Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Second Chances

Started by visualspice, May 27, 2013, 07:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Kella had opened her mouth to protest, though she quickly closed it with a smile. As she peered up at him, her cool blue eyes would be evident now.
"Thank you," she replied softly, looking down at the table, then back up to him she looked again and inquired, "Might I be able to help? It's the least I could do, as a guest."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Alexander considered her question for a moment. There wasn't much to get ready; he just needed to change the linen out for clean ones. But he decided not to say that. She already seemed to believe he was doing too much for her, that she owed him a great deal, so if she was offering to help here, he would let her. As someone who hated accepting help himself, he understood the need to not feel indebted, to feel like you were doing something to contribute.

So he smiled brightly and nodded. "Sure. The bed's gotta be made and, well, I'm not the best at making it look pretty. Besides, it's a chore that passes quicker with two, eh? It's right over here."

He lead the way into the room, which was cozy and minimalistic as the rest of the home. He kept his old weapons there, sword sheathed and placed atop a chest at the foot of the bed, as well as a smaller dagger, because when you lived alone, you could never be too sure, and times were getting rougher. The bed was mussed and the pillows on it were tossed, one on the floor. It was the one area he and his wife could never agree on, and the one area he didn't keep painstakingly tidy, because in Alexander's mind, why bother making the bed when you were just gonna mess it up again at the end of the day?

He moved to one side of the bed and started to strip off the blankets. "There's fresh linens in that chest there," he said, pointing to the end of his bed. "Ah, don't mind the sword."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Alexander's home was very quaint, and it made her feel at peace. So when he inquired if she would be willing to help him make the bed, she smiled and nodded towards him. As she followed him into the room, she did, however, feel a bit uneasy at the sight of the weapons, but at his mentioning not to mind them, she simply nodded, but her eyes still lingered on them before she found herself able to break away. SHe looked down to the chest,a nd bent over to open it, unclasping the metal lock As the lid was opened, she was welcomed by the scent of cedar, somethign she had recalled fondly from home when she and her brother Blaith used to play 'hide away'a nd the cedar chest in her parents room had been the perfect place to hide....

Blinking back the memory, she tucked her smile away and lifted up a pair of fresh sheets. "Will these do?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

"I sure hope so!" Alexander said with a chuckle. "Those are the only spare linens I own!"

Bed stripped, he tossed the blankets and sheets into a pile on the floor, to be collected and taken out to wash later. The bed wasn't anything special, though he was blessed to own a featherbed. Not a new one; once upon a time, his family had been more well to do until his grandfather squandered it all away on whores and gambling. The featherbed was a legacy of those more comfortable times, passed down to him. Even flattened a bit from age, it was still rather comfortable and warm.

He held out his hands to take an end of the sheet and tuck it in on his end. "Say, you never did tell me what I could call you," he said as he worked, finishing up on his side and picking up the pillows, fluffing them, and laying headsheets over them. "I mean, unless you're fine with me just calling you 'Miss' and 'You'," he added with a smile.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Kella gave a small smile at his comment,a nd worked with him to fit the sheet. But then at his question as they were finishing up, she peered over at him at a side glance before lowering her gaze sheepishly to the floor.
"Kella,"s he said softly. "My name is Kella."

OOC: Aaaaaaaaand, now I can't recall if he ever gave his name XD

Rhindeer

OOC: LOL! Turns out he never did. xDD

"Kella, huh?" Alexander said with a pensive smile. "That's a really pretty name."

He gathered up the blankets and spread them out onto the bed, but left a couple for himself, since he'd be spending the night out by the hearth. Pausing, he tilted his head in thought. Had he introduced himself? He remembered asking her name before, back when she'd been unwilling to give it, but couldn't remember if he had or not. A lot had happened back at the tavern, after all!

He decided to err on the side of politeness. "I'm Alexander, by the way, in case I didn't tell you before. I honestly can't recall! But anyway, Kella." He pat the bed and tossed the leftover blankets over his shoulder. "There you are. Should be nice and cozy, but if you need anything else, don't be afraid to give me a holler."

visualspice

Kella nodded, and hesitated, realizing it had been quite a long time since she was able to, and.. though she felt mildly uncomfortable asking, she knew not might be her only chance for one.
"A bath," she said suddenly. "If you please, I... I'd hate to trouble you but.. is there anyway I might be able to freshen up or bathe?"and she looked curiously around his place, not sure WHERE he'd be able to offer her such a thing, considering how small and quaint his home was before her blue eyes looked back towards his, a blush gracing her cheeks.

