Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Slice of Lemon Cake

Started by visualspice, November 08, 2013, 11:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

Entrance from the Dance Hall

Janette's return to the music room was probably about as dignified as her exit, truth be told. But this time she was being carried, unconscious, by the Lords Carwick and Draven. With the help of Edward, Avery carefully maneuvered Janette onto one of the couches in the drawing room. Since most people were in the dance hall now (watching an entirely different mess unfold!), the girl would at least be able to get some rest here.

Once she was down, Avery turned to Edward. "I've already accomplished my first good deed of the night," he said in reference to Davishire and Jillian finally finding each other, "I may as well keep it up while I'm on a roll. No point in both of us looking after her." Also, Avery knew that this was one of Edward's first appearances at a social gathering since his wife died, and he didn't want the widower to have to spend his night with a drunk giant. "Plus," Avery added with a joking grin, "you don't want to miss all the excitement going on back there!"

Riley hung back, hiding behind a corner as he watched the two lords and his aunt. He really, really didn't want to see Edward now! But hopefully Edward would take up the other man's offer, then he could go take care of his most terrifying of aunts. Since he was the only one who would do it!

visualspice

"Yes, well, thank you for your help with this," Edward said, gesturing to Janette. But he seemed to ignore the man's suggestion as he fussed over her.
"Are you going to be alright? Are you even awake?" he asked, lightly shaking Janette's shoulder with one hand.
"I wonder if anyone has any smelling salts," he mused worriedly. "And I don't think I could leave a guest, knowing that she needs some attention."

It was here, the knight-in-training from earlier (a certain Killian Gryst) spotted 'Lady Allarrick's' fainted form and gasped as he trudged through the room and approached the two men.
"What has happened to Lady Allarrick? Is she ok? Should I alert the guards?"
For really, he was in quite a panic to see her state in such distress! The poor 'niece' of the Grand Duke!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Inwardly, Avery sighed. Why did he even try? Everyone seemed quite intent on having an awful night. "Really, Lord Draven, I'm perfectly capable and she isn't your guest." Or his, for that matter, but oh well. He looked rather amused at Edward's suggestion, though. Smelling salts. As though she were a lady fainting from exhaustion instead of a passed out drunk. "I don't think smelling salts are going to..."

But he was interrupted by the rather alarmed looking soldier. Apparently nothing could happen tonight without spiraling into a Situation. But, 'Lady Allarrick?' Someone clearly had their wires crossed. "There's really no need," he assured Killian (and Edward, too, for that matter!) "Lady Treyburn will be fine. She's just drunk and probably only needs to sleep it off until her family can take her home. I've seen much worse among soldiers on their first leave."

---

Oh, goodness, this was getting worse and worse! Riley just wanted everyone (or at least Edward!) to leave so he could take care of Janette without bothering people about it. It was bad enough all these scenes the Treyburns had caused, and now strangers were having to take care of his passed out drunk and terrifying aunt! It was all so embarrassing! But he didn't dare leave his hiding place while Edward remained. Riley was far too ashamed to face his new friend now... assuming Edward even still wanted to be friends with him!

visualspice

Edward sighed, but took a puzzled look over the 'Allarrick' comment. But... the man was right- but he still felt obliged to be with this fallen girl.
That was until he noticed Riley by the door.
"Excuse me for a moment. I.. think I have a friend here to check on me. ANd perhaps his Aunt as well." ANd he moved from Avery's side to the door to where he peered out into the hall and spotted Riley.
"Hello, Riley. Have you come to check on your aunt?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Brisinger987

((OOc: Oh god, Killian xD You planned this. Both of you. You planned to embarrass her))

Janette wasn't out for long, the adrenaline from seeing her brother get punched giving her huge amounts of energy. That and the alcohol being broken down while she was out. When she woke up, she just felt hungover.

"Oooooh, my head..." She looked around to see the knight from what she thought was last night, the guy she had been dancing with talking to Riley, and some other guy.

The knight.

Her first instinct said flee, her second said knock him out and flee and the third said try and lie. But Riley was their, so option three was out. Then option four occurred to her. Blame it on the drink.

"Morning all... How much did I drink? And where am I?" She acted like she couldn't remember as much as she did, and genuinely thought she had been out longer than a few minutes. She hoped to trick the guard into thinking it wasn't a conscious decision to call herself Lady Allarrick, and that she had done it more as a "crime of passion".

She was also curious as to why she hadn't woken up with Megraph slithering all over her. But she didn't know where she was, or how long she had been out. That much was genuine.

kleineklementine

((Haha, Janette would definitely NOT be even remotely sober by now! :P))

Oh no! He'd been spotted! Riley shuffled uncomfortably when Edward approached and didn't quite manage to meet Edward's eye when he answered. "Oh, yeah, of course. I had to come check on her after..."

But Riley stopped and looked suddenly alarmed. She was awake... and talking!

"See, oh, there she is!" he blurted out, and rushed over to Janette. Riley squeezed his way onto the couch, sitting so that Janette's head was resting in his lap. As though she were a sick child and he were a loving adult. "There, there, Aunt Janette! Hush now. You just rest now, that's all you need. Why don't you just rest here - quietly - with me?"

He even hugged her. Gross. Then looked up at the three assorted men and smiled a big, confident, and fake smile. "See? She's my favorite aunt," he lied, "so it's probably best if I just take care of her. Myself. I just love her so much."

He wasn't being a very convincing actor, but it was readily apparent that Riley was desperate for them to leave. Riley shifted uncomfortably. Then, to make things more convincing, pet Janette's hair to relax her. It's what his mom always did when he was sick, after all. "See, we'll be just fine. You just need to rest, don't you, Aunt Janette?"

Avery tried not to smile at the child's antics. He recognized the boy, having met him before while Karol was still alive - though he doubted Riley remembered him - but he seemed less acquainted with the boy than Edward. So Avery looked to see what Edward made oft he situation.

visualspice

Edward, for the moment, remained hanging by the door to ensure Riley would be ok. He felt a bit guilty, but seeing as there were now three men seeing to Janette...
"I shall see you later this evening, Master Riley," he called over to the child, and bowed before making his leave. BUt as he stepped out of the room, he found himself releasing a heavy breath.
By Angsar's soul, it has been quite the night! But he needed to collect his thoughts and made his way to the veranda...

Though the knight had registered what was said to him, he found himself blinking as he stuttered.
"But I met this lady in the game room d-during one of my rounds. She had... had told me she was.. was.. a niece to the Grand Duke."A nd he felt embarrassed, ashamed almost to say it, his cheeks, now turning red.
"Are you to say she is not an Allarick?" It was just too much for the poor knight in training to take in!

Brisinger987

((OOc: We'll blame it on the wine. We're in a fantasy universe, we can have wine like that. I think. Maybe it'll come back on her or something. xD))

Janette was worried if Riley was broken or something, as his behaviour was rather odd. Maybe Riley had drunk too much.

"I said that?" She knew she had said it. The only reason she faked forgetting was because she knew she had. She refused to have this knight get her thrown in jail. She would flee to Ferendipity first.

"I don't remember...." Janette kept her head in Riley's lap, a genuine headache coming on. Maybe if she kept telling herself she didn't remember, she might forget.

kleineklementine

((OOC: After some tampering of the Treyburn timeline, Riley is nine years old. He's just precocious!))

Riley heaved a sigh of relief after Edward left, but what lies had Janette been telling now? Lady Allarick, indeed! He gave Killian his best Innocent Child face when he answered, "Oh, you'll have to excuse her! She gets confused sometimes. Don't you, Aunt Janette?"

Then he lowered his voice to a stage whisper, "She's not right in the head."

Then he patted Janette sympathetically. "Don't worry, Aunt Janette. It's not your fault. You just rest now. I'll take care of you. You just lay there quietly, Aunt Janette."

Avery looked on amused. He couldn't help but see his old friend in the little boy, but he kept the thought to himself. "Do you always take care of your aunt, Master Gray? That's a responsibility."

"Oh no," Riley answered. He had to stay believable, and now that Edward was gone it wasn't quite as important to put a good face on the family. "Not always. But my uncle just got into a bit of a scuffle. So everyone else is a little occupied. But I'm very happy to get an excuse to spend some time with my favorite, favorite aunt!" Then, worrying that Janette would want to spring back up into action, he added with a clear threat in his child's voice, "But you just stay right here and rest, Aunt Janette!"

visualspice

Killian wasn't sure exactly how to take all of this in! He blinked a few times before releasing a breath he hadn't known he was keeping.
"D-do... Do you need any assistance?" The knight in training pressed. "Perhaps I could go get the lady some water?"

Brisinger987

Janette was actually slightly worried that someone had made Riley go insane while she'd been out.

She wanted the knight in training to cater to her. At least she could say who she actually was to keep him around now. I'm such a typical attention seeker...

God I love being an attention seeker.

She went to roll over, and the sober feeling she had devolved into a sickening feeling. Had she really been out that short a time that the alcohol was in her system? Apparently so.

kleineklementine

"Um, yes, sure, please," came Riley's uncertain answer to Killian's offer of getting water for Janette. "Yes, that's probably a good idea! I'll stay here with her. Thanks a lot!"

Maybe he'd pour the water on her head once the guard came back with it.

Riley waited a few moments after Killian went off on his errand then, once he was sure the knight was gone, Riley swat Janette hard on the back of he head. "What's wrong with you, Janette? Why are you always causing trouble?!"

Edit
((OOC: Oops! Forgot Avery was still here!))

Avery gave a short snort of laughter at the boy's admonition of his aunt. Despite the whap on the head Janette received, Avery didn't intervene. Not at the moment, anyway. Avery couldn't blame the kid for being annoyed with his drunk and troublesome aunt.

"Steady there, Master Gray. You don't want to make her sick while she's still using you as a pillow!"

Brisinger987

"What can I say? He's hot..." She smirked, feeling her drinks start to creep back up on her. That was her cover blown in other words. She adjusted to make herself comfortable. "What do you think it'd take to get him to carry me all the way back home to my room?" She thought out loud, before giggling.

"It was one itsy bitsy little lie... A woman's allowed to have her fun after all... Just, keep up the pretence that I didn't know I was doing it?" She smirked, pinching Riley's cheek playfully.

"Oh, you're still so innocent... But that makes it all the more fun..." Janette turned, remembering the other man stood nearby.

"You can go good sir, I'll be fine with my nephew here. At least it's good company... Not that I have any doubts you wouldn't be..." Janette was a bit more formal and courteous with the man, and not wanting to keep him from any suitors who were in slightly less of a state than her.

Internally she was fuming with herself over this. When Killian and Avery were gone, she needed to rant and rave about herself, ideally to Riley. Every time she came to these events, something along these lines happened. Every time.

kleineklementine

Riley swatted away Janette's hand when she pinched his cheek. Oh, he was so mad at her. But as much as he didn't really want to be alone with Janette, he figured it wasn't any better with the other man here.

Plus, she was saying more and more embarrassing things all the time. "It's really fine," Riley agreed. "I think he'll be back soon with the water. And I'm sure one of my uncles will come soon."

Avery, for his part, ignored Janette, but nodded to Riley. It was clear the boy was dying from embarrassment and he didn't particularly want to add to it. "Alright, Master Gray, if you're sure. But you feel free to come find me or give a shout if you need help, okay? My name's Avery Carwick. I was a friend of your father's, and I'd be happy to be of service to you."

Riley swallowed at the mention of his father, but nodded. "Thank you, Lord Carwick. I will." Then, when Avery left, he hit Janette hard upside the head again. "Will you stop it? You're embarrassing yourself and me and it's just gross! You might be having fun, but it's not fair if your 'fun' ruins everyone else's night!"

((I'll add Avery's exit when I decide where he goes...))

Brisinger987

"Oh, I had a little too much to drink. Your problem is that you're taking things a bit too seriously Riley. I passed out. It should be funny, not something for you to fret over." Janette smiled, sitting up slowly.

"And if you hit me once more, I will actually find you, wherever you're sleeping, and set Megraph down on you." She warned him sternly. She wouldn't tolerate a beating from her nephew.

"I'm seriously pissed off with myself! I do it every time, I come to balls and parties, hoping to pick up a guy, then I screw it all up! I envy Illi sometimes, able to fascinate herself in her fantasy worlds where she doesn't have to do anything to find the men she likes! She doesn't even have to leave the house to watch it all! Braxton found a wife, no doubt Illi has found a man, Cherie probably found one. Maybe Jan as well. For Angsar's sake, I bet even Oscar and Florry have got someone they want. And what do I have?" Janette let a tear run down her face, genuinely frustrated that she seemed to be the only unlikable person in her family.

kleineklementine

"Are you trying to make me feel sorry for you?!" Riley demanded. He wanted to smack her across the head again, but thought better of it in light of Janette's threat. He didn't think she really would, but... better not to test her.

"Maybe if you didn't get so drunk you wouldn't ruin it for yourself. I'm nine years old and even I can see that. And the way you act, Oscar and Florry and Illi and Cherie probably will find husbands and wives before you. Because they're nice to people... most of the time... and don't only think of themselves. People like people who are nice more than people who aren't. And people like people who aren't selfish more than people who are. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, maybe you could act like a nice person for a change."

Riley huffed, annoyed. "Didn't you go to school? How did you not learn that?"

"And I'm not too serious. Your'e too... un-serious! You probably don't even remember it, but the man who you were dancing with before you fell over drunk was maybe going to be my friend. I'm sure he won't want to be now. But of course you don't care about that."

Brisinger987

"You don't know the thrill though, none of you do. I'm not unkind... I treat myself, I don't maliciously attack anyone. I never have... I flirt a lot, yeah, but when am I genuinely unkind? Only to kids who deserve it. Kids who need to learn that there aren't nice people." Janette defended herself angrily, annoye that he didn't seem to get the point of what she was saying.

"And I'm not worried about the fact I haven't found someone yet. That wasn't the point I was trying to make... I'm worried that when the time comes, and I want to change, I won't be able to... That I'm addicted to this lifestyle... I'm already addicted to other stuff... But you didn't hear that last bit." Janette sighed. There was nothing worse than not thinking you can settle own and enjoy marriage.

"I want to live the calm life, but I don't know if I can take it... If I can make the change in myself. I love my life right now, but when I'm like this all I can think about is whether I will ever be able to find it in myself to change, or if I'm just going to do this till I get thrown in a cell to rot..." Janette was mostly lamenting to herself, but there was something about Riley. She wanted to confide in someone, and he was the easiest option.

She wanted to confide about all of it, the drugs, the drink, the sex, the stealing. All her emotions and thoughts. Maybe she did want to settle down, but only at times. Like now. But when she woke up tomorrow she would want to go and steal something.

kleineklementine

"Yeah, you're a real sob story, Janette," Riley remarked dryly. Another successful use of sarcasm! It was a skill he was just now getting old enough to use. And then he added seriously, "Just so you know, not caring about how your actions affect others counts as being cruel."

Really, had she not gone to school? How did she not know this stuff?

Before Riley could say more, though, Dahlia appeared in the doorway. She took a moment to take in the scene. Janette lying sick drunk (by all appearances) with only poor Riley attending to her. She didn't say anything at first, then asked tentatively, "And what are you two up to?" she asked.

Riley, feeling absolutely no loyalty to his aunt, jumped up off the couch, unconcerned about the fact that he'd been Janette's pillow. "Janette got super drunk," he immediately tattled. "She was even flirting with Trevian because she couldn't tell who he was. And she passed out on the ball room floor. And she told a guard that she was Lady Allarick."

Dahlia gave Riley a look that said 'that's enough' and the boy shut his mouth. She looked at her sister for a long time without talking and then, when she finally did, her voice was not admonishing or angry, just... tired, and perhaps unsurprised. "What's going on, Janette?"

Brisinger987

"Oh, of course my darling sister turns up..." Janette muttered as Dahlia turned up. She didn't like Dahlia. The woman was so... Janette didn't know why she didn't like Dahlia.

"I'm enjoying myself. Do you have a problem with that? Of course you do. My darling sister Dahlia, you have a problem with it. Otherwise you would have gone back to your life. Your boring repetitive life." Janette felt the alcohol working on her again, but not in the same way it had before. Now she was feeling much worse.

"I only wish I could settle down and do what you do! Live out the same regretful thoughts, over and over again. But I can't. It's an addiction. I have to get out, have to feel the thrill, but you, you're privileged, you get to sit and mope about your husband daily, and tend to two kids. I'm not that lucky. I'm lucky if I can sleep at night!" The incoherency and inconsistency of Janette's subject of rant was proof enough that she was still under the influence. She just didn't know it anymore.

"I can't sit still for more than 5 minutes! I don't know why! I don't get the privilege of the relaxing life of a family... I probably never will..." Janette had stood up in her heated babbling, and when she realised how alone she was always going to be, she sat down, and just began to cry. The alcohol had taken any reasoning centres away, and she was just ranting and crying because that was genuinely how she felt. Angry and upset at herself.

It was just the only thing she knew how to do. Throw her anger and upset at others.

Ivory

Entrance from The Creme Caramel

-----

Trevian had arrived just in time to hear the worst of it.  His mouth had opened, even as his face had darkened -- but the girl had forestalled the tongue-thrashing he was about to give her by bursting into tears.  His mouth snapped shut, almost comically, and he put a hand on Dahlia's shoulder as a gesture of comfort.

Because that had, perhaps, been the meanest thing their younger sister had ever done to anyone -- and she had quite the reputation.

But beyond that, he wasn't at all sure how to handle this...

(OOC: Just leaving it there so you can have Dahlia react!)