Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Contrasting Chemistry

Started by miss_sanguine, November 10, 2011, 05:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss_sanguine

A city was Monnayage's favorite place to be. There were so many sights and sounds and smells—and people. He loved people, and there was no denying that Arca had a lovely and exotic assortment of inhabitants. What intrigued him the most were the women. They ranged from human to fae to who knew what else. And most of them were very attractive.

<Do try and remember that you're here for clothes,> Maneki said, her voice ringing through his thoughts. She butted her side against his pant leg as she walked. <Not for women.>

At this he smiled, a bit wistful. <Mm. Yes. Clothes.>The idea hadn't been very appealing when Maneki had suggested it, and it still wasn't, but even he knew where to draw a line. His shirts were all outdated and ragged, holes here and rips there. While he hated wearing shirts and avoided it whenever he could, he hated appearing unkempt even more. One as impressive and beautiful as himself did not go gallivanting around in straggly clothes, and with how often he visited public places where clothes were courteous, he needed some new ones.

It was a somewhat more tolerable task, however, being able to sightsee before, during, and after his shopping. He may have come to buy some clothes, but he had mainly agreed to the outing due to the prospect of meeting people.

He grinned at a group of young girls that were staring at him as he walked past them. Such a nice city, Arca. It never disappointed.

Rhindeer

Humans believed themselves civilized, but Aki found villages and cities to be wilder than any wood. They were noisy, smelly, and crammed full of life and activity and temptation. Over the course of all his visits, he'd seen females (and sometimes males) offer their bodies to strangers, savage fights break out, and had watched a wide variety of dramas play out with a variety of endings. It was like several hundred packs, several hundred different families, had all been squeezed together into the same territory--and yet there was some sense of order to it all, something he couldn't quite pinpoint.

It made no sense at all.

It was curiosity that kept bringing him back--and perhaps it helped that humans were also pack animals. Either way, he'd found himself spending more and more time in the city and more time in this shape while his sister largely avoided it and came only when she absolutely needed to; the place intimidated her and she hadn't yet caught onto proper behavior. For Aki, however? It was a playground, a place where every want and need was just a few coins away from fulfillment.

The trick was getting that coin.

Sniffing the air, the smell of livestock caught his attention, of goats and pigs and chickens, and he had to remind himself that he couldn't just do what he'd done last time again so soon. That had been a reckless move pulled off for shits and giggles with a poor, unsuspecting victim--and it was a wonder that he and Snowball had gotten out of there in one piece. No, if he wanted anything (and he was rather hungry, having spent the day hunting with no results before deciding, hell with it, cities were always stocked with food) he had to do it properly this time. With coin.

Or...

Another scent had caught his attention, one less desirable but decent enough: cat.

The city was full of cats. Cats one didn't have to pay for, cats no one paid attention to, cats that didn't belong to anyone. He'd eaten cat enough times when they'd wandered outside the city. Wasn't the best thing--they were too lean and barely more than a snack--but it wasn't terrible, and if he had the choice then he'd rather spend his meager coin on something he couldn't attain freely.

Doubtless no one would miss another.

Yet when he followed the scent to its source, he froze. Well. There was the cat.

Out on the street walking next to a human.

Huh.

Aki blinked, for a second confused (because while he got keeping and breeding animals to eat--pretty smart idea, that!--he didn't understand the concept of pets), before he shook himself and headed toward the pair to get the man's attention.

"So," he said, nodding toward the cat. "Are you gonna eat that or...?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

miss_sanguine

Monnayage smelled him before he heard him. That pungent musk of a canine. It was enough to make the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. There was also a feral tinge to it that he couldn't quite identify.

The source of the not-so-delightful bouquet surprised him a little. A man by the looks of him, but a dog by the smell. That was interesting, if also a bit alarming.

Lifting a quizzical brow, Monnayage looked down at what the stranger had nodded at, then looked back into the golden eyes. "Excuse me?" he asked. "Eat what? My cat?"

Waves of dislike were emanating from Maneki, waves that seeped into his own consciousness. She, too, could apparently smell the . . . off-ness of this "man." However, he wasn't going to let that stop him from being civil toward one that might not be civil himself. Did this man-that-assuredly-wasn't-a-man honestly think that he would—

<Of course one that smells like that would ask such a stupid question,> Maneki said to him, once again showing her severe lack of etiquette.

