Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Creme Caramel

Started by visualspice, November 10, 2013, 08:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Well, maybe she married him because she deserves it," he grumbled, still trying to digest all of this as his head was swimming with alcohol. But it was too late, he already felt like shit.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Trevian laughed out loud and poured himself a new drink.  "I think you may have drank those too quickly.  Maybe you should go lie down somewhere quiet and sleep it off.  I'm sure things will look better in the morning."

He certainly wasn't going to share for free -- especially not when the man he was talking to might rat him out as the culprit!

visualspice

Dekka waved the idea off and sulkingly looked at his drink. ANd he stared at what remained of it, still frowning.
"Why do people assume the Grand Duchess had a lover? Did she not present herself so well in public?"
As far as he was concerned- she had been perfect, and he knew that was a skill she had acquired. But... had she really taken a nose dive in the last few years?
He thought back to what the man said: The duchess lost a child, was arguing with her husband, there's a war going on (no doubt she'd played a role..) and then him.. having disappeared without so much as a letter...

But surely she had to realize how dangerous things were.... right?
Then again..
That never stopped him before.

Rubbing at his eyes, he rose from his chair. "Maybe I should take your advice. This stuff taste like shit anyway."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

"Because people like to gossip," Trevian answered, watching the man rise.  "And they like to be hurtful.  Some of the most faithful women in Connlaoth are assumed to be having affairs -- and the most faithless women are rarely spoken of at all.  People are drawn to the intrigue."

No, the Grand Duchess had, in fact, been very careful...right up to the end.

He sipped his drink, looking absolutely smug.

"But the evidence is always there, if you know where to look."  And who to talk to.  "Even a thief could find it."

visualspice

Dekka was about ready to leave, but paused a moment, catching the last phrase . Turning to Trevia, he looked him squarely in the eyes.
"What did you say?"

Ivory

Trevian chuckled quietly.  "I thought so.  I'm very good at what I do."

He half-turned in his seat to regard the man in front of him.  Dekka had, after all, done what pretty much everyone else always did around Trevian: regurgitated a ridiculous amount of personal information.

"If you still want to hear more, the offer is still on the table, Mr. Blade."  He gestured to the seat beside him.  "My price is very reasonable.  You are, after all, one of the involved parties.  Information...or, if you like, a kiss."  He smirked broadly.  Reasonable prices, indeed!

visualspice

Dekka, not amused by Trevian's words, or the look on his face, took a few long strides to put himself right in front of the man. They were only a few inches apart, Dekka looking menacingly into his eyes as he looked the other man over, his eyes steeled and full of anger.

"This isn't a fucking game. And if it were, I'd be making the fucking rules," Dekka growled between his teeth. "Now, we can either start... discussing things like civilized gentlemen, or I'm going to start bashing in your pretty fucking face."

Ivory

Trevian's grin only widened.  He looked, for all the world, like he was watching a little puppy romp through a field with his over-sized paws and big, floppy ears...

"You have an interesting concept of civilization," Trevian answered, clearly unwilling to back down.  "You've given enough away to me -- a total stranger -- to reveal not only your identity, but also your purpose here.  Are you really going to give up your freedom, too, for a show of bravado that she isn't even here to see?"

Trevian poured out two glasses and slid his back in front of the empty seat.

"Sit.  If I honestly meant to do either of you harm, do you think I would ask for a kiss as payment?  Kisses are gestures of good-will, are they not?"

visualspice

"I don't think you fucking know me that well," Dekka sneered, jerking out his chair before he dropped back into it with a glare cast Trevian's way. "But I'm not here to fucking play around. What's your game?"

Ivory

"If you'll excuse me saying so, you aren't a difficult man to figure out."  Ergo, why it was so simple to identify the fox!  "Arrogant, but not without reason, charming -- though no one said you had such a mouth on you.  Narcissist, but clever enough not to get caught.  You have more tricks up your sleeve than I do -- and, believe me, that is impressive.  Self-titled King of the Thieves.  Fire mage."  He grinned.  "You are the most wanted man in Reajh, after all."  It didn't take someone of Trevian's caliber to put all of that information together.  "And from what I hear, you love games."

Trev took a drink from his glass, savoring the taste a moment before going on.  Well, they all loved games, didn't they?

"As for what I want...  There's been enough ugliness at this ball.  I would hate to see it spoiled further."

visualspice

Dekka only laughed, almost a spitting of noise before he took the other man in to properly regard what he was saying.
"Game in this society are a deadly dance. Approaching me puts your own self at risk." And here, he titles his head curiously. "So what don't we get to those facts you keep skirting around. I might be a man of some reserve, but I'm fucking pissed and drunk- and I wouldn't mind going down with your nose inside your face. So tell me something clever I don't know, or I'll leave you here without a bone."

Ivory

"But you still haven't paid me," Trevian answered, unintimidated.  Really, he had principles -- and he refused to give up those principles just because someone was threatening him!

It was the Treyburn blood, likely.  Still, he could give the man a little taste...

"How about how I recognized you?  A noble with whom I am unfamiliar -- rare, but possible.  Too old to be an uninitiated son, too young to be an officer of sufficient rank to attend.  You were not drunk when you came into this room, but you have been drinking since you arrived -- and I assumed something had happened to anger you while you were here, which you confirmed.  It is interesting you responded to my lure by naming the Grand Duchess over the Grand Duke...  Unlike the Duke, she does not shape policy, and so, I thought, it must be something personal.  The fact you kept referring to the Grand Duke as her husband -- and with such venom! -- confirmed as much...and something more.  You look on her as a woman -- and her husband an obstacle.  You've no idea how society, polite or otherwise, views the Grand Duchess, which meant you were either a foreigner or someone who travels in...very different circles.  And you yourself gave me the last piece: for a man so unfamiliar with the Grand Duchess and the rumors pertaining to her person, you seemed to take for granted the fact she had once had a lover.  In fact, you were more concerned about her feelings and her appearance.  It suggest you knew about the affair -- but as a participant, rather than a blackmailer.

"So, here we have a man who came to the ball who does not belong.  He appears to care deeply for the Grand Duchess, but he is inexplicably angry with her and the fact she has a husband.  And he is not surprised to learn she is rumored to have had an affair.  I assume you tried to speak to her, and she refused your advances?  Nevermind, that's not important.  What is important is that there is but one man who fits each and every one of those statements: Dekka Blade."

His eyes were shining in triumphant humor.

"If it's any consolation, I believe she truly must have loved you...or not even I, with all of my friends, would have ever learned of your trysts."

visualspice

Dekka adjusted the way he now sat in the chair before the other gentleman- and the story was sobering. He seemed to know a lot- and despite Dekka thriving on gossip, it was almost as if he had heard this story for the first time. Then again, no one else was wise enough to piece together his identity from just a few slips of tongue...
So their affair HAD been as famous as he had liked.
Too bad the end result was not in his favor.

The swell in his chest was short lived as he released a breath and felt the knot in his gut tighten all the more.
"Yes, well it seems this fucking story comes to a fucking end on a fucking night like this." And he turned away, ready to down more alcohol  but paused to frown sourly.

Ivory

Trevian sighed.  "I'm a sucker for a tragic romance," he murmured, although the comment seemed to be to himself.

"Alright, alright, I'll come clean, since you're so determined to sit there and mope like that.  But I don't know if you'll like what you hear."  He paused.  "And feel free not to take any offense."  Offense, in this case, could mean being punched again...or, possibly, stabbed.

"What I know is this.  She looked for you.  In fact, she hired people to find you.  It was very discrete, but it was there.  She must have feared you dead, because she eventually stopped searching after nearly a year.

"This all began right around the time their son took ill.  Doctors said he would never recover...and they were right, of course.  Poor little thing died four long months later, just six months shy of his second birthday."  A terrible thing for any mother...but the story got better.

"When the child began to worsen, the Grand Duke left to inspect the borders.  She wrote him dozens of letters asking him to return.  He finally did...nearly a month after he had died.  It's little wonder she was searching for you."

visualspice

Dekka was quiet- perhaps too quiet as his fingers fidgeted over his half-drank glass. Turning away, he blinked a lot, a hand peeling down his face as he tried to take this all in.
"Foolish girl," he muttered, and pushed his drink aside so that it fell off the table, crashing onto the ground.
"Well, it was lovely to hear that gossip from you." And he moved to rise from his chair, but paused before turning. "By the way.." And here, he tossed a small momentum to Trev for his time- a ring plucked from one of the Treyburn's. "You can give your sister her ring back." And with a smirk, and a slight nod upwards of his head, he turned and made his leave, hands in his pockets, and his fox tail, now reattached, partially swishing against his behind.

Ivory

"I knew you liked games," Trev noted triumphantly as he stuck the ring in his pocket.  "And you still owe me a kiss!" he added cheerfully as the man headed out.

That was a man who had fallen in a pit of quick sand...and he still didn't quite seem to know it.

-----

Exit to A Slice of Lemon Cake

visualspice

Even as drunk as Dekka was when he left the game room, he realized something was off. The air was more tense as he attempted to return to the party- and well...
a dark smile crept across his lips as he realized...
the Grand Duchess sent her guards to keep watch.

Let 'em try to find me. ANd he moved with stealth and grace, zig-zagging his way into the crowd- just as the music began to play.

It was time to dance.

Ivory

There had not been time to tell Calent what had happened -- well, the lie, anyway.  Instead, the dancing had been announced, and she had been hustled out onto the floor for an all-too-public dance with her husband.

And this was something which had to be shared in private.

And before long, those out on the dance floor were switching partners with a twirl of skirts and a pretty curtsy, and her chance to tell Calent anything at all was gone...

Although she was expecting him to appear at any moment -- to do any number of unspeakable things -- she was unaware of him creeping closer to her through the crowd.

visualspice

Perhaps, had the poor Grand Duchess been paying any attention, she would have realized that as she was exchanged between twirling dance partners, the fox was creeping her way. ANd at the end of the line while she was passed off from one animal (a dog, no less) to a fox, the smile on his face said all that was needed as he pulled her suddenly close, before continuing to throw her out in rhythm with a twirl. ANd when she came back to him, he spoke simply her name.
"Kathryn. I think we need to talk."
And naturally, he was hoping for it to be alone.

Ivory

Kathryn gasped softly as she was spun directly into the fox's arms -- but, by the time she had been spun back to him, she was determined not to give him the pleasure of seeing her upset.  Again.

And so she turned up her nose and continued the dance.

"I think we already tried that."