Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Line Between Life and Death is Quick and Sharp (Visualspice)

Started by TheAmir, April 11, 2014, 06:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAmir

Kaitar ignored the glances, though he was aware of them and hoped no one took too close a look at himself OR his "mistress". The fact that she had dust and sand on her exotic clothing and her face was tear-streaked might be noticed at second glance...and that might raise questions, or at least suspicions and curiosity. None of which he wanted or needed just then. He felt odd leading, too, as he was used to walking a customary number of steps -behind-. But, then, if he was playing the part of some bodyguard slave, it would make sense, he supposed.

Once down the alley a fair piece, he stopped abruptly and looked to make sure they had not been followed. So far, they had not, though he was still not totally at ease speaking frankly even there, where it was - for the moment- safe. It was so very risky, and he was still not entirely certain this woman wouldn't double cross him if she found out how much he was worth to a slaver. He would be as honest as was safe, but Kaitar decided he was going to forgo mentioning some things... how much someone might pay for him, for example. His mixed heritage, for another. While his looks were distinctly not typical, this woman might not have ever heard of the Djinn.

"...If we are to come to an agreement, it would be wisest to be as clear as possible about the situation."

No doubt she would, Kaitar thought silently, omit some things and secrets as well. Which was expected...he only hoped this was not the biggest mistake of his life and that the woman was wise enough to be truthful about the important bits of whatever troubles she was running from.

"I am a slave, yes, as you have guessed. My master has left Essyrn in fear of the rebellion. So now I am here, trying to get out of the city as well before I am caught or before I am killed." He paused, looking at Winifred, his mouth turning down into a faint scowl from under the veil as he spoke the next words. "I was a fighting slave. That is why I carry these weapons... most slaves are not permitted weapons, but it was the pleasure of my Master that I wear these as a symbol of my status as his champion slave in the Colosseum. I do not wish to return to that life or my master..."

Ever.

"That is all I have to say on it. I can act as protection for you as you escape the city, but...I do not know my way around well. I was not permitted to roam outside the master's manse except to be taking to and from the fights."

Some flush of shame and anger touched his bronze face, darkening his skin even more, but he made no further comment on it.

"So that is how it is. That is what I can offer. I am finished. I now wait for you to return the courtesy of honesty."

He waited to see how or if she would respond. Kaitar's nerves felt as taught as the strings of an Oud; he had tried to be as honest as possible but wasn't sure if he had given away too much...or not enough...of his situation. He had no experience in this sort of deal-making, after all.

visualspice

Only when they were far from prying eyes did she feel more at ease, but coming to observe the man, as large and as strange as she was, made her feel a bit vulnerable. She was a woman in these strange lands, and she was not considering the risks until now.

"A fighting slave?" She made a face, one of surprise. Regarding.the weapons, which she only.paid more attention to.now made her frown deepen, but pride kept her stance cemented as she looked from weapons to his veiled face. "I see. Well, I am by no degree a woman of means. My family no longer carries the weight of wealth to their name. In order to keep us from falling into the lower classes, my mother helped set me up in an engagement. Though I am sure you feel little for these things, the engagement was to a monster of a man who treated me as awfully as a ... Well... A slave." And at such a claim she grew sheepish. "Or rather, he treated me as properrty than a wife to be.  It... I've never been treated so cruelly, and that is why I wish to leave. I have no money than what can be secured by the jewels I now wear, but if you help.me out of here... They're yours. All of them." For she didn't need the connection to him any longer.

Ooc: sorry for any typos, posting on my phone before bed.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TheAmir

Kaitar knew little of marriages except what gossip he'd overheard from other slaves, and though he had no clear notion of how a woman might expect to be treated in such a union (or how a man should view a woman), he didn't think it was entirely uncommon for the woman NOT to be viewed as property. If he had the time, he would have mused on why people seemed so inclined to want to own or rule over other people... the notion was entirely disgusting to him, and strange. Yet it was common practice in one way or another.

But he had no time to sit and ponder that just then. He glanced at Winifred at the mention of her few valuables, but raised a hand.

"I do not have a need for those things. Sell them in Essyrn if you can. The money may help get us out of the city, and some of the wealthy of the city would pay a large sum for foreign finery to add to a collection."

He busied himself a moment using one of the long coils of his hair to tie the others back at the nap of his neck, and then wrapped the dreadlocks into a messy half-bun. Kaitar Besh was known for that hair. Madev Al'Daree had wanted him appear as wild and untamed as the Djinn of the desert were said to look (though if they actually sported such a hair style was entirely questionable). If he tied it back and up, it would not be as apparent or draw such notice.

"Two more things before we go, yes? I need something to call you besides "Mistress" when we are not appearing in the public areas. And this man who you are to marry, I need to know what he looks like and what his name is, so I can listen and watch should he be looking for you."

visualspice

Odd how the man seemed not to care for money. It was a strange concept for her, that was for sure. Surely, even slaves knew the value of money, but she could inquire about that later. When he asked about her fiance, her entire body visible stiffened as she answered him angrily (though the anger itself was not directed at him, nor the irritation it was laced with.

"Drake," she paused a moment before adding, "Drake Gassir. He is a merchant lord all the way from where I am from, in Connlaoth, to the North." She doubted this slave had ever been, but who was she to doubt the wealth and extent of travel of his former master?

"And as far as my name is concerned, what would a proper slave call his mistress?" For she would have presumed just mistress would have sufficed.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao