Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Yeah, This Happens a Lot [Shayde!]

Started by Blue, May 16, 2012, 12:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue

It really should be no surprise by now, but some days things simply did not go his way. Today was one of those days, but he was entirely oblivious to it - at least for now. He was currently staring with heavy interest at an assortment of colorful produce, often picking up a fruit or vegetable in order to marvel at it's shape and hue. The plump woman running the stall was talking a mile a minute, so quickly in fact that her voice had simply become background noise to his otherwise preoccupied mind. To be quite honest, he hadn't intended to stop here, but the woman had all but dragged him under the veranda to look at her wares. In the shade of the wooden overhang that jutted from the side of a building, there were quite a few stalls and tables set up with a whole assortment of different products to look over, and people were constantly crowding in and departing, their hands full and pockets lighter.
There was so much going on, he was having a hard time keeping up with the fast pace of these little humans, and they were not making it any easier on him. Every vendor seemed overly intent to pitch to him their very best of whatever they had to offer, and quite frankly it baffled him.

He was quite a bit more used to people stepping around him or giving him quizzical looks, thanks in large part to his overly tall stature and intimidating presence. He wondered briefly if giving up his leather pants in favor of ones made of cloth (still black, like the rest of his sleek outfit, from the high-collared long sleeved top to the tall boots) had somehow elicited this change in merchants in this city.
Little did Pyr know, but his well tailored suit was giving off the impression of importance - that he may in fact be a lesser noble with some coin to spare for the marketplace.
Unfortunately for everyone involved, Pyr generally did not have a single coin to his name.

In a moment, however, that would not matter much.

It started with a low, ominous creaking - just enough to get everyone to look around, and then UP, with curious stares. Missing the obvious cue, Pyr watched the people looking around with an equal level of curiosity.
And then the creak became a crash, and the entire wooden overhang came crashing down amid screams and a gratuitous puff of dust. It was enough to startle the crowd who had managed to avoid the falling debris, though a number of casual passers by had to duck and cover to dodge being hit themselves. While most of the unfortunate victims of this 'accident' were groaning and trapped beneath a pile of lumber, Pyr was left standing - albeit covered in dirt and looking terribly confused as to why a building fixture had just landed onto his head. Otherwise, he seemed completely unharmed.

Realizing the situation, he calmly stooped and began to lift large chunks of timber up off the poor peasants currently trapped, tossing them aside casually like they weighed nothing at all (though he was careful not to throw them at bystanders, he certainly did not wish to cause them any harm).

xxshayde

It was times like these that he despised his fellow gods for his fate. Here he was, the infamous god of war, veteran of a thousand bloody battles where he name alone inspired terror in his enemies - and he was stuck in a set of very heavy plate armor. Very hot, heavy plate armor in the middle of an uncomfortably warm day. 

Not only was he sticky and irritable, but he had been saddled with a pair of young recruits for patrol duty in Arca's market district, a stone's throw from the central square. It wasn't as if they had done anything wrong per se, it was simply that the poor bastards like to talk. Make that more like complain, actually. About the heat, how boring patrol duty was, how their friends got all the exciting assignments. 

On a more temperate day, Atreus would have simply ignored them in his usual fashion but today, he felt compelled to "boost" his men's morality in the best way he knew how. "Look, you two. It's hot and sticky and patrol duty is my least favorite waste of time, but if I have to listen to one more minute of your wailing, I'm going to run my sword through you. Then you can entertain yourself by rearranging your organs in the way they're supposed to be. Are we clear?" 

Had it been any other officer, they might have simply shrugged it off and muttered insults under their breath once his back was turned, but they knew well of both Atreus's prowess with weapons and and his sadistic nature. It wasn't a far stretch of the imagination to think he was not only capable of such a feat, but extremely willing. "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir." 

Out of the corner of his eye, he caught them inch away and snorted. Idiots. It had been just about time for the patrol shift to change when a loud creak of protest interrupted their trek back to the barracks. Brow furrowed, Atreus paused to look over his shoulder in an attempt to locate the source of the noise. 

Another creak and the thick, wooden overhang of a stall cart he'd been standing near tilted forward and finally snapped under its own weight. Gravity was one mean mother. "Move!" The rough shove knocked the civilians just in front of them back and into the front of a food stall, just missing a heavy piece of lumber that had gone crashing a hair to the right.

Before Atreus could completely dodge splintered debris himself, he was staggered by a splintered board that struck the right side of his head and opened a wide gash. The throb of instantaneous white-hot pain caused his vision to blur momentarily and he gingerly reached up to brush blood out his way in a bright smear of red. 

The market erupted into a scene of frantic noise: coughing, groans, shrill screams of names being called, the echo of rubble being scraped away in attempts to help out the people who had been pinned awkwardly.  

In the middle of it all was a dust-caked and confused looking man who rightfully should have been at the very least, wounded. To the contrary, he didn't have so much as a scratch - like hell  it was a random coincidence that he wasn't harmed and had been right in the middle.

"You!" Atreus drew his sword as he approached the man with an air of authority. "Is this your doing?"

Blue

(OOC: L-Lol I probably should have been more specific in my post XD The building itself did not fall on anyone, not even Pyr's 'bad luck mojo' could make a house levitate lol. I rather meant that the large wooden overhang/veranda had collapsed. Sorry for the confusion! >3< )

Pyr paused with a large support beam in his arms, cradling it with little strain, though it must have weighed at least as much as a horse given it's size. That voice sounded rather urgent, and seemed to be directed at him...blinking his blue-on-blue eye, the other ever obscured by his bangs, he turned his head to look at the man approaching him. Covered in a fine layer of dust and dirt, Pyr was only intimidating in size alone at that point, still standing a full five inches above Atreus and just as muscular - but the man was giving off an air of confusion, his head actually tilting slightly at the question.

The demon in disguise was rather curious about the knight's scarred face and unusual eyes, but it would likely be better to inspect them more at a later time. This situation seemed rather urgent - he could tell by the sword drawn and held between the man and himself (way to go Pyr, gold star for that observation).
"...Yes, I suppose, in a manner of speaking."
He answered, though he sounded rather unsure of himself, his one visible eye turning skyward for a moment as if he were pondering. Sighing in a puff of light powder, Pyr calmly set the huge piece of timber down onto the ground with a heavy thunk, away from the trapped peasants. Straightening, he glanced down at the chaos still at his feet, before staring unwaveringly down at Atreus.
"Sir, if it is not so much trouble, may we speak after I have cleaned up the mess? I fear many of the humanlings will suffer greater injury otherwise."
He had a polite, soft spoken air, but his sentence structure alluded to Common being a far cry from his natural language.

xxshayde

[oops, my bad! totally read it wrong. ^_^; fixed my previous post there.]

That hit to the head had evolved from what he thought was just a cut - a nasty one, but one nonetheless - to a sharp, pounding pain that seeped behind his eyes in tendrils. Injuries had never been a rarity for him - Atreus was the god of war after all. As a deity however, pain had never really bothered him and unless it was a brutal blow, he healed within minutes, making him a lethal enemy. 

As a mortal, his body now had this nasty habit of hurting and bleeding and taking twice as long to heal. Needless to say, Atreus wasn't fond of it. The elder gods were probably sitting on their asses right now, watching his plight and laughing. 

The thought only further frustrated him and the grip on his sword's hilt became white-knuckled. "That's good to hear," he growled sharply, irritation dripping from every syllable. "We can make this very easy and you come with me, or I can use my weapon and I can promise that won't go well." 

The confusion stemming from the man was off-putting - what the hell did he have to be confused about? Everyone else should be confused on why he did it, dammit! 

He neither obeyed not resisted, instead throwing out a concerned plea for the wounded. Now, he could either give the man a brief reprieve to follow through with his request or assume that it was just a ploy to make his grand escape. After all, who would stick around to be arrested? 

Atreus's gaze flickered from the stranger to the groaning civilians, pulling themselves out of the rubble with various noises of pain. Finally and against his better judgment, he drew back his blade though didn't sheathe it just yet. 

"If this is an excuse to try to run, know that I will find you, I will catch you and I will drag you back with me. And probably not with the same amount of blood in you as you started with."