Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Apple Fritters and First Kiss Jitters

Started by visualspice, November 08, 2013, 04:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Aella blinked, and despite not reacting at first, it took her some time to digest what he was saying through his accent.
"So what are you doing here?" she pressed. "You're not nobility..." then she paused to consider with a gasp, "Are you?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Laighean smirked at her, "Uh...well, that all depends on yer definition of it. Ah'm not Connlaothian nobility. Aerona is...or was a kingdom. That's quite a thing t' explain there. Judgin' by how ye local folks react t' magic, ah probably shouldn't say much more about that," Laighean chuckled but then looked curiously at her, "But let's get t' the easier question, shall we? Ah'm here because ah needed to er..." Steal from your mother? Guardian! He couldn't look her in the eyes and say that!

"Uh, well , ah was curious. See, in Aerona we don't -we didn't 'ave grand parties like this indoors with fancy clothes an' masks 'n stuff. Ah've read about sooch things in other countries , but ye know readin' an' experiencing is hardly the same thing. So ah thought ah'd joost pop in fer a spell and check it out. Ah ne'er thought ah'd see ye here. Enough bout me though, what bout ye? What are ye doin' 'ere on yer lonesome? " He looked around for her mother or a jealous man but he didn't see anyone. " Seems a crime t' leave sooch a sweet an' fair lass without company. S'ppose it's joost my luck though, aye?" He laughed. 

visualspice

Naive as she was-
she bought it, which made her relax a bit, realizing he wasn't there to cause trouble. But at his last comment, her lips flattened, eyes widened, and her entire face turned red as the punch she had tried to pour earlier.

"Erm, I... the thing of that is.."she said, lowering her gaze and giving a timid pull to her skirts. "I haven't married." And she said that almost too quietly for him to catch. She chewed on her lower lip."My mom has been pushing me to find someone but I..."

Failed each time? Not really, well- sort of! This idea of talking to boys was just so complicated and difficult! What was she supposed to say anyway? She always felt like she couldn't relate,and her mind never let her focus on what she REALLY wanted to say, so even the few cute boys she would have considered trying to strike up a conversation with...
Ended in utter, utter fail.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Laighean shrugged, "So? Ah'm not either an' believe me, it's a fact me mother ne'er fails to let me ferget! 'Laighean! Yer not gettin' any younger!' says she,' Ye need to settle down an' give me some grandchildren!' " He chuckled and shook his head, "Ah, but ne'er mind that. Tha' doesn't explain why ye're alone ,princess. Yer a nice lass. Lasses like ye t' chatter 'n travel in groups, aye? So where's yers? "

She wasn't going to tell him that she had no friends because that would have made him feel so horrible for her! It made him wish that his little sister were here. Fi would make a great friend, he wager. 

visualspice

"Oh... you mean friends?" she asked, blinking at him before quickly averting her gaze back to her dress as her gloved hands fidgeted over some lace and feathers.
"I ... I mostly just stay with my mother. I mean, I see my cousins from time to time but, oh, rarely as of lately- all of them are busy witht he war and I.. well, I do like to read a lot so I er..."
and she saw the look he was giving her as she responded witha blink, "What? Oh my god, is there punch on my face?"
And she moved a gloved hand to check

Paradox

Laighean laughed a little and shook his head. Poor lass! Wasn't she a ball of nerves? "Relax. There's nary a thing wrong with th' way that ye look. Ah was joost - ah'm sorry. Ah dannae mean t' stare. Ah cannae help it. Ye're quite bonnie.  " He winked at her and then settled into a slightly more serious disposition because he felt sorry for her. "Ye 'ave no friends at all? That's horrible! " And then he had a brilliant idea , "Well, tell ye what. Ye can be me friend, ifn' ye fancy th' idea."

Of course he imagined that she'd say something about how her mother wouldn't approve and how he was some wanted criminal in Hellvion or he was a mage or something silly that made no sense to him.

"So, what are ye s'pposed t' be, anyway ? Some kind o' birdie?  Why do people dress silly like this anyways? " It really was just the strangest thing! 

visualspice

Aella felt her heart seize at his idea- and for more reasons than one! And her cheeks weren't the only things turning red.
"I.." she began to say, then dropped her wine goblet as she fidgeted over it as it landed iwth a CRASH at their feet. Sparkles of broken glass shards twinkled between them as she looked around at the approaching servants who were making quick wokr to clean it up.

"Oh! I'm so sorry about that! I hadn't mean to do it!" And after she realized she was doing more harm than good in telling the servants how truly sorry she was, she backed away, wringing her hands about as she frowned with a sigh.

"Angsar save me, I can't do anything right today." she said with another forlorn sigh as she looked away from him. And then, recalling his question from earlier, she frowned even more so at her purple nightingale costume.

"I'm.. supposed to be a bird." she began to explain, sighing again. "A nightengale." And she fluffed a loose feather from her mask out of her eyes. "And these balls are meant to be fun, exciting! You get to wear a  mask and use t to play pretend! To be somethign you normally cant' be!" and boy was she so excited and animated as she explained. "Just look at all the pretty dresses and masks and costumes all around us. I mean, I think it's pretty neat, and dfeinitely something different. I mean, imaging if you were really a tiger! I.. I'd probably be screaming and running away! But on a night like this, you can be friends!"

And these sort of animals werne't her stuffed kidn! THey wer e'real'!

Paradox

Laighean flinched as her glass shattered on the floor. He watched the servants swiftly clean up and looked a little more than impressed with how promptly they had arrived and made the mess vanish as though it never were! "Wow. These people are efficient."

He shook his head and smiled at Aella's somewhat sad attempt to profuself apologize for her clumsiness.

"Don't be so 'ard on y'self. It was joost an accident. No 'arm done, " Laighean reassured her.

Laighean gave Aella a curious look as she explained what he presumed she thought was the ball's purpose. In truth, he already sort of knew but he let go on because her excitement and naiveté was cute. He grinned when she finished, "Me sister would 'ave loved this. It does sound fun. So , since ah'm a tiger 'n all, ah s'ppose ah should try to sound more like one like Graaaawr! Ah'm a great 'n big, terrifyin' king 'o beasts!" He puffed out his chest and tried to make himself look bigger and scarier (he looked more ridiculous than anything else).The old woman at the snack table across the way stared at him as though he were insane. "How's tha' for ye? " He grinned at her.

visualspice

Aella gasped, then jumped back a little at his 'roar', which had her glancing around to see if anyone had been seeing that. And great, more people were staring! Grabbing onto his hand, she looked directly into his eyes.
"Oh! I didn't mean like that I just!" Oh! How the people stared! Her face was pink by now as she shook her head.
"Ijust meant like- pretend.." and she blinked, and added, unsurely, "Like.. keep it.. inside our own heads?"
Great, now she sounded like a loon!

Paradox

Laighean looked around at the people giving him odd looks and laughed. He was really tempted to roar a second time , but poor Aella looked a bit mortified so he decided to behave himself.

"Oh. Well why didn't ye joost say so in th' first place?" Laighean chuckled. "Although it's not as fun t' 'ave to keep it all in yer, 'ead if ye ask me! " Well, it was true and Fi would have agreed with him!

He glanced down at her hand clasping his. Smiling and winking , he added humorously, "Has anyone e'er told ye that ye've got purrrrrfect eyes, Lady Nightingale? "

(( The cheese had to happen!!!))

visualspice

When the man seemed to agree, she wilted a bit with relief, but when he leaned forward and looked into her eyes and delivered that line, her eyes went cross and then, when what he said settled in, her face went red as a beet.

"I-" she began, in nothing louder than a peep. "I.."
And before she could even faint or reply, she spotted someone heading their way.
"Oh my god! My mother!" And then to him, she grabbed onto his shoulders and gave a shove. "You need to hide!"

Paradox

At the mention of Aella's mother, Laighean's face paled and he felt himself breaking out into a cold sweat. He'd never met the woman, but he knew enough about her during his stay in Hellvion to know that if she saw him getting too friendly with her daughter that he was a dead man.

"Oh crap!"

His eyes searched about the room wildly for some escape route , but there were costumed people everywhere and really no place that could conceal him except...

He dropped down to his knees and dove under the table and it wasn't until he was halfway under it that he realized this probably made him look extremely suspicious. "Oh no! Ah seem to 'ave lost me uh... ring!" He announced loudly just so people wouldn't think that he was drunk; most of the nobles that noticed his antics thought precisely that, however.

visualspice

Walking past his jutting ass, Melora didn't bother to give him a second look as she stepped around him and over towards her daughter. Dragging her cape up off the floor and resting it to her side, she peered over at Aella with some scrutiny.

Her mother was an imposing figure, bold and beautiful, with the most decadent costume at the party. With a dress that was shimmering with two-tones, like jewels, and true diamonds and sapphires and violet and yellows gems glittering off her drss and mask, and plenty of peacock feathers lining the top of her cape- she appeared a regal figure of beautiful and decadence.

"All alone are you?"

Aella found herself paling beneath her mother's gaze.
"No, well, yes, I mean, I was for a little bit. I mean just now, you know, just to have enough time to erm, get something to eat?"

Melora smiled, though it was a feigned facade of sweetness. She shook her head,a nd patted her daughter lightly upon the shoulder

"Come now dear, you're too pretty now to be all by yourself. Chin up," and she placed a dark finger nail beneath Aella's chin to lift her gaze. "I've got a few people for you to meet." And after catching General Serenus's gaze int he crowd, she turned away from him. Damn that man for not helping her get Aella paired with Calent!

Taking Aella by the hand, she made off with her, Aella only gasping, but not about to protest as she spared one glance over her shoulder towards Laighean's ass in the air.

Paradox

Laighean remained where he was , not daring to move or make much of a sound. It was silly though, really. The Duchess had never met him. She probably wouldn't recognize him and the mask helped. However, when he heard Melora say that she was going to introduce her daughter to people , Laighean presumed what Melora really meant was that she was probably going to try to shove her daughter into some awkward arrangement with strange men.

He waited until the women had departed before he started to rise to his feet and - "oof!" He bumped his head on the table. He backed out from under the table and looked around the room to see which way Melora had gone off. He spied Aella being dragged away by a peacock lady and grabbed a wine glass from the table and followed after them at a safe distance.

visualspice

In the far corner was a group of men, most very well presented in their fabulous costume littered with decadent flare. And they were all, as far as she could tell, very handsome beneath their masks, but it turned out, it wasn't the group of them Melora wanted Aella to speak with, for her and the gentleman in the center were called over to a more private conversation near the veranda.

Aella, nervous as always, swallowed the lump in her throat as she was lead away, fussing over her feathered tail as she went. And as they went, she was trying to figure out what costume the man dawned, and it wasn't until her mother spoke up that she realized...

"Lord Draven, what a handsome attire you present. To think, you're dressed as the great God, Angsar."

Aella gaped at her mother's words, taking in Draven's attire in fascination. The armor was exquisite, appearing an antique that had been brought to life from all of those stories she read. Eventually, she was able to close her lips- not realizing that as they conversed, the man behind the metal mask as Laighean's brother!

Paradox

Weaving his way through the crowd, Laighean contemplated how he might get close enough to see if Melora wore the necklace that matched the description of the pendant that he was searching for. Maybe he could snatch it from her and run? No. That wouldn't work. Maybe he could try asking for it? Haha...right. Or maybe Aella could help him get it ? The latter-most thought seemed to be the best option.

Melora had led Aella to a man taller in stature than he was and Laighean kept enough distance from them to hear Melora speak his name.

Draven!? Crap! What is he doing here!?

If Draven saw him here without their sister, he'd kill him. Fiona had been left in the company of the kindly old lady who ran a small ,but respectable inn here in Reajh known as The Quiet Haven. Fiona had taken to the old woman and her cat and Laighean had left, promising that he'd only be away for an hour or two though not before slipping old Gwin Renfold a gold piece and leaving her explicit instructions not to let his sister wander off on her own. Laighean now wished he'd brought Fi with him now and not because of Draven but because his sister would have loved to dress up and pretend to be a tiger or a bird or...

Ansgar, Draven? Really? How arrogant was it to dress up as a God? Laighean shook his head and lifted his wine glass to his lips, sipping some wine and wondering what the hell Draven was playing at.

visualspice

"Yes, I've traveled quite a long distance to come here today. I had many propositions to make, but figured I'd begin my proper introductions with the Hellvion women." And he took Melora by the hand and kissed the top of it, then turned to Aella and did the same.

A flush consumed her face as she gaped at the way he was looking at her, but then Draven quickly turned to her mother. THeir conversation went on, for well, quiet a while, and if you asked Aella what he had been saying she couldn't have guessed! She was seeing stars for a time, and then when her mother excused herself to leave Aella alone- she just knew she set it up in hopes Aella might find this man comfortable enough to consider garnering a courtship!

Oh! And how sweaty her palms became and how red her skin felt. Even her ears were burning as she took up  a drink- she must've been on her third by now.. and downed it.

"So.. Aella.." Draven began with a grin once they were alone. "Your mother tells me you like books."

Paradox

Laighean waited for an opening and as he watched his brother chat Aella up, he wasn't aware of how tightly he was gripping his wine glass until it shattered in his hand and scattered to the floor. He had no idea how the servants knew this would happen, but they seemed to just show up out of nowhere and clean the mess up before his mind could even register what had happened. "Guardian, they're efficient. " Were they following him around or something, waiting for him to make a mess? Nah. That'd be creepy.

He saw his chance to cut in on Draven and Aella's conversation when Melora had slipped off. He walked right up to them and cleared his throat, " Lord Draven, Lady Aella, so good to see ye. " His eyes settled on Draven and he gave his brother one of those "Bro, what the hell? " looks. 

visualspice

When a man cut in, at first, Draven tried to ignore him, but after doing a double take, his eyes widened, then narrowed sharply with a dark anger.
"Laighean.." he said, his voice low, but sounding powerful, almost threatening. "What are you doing here?"

And Aella blinked, glancing from Draven over to Laighean as she gasped.
"You.. you two.. know one another?"

Draven's eyes narrowed, as if daring Laighean to mention that day in the closet.

Paradox

Inwardly, that look Draven gave him intimidated Laighean because it was something he'd rarely seen from his brother, but Laighean was stubborn and refused to show it. He glared back , his expression making no effort to hid how agitated he was.

"Ah should ask ye th' same thing. What's the deal, brother? Ye left me an' Fi alone back at that stinky ol' inn without so much as a damned word." He loved his sister, but it pissed him off to no end that Draven always took off without an explanation and this was acceptable because he was the eldest and their King, yet when Laighean went and did the same thing it was irresponsible of him and he ended up being treated like a selfish brat despite his intentions,  "I went lookin' for ye, o' course! What did ye expect? " This was partially true . He had been on the lookout for Draven but he also had thought to nab Melora's pendant on his own and prove to Draven that he wasn't a child and could get things done. "  Fi's safe at the inn. Ah left 'er wi' the inn lady. "