carried on her face melted away though to the cheerful smile of before. "I'm sorry that you can't leave sooner. I hope your master won't be too displeased with you. Would you like to come inside and have some tea? It would just be while you wait for the bandages to set."

Fern meanwhile was racing up his mistress' arm and moved to curl comfortably about Ladybird's neck. Beady eyes watched the other man intently, daring him to harm the woman. A thin tongue flicked out tasting the air, enjoying the nervousness he found coming off the manservant. In a show of complete innocence, Fern nuzzled his head under her chin, much like an attention-seeking cat would do. Ladybird's eyes lowered briefly as she smiled a private little smile and pet her familiar's head.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"Familiar? What's familiar?" he questioned, his brow furrowing in tense confusion for the brief moment it took to realize that she'd been talking about the snake. That thing. His thoughts were immediately carried off to more prevalent matters, though, and his heart felt like it was falling in his chest to hear such familiar words as hers. She was confident, to be sure, but bravery had yet to save any women misfortunate enough to claim his master's particular favor.

He was about to ask how she knew about the poisons Agehneim was making, but surely if she sounded this sure of it she had to know something, either from what he'd asked for -which Toren wasn't really that knowledgeable in all the finer details of poisons, only purposes Akakios wanted them for- or the loud-mouthed apothecary didn't care at all and openly discussed such things, or just that the information lied in what skills she already possessed. Either way, he knew pretty much nothing about any of it and didn't particularly care to start now. At least, he figured, he could credit her in knowing she should stay away from his master.

His master. As true as it was, he would be lying to himself if he ever tried to claim that it stung at least a little to be spoken of in the context of his position, to always know others knew he was under at least orders if not ownership proper as well. This woman, though, was offering up an odd mix of signals for him with how she immediately offered him tea as well. Petal, or Ladybird -he was not sure what was entirely proper to call her by now-, seemed not a bit distressed by the precarious position he saw her in now.

"Tea. Bandages. Well, wouldn't it be alright if I just walked her slow? Nice and easy, nothing too much...and I wouldn't force her, I'd stop right away if she needed it, and... I just really should be getting home, Miss," he confided, remembering the letter he was so aware of now in his bag.

With only a few glances to the seemingly affectionate and now-quiet snake, he cracked a nervous smile and stuffed a shaky hand in his pocket as he turned to walk back towards the stall the pony was resting in. His mind was made up: He had to get out of here and he had to go now. The sooner he was gone, the less time he'd spent here and the more he could conveniently "forget".

"I won't be bothering you with this again, Miss, but thank you for your help, it's been much appreciated and I'll be sure to repay your kindness somehow," he assured with a stiff wave of his hand before reaching for the door as his other hand flew out to take hold of the reins and give her a tug with big, pleading eyes. The mare was stiff and slow, but she did begin to move gingerly for him. "Come on, girl," he whispered against her cheek with a hung head as he led her towards the exit, albeit slowly in his ashamed beeline. It still wasn't too late. He could try and forget. He could be distant and avoid the subject, but he didn't want someone so kind to get roped into any problems with Akakios. It was obvious to him that she cared for animals at least, and he wanted no part in destroying another bright soul and warm, generous heart.

GoblinFae

Ladybird pursued her lips and resisted the urge to stomp her foot in agitation. She had done all she could to treat the horse. If the man would not listen and heed her advice she was helpless to do anything more. Her lips was nearly chewed through with the amount of words she was keeping locked up.

Finally unable to control herself anymore, Ladybird strode over to match pace with the stranger. "Sir, I can understand your rush. But, if you force her you could permanently damage the leg. She could be lame forevermore. Surely your master would be displeased with you if that were the case," the botanist tried reasoning.

"I can't force you to stay. However, I do advise you against going. Even the smallest amount of weight could pull on the tendons and muscles, worsening it. Then, there is also the infection I warned you about earlier." Her shoulders drooped as she stood on the barn's threshold. Ladybird threw up her hands in defeat, understanding that she would never win this argument. "I pray for your safe journey. Know that if you ever find yourself needing assistance Petal," she pointed at herself, "is always available to help."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He was terrified. Of what might come of these misfortunate days, of their misfortunate encounters, he was afraid. When he'd led the mare to stand just outside the barn, Toren finally gritted his teeth in frustration with his predicaments, of the defined line he tried to keep between home and the outside world being horrendously crossed already.

Already he knew that he was in danger in so many ways from the physical to the moral. He could see no promise of light to come, no break in the fence that kept him tethered to pasture. The river was soiled, polluted, and there was no way to cross it without succumbing and there was no way not to cross with the hounds at his back. Blinking slowly, trying to block the dark thoughts of the rough times and bad luck he was having, Toren finally turned his head to look at this woman beside him who seemed to think he was a far-lost cause.

"You do not know my master, Miss Petal," he finally spoke after letting her have her say. Still quite frustrated with the lot he'd been given and not seeing any relief in sight, the man stubbornly regathered the reins in his hand, twisting the stiff, dark leather this way and that.

"I accept my place in life, ma'am. It is not the best or worst by any means but I would appreciate it, if we should ever meet again, if you did not speak to me in terms of my master. He may do it," he punctuated with an irritated wave of his hand in the direction Agehneim had disappeared off in, "but he is wrong in doing so.

"It is enough to live under a roof of servitude, Miss Petal. I appreciate your help and concern. Really, I do. You...-- I hope you do not understand what he is, though, I truly hope so. I hope you do not know what he is capable of or what he's done because it is not a pretty sight. It is not a peaceful home. These are not peaceful times for us..." Realizing the length at which he'd been talking, Toren abruptly settled down. Slightly red in his cheeks from his irritation and riling himself up, he cleared his throat a few times and diverted his attention down to the most interesting pebble he'd ever seen.

"You are a very kind and gracious woman for what you've done for her and for me, but I will ask you now to please not take it upon yourself to confront him." It was the only warning he knew how to give. He did not want his position to be compromised and he did not wish to drag her into any trouble now. Already, he was going to have a hard enough time as it was to explain things without setting off Akakios on any of it. Whenever the apothecary decided to carry the story over as well...he would have to deal with that when the time came. Right now, though, he could certainly do without her actually trying to talk to the vampire.

"He is a man of little tolerance, in my experience. I promise I speak in your best interest when I say to keep away," he finished, glancing up at the small snake and then watching her in nervous quiet for a moment more. Then, Toren shook his messy hair out a bit while cringing slightly for the thin wrapping upon his neck that scraped over mostly-healed wounds there. Then, with a last nod to her, he took the necessary steps to lead the pony towards the gate and road.

GoblinFae

The woman gasped softly and blushed crimson, looking much like a chastised child. "Forgive me," she murmured, clenching her hands into fists around her skirts. "I meant no offense to you, sir. That was completely uncalled for on my part. I did not mean to imply that by having an employer you are somehow lesser when you are not."

As the stranger stared down at the ground, Ladybird stared off to the side, brushing a stray tear away. She made no move to follow as he went ahead but she did reply to his warning. "I have no interest in chasing after your," she hesitated looking at him as if asking permission, "employer. If he comes to me that is another matter but, because you asked it of me I will not make the journey to him."

She tried to offer a smile but, could tell that it would not do much. There was a weariness in this man that she could not reach no matter what she did. "Take care sir, and thank you. I hope I have not caused you too much trouble. Your words have been heard and will be heeded." The botanist bowed her head and turned to walk away as well, not willing to let him see how truly embarrassed by her own behavior she was. Even Fern remained silent and watchful where normally he would have fussed over her.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]