Rhindeer

"Oh." Unbidden, Alexander felt his face heat, which was silly as hell, since he'd always joked he was far too old for blushing. With it came a pang of guilt, because his mind sure as fire shouldn't be going there! But what could he say? He was a man, and she was a pretty lady.

"Oh. Of course. Ah, that's no trouble at all! I'll have to heat some water, first, unless you don't mind taking a cold one. But I wouldn't suggest that!"

Stooping down beside the bed, he reached under it and dragged out a wooden tub, large enough for a person to sit in but not particularly deep, so as to be easily stored. "It'll just be a moment while I fetch some water from the well, but it's better than the steam. I wouldn't recommend that."

visualspice

Kella shuffled uneasily where she stood. But at the mention of the preparations, she moved nearer to him. "Here,"s he said, gently touching his arm with her gloved hand. "Let me help.." and her blue eyes met to his. "Please."

Rhindeer

Alexander paused when she touched his arm, and looked up at her, his own blue eyes meeting hers. God, he didn't think he'd noticed her eye color before; the shadow from her hood had kept them obscured, and now he couldn't help but notice how nicely the color contrasted with her skin and hair, or how warm her hand felt through the glove.

He cleared his throat, jerking his eyes away. "Of course, Miss Kella. If you could, you could stoke the hearth, get a good fire going. I've just got the pottage hanging over it now, but we can set that aside for now."

Goddamn, Alex. Get a pretty woman in your house and you lose it.

visualspice

OOC: nyahahaha
--------

Kella smiled and nodded, silently going to work at tending the fire. SHe had done this well enough before, and soon it was crackling healthily with life. She paused a moment to just stare at it, reflecting back to what had happened, to all of the events that lead her to this moment, to this day.

Blaith... Gods... what had happened to her brother? Since that party in Uthlyn he had changed. Was it because he had murdered?  Did the act of killing a man on her behalf change him so greatly that he snapped? What drove him to try and force himself upon her those many months ago, the night before she ran away? It was almost as if that dirty, scoundrel of a man, Klaus,  the one who had been stalking her for several years since she had come to age, and was the one man Blaith had murdered in secret at that party....  It was almost if that man, Klaus, had taken over her brother's mind... especially in the way Blaith looked at her with a a dark, hungry lust.

A few hot tears began to slide down her cheek, catching the color of the fire and appearing like liquid gold as they ran down her cheeks. Realizing she began to cry, she lifted up a gloved arm and wiped them away. Gods.. she missed her brother, her old life, her family...

What had happened? What had gone wrong?

Rhindeer

OOC: OMG THIS IS SO LATE.

It didn't take long for Alexander to fetch the water, but it took several minutes longer as he spent some of it standing near the well and collecting his thoughts. A fresh breath of air would get his head back on straight! He was just helping her for the night, after all, and then she'd be on her way. After all, she'd hardly wanted the help he was offering now, and he wasn't about to force more onto her.

He hardly even knew her! And by hardly he meant "not at all". Maybe she was being chased for a very good reason! For God's sake, for all he knew, she could be an actual murderer and a very skilled actress, and here he'd offered her his roof and hearth!

...Highly doubtful, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Bucket filled, he hefted it and trudged back into his home, nudging the door open with his foot and dumping the water into a fresh pot for boiling.

"There we go. Ah, looks like you got the fie going nicely--"

He stopped short when he looked from the pot to her face and caught sight of the redness around her eyes and the tear tracks on her cheeks. He set the bucket down heavily.

"Kella? What happened?"

visualspice

OOC: It's ok! It happens <3
Yay for Rhi-tastic posts XD
--------------

When he nearly dropped the bucket of water, she gasped and reared back from him fearfully, turning away as she tried to hide her face by casting herself more into shadows as her blonde hair fell loosely over her face. But the fire was too bright, and a golden hue still showed the tail of those tears.

With her hands curled against her sides as she hugged onto herself, she tried to play it off as if he hadn't caught her crying.
"Oh.. you.. you startled me," she replied lamely. She was never any good at lying...

Rhindeer

Alexander winced at her reaction and felt guilty for startling her--and concerned for her, given the extremity of her response. She looked genuinely afraid, the reaction of someone who thought a loud noise meant they were going to be hurt. It reminded him, painfully, of a woman who's husband hit her.

"Sorry," he said, and motioned to the bucket. "It was just--ah. I didn't mean to startle you." And now the awkward part. It really wasn't his business, and he didn't want to be pushy or overstep any boundaries, for he had already talked her into staying longer than she had planned.

"But I don't think it was my startling you that made you cry, was it?"

visualspice

Kella's eyes shot up to his face. If he noticed the tears before, they were more evident now as the crackling glow of the fire reflected off their glittering surface. And her lips dropped open, she didn't know what to say, before she turned from him to hide her face as she brushed at the tears collecting over her eyes- which was a painful chore, considering her annoying, too-big-for-her-sized, leather gloves.

"N-no," she replied softly, through a sniffle. "I'm just tired."
She knew the response was evasive, but she didn't even want to begin to explain. It was easier with him not knowing- she was just passing through anyway.

Rhindeer

Alexander let out a slow breath. That made a little sense. She had had a stressful day, from what he could gather, and from what he'd seen--yeah, anyone in her position would be emotionally and physically exhausted by now. To be hunted as she was...that would take a toll on anyone.

She had to be terrified. Pretending to be unafraid only went so far before the emotions broke.

He decided not to press. She would talk if she wanted to, but he wasn't about to make her feel pressured to open up to a complete stranger.

"Well, then, why don't we get that water heated so you can soak a bit, relax, and get some shut-eye? That helps, sometimes," he said with a reassuring smile as he picked the bucket back up. "It'll help you sleep, at least."

visualspice

Kella gave a small, sheepish nod and avoided his gaze. She felt foolish, but really...
It was hard to trust anyone- even if she wanted nothing more than a friend. SHe was alone. She had to remind herself this. It was safer that way. Not only for herself, but for anyone she ran across.

No one could know her story.
No one could know her name.

Watching as he returned to prepare the water, she delicately tucked back some of her tattered blonde hair.
"Might I be able to help?" She could at least offer to do something.

Rhindeer

Alexander got the bucket hanging over the hearth, the healthy fire quickly heating the crude metal. At her offer to help, he chuckled lightly.

"Well, not much to be done now until it heats. But as they say, a watched pot doesn't boil, so how about this..."

He headed around the hearth and picked up a small basket, and filled it with something from inside a large bag. Returning to Kella, he held it out to her, showing it was full of millet.

"I was going to wait to feed the chickens until you were bathing, but they're probably cranky by now. It's an hour past their feeding time. Want to help? Water should be done by the time we get back." And then, with a smile, he added, "Had some chicks just hatch yesterday."

visualspice

Kella stood there, staring at the chicken feed, but had no idea what to make of it. Was he offering it to her so she could eat it? But then, she quickly felt foolish the moment she realized his intentions and a soft smile graced her features as she nodded.

"That sounds lovely. I'd love to help." And she never had the chance to feed chickens before. It seemed like fun, or at least something to keep her mind off of what truly plagued her mind.

Rhindeer

With a smile, Alexander handed her the basket and motioned for her to follow him as he lead the way outside and toward the back of his home. There he kept a small chicken coup--not a lot of birds, just enough to give him some eggs in the morning and a single cranky rooster. He'd grown up keeping chickens, but he no longer ate the ones he kept. His wife had always been softhearted and couldn't stand it, and he couldn't stand upsetting her, so for her he'd agreed that they were strictly for eggs. To this day, he'd kept that promise--even if he often wanted to strangle the rooster.

"Now, they're gentle, they won't hurt you or anything," he told Kella as they approached the coup. "But if you see a rooster, let me know, and don't bother him. He's a mean old ass--" He paused, realizing what he was saying, and cleared his throat. "Pardon. Ah, he's mean."

Hearing his voice, the hens came out running and some fluffy chicks followed, peeping excitedly. They swarmed Kella because she had the basket, loudly demanding their dinner.

Tags: