Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Spumoni, Strudel and Sweet Potato Pie

Started by visualspice, November 08, 2013, 02:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vivi

[Hmm, since Oscar and Valia are exiting stage left, I'll just finish up here.]

"Easy does it, milady!" Oscar tried to keep his laughter light, though with Lady Valia falling all over him thanks to the messy floor, it was certainly easier said than done. Carefully, he helped her upright again, taking her arm as best he could. "Let's not keep his Grace waiting, shall we?"

He led her away to the door through which the Duke and Duchess had left, the pair of them bedraggled and sore. This time, Oscar made sure they took their steps very carefully.

- - - - - - - - - -

Exit to 'A 'Sundae' Afternoon'

kleineklementine

"Ah yes, Jillian Treyburn!" Avery said to hide the grin on his face at Davishire's obvious discomfort. "I never can quite keep track of that lot. How many of them are there? Eight? Nine?"

As far as Avery was concerned, the pause between 'just' and 'discussing' was all the answer he needed! He thought about not pushing the point on account of what a wet blanket Davisher always was. But then the thought occurred to him that maybe the man just didn't get enough friendly teasing. Well, what the hell. It wouldn't kill Avery either if the night got a little light-hearted.

So he took a sip of his drink and casually people watched. "It must have been a rather exciting chapter of history." Avery cleared his throat, repressing a smirk.

visualspice

At the repeating of her name, Davishire could have jumped. Especially the way the man mentioned it. Glaring sharply over at Avery, he kept his wine glass close and wondered what the man's game was- and was that... a grin? Balderdash! If his feathers weren't ruffled enough! He tried to shake it off as he looked away, glowering as the man went on about the Treyburns.
"Yes... they have quite alot, I assure you." Though he knew enough of the particulars, he'd rather not go into any sort of detail.. He could only imagine- what if the Callister's family had been so big!? The horror! And he found himself needing to take a drink to erase that sort of idea!

Of course, that was precisely when Avery decided to mention their 'history' lesson, and Davishire suddenly choked on his drink.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Avery had to make a physical effort not to roll his eyes at Davishire's glare. He didn't for the life of him understand why Davishire was always so tightly wound and he wondered vaguely if he'd ever seen the man at ease... or having fun. Well, Avery was still rather appreciative of his deliverance from Lord and Lady Brisby, so not only did he not roll his eyes, but he decided he was going to make stuffy old Davishire have a fun night... whether he liked it or not!

Anyway, it'd provide him a shield from all the prowling gossips. But more importantly, it was the gallant thing to do!

Maybe choking wasn't the best way to start the endeavor. But then again, maybe it was. Avery clapped Davishire heartily on the back to clear the wine from throat. "Must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that!"

Without invitation, Avery removed Davishire's wine glass and pulled at face at it. "Here's your problem for one. Stay here and recover, I'll be right back." Clapping Davishire on the shoulder (lightly) Avery made a quick jog to the drinks table and back. He didn't want to give Davishire the chance to escape, and he didn't want to get ensnared again! He returned with two tumblers of amber scotch. "There you are," he handed one to Davishire then held up his own. "Cheers, Lord Callister."

visualspice

Luckily for Avery, it took Lord Davishire that long to recover. And when the scotch was presented to him, he stared at it skeptically, before accepting.
"And just what are we 'cheering', Lord Carwick?" he inquired, raising his glass, though not as high as Avery had.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

"Lighten up, Davishire, it's just a figure of speech." This might be harder than Avery bargained for. But he only paused for a beat before continuing, "But if you have to be so literal... Here's to Connlaoth and her noble and fascinating history."

Avery couldn't keep a smirk off of his face there, but he masked it by taking the obligatory drink.

visualspice

Even the soured Lord Davishire had to grin, raising his drink up higher.
"Yes... her interesting history..." and he knocked back some of the scotch, feeling he burn, and feeling a bit better. Then, with a pinky tapping to the empty glass, he mulled it over.
"So... what do you know about Lady Treyburn...? Are you two... acquaintances?"
Naturally, he meant the Treyburn who fancied books. "She seems to enjoy her history..."
And he wondered, before, how he had never come to meet her? Then again, there were quite a lot of Treyburns... and as he reflected back tot he library...
He still felt stiff with guilt.

kleineklementine

Avery raised an eyebrow in mild amusement at Davishire's already-empty glass. He'd poured just over two fingers and hadn't expected it to disappear quite so fast. Well, well! It looked like they were headed in the right direction, though. Was that even some form of a smile on Davishire's face? For a moment Avery considered refilling the man's glass right away, but decided it might be more polite (and wise) to wait until they were both dry.

"Hm," he mused, taking another sip, "not that one, no. Our little collision was our first meeting. I know Braxton and Trevian and I suppose I knew they had a slew of unwed sisters," he added that for Davishire's benefit! "And I was good friends with Karol Gray, so I suppose I'm a little acquainted with Lady Gray. But I have to admit I haven't had so many opportunities for social engagements in recent years. Only got pulled away from my company to come here because the Duke and Duchess Carwick couldn't attend and thought it important I go in their stead."

Avery looked sidelong at Davishire. He certainly believed that the man didn't quite have the social charm to ingratiate himself with the Treyburn clan.

"I don't understand, though, why you're asking me about her when you had her alone in that cozy study!"

visualspice

Had he been drinking his scotch, he would have choked on that, too. He felt his throat go stiff, and his eyes, a bit wide, and suddenly he felt the collar on his suit nearly strangle him. Reaching a hand up to loosen it- (damn, undoing one button would have to do..) and let his neck get some air as he sighed.

"Yes, well, it seems I am unwanted by that family. Her brother and sister chased me out." And he went to take a drink- but it was already gone.

kleineklementine

Oh boy, maybe the Lord Davishire did need another drink. Avery could feel the man's discomfort from here! Well, his demeanor was already improving after one drink, so he took the empty glass from Davishire and refilled it (with three fingers this time). "Easier on that one, though, huh?"

Avery couldn't say that he was shocked by the news that Davishire had been chased out by the girl's family. "Well, whether you were discussing history or not, it does look a bit untoward, alone with an unwed young woman away from the glaring view of the ball." Avery considered the situation, unconsciously swirling his drink slightly. "Alright, well, there's a whole pack of them. So which Treyburns haven't you clashed with? We'll go from there."

visualspice

Davishire sighed before giving a more soured frowned.
"I'm not worried with whom I had not run into, Lord Carwick. But I do believe the lot of them to hate me. Jillian- erm, well, Lady Jillian is the only one of consequence to me." And he went stiff, looked at his drink, then away.

"I still owe her an apology as I'm embarrassed to admit my reactions and actions unto her were less than gentlemanly. Mind you, this was, in other words, in the discussion of books and their... condition." To that, he took a short sip and looked uncomfortably away after he cleared his throat.

"Though I dare say I ruined it with that one. She was... rather interesting to say the least. It's.. hard for me to actually interact with women at times. Most.." he said, crinkling his nose. "Annoy me like the squawking of hens." He looked down at his glass and took- yes.. another sip. "Jillian, er.. Lady Treyburn, that is, seemed to at least have some sort of head on her shoulders."

kleineklementine

"I think you'll find that most women have heads on their shoulders, Davishire," Avery remarked dryly. He opted not to add, Not all women are Callister women. "At least as often as men do, anyway."

But Avery frowned at Davishire's reasoning. Avery didn't consider himself the most natural socialite, but Davishire clearly just didn't understand how things worked. "Look, though, listen to what you've said so far. You were having your, ah, fascinating history discussion, right?" Avery wasn't going to ask - yet - just how 'ungentlemanly' the other man had been. With anyone else, Avery would have thought all this book talk was euphemism, but Avery was starting to take Davishire at face value. "And then what did you say happened? You were 'chase off by her family?' Correct? Do you want to talk to her again? Without anyone running you off? How do you think that's going to work if 'the lot of them hate you?'" Avery greatly doubted the entire Treyburn clan actually gave Davishire that much thought, but he'd humor the man for now.

He smiled and took another drink "And you never know. It might be to your advantage one day to make some inroads with them."

"So," he repeated, "which Treyburns haven't you clashed with?"

visualspice

Davishire sighed, wanting nothing more than to knock back the rest of his drink.

"There's so many of them, I forget their names." That made him wrinkle his nose. "But it doesn't matter if the family head already disapproves. Braxton Treyburn found me beside Miss Jillian and  she was in tears. When I explained, the youngest, the young Lady Cherie, I believe, had seen me out. I don't think there was any debating of their feelings towards me." And he lightly touched his jaw, thinking about the punch.

"I didn't mean to cause a scene, but I had gotten ahead of myself and more than upset over some wine spilled on the text books." He sighed and looked down at his glass. "I also misconstrued what the young girl was trying to do. Jillian, she.... for some reason or another, was researching something to show me." And he grew quiet as he looked at his glass.

Yes, he supposed he should put an end to thinking about her- but that very idea agitated him, and he took another stiff drink. The scotch, by now, was nearly gone, and he, burning a bit for it, his cheeks, lightly red.

Sighing, he turned to Avery. "I am sorry, Lord Carwick. I do not wish to vent. It seems, as I've found in my travels this evening, a lot of guests are most unhappy. You said you are familiar with Lady Gray? I spoke with her on the veranda. Funny thing is, she was speaking to me about her distaste for this war." Shaking his head, he tapped another finger to his glass, pursing his lips in thought.
"Come to think of it, I.. was rather rude to her too." And he blushed, ashamedly, looking down at his glass. "I fear this night does not bode well." At least for him and any of these Lady Treyburns. Or.. even the Lords.

"But it won't matter. Perhaps I shall retire early, before the dancing. They do start those things far too late, anyway."

kleineklementine

"Oh no you won't. You're not a lost cause yet."

Even as Avery said it, he wasn't entirely sure that he believed it! Lord Davishire's predicament was, he had to admit, slightly worse than Avery had imagined. He even winced a little when Davishire got to the part about Cherie Treyburn punching him. And the bit about making Jillian cry wasn't much better. It was probably worse. Especially the bit about Braxton walking in on Davishire with his crying little sister. Avery tried not to think too hard on how forgiving he'd feel if the same happened with Bryony. And all of this because of the condition of some books? Avery was going to have to talk to him about his priorities at some point...

And Angsar's beard, Dahlia too?

"Well, the wars tend to leave people unhappy. Especially the widows, so I wouldn't take that too personally," Avery said encouragingly, trying to pull something positive out of the night's account. Okay, maybe not positive, but at least not negative... well, not negative against Davishire... Avery sighed. This was not going to be easy.

"I realize this won't help tonight, but in the future you might remember the old axiom that 'prevention is the best medicine' and not bring a girl to tears over spilled wine and dusty old books. But it's a bit too late for that now." Avery took a thoughtful sip of the scotch, musing over the issue. "I suppose since you certainly are staying until the dancing, if you can manage to grab her for a dance, then there's really nothing anyone can do until the dance is over. Not without causing a scene. Then you get enough time to explain yourself... or at least to apologize."

Avery thought for a moment, and then shrugged. "Well, worst case scenario: if you can't make amends tonight, you could always make a gift to her of one of your own history books."

visualspice

Lord Davishire Callister raised a sharp brow at Avery's comment, and would have commented, but simply shook his head. Even as the man tried to justify what had happened, and even suggest he try to make this up with a dance, he waned to flat out tell him no!
But part of him contemplated it, and it had been a while since he had ever cared to dance...
"A dance and apology? Surely you would not see me being so cruel to that girl."
It was hard to tell by the tone of Davishire's voice if that was a joke or not. But then at the last statement, he fumbled over the right way to react so all he found himself doing was staring at Avery.

kleineklementine

This time Avery did roll his eyes and gave staged and exasperated sigh. "Are you always so difficult, Davishire?"

Then he continued , patiently explaining, "Well, it sounds like you've already been cruel to the girl. So forgive me if I'm overlooking some unknown social more, but I fail to see the particular harm in a dance. It gives you a chance to talk to her and apologize, which it's sounding more and more like you need to do, for a set amount of time during an established social convention. No one – I don't think – is going to pull you out of a dance to start a fight. Plus it gives her the chance to accept or not accept your apology without being under the direct gaze of her family. Then if she does accept," Avery gave a little shrug, "you can go from there."

Avery watched Davishire for a moment to gage his reaction. "Of course," he said lightly, "this is all advice from one bachelor to another, so take it with a grain of salt if you like." He took a sip of his drink and gave Davishire a look of polite curiosity. "Unless you'd rather leave the offense unrectified and leave the ball without a single word of apology to a young lady you brought to tears?"

visualspice

OOC: Some mild language warning! *wags finger at Davishire's soured mood!*
--------

"I.." Lord Davishire began before sighing over his drink. He lowered the scotch and stared down at Avery. "I hate to say it, Lord Carwick. But you have a point and I-" And then, over hearing the announcement being made by the Grand Duke's visor the dancing was to begin, he felt himself sweat as he glanced over in that direction and muttered, "Angsar's balls..."
This was going to be a long night.

kleineklementine

"Yes, I know,"Avery answered smugly, "but I'm glad to hear you've finally come around." Avery looked over at Davishire, debating whether or not to tease the man a bit more. The decision was 'yes.' "I know you civilian men can be a bit soft from time to time, but there are far worse things than dancing with a young lady!"

Then it was as if the Grand Duke himself was on Avery's side as the ballroom music began to play. Avery beamed and clapped Davishire on the back. "There we go! Perfect timing! Now let's get you into the ballroom before you've had a chance to change your mind..."

With that, despite the difference in their statures, Avery grabbed the cuff of Davishire's shirt, steering him towards the ballroom.

And they both exit to the ballroom!