Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lady of the Books

Started by visualspice, July 13, 2013, 09:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Averella was taken back by his manners, and at his offer as well as she shook her head at the half slobbered half eatenloaf of bread.
"If you are so hungry, go ahead and finish the loaf yourself. I can purchase another."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

He stared at her for a moment and then shrugged. Oh well! More for him! He stuffed the remainder of the loaf into his greedy gullet. However, when he was finished he burped and patted his stomach which growled its dissatisfaction. Urtok turned to her with a sheepish grin on his face, " So, how many more loaves can you afford ?"

visualspice

At his 'healthy' appetite and belch, Averella found herself making a face before peering down into her money pouch with a bit of a frown.
"Well, quite a lot if we want to empty my purse, but I'm afraid only one or two more loaves will have to suffice if we don't want to find ourselves without pennies." And at that, she judged him once over with a gaze, curious to know if he was really, truly that hungry. But then again, he might have 'looked' like a human, but a human he surely was not!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Urtok's expression wilted at her mention of being low on funds to appease his ever-hungry stomach, "So, how do you get more money? Maybe we should find some quests. I'd recommend saving some noble's daughter. Nobles are usually loaded with gold.  Or we could go fight a dragon and take his treasure!" He scratched his chin thoughtfully, "Or we could become thieves and steal what we needed."

visualspice

"Er, that's not quite how I make money," Averella began, blinking and uncertain quite how to deal with explaining this to Urtok. "You see, because I am quite familiar with antiquities due to my age, I tend to find a lot of rare items that I can sell. Usually that money lasts me for a while but it seems our unfortunate circumstance has brought me nearer towards the end of my money pouch. Though, I'm not sure what sort of things we can sell.. I'd have to go through my inventory first or we'd have to find a place that we could explore to see if I couldn't find some interesting things to sell."
And the more she thought it over and tapped her lip, the more she realized, "So I suppose, one could say, it is sort of like a quest, though much less dangerous than needing to find terrifying dragons to slay."

And as she poked her nose into her money pouch to count what was left, she sighed and appeared crestfallen at the results.
"We can buy about two more loaves, but then we ought to ration the rest. I'd hate to run out of money and be stranded."

Especially in such a prudent country as Connlaoth! To think, they are afraid of magics here! Thankfully, no one could guess the poor girl was a cursed girl, though the familiar itch of her decomposition began to tickle the back of her throat, but for now,s he tried to ignore it. Maybe she was just getting a cold?

Paradox

Urtok stared at her like she was crazy for a few moment. Wasn't the first time he'd done so and certainly wasn't the last time either. He shook his head and frowned, "Rare items? How do you know when something is rare? " He waved a hand dismissively, " No money is a real problem. We don't want to be poor. Being poor is for losers. " He held up a hand , "Wait here and watch how it's done, book sorceress."

And then , puffed up with confidence the bugbear turned man marched over to a fruit vendor and announced, " I am a hero whom has come to this town in search of a quest. Humble ....merchant guy, surrender your much needed errands to me and I shall happily do them for a modest fee." The fruit vendor stared at him as though he'd completely lost his mind and then laughed. And laughed. And laughed.

Urtok folded his arms across his chest and scowled at the humored vendor, " I really don't see what's so funny! "

visualspice

Averella cupped a hand over her lips to witness such a feat.
"Oh dear."
Approaching her 'friend', she hooked her arm around his and tried to guide him away from the poor fruit vendor as she explained to the man, "I'm dreadfully sorry for my friend. You see he was hoping to find a way to gain money by odd jobs. There's no harm in it, though I'm sure even someone like you might be able to see the good use you could have for such a sturdy man. Or even one of your friends?"
She might as well try to humor them and try to get this awkward situation to perhaps benefit them. Or you know, end up having the fruit vendor just laugh some more.
"I'm sure he or I could offer a multitude of useful services," and at that idea, she gave a confident grin. Who knew! Perhaps making money this way wouldn't be so bad! THen she wouldn't have to dig for more antiquities or sell any of her own!

Paradox

The fruit vendor looked over his shoulder at Urtok, his bushy grey brows furrowing. "I don't know, " he said slowly , his frown deepening, " the lad seems a bit touched in the head. Does he - or either of you have any particular set of skills? "

"Hey! What are you guys talking about over there!?" Urtok looked their way , a look of suspicion on his face.

visualspice

"Well, my friend here has great strength, so any laborious activities you should find yourself needing a strong pair of legs and good back, I'm sure he would be more than happy to oblige!" She said, enthusiastically. Though myself, as you can see, I am far more petite, though I have a wealth of knowledge, so should you  need your taxes reviewed or handled, or even your library straightened up, I might be your girl!" And she smiled, finding herself having a lot of fun trying to sell the services of herself and her companion, though to be honest, she had no idea what such things might truly entail

Paradox

"Well, alright, " the merchant sighed, "I've been needing some help with collecting a fee from a client of mine. I suppose if you and your companion are capable of persuading the man to honor his debt then I could could pay you a quarter of what he owes me. If you think that might be something to your-"

"We'll do it!" Urtok volunteered them without knowing the details, but he was confident that they (well, he anyway) could do anything. "So, where is this guy? I'll kick his ass!" He punched his fist into his hand and grinned.

The merchant looked nervous, "No, no. You misunderstand. I don't want to resort to violence. I just ...want you to convince him to pay me. "

Urtok looked disappointed , "What kind of quest is that?"

visualspice

"Oh! How splendid!" Averella exclaimed, seeming not to hear her companion's woes. "We'd be delighted to help. THough um.." she nervously tucked back some of her hair as she inquired, "Just where ought we to begin? I mean.. what sort of debt does he owe, who is he and where do you think we could find such a person?"

The merchant hesitated before clearing his throat.
"Templeton Thurston. And er.. you can normally find him at the library. But he's a shrewd man. He takes care of the library fines there."
And Averella's mouth dropped at what he revealed.

"The.. the.... the librarian?"

The merchant sighed "Well, one of them. Stingy bastards."

Paradox

Urtok laughed, "The library!? Are you serious?" He nearly fell over , shaking with laughter. But then he saw Averella's expression and sobered. "So, I take it this is kind of not a good thing? What kinda money are we talking about here?"

"He borrowed eleven gold from me, "the merchant explained, "with the promised that he would pay it back with interest in about a year's time. Two years have come and gone with him promising me he'll pay soon and...well, he doesn't. I've been looking for people to help persuade him to pay since he's not afraid of me." 

Urtok whistled, "That's a lot. But isn't that the same guy who wanted to throw is in library prison? "

The merchant stared at the bugbear as though he were absolutely mad, "The what?" 

visualspice

"What my friend means to say is.. we're not exactly on a friendly basis with the librarian," she said regretfully.

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean to say is, that we might not be able to help you out."

Paradox

"Unless," Urtok interjected, "we wear a clever disguise. Oh...we could disguise ourselves as pirates or city guards. We could go undercover and spy on him to find out where he hides his treasure and then seize it! HAH!"

The merchant sunk down in defeat, " Pity. I guess I'll ask someone else then."

"No!" Urtok declared, " A quest is set before us and we cannot turn from it! Don't worry little man. We'll get your money back for you or we are not awesome!"

visualspice

"Pirates? Stealing? Urtok, I don't think that's a wise idea.." she began to protest, but the tall, bugbear-turned-man didn't seem to be listening. "Though a disguise might work.."s he thought, but honestly! This just wasn't a good idea!

Paradox

Urtok frowned at Averella , "You don't like my idea? What's wrong with it?" He folded his arms over his chest. Sighing heavily, he supposed he'd ask for her opinion even if he had a feeling that it wasn't going to be very awesome,  " Okay. Fine. What would you have us do then?" 

visualspice

"Well, I don't know,"s he began thoughtfully as she shrugged. "Perhaps we can find a way to hide our faces? Or um, deliver the man a letter. Yes! That's it!" And her eyes sparkled excitedly. "We could send him a letter! That would make this all a lot easier and then we can give him a deadline and tell him to bring the funds right here. Now... let's see.. to find a place that's got some paper and ink.."

Paradox

Urtok scoffed, "Lame!"  He shook his head, "A letter? Seriously? You think a letter is going to make him honor his agreement any more than asking him or threatening bodily injury to his person? Hah! Besides, writing is for losers. " Of course, he was only saying these things because he couldn't read or write , but of course he couldn't! He was a bugbear and he was much too awesome for that!

However, he was somewhat curious to know if her methods would actually work. " Okay, so you're going to write him a letter. How is it going to be delivered then? Or should I ask WHO is going to deliver that letter? "

visualspice

Averella frowned when he brought up a few good points.
"Well, I'm not sure. Though if someone gave me a letter I know I'd try to honor it." Blinkingly, she thought over a solution when he mentioned someone actually had to DELIVER it and she thought it over before going 'Ah ha!" and turned to the vendor. "Why, I'm sure He could supply us with a solution for this."

And the vendor only stared at the pair as if they were joking.

"Never mind, I retract this offer! You two couldn't get the librarian to pay his fees if you tried. Nobody can!" and sulkily, he went back to his wares.

"Oh dear.. I wonder what we could have said that upset him?"

Paradox

Urtok wrinkled his nose at the woman and shrugged, "I dunno. I think his quest is kind of lame anyways. It's got no blood or fighting dragons or evil guys with big swords and dark armor or damsels or sweet treasure."

He rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Although, I think I know a way to make him pay. Why don't I deliver the letter? He won't recognize me. "Of course not because before then he'd been a bugbear. " I can be pretty persuasive. Just let me try one time. I'm sure I can make him see the light.  " And by persuasive , he meant to kick the phony librarian's ....*ahem* .