Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Something like home (Highway!)

Started by Zero, February 25, 2013, 12:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Nisha watched Kyt until he was out of sight. Instinctively she worried about him and probably would until he returned. Still, there wasn't much she could do, and even if she'd gone with him she'd have just gotten in his way. Instead of focusing on her worry, she turned to more productive things.

By evening, she had visited the farmer that owned the house they were using and returned, feeling in rather good spirits. Things had gone as well as could be expected. She now had permission to fix-up and live in the old house. Not that the farmer thought she would accomplish much, but they were decent people and they had felt sorry for her and Kyt's plight. Eventually she decided that she would buy the house and a small patch of the surrounding land. Somehow she'd earn the money and repay the kindness.

For now she hummed softly as she cooked supper, a rather nice supper, she was pleased to say. Chicken and dumplings. Spending some of the money Kyt had left her with, she'd managed to work out things to her own satisfaction. They would have a delicious, hot supper tonight. She could also hear the soft clucking of hens as they settled down for the night. The six birds were worth far more than she'd paid for them, but the farmer had been a pleasant fellow to deal with.

Now all she had to do was wait for Kyt so she could tell him what she'd managed to accomplish for the day, which was, she thought, impressive enough.

TheHighwayman

When the healer returned, his spirits were just a little lower than they had been at the outset. After buying himself a small lunch while he was in town, his earnings for the day made up an extremely paltry sum. He wasn't entirely dejected over it- in fact he'd half expected to have even less lucky than he had been- but it certainly dampened his spirits a bit. It helped a bit that he sensed Nisha had succeeded in whatever it was she'd needed to take care of- and more, possibly, but he still felt a little bit disappointed in his own performance. Keeping it well hidden- no need to worry Nisha over something like that- he quietly slipped up behind the girl and said, "Well, you seem to have had a fruitful day."

Kyt sat down nearby and laid out his meager supply of wealth. "This was all I could manage- sorry. I doubt it could buy more than half a loaf of bread." Leaning back until he was lying down, he folded his hands. "That smells good. What are you making?"

Then he noticed the hens. "Wait a minute, did you actually manage to...?" Shaking his head, both impressed and bemused, he muttered. "So in the span of one day, you manage to get yourself livestock- albeit small livestock- a decent meal, and very possibly more, if I'm not misjudging your spirit right now. I, on the other hand, managed to get half a handful of copper coins. Remind me which of us is a burden?" He chuckled and turned his head towards Nisha. "Do you need any help with that, by the way?"

Zero

Kyt was certainly a quiet man, much quieter than most humans she'd ever encountered. Still, she wasn't completely surprised when he suddenly appeared behind her and spoke. That she'd been expecting him was probably the biggest thing that kept her from being startled.

Nisha watched him with a frown as he laid out the money he'd earned and apologized for there not being much. The idea of him apologizing seemed...absurd. Kyt didn't have to earn any money to share with her, so how could he be sorry for not bringing a very much back? She thought about pointing that out to him, but decided to instead bite her tongue on the matter. Hopefully her accomplishments would cheer him up. Supper certainly should. "Glad you asked! I'm making chicken and dumplings."

Her tone was cheery, and then her smile turned into a rather large grin as he noticed their new additions. When he finished listing her accomplishments, she couldn't help but laugh softly. "I got us some livestock. The farmer that owns this house sold them to me for really cheap. His hens will be hatching new chicks soon and he's already got a nice size flock, so he sold me six laying hens to start our own little flock."

She was talking excitedly now. "He also said we're welcome to stay here, since he has no use for it. I'd like to actually buy this little patch with the house one day, but we'll see. And don't you dare think you're a burden. Even if you didn't bring much copper home, it will still add up and help!" Already Nisha had a thousand ideas for ways to establish themselves. Ways to produce a steady supply of food was at the top of her priorities. "Oh, don't worry about supper, it's more or less done. I wanted to make sure you had something nice to eat when you got back."

TheHighwayman

"Well there has to be something for me to do around here." As tired as Kyt was from his job hunting, he still felt he owed it to Nisha to do a bit more, especially given she'd gone to the trouble to make dinner. Besides, her excitement was getting infectious. He crept closer and sniffed at the food- better than stale bread by a mile, that was certain. It occurred to Kyt that staying with Nisha had more perks than just her company. "I suppose we owe the farmer a favor, then? If you speak with him again, pass on an offer to tend to any sicknesses that might befall him or his family for free." It wouldn't be much, but like with Nisha, it was largely all he could offer. He almost smirked at that. The only way for him to be of any help was for someone else to be suffering. It would have been sad if it weren't so ironic.

"Say," he said as a new thought came to him- well, more resurfaced, as he had wondered earlier that day. "Not that it matters much, but I'm curious..." He paused, realizing it would be an extremely odd question, but then he decided that she'd have to get used to the fact that he was an odd person sooner or later and continued. "I was just wondering what you looked like. You see, while my magic may tell me a good deal about a person that most couldn't gather so easily, it doesn't do much for giving me a face to go with it, and if I don't ask it'll probably keep bothering me for a while." The young man also kind of wanted to know if reality matched the image he'd conjured up in his head so far was accurate- it was almost a pet project of his to see how many people's appearances fit their spirit.

Zero

"Why does there need to be something for you to do? You've been gone all day, you're probably tired, you should relax." Nisha didn't want to say that cooking was woman's work, but she couldn't help but think it. Gavin never would have even thought to offer help with...anything. Cooking and cleaning were tasks she just expected to carry out on her own. "Don't worry, I'll let him know about your offer."

She'd gathered their two bowls and begun spooning them full when he asked her what she looked like. It was a bit of an odd question, but then again, most people didn't need to ask what someone looked like. Kyt didn't have the luxury of being able to see her, so it really wasn't so odd when you thought about it. Nisha frowned slightly, expression thoughtful. She'd never really tried to describe herself to someone before. "Well...ah...It's hard to describe."

Sighing she moved over to sit next to him, offering him one of the bowls. "I'm not very pretty. Too pale, too thin, I don't look very healthy. I remember someone complimenting my grey eyes before, though. That's something, I suppose."

TheHighwayman

The healer took the bowl with a grateful nod and popped a piece of chicken into his mouth. "And you've not been doing any sort of work, today? I'm just trying to give you a break where I can." Kyt set his staff sideways across his lap. He shifted a bit and said, "I suppose that's as good a description as any. It'll do." He'd been largely right in his expectations as well, and he felt a little bit proud of the fact. His instincts were one of the few things Kyt felt were better than that of most, so it was somewhat gratifying to know they'd been correct- even in a matter as small as this.

With a mischievous grin Kyt continued. "And you're as pretty as anyone else I've seen." Trying one of the dumplings, he gave an appreciative mumble. "And more importantly, you certainly know how to cook." Normally Kyt wasn't one to throw praise at people, but the fact that he'd just tasted actual meat for the first time in ages certainly made him predisposed to compliments.

Zero

"That's sweet of you, but I haven't done much. Just talked to the farmer, moved and settled chickens, and made some supper." It wouldn't have mattered how much Nisha had done, she'd never have complained about working. Besides, she was excited about making a home. It had been a long time since she'd had an actual home, and she missed it. Oddly enough, she'd been hiding out here for several days, and until Kyt showed up, the idea of settling in long-term hadn't really crossed her mind.

Taking a few bites of her own chicken and dumplings, she savored the real supper. It had been months since she'd been able to make a truly decent meal. Of course she nearly choked a moment later when Kyt said she was as pretty as anyone else he'd seen. Her first instinct was to blush furiously and deny it, but after a moment what he said really sank in. For a moment all she could do was look at him dumbfounded.

"But you've not seen anybody!" She burst into a fit of giggles. He was making a joke, of course! She quieted down when he complimented her cooking. "Thank you, I love to cook. My nursemaid taught me when I was little."

TheHighwayman

Kyt had to make a great effort not to laugh at her brief embarrassment- had she not caught on when she did it would have been a losing battle, but he managed to contain himself... just barely. His grin split his face from ear to ear and stayed that way while she explained the origins of her talent. "Nursemaid? Hrm..." He wondered for a moment what having someone like that around during his own childhood would have been like, but he soon pushed the thought aside. There was no point dwelling on the past or could-have-been past. "I suppose it's a good thing you enjoy it then, I won't feel so bad about not being any help with dinner." Kyt wolfed down the last of his bowl and set it aside while his mouth was still stuffed. He just sat there for a while, enjoying the feeling of safety the place was starting to give him. He'd need to make himself more familiar with the area, perhaps tomorrow or perhaps another time, but sooner or later certainly. Another matter sprang forward that they'd need to attend to. "By the way, how safe are those hens, right now? There are plenty of things around here that would make a quick meal out of them given half the chance- and while my magic usually warns me if something unpleasant is approaching, it isn't infallible. Do you think there's much risk of something getting to them at night?""

Zero

Nisha hadn't thought about it when she'd mentioned her nursemaid, but now she worried what Kyt might think of her. A nursemaid was something the children of very wealthy or noble parents had, not someone that was desitute, like her. Still, she wasn't going to lie, she'd had one, years and years ago when she was much younger. She was glad for the change of subject. "Yes, I love to cook, so don't worry about it. Maybe when we've gotten more settled I can really experiment again with herbs and spices. Oh, when the weather warms a little more I'll need to see if I can start a small herb garden."

There were so many things she wanted to do. Nisha kept turning ideas over in her mind as she ate in silence. Most of her thoughts were on gardening and livestock, repairs were also something she considered. There were so many things that needed to be done if they were going to have a decent place to call their own. It felt a bit strange, trying to settle-in with someone. Still, there chances of success were much higher together than alone. Plus Kyt was good company, perhaps arguably better company than her brother.

She shook her head when he asked about the chickens being in potential danger. "Oh no, you're human and I'm sure you can't smell it, but this entire house smells like...well...me. I'm a were-woleetah, remember? No predators will come near those hens. Except humans."

TheHighwayman

"if you're going to be growing a garden, maybe we should try to grow some of the herbs I use in my medicines as well..." Kyt frowned and shook his head. "Maybe once we've got everything else taken care of. Most of them aren't easy to cultivate. Are you sure there's nothing you need me to do?" The healer's tone suggested he wasn't going to let the subject drop any time soon. Actually, now that he thought about it, there was probably one more thing he should inquire about.

"By the way, have you ever seen a physician about your heart? There's usually something that can be done about such matters, even if it's just to reduce the risk of something going horribly wrong. Why don't you tell me a little more about your condition..." Coughing into his hand, Kyt added, "If you don't mind talking about it, of course. I don't know much about things that my magic can't cure- which is a lot more than I'd like to admit- but the old man who raised me did manage to teach me a thing or two about more mundane medicine. Between that knowledge and my gift, there should probably be some form of treatment I could provide for your heart."

Kyt reached out for Nisha's hand, slowly enough that she'd have plenty of time to pull away if she objected. If she allowed it, he'd turn over her hand and feel for her pulse, trying to get an idea of exactly how weak her heart was. "Do you ever feel in danger of fainting? Or suddenly extremely weak?"

Zero

Nisha grinned at the idea of growing medicinal herbs in addition to the tasty ones she liked for cooking. If it could help Kyt, then it was a great idea. She made a face when he frowned and suggested waiting on the herbs he used for healing. "Why wait? I'm sure they can't be so hard to grow properly. As long as we can get them, we should be able to grow them. And stop asking if you can help. During the day, on days when you don't go into town, then I'll put you to work. Since you've been in Arca all day working, then you're going to relax and go to bed."

She could be quite stubborn, and she was used to taking care of someone. Truthfully, she rather enjoyed the fact that there was someone here for her to take care of. When he started asking about her heart, though, her mood shifted into something subdued. Even without his unique ability the sorrow that surrounded her was palpable. "I had lots of healers, physicians, medicine men, witch doctors...When I was little. None of them could really help. There was a tea I used to be able to drink, when I was feeling sick, but I can't afford it now."

Nisha allowed him to take her hand, heartbeat accelerating. There were few things she disliked speaking of more than her heart. The pulse was quickened, but still weakly throbbing through her veins, and the beat was irregular. "I have fainted many times, and I do easily become short of breath and will be overcome with exhaustion if I am not careful. As I told you, I'm a burden."

TheHighwayman

"The world isn't always kind even to the strongest of us. You've managed remarkably well, especially given your circumstances. Did they ever tell you exactly what the tea was? I might be able to make it for you, depending on the ingredients." Kyt let out a long breath, trying to decide between his healer's instinct and the clear fact that his questions were clearly bothering Nisha. "Oh never-mind. Unless your condition worsens, I'll stop asking you about it if you really hate discussing it as much as it seems." She'd lived with her infirmity until now, even if there was something he could do- and he had his doubts about that- it was her decision to take his help or not.

Releasing her hand, the healer got up and began pacing about the wrecked building. If this was going to be his home, it was for the best that he familiarize himself with the layout now. He counted every step as he walked. Back and forth, burning the path into his memory he went. "And I suppose you have a point about the work. Though that doesn't mean I like it."

Kyt didn't take his focus from his walking as he continued. "By the way, what you said about a nursemaid made me wonder about your childhood. I take it you were once in better straits than these?" He coughed again. "I don't mean to pry, I'm just trying to get to know you better... though I suppose my gift has made me admittedly a little nosy."

Zero

Nisha knew all about how unkind the world could be. Even so, she trudged on, refusing to give up, no matter how unfair the circumstances seemed. Frowning she thought for several moments, trying to remember what she had been given as a child. "I think it had chamomile and foxglove." She took her hand back as he agreed not to ask about it anymore unless her condition grew worse. "It's not that I don't appreciate you trying to help, it's just that...I've lived with this so long, and my father, he tried so hard to help me, but I'd rather the sorrow than the disappointment with each failed 'cure'."

She fell into a pensive silence as he paced the room. It wasn't a large room, barely wider than a tall man, and not much longer than that either. There was Kyt's bed, in the same place as it had been the night before, and the hearth, which held the fire. Broken shelves cluttered one corner of the room, along with most of the other debris she'd collected so far. Not exactly an impressive abode, but for now it was all they had.

The question of her childhood brought her out of her thoughts and she looked up at him with her grey eyes. She supposed it didn't really matter if she told him, he'd proven remarkable accepting about everything else she'd revealed to him. "Ah, you could say that. My older brother and I grew up at Ghostwood Manor, in the forests of southern Serendipity. Our father was Lord Mingan Ulrich, a lesser noble house, and one that certainly kept to itself, if you can imagine. I think I was ten when my father died. When he did, Gavin and I lost everything."

She shifted uncomfortably. It was a rather disturbing topic, and one she didn't fully understand. "It's a long story, but father was married, and it wasn't to our mother. His wife hated us so. I recall them arguing about us once, she said father was a disgrace, not even with enough sense to 'hide his shame' somewhere other than in the manor. Father had two sons with his wife, and when he died they inherited everything, them being...what was that word? Legitimate? Yes, that one. When they took over the manor, Gavin and I weren't welcome anymore."

TheHighwayman

Kyt's first instinct was to ask her about what had happened to her brother, but a moment's consideration told him it was perhaps best not to act- family in such straits tended to stick together; whatever caused the siblings to separate could very well be another sore subject. "I see," he said. "So you were turned out and ended up here." There was no judgement in his voice; while it was true that her past probably meant she'd had a much easier childhood than he had himself, it would also likely have left her less prepared for her current hardships. Besides, holding a grudge over something stupid like that wouldn't do any good.

Satisfied with his knowledge of the room by this point- the size was rather convenient for memorization-  he sat back down next to Nisha. "The important thing to remember about the 'cures' that you might have been offered is that there's rarely a genuine cure for conditions such as yours, only treatments that might or might not make much difference. I could try to help, if you ever change your mind. Just say the word."

Kyt stretched and pulled off his cloak, setting it aside. "So, is there anything you need me to keep an eye out for when I'm in town? Anything that the house'll need, or the garden. And is there a stream nearby? It's been a while since I've had the chance to wash out my cloak, and it's starting to get a bit foul."

Zero

Gavin would have been a sore subject indeed. Nisha still liked to entertain the fancy that something horrible had happened to him. She didn't want anything bad to have happened to him, but either he'd been horribly hurt, died, or had simply left her to die. None were exactly good options. Still, she put it out of her mind. Knowing that Kyt would be able to sense her moods, she stubbornly made herself cheerful as she set the bowls aside. "It isn't a very long story, and not particularly interesting either. Now I just make do with what I have."

Nisha didn't want to talk about treatments and cures. It was depressing. No matter what she did, she would probably never be strong and healthy like a normal person. It was a sore spot for her. Only able to watch other children jump and play, she'd never been able to enjoy things that other people took for granted. "I appreciate it, I really do. When I get into a fainting spell, or and sick, I will be very glad to have your help. I just don't think you should tire yourself on me when I'm okay."

Kyt needed to keep up his strength, and his talents were better used on other people than her. She watched him intently as he stretched, glancing at his discarded cloak a moment. "There's a creek that isn't a far walk. I lead you down to it, so you can learn the path. Speaking of washing clothes, there is something I'd love if you could bring home from town. Soap would be great. I could get a proper wash for the clothes and bedding." Not to mention she could use a proper bath.

TheHighwayman

"Soap? I'll see if I can find some then."  The healer got back up and hung his cloak over his shoulder. "Though it might take a good bit of searching." Holding his staff in the crook of his arm, Kyt offered Nisha a hand up. It might have been just a trick of the light, but he looked in significantly better shape than he had that morning and the night before. Not quite as pale, at the very least. "So, this stream isn't far? We might as well take the bowls and rinse them out while we're down there." Scooping up his now empty bowl, he stuck the edge in his mouth and bit down. "Err... assuming you're ready to go now, of course." Kyt certainly hoped that wasn't the case; he figured he probably looked just a little bit ridiculous at the moment.

Hand still extended, the healer's thoughts turned to where he could find some soap. Something like that would likely be easier to find in the parts of the city he didn't often frequent, near the wealthier districts. If he just asked about it shouldn't take long, though he wondered what the going price was. Hopefully not more than he'd end up earning, they had little enough as it was without taking a loss. "Anything else? Or is the soap all you can think of?"

Zero

Nisha knew that soap was something of a luxury item, but she really thought it would be a good investment. Then again, maybe that was just her being spoiled as a child compared to other people, but everything would smell so much nicer if she could give it a good washing with soap. "If it is too expensive, I understand, it would just be really nice to have some. I wonder if I could learn to make it..." An intruiging thought. If she could make her own soap not only would they save money, but could possibly even sell extra for more coins. She'd have to see how complicated and expensive it would be.

Smiling she grabbed her own bowl, unable to stop a slight giggle. Kyt did look pretty funny standing there with his bowl in his mouth. Taking his hand she stood up and started leading him slowly out of the house and down the path to the water. She wanted to go slowly so that he could memorize the way. The path was fairly clear of debris, there were no large stones or brush blocking the path, she'd already cleared it away so that Kyt would have an easier time of it. "Right now soap is all I can really think of, we can start working bit by bit on building up what we have."

TheHighwayman

Kyt didn't talk much as they went- he didn't want to drop the bowl, after all. He was glad for the open ground; it would let him worry more about memorizing the way and less about not falling on his face. It also gave him a chance to run a few numbers- she was right about working on building up what little they had, and Kyt was certain there had to be a good way to do that. They didn't have to worry about buying food, so that was a start, but he wondered if there was a more efficient way of earning coin than slogging through the city looking for people who needed a healer. Maybe he could find another profitable use for his magic? He'd not thought much about it before, he figured he had the power to help people with his gift and this a duty to do so, but if it would aid Nisha as well as himself surely it wouldn't be selfish to find another way to earn coin on the side?

"I'm sure we can afford it- a little bit at least. I'm trying to figure out other ways I could use my magic to turn a profit. Can you think of anything?" The bowl nearly fell out of his mouth, but he just barely managed to catch it with his chin. "I like giving aid where it's needed, but most of the people who are able and willing to pay for healing go to a real physician or a more powerful mage. Someone who has access to proper treatments or who can make wounds vanish with a wave of their hand."

Zero

Nisha was bubbling with optimisim as they made their way, although she tried to keep quiet as she led him down the short path. She didn't want to distract him while he tried to learn his way to the water, after all. While she didn't mind helping him at all, Nisha felt sure that Kyt would prefer to do it himself, and so she would teach him the way and then do her best not to worry about him walking around by himself without eyes to guide him. The sound of gently flowing water would be getting louder. "Almost there, the creek is wide, but mostly very shallow, no deeper than a foot. Further downstream there is a slightly deeper pool, maybe three feet. The water moves slowly when it hasn't been raining heavily."

As Kyt asked about turning his magic for profit she frowned in thought and chewed lightly on the inside of her cheek before reaching up and lightly plucking the bowl from his mouth. "Don't talk with your mouth full, silly. Should have thought to carry the bowl for you sooner. I can wash the bowls while you wash your cloak. About your magic...have you ever thought of offering services as a truthseeker? With your ability to see people's emotions, I bet it is hard for people to lie to you. I bet rich people would pay for someone to come see if a servant is stealing or something...I don't know. Father would have used a person like that."

TheHighwayman

Kyt tilted his head. "A truthseeker for rich merchants or nobles? Maybe. Hrm... I never particularly enjoyed the thought of working for the rich. Though I suppose the pay from that could help us out immensely. Hrm..." Kyt spoke slowly, still trying to keep track of the number of paces he took. "Even if I did find someone who needed me to detect treachery or deceit for them, would they hire me? I mean, put yourself in the shoes of a rich man. If a dirty, disheveled young man- a blind young man, no less- knocked on your door and told you he could figure out a liar without fail, would you believe him? Or would you think he was trying to con you?" Kyt shook his head. "I suppose I could keep an eye out for an opportunity like that while I'm in town, but I think I'd best stick with healing for now."

Kyt could hear the stream now. He was glad it was a shallow one- even if he accidentally stumbled into the deeper bit he'd be perfectly fine, but if it had been too deep he'd really have to worry about falling in. Having to ask Nisha to guide him every single time he needed water for something because he couldn't swim would have been just a little embarrassing, to say the least. "But enough worrying about money. We're fine for now, so let's just take care of this and then relax a bit." While the healer wasn't quite as spirited as Nisha was at the moment, her optimism was getting infectious, and Kyt figured he could think about preparations and schemes later.