Rhindeer

"Well, yeah," Aki answered, as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. The look he gave Monnayage was one generally reserved for the very stupid--which was every human Aki had encountered, so he'd come to perfect it. They were just so oblivious, making him repeat and explain what was plain as day, like pups but less cute.

He rolled his eyes. "What else would I be talking about? Of course the cat! If you're not using it, I'd like to." There. He was even polite about it. Sort of.

Either way, the things didn't serve any other useful purpose that he could tell, but most creatures didn't. They fell into one of three categories for Aki: food, pack, or pest.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

miss_sanguine

Okay. He was wrong. The stranger had been serious.

Monnayage blinked, but quickly turned his confusion into a reassuring smile, feeling as if he were addressing a child. It didn't help that the stink of this guy set off this feeling further; every instinct in his body seemed to be telling him that this creature was an idiot. Were he not so bewildered, he might have laughed at the mere earnestness shown toward wanting to eat a cat. "I'm sorry, but she's not for . . . ah . . . eating," he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

<I don't like him,> Maneki hissed in his mind. <Tell him to go away.>

Instead he asked, almost mortified at what he would hear, "Do you normally eat cats?"

Rhindeer

"Not where I can avoid it," Aki said with a shrug. "Generally, they're too much trouble for too little gain, but I've never been picky."

Too furry, too little meat, and they were about as twisty as a snake with loose skin that made them difficult to hold onto. Not to mention the claws and teeth. They were more trouble than they were worth, but he'd found the domestic ones trusted humans enough to make it easier--the problem was that some were more perceptive than others, sniffing out his true nature and going on the defensive.

He'd had that trouble with dogs, too. He hated them.

"Why? Don't you?" he went on, deadpan, still eying the man like he was asking stupid, obvious questions.

miss_sanguine

Oh, Kia. This man ate cats! And he spoke about it like it was no big deal at all. The idea made Monnayage's stomach do somersaults. Deep down he'd assumed the stranger had been joking.

"Uh . . . Not really, no." He moved a little closer to Maneki, hoping to act as some sort of shield in case a random attack was in order. "I would never eat a cat."

Why was this . . . this dog-man talking to him as if he had dirt for brains? He wasn't the one going up to people and asking if he could eat their companions.

"Do you . . . ah, mind my asking who you are?" he asked. He'd been about to say, "what you are," but had decided it was a little rude.

Rhindeer

"Oh. Huh. That's odd," Aki said with a shrug and tried not to grin when he noticed how disturbed the guy seemed.

He hadn't really noticed it before, too intent on his mission, but now he saw it, saw the awkwardness, the disgust, the horror. He still didn't really get what the issue was, he was still hungry, and this man wasn't going to let him have the cat, apparently, but that wasn't really the point anymore.

Now he was seeing fresh opportunity, a chance to relieve his perpetual boredom with a little fun.

He grinned and held out his hand. "Name's Aki. Sorry if I, ah, startled you. I sometimes forget I'm not in Ketra, that people eat dog here, not cat."

miss_sanguine

All right. That did it. Now the guy was just messing with him.

Monnayage stared at the hand, all his senses yowling at him to not touch. Who knew how many cats this hand had slain? Who knew what stains of blood lay deep within the recesses of skin? But not shaking the hand would be rude, something he did not want to be at this moment in time. So he shook it, trying not to pull away too quickly, trying not to blanch.

"Ha. Nice try, Mr. Aki," he said, putting on a genial smile. "But I was born here. No dog dishes in Arca, I'm afraid. And I'm Monnayage," he added when he pulled his hand away.

Funny this guy would joke about eating dogs when he smelled so much like one. Was it a ruse to lead him off the scent? Or was he really just trying to freak him out? The cat part worked, certainly. The idea of eating dogs just disgusted him.

"Where might you hail from?"

<He reeks of wild dog,> Maneki hissed from behind him, peering out behind his legs with disdain.

Rhindeer

Aki grinned, flashing too-sharp teeth. "Oh, well I take it you've never been to the poorer parts if you believe that."

He let it go after that, though, and shrugged at the man's question. "You mean originally or currently? Currently, I'm from just outside Ketra. Little village, you wouldn't have heard of it. But I needed a change of pace and Serendipity is so much less rigid and--well, you probably don't care about the whole story and we're standing in the way of everything, besides."

Moving closer to the side of a building, he motioned Monnayage over. "Anyway, what about you and your..." His eyes flicked down to the cat. "...rat-catcher."

miss_sanguine

That grin. Monnayage got goose pimples again from the grin alone. Teeth that sharp were not natural. But he tried not to show his discomfort, hiding it behind his ever-present smile of false friendliness. Why did this guy make him so uncomfortable?

He didn't like to think that those in the poorer parts of his home city ate dog meat. It was true he'd never been there, being too rich himself to venture that far into the slums, therefore he ignored the bit about it.

Nothing Aki told him informed him of his abnormalities. So much for that.

Following the guy over to a building, he resisted the urge to run. Seeing the guy beckon to him like that made him feel like he was being lured off to his doom somewhere.

But then the question about Maneki shunned all other discomforts from his mind. Rat-catcher? Was that an insult? Maneki seemed to think so, ears flattening back on her head as she glared at Aki. <I am not a rat-catcher,> she said with obvious disdain.

"Her name's Maneki," he said, trying to hide the bitterness from his voice. "She and I were born and raised in Arca. Currently we're traveling around, though. Came here to do some shopping."

Rhindeer

Aki's grin broadened. "Oh, well, what do you know! So am I!"

Which wasn't a lie; Aki went through clothes quicker than he earned money to buy them. When he shifted forms, he had the annoying habit of forgetting to carry them with him and so, ultimately, they got left behind somewhere for some beggar or other to find. Besides, if he was trying to masquerade as a normal wolf, it was a little to do that when he had a mouthful of neatly folded clothing. What he was wearing was all he had and, frankly, they were starting to smell.

Not that he particularly cared; it wasn't like wolves bathed save when it rained and only reluctantly.

He slung an arm around Monnayage's shoulders as though he were an old friend, delighting in his discomfort and curious as to just how far he could take it. So far, the guy seemed to be tolerating him out of politeness--a human behavior that was always an intriguing curiosity to him. When someone got in his face and he didn't like it, they got snapped at. But humans just took it.

"So, what are you looking for? I may be able to help."

miss_sanguine

Everything had been fine, he'd been able to hold off his desire to flee all of this time, but when Aki reached out and put his arm over his shoulders, something in Monnayage snapped. He leapt away like he'd been burned, every hair along his neck standing at rigid attention and his eyes wide with feral fury and panic. Maneki, caught up in his feelings, started hissing and spitting.

This thing had dared touch him! The cat-like instincts in his mind roared at him, telling him this was not okay. Not okay at all.

There was no hiding what he'd just done, no covering it up with a simple wave of the hand. It wasn't normal what he'd just done. But neither was this stranger by the name of Aki normal.

He had to try, right?

"Don't!" he managed to say, then holding back on his inner need to growl, he said, "Ah . . . I'm not a big fan of . . . being touched."

Quick! Quick! He had to redeem himself. "And I'm out looking for clothes."  He forced himself to calm down, even handled a smile.

But it had touched him.

Rhindeer

...Well, so much for just taking it!

Monnayage's jumping made him jump and Aki released him quickly, a startled snarl rising in his throat before he could help it. He quickly smoothed out his expression and for a moment just stood staring back at the man, yellow eyes slightly narrowed, and for the first time it occurred to him that it wasn't just the cat he was getting feline vibes from. Something was...off about the man, something he couldn't really place, the look in his eyes far too feral. Which made it all the more confusing, because he seemed human yet there was a strange sense of otherness about him. The two elements didn't go together.

And that made him feel a little uneasy.

But he brushed that aside and forced himself to relax.

"Oh. Oh my. Do I make you uncomfortable?" Aki asked, eyebrows raised in feigned surprise. "I'm terribly sorry. I sometimes forget things here aren't the way they are back home."

miss_sanguine

"What?" Monnayage said, trying to laugh off the question. "Of course not. I just don't like to be touched, is all."

Where exactly was this "back home" that Aki was referring to? Did he mean where men that smell of dogs came from, or did he mean Ketra?

And he couldn't forget the predatory stare he'd been given after his outburst, those yellow eyes piercing him like knives and making his skin crawl.

Aki had touched him. The spot where the man's arm had come to rest still tingled, almost as if it burned—a tainted spot on Monnayage's skin that felt worse than the dirtiest of mud. Something no amount of scrubbing could remove.

It was hard to tell whether he wanted to hiss at the man or take off running. Maybe both. Maneki kept heckling him with options, each as rude as the next, her glare on Aki so strong he was surprised the man couldn't feel its burn.

"Ah, what were we talking about? Shopping? You wanted to come? I guess that'd be all right, if you can keep up." The last bit came out a bit more rudely than he'd intended, and he blamed Maneki and her harassing thoughts and feelings.

Rhindeer

[ooc: Sorry for the long wait! Dx Finally getting back into the swing of things. :3]

"Oh, I can keep up," Aki said with a grin. This one was so deliciously uptight, Aki figured he knew just the cure. Not for the guy's uptightness, but at least for his own perpetual boredom. Besides, the man was just begging for it. Anyone that serious was.

All that was left was to wait for the right opportunity. And like any good predator, Aki could be very, very patient.

Stepping close to the man, playing the part of a human with no concept of personal space, Aki started to steer them into the busy part of the marketplace. And hey, the personal space issues were not at all difficult to fake, especially when you weren't actually a human but were a creature who routinely stuck your nose in other peoples' arses by way of 'hello'.

"So, what is that cat of yours, anyway, then? Some sort of..." What did humans call them again? "...familiar? It's trailing you like a lost puppy," Aki remarked. Oh, he'd heard Monnayage call it a 'she' and by name but didn't particularly care. Besides, it seemed to annoy him.

miss_sanguine

He had hoped that by telling Aki he didn't like to be touched, the man would know to stand back. To his greatest disappointment and discomfort, however, it didn't happen. The guy seemed to take it as an invite to get closer and make him feel generally irritable all around. If only Aki were a woman and didn't smell of idiot dog.

In his general understanding of Aki's behavior, and the incriminating scent that automatically pushed Monnayage's mind into thinking brainless oaf, he couldn't help but dislike the man. He had little patience for idiots, and the way Aki seemed to herd him along like a sheepdog leading a flock, he wanted nothing more than to be rid of this guy.

Not to mention he didn't want to associate with someone that ate cats.  

Giving as friendly a smile he could given the circumstances, he said, "She is a Siamese, not a puppy." He didn't feel it wise to admit that Maneki was his familiar. As much of a dumb-ass this dog-guy was, he still screamed predator, and you never revealed anything to an enemy.

Not that he couldn't take him if the need arose. Monnayage was confident in his being able to outsmart Aki. It wouldn't be hard.

"I'm not too big a fan of dogs," he continued on.

Rhindeer

Nice dodge there.

Aki shrugged and flashed him a grin, careful not to bare his canines. "Oh, I'm not, either," he said. "Too big, dumb, and smelly. I prefer wilder, nobler things. Domestic creatures are nothing more than mindless slaves." He aimed a pointed glance at the cat as though it could understand him--which he highly doubted, too stupid for that, but it had been acting so prickly that it was almost like it could. Coincidence, no doubt; it could probably smell him for what he was. Stupid or not, scents never lied.

Which was why, as they headed into the crowded market, Aki lead them on a detour--a detour that took past the livestock at market today.

Penned goats started to panic, sheep started to bleat, and horses bearing riders danced nervously before they were reined in. Aki just played it casual, though he knew it was him. He smelled of wolf and even domestic prey animals were familiar with the smell, especially the sheep that often crossed miles of terrain with their shepherds to graze. What was more, even the ones unfamiliar with the smell recognized the fear and uneasiness of the other animals and it started off a beautiful chain reaction of frightened animals made only worse by the fact that they were all trapped or pinned or tied and thus couldn't escape.

This quickly filtered up to their owners, who had no choice but to try to calm their animals.

Aki jumped when a loud crash came from his right and looked as a skittish horse kicked over a crate of apples despite his owner's attempts to soothe it. Wincing, he looked to Monnayage.

"Uh...I don't think they like your cat," he said, a bit too loudly.

Loud enough to catch the horseman's ear.

He let out a series of colorful curses. "You! Get that damned thing outta here!"