Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Medicine Go Down [Goblin]

Started by Juno, December 27, 2012, 09:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

He was late, but he wasn't worried about that. A cursory look around had him pinning himself as the best dressed and, in his mind, that already placed him far above all of these ants. Besides, the place seemed tacky to him. Dressed up nice, but if he pulled off all of the gaudy decorations he was sure he would find nothing worth calling quality in the craftsmanship. Still, it was a respectably sized hall and one large enough to conceal the friend he'd been searching for off-and-on.

It wasn't a party he'd normally attend, but he had come as a favor to Lucus. As far as he could tell from conversation, it was mostly a gathering of those of comfortable wealth: small-time landowners and the like.  He'd yet to hear someone speak of something that might interest him, that might lie outside the norm for these people he was quite sure had never set foot outside of Serendipity.

He wasn't interested in small town gossip or whose wretched son was marrying whose clueless daughter next spring. No, those were things he'd grown tired of hearing many years ago. It didn't benefit him. It didn't interest him. It didn't get him thinking or jumping at the chance to pipe in. It was all so predictable, so normal, and these people had nothing in their lives but themselves and the little mound of money they dared call a mountain.

Events were quickly reminding him of why he hardly ever bothered with people "like them" unless it was for a quick and dirty meal, which was gradually becoming far more interesting prospect to him as the first hour passed.  What might it be tonight? Old or young? Woman or man? He wasn't sure yet, but he stepped away from the wall to begin circling the room again, though this time with the leisurely pace of someone shopping a market. Wondering which wares he might sample first, dark eyes settling on each person he passed if but for a moment before he resumed his scan, unsure of what he was searching for just yet.

GoblinFae

Delicate hands pinned up the last wispy strands of moonbeam hair into its intricate loops and braids. The figure admired herself in the mirror just as a second pair of hands came to rest firmly on her shoulders. Amleah turned her head to rest her pale cheek against the back of her brother's hand as her eyes met his within the looking glass.

"Perfect as ever my sweet," he whispered down to her, rubbing his thumb against her soft skin. "Are you ready now? Wouldn't want those simpletons thinking they were better than you, now would we."

"Now brother, you mustn't forget you promised several of your dances to me. I would be bereft without such a smart figure in my arms."

The dark-haired man allowed one corner of his mouth to lift slightly while meeting his twin's gaze. "Never fear little heart, I will always be watching you. Now quickly before they forget us altogether and you are left dancing with the garden gnomes again."

"They weren't that short now. You make me sound like a giantess," the noblewoman protested as she alighted fluidly from her stool and took her brother's proffered arm. Together the pair continued out the door and down the hall to be paraded in front of an uninterested and calculating gathering before the true socializing could begin.

Both were well-suited to this atmosphere having been making their rounds in many circles in their own homeland thanks to Amleah's newer status as Tirial's High Lady. Ro'or soon broke away from his sister, allowing her to talk and exchange pleasantries with other women at the poor excuse of a ball while he prowled the shadows, an ever watchful eye on his hard to miss sister.

She was a tall yet delicate woman and many men had already sought her favor. He could tell that with each attempt she grew more bored and desired nothing more than to dance to the lively music the quartet was playing. But, the longer she waited the more desperate for his company and dependent upon him she became. He need not fear though for the only ones who could sweep dear Amleah away from him were those that could not only dance but rival his sweet sister in height. If there was anything the woman hated it was having her toes stepped on her partner's head level with her stomach.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

"No Pride For Some of Us Without Liberation For All of Us"
~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships
Tirial Province (Serendipity)

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Guilds - Under Construction and Revamping
Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

There was a gradual change in the energy of the room, of the way people moved. He could see that eyes were being drawn to one side of the room and everyone was gradually pressing in. Most importantly, though, he was quickly losing track of the more appetizing individuals of the gathering. His mouth twisted into a grimace as his eyes lifted to look across the room where most of the attention seemed to be now. His hardened gaze quickly settled upon a woman he was sure he'd never seen before.

The light, almost glowing nature of her hair had him briefly pondering the idea of her being fae or some other magical being. He could tell from where he stood that she was certainly the tallest woman gracing this hall, unless some other mystery woman should show her face tonight. He eyed the chattering swarm a few moments longer before he stepped off to circle closer into it.

Occasionally he glanced over at her, watching the amusing advances others were making. For several minutes he ran through the mental list of families he was acquainted with, just trying to place her somewhere. Who did he know with that hair? Certainly no one in Featherfall. Perhaps it was a local trait he'd yet to become aware of. But the further he went into his memory without turning up anything the more curious he became. 

All he could gather from the clucking of the circles of several women was that so and so had seen her at such and such, so he was going right to the source. As he approached her and was able to see more of her, though, he realized her height was truly her own and not enhanced in any way. A slow smirk rose to his lips instead now as he patiently waited for the man currently nearest to her to step away so that he could slide right into his place.

"Good evening, Madame," he greeted while bowing to her. Glancing over his shoulder as he rose and then directing his attention back to Amleah, Akakios flashed a knowing grin to the man who'd just departed. "I do believe we met just last week, if only briefly. I regret we never got to finish our conversation then, but...might we resume it now?" he asked, extending a hand to her. "Perhaps if we're lucky we'll catch the last half of this set, hm?"

GoblinFae

The whole thing was a bore. Ro'or had wanted to come for his own reasons but, he had also promised her that she could dance and as of yet all any male wanted to do with her is talk her ears off or gawk at her because of her height. It was all so very disappointing. And where was Ro'or in all this? Skulking around most likely, watching but never interfering with the High Lady's business.

Yet another guest greeted her and Amleah turned his bow with a small bob of her head. Her status was higher than everyone else's in the room and Ro'or would not approve of her bending to their levels. 'Even if I must bend simply to hear them.'

Her warm eyes traced up his lithe figure as he rose to a height higher than her own and she nearly giggled in relief. Finally someone she could lift her head up to instead of her down. Her poor neck had already begun to ache. He was certainly an interesting man to be sure, tall and quite confident in himself. 'He must think himself so suave and debonair. I am not so easily fooled.'

"I certainly would hope not sister mine," Ro'or's voice echoed back within the shared space of their mind. "Who is he? I do not recall his name."

"Nor do I, yet he claims to know me and have an unfinished conversation with me. Surely if you do not remember him brother, it is not true."

Ro'or shifted his position, weaving between couples getting cozy in the shadows in order to get a better look at the man that was currently vying for Amleah's attention. "Dance with him if you wish. I'm sure you can tangle him in his own web my little sparrow."

"Don't forget your own responsibilities to me brother. A promise is a promise," Amleah sent back firmly, her eyes drifting from the stranger to her relation standing in the distance. A smirk and mock bow was her answer before he once more preformed his disappearing act to watch her from a new vantage point.

Smiling coyly she once more met the gentleman's eyes, a knowing look set deep within her chocolate orbs. "I would be delighted to take a turn around the room with you. Ladies, if you'll excuse me," she bobbed her head this time in dismissal, already turning to head to the dance floor she had be dying to be on since she first left her room for this farce of a ball.

"Now I do believe that we were cut off before you can answer my question last week. I am quite glad you'll now have the chance as I have been curious to know the answer."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Blood of Ash || Cleara Verdad || The Creoptera || The Reaper's Chalice || The Runner's Society || Vigilant Shadows

Characters
Agapito Perlaceo Calogero-Marcello da Lume || Ainsley Muir || Alanna Mercer "The Lioness" || Amleah Dvorak || Ariel "Owlet" Sowa || Artorius Winterbottom || Aurora "Makani'kai" Wiater || Autumn Laurel || The Bad Barkers || Benjamin Hase || Cally Foster || Cornelia Grey || Dagrun Baarda || Derrick Elthif || Donovan Cabello || Eireann Lehr || Elmira Sassafrass || Emma Fiore || Emyr Kasabian || Ferra Bestley || Fintan Kfir || Gilroy Bleddyn || Hanalei Keets || Hilarius Winterbottom || Imogene Khale || Incana Winged Blaze || Inteus Wapapow || Iorwerth/Ylli || Ithel Conlaoch || Justina Allons || Jypsei Danzer || Kailee Glint || Kaliko || Keegan Phillips || Kendall Wendle || Kenneth Kent || Kesrel Torv || Kharn Segal || Kirsikka Solvi || Ladybird "Petal" Hornwort || Lassassasya Ashaugh Seocss || Logan "Kotori" || Lorcan Dempsey || Malakai || Margot Lemaire || Maverick Alinari || Morgan Loone || Naomi Kita || Navarre Esken || Ocarern Farwind || Oddmund Greatdrool || Oliver Cabello || Pannoowau || Peregrine Liebling || Primrose Dragoslav || Pyske Daas || Qaletaqa || Quilla Anobe || Rene Zephra || Riley "Minnow" Bellerose || Ro'or Dvorak || Rosie || Rowan Alvar || Rylan Silvanus || Segari "Errum" Ggorf || Shamira Kashi || Solanacae || Sor Avi || Squeaker || Starbright Skye ||  Tiraris Silverd'art || Tighearnán High Eoforwine || Theodore Archer || Tyler Brice || Una Ornell || Vanora Partholon || Waman Pertinacity Sewati || Weilen Brunbek || Wilbur "Wilby" Smalls || Yalwa al-Kahinah || Yasmine Fairchild || Yura Elek || Zhirai Ver || Zurna Nali
[close]

Juno

He was surprised at the small gestures she made and almost turned to see what was so interesting to her across the room, but instead he remained politely waiting before her.  Once her attention was finally upon him again and she granted his request, though, he was a little taken aback that she did not take his hand or motion to take his arm instead. Slowly, he let his arm relax again to rest against his side. He had no idea of the private conversation taking place elsewhere.

Turning with her instead, he stepped off to walk her out to the edge of the group while curiously eyeing her from the corner of his eye. "I'm touched it's been on your mind all this time. Such a simple thing, really, but I'm glad we meet again.

"Are you fond of the sea? It's quite a lot like her. Endless. Dark. Very easy to become lost in, yet it gives you a sense of warmth and comfort...reassurance, if you will, as it leads you further in. Like a living thing itself... I wonder if they are enchanted sometimes," he pondered as he led Amleah into the quick steps of the dance.

"But it's all a trap, you see. Not in the physical sense, but once you see the beauty of it...it's difficult to let go, to turn on it when you know what lies in waiting. Many greedy men have died for the chance to steal from it... I've yet to hear of a single success, though, but that's all so dark and gloomy. Surely there must be something else you're more interested in now, fair lady."

GoblinFae

She gasped softly in mock surprise even as her feet nimbly kept up with him and added a few flourishes here and there. "Oh dear! Already you have forgotten my interest in dark and gloomy things. I fear that I am of no interest to you anymore, how dreadful!"

"He's an observer. You caught his attention, I doubt you have lost it so quickly."
"And you would know this, how?"
"I'm offended! You don't trust me? Your own brother?"

Amleah whirled in a gentle spin her eyes searching for her twin and came up with nothing before returning back to the intriguing gentleman's arms. "Ro'or!"

"I've been watching him."
"Now was that so hard?"

The young woman got a sense of amusement from her twin but no words met her inquiry as expected from the brooding man and his secretive ways. Instead she brought her attention back to the man dancing with her in perfect rhythem. 'He's like a dream. Better than even you brother!"

"So tell me good sir, whom did I drag your interest away from tonight? Or shall I guess? I'll bet she was a pretty little thing. Perhaps with fire in her eyes. Or are you the kind of Lordling who prefers a woman with moonbeams and starlight?"

"You're shooting in the dark. Careful sister."
"It is a noble ball-"
"For lesser nobles. Do not forget your place, you have a long way to fall."
"And you to always catch me. Who is he, anyway?"
"Interesting," Ro'or replied cryptically before falling silent.

He had found himself a perch in the shadow of a staircase where he could comfortably watch both his sister and her dance partner. Around him people chattered behind their gloved hands about the pair and every other bit of gossip they could muster. But, as of yet none was interesting enough to catch the lord's attention. He knew his sister was a far better source than these petty fops. Amleah's charm had won over many before and would do so again, if her brother had anything to say about it. This man was persistent and Ro'or liked it. Both parties knew their conversation was a lie of an introduction and yet both upheld it as if it were true. The longer it held together, the better a fabricator. Lord Dvorak knew his sister, the real question was, how well could this newcomer play their little game.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

"I assure, you madam, I am interested," he chuckled under his breath, though he let the dance lead them on. He was ignorant to the silent conversation going on across the room.

He twirled her in his arms, smirking at her questions. "I assure you you are the only woman worth my attention tonight, lady," he replied, amused at how her questions seemed, typical of women to want to know their competition. "I quite like your moonbeams, though," he added, brushing a finger to the light hair dangling  just above the nape of her neck as he looked into her eyes, "And your starlight."

GoblinFae

"You sly fox you," she chuckled, genuinely amused by his charm. "Stealing my words and casting them back at me, are we? Have you no shame? Or is it that you can find no better words?" Her cheeks warmed from both the dance and his touch. It delighted her to have this kind of attention. It was a breath of fresh air to be sharing in playful banter and mystery instead of inane gossip and political maneuvering. The fact that her dancing partner for the moment was both attractive and good at playing along only served to make it more enjoyable.

"So tell me, sir, what brings you here tonight? I must admit that after last week I did not think I would find someone like you in a lowly party such as this. You're too fine," her eyes playfully looked him up and down as the corner of her lips lifted, "a gentleman to be resigned to this sort of gathering. You could not have known I would be here, when we only decided to come this past week."

She leaned in close and conspiratorially, her cheeks appearing rosy under the ballroom lights. "Unless of course you were just hoping I would be here. Pining away and turning up at every event in dire straights to see me again. No, I don't think I believe that. Again, you are too fine for that," Amleah chuckled.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

He would let her think what she would; no words from his lips would convince her of any wit or talent he possessed. It was a curious thing, though, to find her playing along so well. Her quickness, playful as it seemed, reminded him he should be cautious of her even though he was terribly curious of his mystery lady.

"Forgive me, lady, but 'we?' I apologize if I stole you away from your partner tonight," he said with a solemn note, glancing about the room briefly to see if they were being watched, though he didn't meet any eyes immediately. "I confess, I hoped, but I didn't know you would be here tonight. I'm glad I caught you.

"No, I'm here as a favor of sorts. Are you acquainted with a Mister Renwick?" he asked, bringing her close for a moment as they swapped sides. "Or the hosts?"

GoblinFae

Amleah blushed and looked away, as if the realization that she was dancing with another was shameful. "Aye, he shall not mind it though. He is always so busy," she sighed wistfully.

"Come now dear sister, surely that is not true. Have I done you so much wrong, you must paint me in such a poor light? That's hardly fair."
"You still have yet to dance with my brother. I will hold you to your promise."
"I would hate to break the two of you up."
"Do we know a Renwick?" she mentally asked, brows furrowed in thought.
"We do not."

"I am familiar with the hosts but I'm afraid I don't recall meeting a Mister Renwick," the high lady stated slowly, still pondering the thought. "Is he here tonight? He sounds vaguely familiar," she lied, "but I really can't place a face to the name as it were. To which industry is he affiliated? He isn't old money, is he? So few here, are." A hint of disgust filled her tone, as was expected of her station.

The niggling thought, voiced by her own twin within her head only fueled her shame and flushed her cheeks. "Of course, you of which are not."

Shaking her head, she tried to ignore him and stumbled in her steps instead, bringing her back to her dance partner whose foot she had accidentally trod upon."Forgive me, sir. It seems my mind wanders far from where my feet try to lead it. I did not hurt you too badly, did I? I do not know what has come over. I am never this clumsy." Amleah stopped dancing, a worried frown creasing her brow. She felt slightly light-headed and wondered how long before food was served. Hopefully it would not be as long as the higher class balls she had been to where everything stood on ceremony making the night drag on without end.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Relieved to hear her assurance, Akakios danced on with his partner without issue. He was surprised to hear such frankness in her tone regarding Renwick's wealth. Chuckling some, he lifted his chin proudly and said, "Not old money, no, but he certainly has a sizable estate to his name. Still, I understand many see differences between old and new money."

As she stumbled and her shoes scuffed at his boots, the vampire slowed to a halt as he noticed her stopping. "It's nothing, really. I hardly felt it at all," he tried to assure her, though he moved to guide her from the dancing crowd now at her admissions. "Perhaps we should sit instead," he suggested, though he was already leading her towards the hall they would be dining in soon enough. "Would you like some water?"

GoblinFae

She followed his lead gracefully, leaning lightly on his arm. "Aye, taking a bit of a rest does sound like quite a good idea. I just don't know what has come over me all of a sudden. I do admit to feeling a bit faint although I do not wish to trouble you my lord. Please take no worry for me. I will be fine in no time," Amleah assured him as she moved to take a seat in the hall.

Her skin was pale beneath her makeup and she placed a hand to her heart while lightly fanning herself. While it was in part show for one male, the display had not escaped the notice of another.

"What ails you sister," rang the sultry voice inside her head.
"A touch of hunger is all. Nothing to fear brother. I've had worse before." Even as she said it though, Amleah could feel the brief flashes of displeasure sliding from her brother's side of their bond. She knew how he hated any reminder of their past suffering, especially hers.

"Send him away. Dinner is almost served and I will escort you." Her head inclined almost imperceptibly in response. Amleah knew her brother would not be far. He never was.

"I'm sorry to be such a disappointment this evening my lord. Perhaps though your evening is not completely ruined and you can still find another young lady to sweep off her feet before the night is through. I'm sure that wouldn't take much effort for a man such as yourself," she spoke slyly with a twinkle in her eye and a faint smirk on her lips.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Though her words were spoken like a true lady, Akakios had seen enough of human nature in his life to know that something was bothering her. He just hadn't figured out what that was yet. Standing before her, he glanced over his shoulder at what he could see of the crowd gathered near the doorway. It would only take him a few moments, he was sure, to go get her something. Drawn back to her as she spoke though, his own lips mirrored hers as she gave him compliments.

"You are no disappointment at all. But...you imply, my lady, that I would catch the attention of some other fine young lady in attendance. I can only say that, through my experience, such a woman as you rarely appears twice. Though I thank you for your well wishes," he teased, winking and stepping aside as he heard a small group come through the doorway.

"You are a truly exquisite dancer, you know. That is so rare these days," he sighed happily. The clinking of crystal in the distance reminded him of his earlier offer, though. "I'll fetch you a glass of something cold," he stated, bowing to her with a great depth he reserved only for a select few. "And if you're feeling better later, I would love to catch up more. Perhaps over another dance or two." The vampire smiled warmly as he rose, an expression he had mastered down to the smolder. And with that, he turned smoothly and strode fluidly back to the main hall to fetch the vessel he had promised.

GoblinFae

Amleah smiled honestly while a faint blush warmed her cheeks. "You flatter me sir but I do believe you are mistaken. There are many other flowers out there just as pretty if not prettier than I." Her eyelashes batted slightly so that she was looking up at him through them. "You are too kind."

She reached out to protest but he was already leaving her so she let it fall once more to rest limply in her lap. He was gone from her sight but a moment before a shifting in the shadows beside her alerted the High Lady of her brother's presence.

He observed her silently a few moments before finally speaking. None of her interactions with the other nobleman had escaped his notice. "You're smitten," he accused, helping her to her feet.

"I'm bored," she countered coldly while glaring up at him. What few ever realized about Amleah was that she could be just as unforgiving as her twin. Ro'or made a note to himself to give her more than once dance that night. It would not due to have her furious with him on the long ride home they would be sharing in their cramped carriage.

"Forgive me then, my dear. I thought you were enjoying your little game. If I had known you needed a rescue sooner I would have jumped to your aid. My sincerest apologies," he intoned while bowing deeply before her.

In the main room a gong sounded, signaling the readiness of the evening meal. As one, the noble twins linked arms and began to join the other guests on their way to the dining room. As honored guests the Dvorak twins were expected to sit near the head of the table, so Amleah did not expect to see her former dancing partner anywhere near her as well. A part of her regretted not being able to converse with him longer. She only hoped that Ro'or would find out more information on him so that she could return to playing her little word games again.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Melding back into the crowd, Akakios ignored the chatter swirling around him as he had drinks poured: water for her and a tall glass of wine for himself. It seemed that his hands would be full for quite some time yet, though, as he heard the gong to announce the beginning of the meal. Turning to face the wide doorway, he stared moodily at the gathering of people all trying to squeeze inside as politely as possible. He hung back a bit, not wanting to get jostled for the full glasses in his hands. At least he was glad he wouldn't have to wait now to be served a drink.

Suddenly, the annoying chatter all around grew louder and far more grating upon his ears. Keeping a level head, though, his eyes scanned his surroundings until he made contact with a familiar pair well beyond the other side of the doorway. Comically making his way against the flow of the crowd to join Akakios, Lucas Renwick waved as though the fellow nobleman had never looked at him at all and he desperately needed to catch his attention. "I'm glad to see you made it!" he greeted once he finally reached his friend's side. "I've been looking all over for you. Where have you been?"
"I haven't been hiding, I've kept in plain sight," Akakios remarked with a shrug. "Perhaps I'm becoming better at hiding. Or your eyesight is going."
"Oh please don't say that," the younger man chuckled. "I'm so glad you came, though, really."

"I'm here because you wanted me here. I would never abandon you at such a sad little party," he teased, shrugging. "Besides, I'm interested in what I can find for a meal while I'm here."
"I would be careful if I were you," he warned playfully, knowing full well that he never knew the vampire to act rashly. "But don't call it sad. I think you'll be pleased to meet the hosts and their guests tonight."
"If you insist," he yawned, bored already at the prospect of sitting through a meal he could not partake in.

Once the flow of foot traffic had dwindled and had all but died, the pair walked side-by-side as they entered the hall they would be dining in tonight. The room was buzzing with chatter but he was focused on following his friend as he led him down towards the head of the table. As they walked down the long room to get to the other end, though, he scanned the table for the woman he had been dancing with before. Not seeing her, he was disappointed and thought she might have vanished in the night to leave him stuck with both glasses and an empty stomach.

GoblinFae

Ro'or escorted his sister to the dinner table, pulling out her chair and helping her to sit before joining her in the seat to her left. They were together seated to the left of the head of the table and their host. The hostess sat to her husband's right and beside her were two as of the moment, unfilled seats. He watched as his sister made smalltalk with their hostess, holding both the Wechslers' attention while he surveyed the table-settings and those in attendance.

The fact that the seats across and diagonal to him both remained empty even as the host called for the room's attention and introduced him and Amleah as the guests of honor only served to further intrigue and disgust him. The amount of rudeness in such highly placed guests was ridiculous. To be placed so close to the head of the table and not be in attendance was appalling. He was not surprised that those in attendance here were in such dire straights for attention. Such was the way with the lowly nobles that fed from their higher up's tables like dogs.

The High Lady's adviser was therefore intrigued and disappointed all in the same breath note that the empty seats were being at last filled by an obnoxiously exuberant man he had been avoiding being noticed by all evening and the man who had been dancing with his sister not much earlier. A glance to his right told him Amleah was still in deep conversation with Lord Wechsler about something silly and had therefore not noticed the presence of the other two men.

'Social climber, I might have known that was why you were after her. How droll,' he mused boredly. Amleah sensing his thoughts but not hearing them sent him a questioning mental nudge while not outwardly appearing any different.

"All's well, brother?"
"Just another disappointment, my dear. Nothing to worry about," he assured her while taking a sip of his wine.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

As they finally reached their places at the table Akakios didn't even think to check further up the table, for he had not assumed the woman he had been dancing with before would ever be seated ahead of him. Sitting down, he was pleased to find that he would be spared the awkward conversation about his lack of a human appetite given that his seat was free of plates and only a neatly folded napkin was set before him. Setting the glasses down, he turned to Lucas, who was already deep in conversation with the woman beside him, and whispered his thanks for his friend's forethought.

Getting settled, he sat up straight again and looked across the table at the dark-haired man and nodded in silent greeting as he lifted his glass of wine to his lips, a small twitch of a smile visible there. He had no idea who the man was. As he took his drink, though, a familiar voice caught his attention. Smiling knowingly to himself, Akakios set his glass down and watched the conversation patiently, wondering how long they might be entrenched in it.

It was only a few minutes before he felt a slight lull in the conversation. He seized the opportunity to lean across the table and place the glass of water in front of the light-haired woman. "Madame," he greeted kindly, not wanting to interrupt them yet happy he had his prey in his sights again.

Before long he felt a slight tugging on his sleeve and heard an excited voice at his ear. "That's them! That's her," Lucas practically swooned, trying to point discreetly at the pair beside their host.
"Her?" Akakios questioned in a hushed voice, his brow furrowing in confusion.
"Yes! The-" He was cut off by the arrival of their first course, and all but Akakios receiving a plate. "This is why I wanted you to be here," he continued excitedly, grinning with glee as he looked between the siblings.
"Don't just talk about them, Lucas, they're right here," Akakios prompted him, rolling his eyes in irritation.
"Oh, but... I-I don't want to interrupt her, she looks busy," he whispered back, very concerned about Amleah though his eyes lit up as they settled upon her brother.

GoblinFae

Amleah looked over to the placed glass in surprise moments before allowing her gaze to rise up the connecting arm to the smiling face above it. Unable to to address him properly due to her current conversation, she nevertheless gave him a gentle smile and bob of her head to indicate both her own greeting and her thanks. The noblewoman made sure to take a sip of the water soon after while watching the lord from the corner of her eye.

The arrival of the first course allowed a break from conversation with her host, to listen to other conversations further down the table. She was surprised to find such an excitable man talking about her quite obviously as if she was not even there. The shock coming from her brother only made the situation even more amusing. It seemed that she was not the only one caught off-guard by the pair.

"Still disappointed?" she asked innocently, amusement dancing through their mental connection.
"No need to feel so smug sister mine. It just seems your dancing partner is a bit more strange than originally expected."
"What do you mean?" Amleah questioned back while taking a bite of her food.
"Have a look for yourself," came the immediate response.

She took another sip of her water and was surprised to see that no plate had been placed in front of the dancer. Smiling brightly though, Amleah looked over to the energetic man and decided to address him first since he seemed so keen in speaking of her within her earshot.

"There is nothing that you would be interrupting me with at this moment if you are so inclined to discuss me. Although I do believe your friend," the noblewoman turned her head to look at the handsome man across the table from her brother with a fond smile, "is quite correct that it is better to ask than talk about someone when they so close to you.

"To you sir though," she addressed her dancing partner, "I must ask your understanding. I had not meant to abandon you when you so graciously left to bring me a drink. Unfortunately, you must understand that duty calls." Amleah beamed, "my heart is glad though to see you so soon again. Thank you for the water."

"Ask him about the food," Ro'or interrupted her.
"Ask him yourself if you're so impatient. Otherwise wait for me to do so in my own time," was her sharp reply as she cocked her head to look to her brother with a complacent grin.
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]

Juno

Startled at being addressed directly by her, Lucas was quick to make an apology for being caught talking about her. That, he feared, was a most embarrassing first encounter with the High Lady. Akakios, though, was nothing short of amused for seeing his friend at such a loss for words.

As she addressed him he was careful to maintain eye contact and bowed his head for her praise. "You are very welcome, fair lady. Do not be bothered by such a minor thing, it is hardly worthy of the worry. Though, I certainly understand you have other obligations." He looked to the host and his wife, a gentle but knowing smile slowly creeping to his lips despite his lack of a name still for her. He could only guess that she was quite important for Lucas to want them to meet. His eyes finally settled upon Ro'or for only a moment before Lucas was again at his ear.

"Can I say something now? Is this too forward?"
"Of course not," he tried to assure him, wondering why on earth the man who was usually such a social butterfly was now flustered and uncertain in the face of conversation.

To Amleah, Lucas finally greeted, "I am sorry that we could not have met sooner, Lady. I am Lucas Renwick, a friend of our hosts this evening." He shot a gracious glance to the pair. "I expect they've kept you busy?" he assumed.

GoblinFae

Amleah gave her attention to the very sociable gentlemen, feeling the pricklings of her brother's irritation in the back of her mind. She could tell that he was displeased with her lack of attention towards the man he wanted to know more about. Their methods for getting things done were certainly quite different. He would just have to be patient.

"Ah!" she exclaimed leaning forward conversationally. "So you are the Mister Renwick I have been hearing about. It is good to at last put a face to the name. Our hosts have indeed been quite good to both myself and my advising chaperone," Amleah waved fluidly to Ro'or seated beside her. "Thank you for inquiring."

Her twin on the other hand sat straight-backed and impassive while observing both his sister and those interacting with her. As the appetizer course was taken away and a salad brought in its place, he took special interest in the continued lack of a placement for Amleah's dancer.

"Amleah," he practically barked.
"Ask him yourself," she flippantly replied, knowing it would make him bristle.

"However, Mister Renwick I have to say it was our mutual acquaintance," she beamed, looking to the man across from her brother, "who has kept me quite busy this evening. He is quite the dancer. I enjoyed myself thoroughly in his presence."
,___,
[O.o]
/)__)
-"--"-

~ Micah Bazant ~

Spoiler
Leaderships

Talu Territory (Adela)

Ninja Flamingos

Characters
[close]