Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Beacon of Hope [Rhi bby!]

Started by Blue, May 16, 2012, 12:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue

Inima damn it all, she had essentially cornered him in a way only words could. Calling on the truth of the cards...for him to reject that, he'd cast even more shame upon himself as one who lied. His jaw set beneath the cloth covering, muted eyes flickering with a number of different emotions at once. Anger was foremost among them, more of an annoyance really, and he again felt that strange quickening in him as though alive once more.
Finally he let out an irritated huff.
"Inima's breath."
His voice was a soft growl, but his shoulders slumped as if he were admitting defeat.

"The cards never lie..."
He muttered finally, as if in agreement. He may not be a fortune teller of any real skill, but he'd read the cards as they'd come, and he trusted well enough that he wasn't making things up. Still, it was a rather weak thing to base all this onto. And yet who was he to try and argue a warrioress out of such a thing? There was no tactful way to retreat, and a glance at the sword was enough to remind him that even undead, he didn't want to risk it.
Two souls? He supposed yes, he still had his, trapped as it was. He felt like a ruined thing, but even so he couldn't argue her point. Again. She seemed rather good at this.

Finally lifting his head so she could see the swath of dark skin and pale lilac eyes again, he had one white eyebrow arched slightly.
"It seems my Lady is perhaps as good at the fine art of persuasion as she is in swordplay."
He bowed then, slowly but deeply.
"I...I concede. I am...equal parts grateful, and reluctant. But, Goddess willing, we will...we will...fix this."
His voice trembled despite himself. It was a horrible thing, to have hope and despair dangling so close to one another. He stood gracefully, then swept into a more elegant Maoin bow.
"Bai Xue. I am most honored to make your acquaintance, Lady Warrior."

Rhindeer

The ghost of a smile curved Kuan's lips as Bai Xue bowed to her.

"Not all battles are fought on the battlefield," Kuan told him as she rose. "Some are fought with words. A good warrior should keep their wits as sharp as their sword, know when to use either, and keep both sheathed in polite company."

She studied him curiously for a moment, as though observing something in him, but whatever it was she didn't speak of it and instead moved on.

"Be grateful, in any case. The Goddess willed this, and it is a pleasure to serve Her."

Drawing her sword, she crossed it horizontally in front of her and bowed to him over it. "You may call me Kuan. My sword is yours."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

If she was half as good in a swordfight as she was in a battle of words, she was a fierce warrior indeed. He was still rather surprised at her ability to verbally back him into a corner so easily. After all, he considered himself rather articulate on his better days.
Well, today certainly wasn't one of those...

"Kuan, a pleasure. Thank the Goddess for your assistance."
He straightened gracefully as well, and then found himself at another loss. Well, willing or no, he now had someone insistent on helping. But what would be their first task? Would she insist on seeing one of the necromancers? He couldn't deny they would know more about this situation than either of them, but at the same time...he couldn't shake the fear that they might see fit to try and destroy him.
Shifting slightly, he gave her a questioning look.
"Have you...any suggestion as to where we should start?"

Rhindeer

At his thanks, Kuan sheathed her sword and regarded him thoughtfully. That was a valid question, and now that she'd made a big show of demanding to help him, she had better put some action where her mouth was. She hadn't actually thought of a plan yet, but admitting that would be the opposite of helpful and confidence boosting. She'd assumed the leadership role here, so she needed to act like one.

"The most logical step would be to visit Malai," she said, referring to the largest temple in the city, home to the largest library in Thanatos. "If we're to find information anywhere, it would be there, and there may be a scholar or two who knows something, or at least knows where to look." She looked over at him and gave a faint smile.

"This can't be the first time something like this has happened. However, there is one more step that should be taken before we travel to the temple. Or two, rather."

Kuan motioned to his little tent.

"Gather your belongings so we can leave. And then, I want you to tell me about yourself, and everything you know about your..." She lifted an eyebrow, not quite sure what to call his existence. "Existential crisis."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Blue

He was rewarded with a brief sense of relief at her initial response. To a library then, and not immediately to the nearest necromancer. It was a massively good plan, for within those many tomes, there was likely to be some information pertaining to his particular...condition. Naturally, even had he wanted to do something similar, there was no chance he would risk going into such a place on his own.
Now, however, he was not on his own.

As she looked to him, he respectfully dipped his head in agreement. He pulled it back up somewhat faster than intended at her last request however.
Ah yes, that terribly inconvenient 'existential crisis'. He couldn't decide if he wished to be cross with her, or amused. Were they to meet before his 'crisis', he might likely have rather enjoyed her company. Being somewhat embittered was certainly not helping of course.

"Yes, well. Luckily for us both, the first task shall not take but a moment. The second, while...necessary, I understand...is not something I...it is not so easy."
Again he couldn't quite put it into words without being horribly blunt about it. Instead he let out an unnecessary sigh, and turned to instead focus his attention on that first bit of business.
Truly all he owned were the clothes on him now, this small tent, and a rather substantial sum of coin which he had no need for.
The small box was emptied into one of three coin purses he carried under his many layers, and then the box ended up carefully folded up within the fabric that made up the tent and it's rug floor. All this was further wrapped and fastened around the slim yet sturdy poles, until all he had was in a neat bundle crafted quickly and gracefully.

"Well, my lady warrior, I would suggest we perhaps...travel a small way before discussing anything further."
In the light of day, in the open viewing of all, Bai seemed to visibly shrink further into his dark coverings. Right that moment, he simply wanted to be away from all these people, and their questioning eyes, and the possibility of being revealed at any moment. If Kuan wished to know more, she would have to wait until they were suitably alone first.

@Rhi-Rhi

Rhindeer

Ah. Kuan shot a glance around the area, bustling with people, and then looked back to Bai who was all packed and ready to leave.

"Well, I certainly did not mean now," she said, and motioned for him to follow her as she began to walk.

After a moment's pause, she added, "Malai is across the city, and by the time we reach it, it will be late. My suggestion is that we find an inn near Malai to stay at overnight, so that we have the entire next day to browse. You can tell me about yourself at the inn. Is that agreeable?"

Tags: