Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Let Them Eat Cake! (M!)

Started by visualspice, October 23, 2013, 03:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

OOC: This is an 'open by request only' thread; so anyone who wants to join has to have their characters and ideas approved through me prior to 'leaping in'. Thanks!
And before inquiring, this party is open to nobles and spies only- and they have to be CONNLAOTHIAN spies and already active mage supporters. Thanks.
This thread takes place several yeas into the war and is the (currently) most recent event.

---------

"Let them eat cake, if they want to, Vesrik," came an unusual passionate phrase from the Grand Duke himself. "Have them take it and eat and walk without fear, for fear is the catalyst of this event, and we want to show our enemies it is not fear that keeps us back, and that we will live our lives as it suits us, and that Connlaoth will become the tamed and civilized country it was destined for."

Vesrik raised his wine goblet towards his 'king', and chuckled after the man's brief speech.
"Then to the servants we should go, to have the invitations penned and the event made official. They are calling it a war now, you know," Vesrik added with a sneer.

Calent scowled at that and looked down towards his desk where he paused in mid-stride from his pacing. He tapped a gloved hand upon the mahogany before looking up at his visor with a nod.
"Very well. This party... it will be well suited for the holiday that is to come. It is but a few weeks before All Souls Night, so I was thinking to theme the event around that holiday."

Vesrik quirked a brow, and a dark grin swept across his features before it became more polished as he cleared his throat to suggest, "Ah, but why not have such an event take place on All Souls Night? And the theme.. well.." Vesrik let the thoughts roll around inside his head before giving a shrug and turning towards the Grand Duke. "Might be best suited for, perhaps, your wife to decide?" For he hadn't missed the Grand Duchess's approach as he took is wine to his lips before bowing to her. Calent, subtly startled by her presence, turned to his wife.

"Grand Duchesss... we were discussing the ball idea you had so fervently requested of me but months ago," and though he spoke to his wife, his face was a mask of indifference. "I... feel the time is right to host such an event, as the idea has gotten well beneath my skin to a place I can not scratch. I feel as though the other duchies are growing exhausted, and I too, am anxious. Perhaps the parties my fellow dukes are so afraid to ask for should be reinstated by none other than their Grand Duke.."
THough he spoke of the idea as if it were something grand, he still had a pensive scowl about his face.

Vesrik, who wore a tight lipped smile, sipped at his wine and stared casually at the duchess.
"We were contemplating a theme- and to have the ball take place on All Souls Night. Such a festive evening seems most fitting for a mental relief from the war."

Calent's nose wrinkled at the label of 'war'. A war against his own people, it made his gut wrench, but it was true, and he was getting desperate in his attempts to mask away his true feelings over it- and out of that desperation, he had fallen prey to one of his wife's good ideas. Though when Kathryn had first brought up the idea for a ball, he  had been quite adamant that it ought to never happen, and he and his wife were cold to one another ever since. Sharing a bed was not an option during that time, and perhaps it was one reason he himself was growing frustrated.

For now, it was a party where he would find his release, and to remind the world who was in control.

"Yes, and the timing for such an event could not be better. The weather is splendid," Vesrik said, sipping at his wine most carefully as he gave Kathryn a shrewd grin.

OOC: This event will officially open after the invitations have been penned 8D
I will link such things once I get them up <3
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Grand Duchess Kathryn was, very nearly, an entirely different woman than the girl that had nearly fallen in love with Calent.  She was still a lovely woman, but the cheerful youth and adventurous twinkle in her eye had been replaced with poise and a practiced smile that rarely touched her eyes these days.  The stress that affected her husband rarely touched her, it seemed, for she attempted to actively engage those around her who deserved such an honor, providing, always, a voice of support for her husband's actions and a blessing for the troops.  There was little doubt in anyone's mind that she was as devoted to Calent's cause as he himself was...but the observant would note how rarely they appeared together, and, even when they were at the same function, how very rarely they even looked at one another.  With or without Calent, she maneuvered the political waters of Connlaoth as effortlessly as a shark navigated the ocean -- and was just as ruthless should someone happen to fall on her bad side, or so the rumors said.

Kathryn had long ago given up on trying to please her husband.  Her opinions of him were generally low, although, as the Grand Duchess, she kept such thoughts to herself...  Their relationship had been rocky for some time now, long before she had brought up the idea of a ball...and, since the ball idea had been so dramatically discarded by the childish man, she had long ago given up offering him any suggestions at all.  In fact, for the last month, she had only spoken to him when absolutely necessary -- not out of spite but simply because he did not care to listen, and she had nothing more she wished to say and be heard only be deaf ears.

And so it was, with a suspicious expression, she regarded both him and his adviser.  She could only assume they had grown desperate.  It hadn't been a bad idea, if she did say so herself...but it had been an idea that would have, in her opinion, helped settle some of the uneasiness growing between duchies and their own seats of power.  "A splendid idea," she answered civilly, if not particularly warmly.  "There should be just enough time to make preparations before the event and to see that everyone is invited."

In short, more work for her.

"I believe I have just the caterer for such an event.  He comes highly recommended."

visualspice

"Yes, my dear, but it still begs the question as to a theme," Vesrik pressed with an idle sigh and swish of his wine glass to show his intolerance. Though, it was noted by the Grand Duke, he cast a much colder gaze towards his visor before moving to be closer to his wife's side.

"I know I was quick to dismiss the idea at the time. I, perhaps, was prematurely foolish." He studied his wife and her coolness in a way he might be looking at his own self in the mirror before proceeding.. "But as you must know, times are trying, and it of no consequence that I should dismiss your ideas so quickly." And he paused to take her in before commenting coolly, "I do apologize for being ignorant. I did not realize what a ball could mean."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Kathryn didn't even glance at Vesrik.  She did not care for the man; there was something slimy about him; in many ways, he reminded her of a man who had once tried to have his way with her, long ago and following another, very different ball, although she could not, entirely say what it was.  The fact he reminded her of Prince Philippe was quite enough to earn her dislike and distrust.

Besides, there was little Vesrik could offer her.  He was Calent's man; she had her own counsel for when she needed it.

For a moment, she said nothing; she simply looked up into her husband's face.  Part of her, she thought, would always search for that warmth and those smiles she had once loved...but they were gone, now, and they likely were gone for good.

"Then the fault is mine for failing to explain my thoughts more clearly," she allowed graciously.  There was no need to continue to accuse him.  Not that he had given her a chance to explain, to her recollection...  But, personal feelings aside, they were allies in this little war against the mages, and, at the end of the day, everything they did, they did for the country.

So, the Grand Duke wished to throw a ball...  "If I were planning it, I think I should make it the greatest and grandest ball the Palace has ever held.  Give the people a reason to spend their money -- in obscene amounts.  Remind them of their power and birthright."  She paused a second, then added, more firmly, "Let them become whatever it is they want to be for a night.  Make it a masked ball.  Let the people express themselves in opulent anonymity."

She stopped there, then, and folded her arms beneath her breasts.  "But that would be expensive, my lord."  And times being what they were, well...

visualspice

Calent mulled over her idea as if trying to decide whether or not he liked the taste of it. But Vesrik gave a scoff.

"Money is of no consquence, this is the nobility we speak of." And he said it so eloquently upon a sneer. Calent shot a look to him which only made the man snort while enjoying his wine. "And why a masked ball?" Really, perhaps he should not have trusted the woman...

"Because it would be perfect," Calent added in which made his visor arch his brow. "Let the people celebrate All Souls Night with a mask, let themselves, for one night, forget the suffering going on outside their windows.." ANd as he spoke, he walked over to the window of his study and peered out into the sunset. "It's been a while since anything of it's kind has happened here, let alone in the Grand Palace..." And as he continued to think it over, he turned back towards his wife and nodded to her. "Thank you for your suggestion." And he bowed his head. "Tomorrow we should gather together after breaking our fast to discuss this in more detail. For now, I am exhausted and perhaps it is well that the duchess and I see ourselves to bed."

Though it was still early in the day...
He had much he wanted to discuss with his wife...
Though as unfortunate as it was, something came up before he could join her, and again, the two would have empty bed chambers..

But tomorrow- there was much to come.
A masked ball.
A masked ball, for all.

Ivory

Rather than look pleased that her suggestion had been accepted, Kathryn frowned softly when Calent retreated to the window.  It was unusual enough that her husband was accepting her advice...but defending that advice against Vesrik?

If the world had fallen on its head, she would not have believed it.  What, she wondered, was Calent up to?

Her expression mimicked Visrik's when he mentioned retiring to bed.  Long before their divisive fight over the suggestion of a ball, Calent had visited her bed chambers less and less frequently, citing taxes or business or any other number of things that, increasingly, dealt with the purge of mages.  And, then, of course, the fight had ended such visits altogether...

Nevertheless, she bowed slightly.  "As you wish, my Lord."

But she doubted he would appear, and so she made herself comfortable with a book.  And when dusk fell, without waiting for her husband to make his appearance, she simply turned out the light and went to bed, as was her usual habit.

She was not disappointed; there were, after all, only so many miracles God could perform in one day.

visualspice

The next day, the Grand Duke's palace was bustling with activity. The leftwing study was full of men hired to pen out the invitations with haste. All Soul's Night was fast approaching, and he wanted the invitations to be sent out by the next morning. He had already configured a guest list- since a list of nobles and minor nobility was always at hand, and a few high ranking tradesmen would be invited to attend. Once the initial scroll was penned, he turned to his wife for her approval before setting the group of scribes to work.

And it had been a trying day, especially as he requested both Vesrik and his wife to review the list of invitees; and while they went through the list, Calent sat, appearing quite bored and agitated, in his throne like chair, a fist resting to his cheek as his eyes stared between the two as they worked through the list.

One such family had Vesrik crinkling his nose.
"Treyburns." he said, and peered through the list. "Seems a hefty family." He added, with a sniff. "Though not sure if all of the children would attend, and the father, now deceased has been replaced by.. hrm.. well, not the first born. It is known he was disinherited... I suppose that leaves the second eldest in charge. Braxworth, I think it was?"
And he looked over at Calent for approval, who, for that moment, didn't appear to be listening.

Ivory

Kathryn looked up from the list, a look of irritation spread across her pretty face.  This wasn't the first name the man had butchered, nor, she thought, would it be the last.  "Braxton," she emphasized.  "Major Braxton Treyburn, I believe.  His father was a firm supporter of my husband and a well-respected member of the military until only about five years ago.  I am told high-ranking officers throughout Connlaoth attended his funeral.  If his son is half the man his father was, you would do a great disservice to my husband by alienating any of the Treyburns from this event.  He wields great influence over the military by name alone."

She looked back to the list in her hand thoughtfully, silently reviewing what she knew of the family.  It wasn't much; they were merely a minor family, and they were not politically active.  As she understood it, Vesrik's information was wrong on a second account as well: it was not merely the eldest son who had been disinherited; she vaguely remembered hearing that Braxton had been third in line...

Really, how an adviser could have such poor information was beyond her!

"One of the daughters was recently widowed as well, I believe.  Her husband was killed by a mage while on duty."  She looked up from the paper with a stern frown.  "It is imperative we show the people that their sacrifices are appreciated."  The Grand Duchess sighed softly.  "And, besides, they have several unmarried daughters, if I recall.  We should lend them our aid in increasing their status...  Perhaps some introductions..."

visualspice

"Oh, leave it to the women to think about match making. Yes, that's all well and good, but the event is still to lift spirits." Vesrik gave a shake of his head, and his second chin soon followed before he sighed. Calent finally peered over at the pair before sitting up in his chair.

"Yes, Vesrik, it would do you well not to misinterpret any of the information." For even the Grand Duke was becoming annoyed over his mistakes, and having to hear his unfortunate wife correct him. And it was then he glanced over at her form, her stern expression, her tired eyes, but also, he studied her perfect poise.

"Perhaps a break is in order? Perhaps some tea, tart and brandy? It might help us go through this list a little better," the Grand Duke suggested.

And Vesrik's lips were the first to curl at that idea.
"Indeed, allow me to go make the request of your servant. The pair of you look simply exhausted. It's the least I can do." And without further adieu, the large man got up from his chair and pushed his way towards the door, and reviewed the order of brandy, tea, tarts and biscuits to a servant.

Ivory

Kathryn watched him leave with a flat expression, then sighed softly and turned her expression back towards her work.  Although she didn't look up, she did say, "Thank you for the thought.  Tea would be just the thing, I think, to get us through this list."

She set the list of Treyburns aside, having made the correction to Braxton's name, and picked up another page to review.

"I've contacted the decorators and caterers.  Have you given any thought to your costume, my Lord?"  Naturally, she would leave it to him to decide...

visualspice

Calent lifted his gaze at her question. He had been staring at her, but more through her before the question was posed. Blinking, he thought about what she was thinking,a nd he mulled it over.
"Yes, I tried to consider what would be most appropriate," he said, sitting up from his own chair and  moving to the sette where his wife now sat. Once he was settled in, he turned towards her and looked directly into her face. "Do you recall the first hunt we attended together?"

Ivory

Assuming he had moved to peruse the invitation list himself, she set the paperwork aside on the footstool she had been using previously, and she was in the act of scooting the stool between them when he caught her eye and posed the question.

Their first hunt?  What did that have to do with the party?

And why on earth was he looking at her like that?

"The one with my father?"  With the great storm and...and Dekka.  Now, there was someone she hadn't thought about in a while.  "And the storm that nearly killed us all?  It wasn't much of a hunt."  Her expression softened slightly, looking a little less like it was made of marble.  "Except for my father."

visualspice

Calent breathed, which could have possibly be interpreted as a laugh as he kept his gaze upon her, then looked away.
"Yes.. I was just thinking, what you said about our costumes. I might like to go as a stag."

Ivory

"I...will make a note," Kathryn answered hesitantly, honestly unsure how she was expected to respond.  He was acting so...

Well, so unlike himself...  Or, perhaps, simply unlike what she had come to expect him to be...

If she didn't know him any better, she'd assume he'd been sampling the wine...but, no, the only liquor on the table had been her mimosa this morning...  Besides, where the bubbly feeling liquor gave her helped her to keep up a smile and to cope with her daily life, it only made him moody.

"Have you any other recommendations or requests?" she prompted as the silence drew out between them.  This was, quickly, becoming awkward...

visualspice

Calent continued to keep his glance away from her as he shrugged.
"No, I'll go as a stag, the list seems alright, and I think it's nearing supper," he said with a sigh, then leaned back in his chair and stared at the ceiling, looking as tired as ever. The war hadn't been kind to him, wrinkles beginning to set into his features, an din this light, making him appear hard, like a stone. And the bags beneath his eyes also did nothing but make him appear as tired as he felt.
The nightmares, although lessened, were still ever present; though the war was his main focus, and the only thing he seemed to have the strength left for. It was then he glanced towards his wife and inquired through a sigh, "How is the list looking? Do we have a lot of nobles left to review?"

Ivory

The Grand Duchess breathed a subtle sigh of relief.  Back to business, then...

That was the focus of their conversations, usually, rather than memories of old.  It seemed like a thousand years ago that they had been wed...and a hundred lifetimes ago.  Their marriage may have failed to produce an heir...and it seemed unlikely there ever would be.  However, if there was one thing they had succeeded at together, they made excellent business partners.

"No, there's only one page left," she answered, picking up the aforementioned page and skimming over it.  "And this was the list that the secretary assumed would attend.  My family.  Duke and Duchess Molneux."  Yes, there was no question about any of these people...  Except...  She sighed and corrected the spelling of her sister's name.  That one, she thought, had probably been done on purpose.  "And that's the last of it."

This last page joined the others in a neat pile, and she reached out to put the stopper back into the ink vial.  "I'll contact the seamstress to begin the process of designing our outfits, and I will have them sent to you to review before she begins."

visualspice

Calent nodded and leaned back into his chair, sighing with relief that that affair was over. It seemed everything was coming together, and he felt so tired. Closing his eyes, he lay there for a moment, before suddenly, he drifted off to sleep...
He seemed not to have mention to his wife he hadn't slept in days and, interestingly enough, as much as he could put on a face for others, remain the stead fast ruler all of Connlaoth needed him to be-
There he was, asleep soundlessly but a chair away from his wife's side.

It was around this time one of his servants came in to inform the Grand Duke his tax papers had come in, and upon seeing him on the chair, they gasped.

"I knew it wasn't right to let him become ignorant of his medicine! Stubborn man!" the woman scoffed. "He's been having trouble sleeping but claims his medicine makes him sleep too much and he feels worse for it. I've noticed the empty vials, so I know he hasn't been taking them all week. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't slept at all!"
And then shaking her head, she bowed before the Grand Duchess. "Forgive me. Shall I wake him?"

Ivory

The look Kathryn gave the servant was a slight frown.  She put a finger to her lips to keep the woman from waking the man.

Why on earth would they want him awake?  Let the man sleep, for Angsar's sake.  He was, after all, just a man -- and Calent's sleeping habits had always been poor.  As far as Kathryn was aware, he wasn't expected to attend some meeting or another...so let the man sleep.

Setting aside the invitations, she rose and spoke quietly to the woman.  "He ordered tea.  See that it is prepared and brought in, quietly, for him to enjoy upon waking.  And bring me some brandy for the tea."

Returning to her seat, she picked up the stack of papers again to begin forming a battle strategy.  Her husband may have been responsible for preparing for war, but it was she who smiled prettily to the nobles providing their soldiers and supplies.  Hmph.  And men thought they did all the work...

visualspice

It was almost an hour by the time he roused, his body jolting towards the end of his restless nap. As usual, when he closed his eyes, his nightmares came out. Memories, haunting him from a past unknown, bubbled forth as ghosted whispers goaded him through the murky forests of his mind. And it was grey- nothing in color as he looked around the familiar throne room in Allar. And yes.. everything ws grey... colorles...
Except the red..
the red on his hands, his clothes..
and then over at his father. HIs face, it was one of disbelief before he slumped onto the floor...
and as Calent looked down, he felt his hand slip outside of his father's chest-
holding his warm beating heart in hand....

He made a noise, a jerk as he awoke in his chair, a fist resting to his cheek, his other gripping the arm rest as he looked out at the room before him. Blinking, he wiped at the sweat on his brow and stretched within his chair, and turned to note his wife at his side, busy with paper work.
"How long have I been asleep?" he said, and noted the warm tea beside him.

Ivory

"About an hour," the Grand Duchess answered dispassionately after a quick glance at the clock.  It had actually been a good opportunity to get some work done.

Emboldened by the brandy, of which she took another sip, she asked plainly, "Still having nightmares, I see.  No wonder you look like you haven't slept in weeks."

Tags: