Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Triple Chocolate Cake

Started by zozee9, November 11, 2013, 02:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozee9

OOC: This Thread has come from: The Dessert Table. See Rules of the Table before joining! Thanks!

----

Illi entered the study and felt as if she must have died and gone to heaven. There was no way a place could be so perfect. No way.

Books were lined all of the walls in both the first and the second—yes, the second—floor, with the exception of where there were bookcase gaps to display oil paintings. A balcony railing spun around the second floor and the exquisite staircase that ran up to it also, as fate had it, doubled as a bookshelf. The seating arrangement in the middle of the room looked as if they would be as comfortable as clouds, and Illi was definitely planning on seeing if that theory was try. Looking straight up (which strained her neck it was so high), she saw a fragile chandelier on top of it all, as if it was the icing on top of the cake.

In fact, the sight of it was so overwhelming that Illi actually forgot her initial purpose for coming. But after a few deep breaths to calm herself down, she quickly went to work. Any other person probably would have needed a full time librarian to find specific books. But Illi was no ordinary person when it came to libraries. She quickly figured out how the books were organized and went about searching for a few very specific books. Those books were non-fiction books that would make a person feel inspiration like none other. Books that changed one's view on life simply by reading them.

Luckily for her, it seemed like she was the only person in the library. So she quietly hummed as she zipped around looking for books and creating two stacks: one for the books she was actually looking for, and one for the books that looked intriguing and she'd have to read some other time.

----

Illi has also come from: A Slice of Lemon Pie
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

visualspice

Davishire thought he'd be safe in the study. Only a few couples had dare gone in there for a private rendez-vous, and upon hearing them, Lord Davishire sneered and made his way towards one of the back shook shelves in the room. He wasn't looking for anything in particular, but a place to fall asleep in quiet...
and as luck would have it, the place was big enough he found a shadowy corner there in a leather  arm chair and soon, was dozing away, his big form appearing still in the dark shadows.... like a hibernating wolf.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Avery Carwick had not been particularly looking forward to this occasion. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy social engagements in general, but this one was proving particularly bothersome. First of all, he hadn't wanted to leave his military company for a fancy soiree. It was bad for morale. But the Duke and Duchess of Wulfbauer had made it very clear that they expected him to come, especially since they were not. He didn't entirely blame them. Both of them, but particularly Caroline, had avoided social occasions since Constance had been taken to the mage camps. That was years ago, and the strain of not hearing from her only daughter hadn't treated the duchess well. So making an appearance in their stead was, Avery supposed, the least he could do. But now with all the rumors of uprisings in the camps, mages breaking out and forming guerilla bands...

Second of all, both the duke and the duchess were making it increasingly clear that Avery needed to find himself a wife. And there were few places more terrifying to be a bachelor than at a large ball full of match-makers. At least he'd been able to bring Bryony, who was quite excited about the evening. She'd been swept away shortly after they arrived, though. Avery, meanwhile, had been put through the ringer: first by middle aged women suggesting one girl after the other that he just had to meet. And was already spending far more of his time than he'd like trying to separate Constance's name from the mage camp rumors. Turns out everyone was interested in that subject. (He was glad, though, that Caroline hadn't come.)

When a break in the conversation finally opened, Avery took the opportunity to slip away. He needed a break. At least for a little while! So he poured himself a double whiskey and headed for somewhere devoid of people to catch his breath. That's what lead him to the study. When he entered, however, he found it not empty. He didn't see the sleeping form of Davenshire, but he immediately caught sight of the young woman methodically organizing books.

"Sorry, am I interrupting? Is this respite zone already spoken for?"

((P.S. I couldn't figure out how to work it into the post, but he's dressed as an oak man. Think leafy mask and smart brown and green clothes and such. In my defense, it's after my bedtime!))

zozee9

Caught up in her own work, Illi did not hear a word Avery said, much less even know he was there. She did, however, notice how high her piles of books were starting to stack up (mostly the pile of books she wanted to read). So she picked about ten of the books up and turned around. While she was no longer able to see due to the height of the book tower, Illi remembered how to get to the middle of the room where she planned on stashing the books.

However, she hadn't been planning on a person being behind her.

So after just a few tentative steps in her heels, Illi ran straight into Avery and fell backwards onto her back. The books somehow managed to mostly land on her, causing a great deal of pain to her stomach. Oddly enough, this wasn't the first time she had this problem.

Illi gently pushed the books off of her and onto the ground before sitting up. Then she nodded her head down in replacement of a bow and apologized, "Sorry about that... tree man?" What a strange costume he had on.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

visualspice

The tumbling of books was enough to rouse the sleeping wolf as he growled back into the world of the wake  And he slowly opened one eye and peered out into the darkness. Straining his ears, and tried to listen to see- was someone in trouble? Or was it just that couple from earlier fooling around?
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

kleineklementine

Avery waited politely a moment for the young woman's response. When it seemed clear that she hadn't heard him, he opened his mouth to speak again but just then Jillian stepped backwards and tumbled into him before he had any time to react. All Avery could do was act as a cushion for her fall, for she landed directly on top of him. The combined weight of the girl and the books was enough to make him issue a small, "oof."

The only other sound was the short, heavy tumbler glass rolling across the floor. Avery had it in hand when he entered and it had been holding a tall whiskey. Whiskey which was now on the front of Avery's shirt.

Once Jillian had picked herself up into a sitting position, Avery followed suit, leaving them arrayed awfully close to each other on the floor for strangers! He carefully removed  and stacked the odd couple of books that had landed on him, or that had been pushed onto him when Jillian got up. Avery gave a little laugh and a small, lopsided smile at her question. Realizing quite how close they were, he leaned back, propped up by his arms to put a slightly more respectable amount of space between them. But he didn't get up quite yet. Actually, he wasn't sure he could get up just yet with Jillian still pining down one of his legs!

"'Tree man?'" he echoed. "That's a bit rich coming from the High Queen Librarian here. This is some impressive bit of rearranging you've done here," he looked appreciatively around at the piles of books now on the floor. "Cataloguing?" He gave her another grin, adding in reference to his whiskey-soaked shirt, "I'm going to smell like an awful lush now, you know."

zozee9

Illi blushed in response to his laugh... tree man?! Why would she guess tree man?! Obviously he thought she was ridiculous. And now that she got a better view, he was kind of cute... whatever he was. But when he moved backwards, her eyes dropped the the whiskey stain now on his shirt.

With one hand over her mouth and the other weakly pointing at the stain, Illi inwardly went frantic. She didn't even notice what he was saying or the fact that she was sitting on his leg. Instead she noticed how the stain was spreading and spreading and spreading...

"Oh my gosh I am so sorry I don't know what I was thinking I should have been paying more attention," she finally blurted, speaking faster than she ever knew was possible. "Oh goodness gracious we should get you a new shirt... my god that is the second time this has happened..." She moved both her hands to cover her face and shook her head, as if it would make the problem disappear. It didn't. "You know what... maybe I can get you a new shirt. I have a slew of brothers here today that might have something extra. Since all the costumes seem to be five layers, anyway." She paused to take a breath. "Or one of my sisters might be able to get that stain out, actually. Do you want me to take your shirt?"

Illi gave no thought as to what it would look like if he was shirtless and they were sitting on the ground as close as they were.

visualspice

It didn't take a genius to figure out that Jillian Treyburn, the 'Queen' he met from earlier, was the one causing a fuss. And although, he had been annoyed by the girl, to hear her in distress forced him from his leather sitting chair as he stalked over towards the desk she had, as he found, much to his surprise, had created a few tower of books- which, half of them were now on the floor and she and another young man, in a similar predicament of distress.

Really, was this woman so treacherous on her feet? And noting the way she was making a big deal about the stain made his lips curl back a bit (which sadly, was something sort of a grin, or close to it, for him,..) as he recalled his own plight when she 'killed' him earlier with a wine stain.

He was still off to the side, observing the situation with sniff to his nose before he removed a kerchief from his pocket and tossed it down at the pair.

"Another victim of the Queen of Aerona, I see."
His face, if it was meant to be a joke, appeared to be as well hidden as it ever did, his voice, almost growling like the animal he was dressed as as he offered the kerchief to the gentleman, then with another frustrated sigh, a hand to help the lady.

"I do believe, my Queen, that removing one's clothes in public is not usual protocol for a masked ball..." he also reminded. My, what a silly girl she was!

kleineklementine

Avery tried to assure the lady several times that it was really alright and she didn't need to worry herself so much, but he couldn't quite manage to get a word in edge-wise. But he opened and closed his mouth several times in his attempts, before finally closing it and waiting patiently for her to finish and finally gave a good-natured laugh at her suggestion that he remove his shirt. Her flustered countenance was really rather endearing.

"Oh, I don't think that's –"

But before he could finish his sentence, the Wolf arrived. Avery looked up to see the unmistakable form of Lord Davishire Callister. Wolf costume aside, Avery had yet to meet another man of Davishire's... stature. Avery was acquainted with the man and though it would be incorrect to say that he disliked him, it would perhaps be equally incorrect to call them 'friends.'

"Lord Davishire," he greeted, inclining his head politely to the man. "What a pleasure to see you again. But I'm sure 'victim' is a little uncalled for, though."

Turning his attention back to Jillian, he assured her, "It really isn't nearly so bad. It's a brown shirt and once it dries you won't see a thing. And if, upon smelling me, people will think I've had a bit too much to drink... Well, I'm sure greater misfortune has befallen me before." He paused a beat and shifted his weight before continuing, with a smile, "I think chivalry would normally dictate that I help you up now, but I'm afraid I'm... ah... not quite in the position to do so."

visualspice

Davishire's only response was a glare- and it was hard to tell if he even bothered to nod his head in acknowledgement, but as the man sputtered on to the woman about how the situation was ok, he found himself sweating grumpily beneath his costume as his hand was ignored, and was half tempted to take his offered hand to the girl, away. But then again, would it be just as awkward to remove it after it was extended? Besides, it seemed this snarky Lord Avery wanted to play the hero.

How typical.

zozee9

Illi looked up at Davishire as he spoke, her face getting more and more red. He was clever, admittingly, but she didn't enjoy his snarky words directed at her. Her eyes wandered the the ground in shame as she realized his comment about the clothes was correct. She would have gotten so much teasing from her siblings if they had heard that...

But as Avery began to speak again, she looked back up at him. He was charming, really, she realized with a start. A true gentleman. She laughed at his comment about greater misfortune and waited for him to finish before replying, with her first true smile since she arrived at the ball, "You're a sweetie!"

Then before either of the two gentleman around her could react, she accepted Davishire's extended hand and carefully pulled herself up as to not stop on Avery. She threw him a smile, too, in hopes of making his depressing mood better. Then she let go of his hand and, while leaning over slightly, extended her own hand to Avery. "Your majesty," she replied, unsuccessfully trying to keep a straight face. "May I help you up... though whatever foolishness caused you to lie on the floor is unbeknownst to me."

visualspice

Davishire felt his nostril's burn a little as a brow twitched and he looked around. Great, he had ran into another pair of lovers. Keeping his back to them, he kept his interests on the pile of books, and began to realize, after some time of examining them...
most of these were books full of historical mythos, legends and fantasies.
What was she doing collecting all of these things? He only spared one glance back at the lovers before rolling his eyes and stepping away so as to give Avery enough room to stand.

kleineklementine

Seemed like Davishire was going to be just as warm and charming as he always was. Inwardly, Avery gave an exasperated sigh and wondered just what the man had to prove. Or who put the giant chip on Davishire's shoulder.

He adverted his eyes respectfully as Jillian was helped up to avoid the appearance of getting an inappropriate views of the girl. But he took her hand when she offered it and got back to his feet. "You're right," he agreed, imitating her affected speech, "I don't know what came over me. Very foolish indeed!"

Once he was up, he looked back to the brooding figure of Davishire. He was sure the man with his back to them was physically lowering the temperature of the room. Then something clicked. Perhaps the broody Lord of Wellspeer's icy demeanor and Jillian's flustered one. But then, why had the girl been stacking books? Well, you never know what some people...

"Sorry," he asked lightly and semi-diplomatically, "I'm not interrupting, am I? I'd hate to crash your book club."

visualspice

Interrupt?
The word almost snapped out from his jaws, but instead, it actually startled the taller man as his broad shoulder bumped into a leaning tower of books, and down it went, as he flinched while the heavy books toppled all over his feet.

Then his scowl came and fiery eyes were set to Avery before he grumbled and bent over to clean up his own mess, and also, some of Jilli and Avery's...

zozee9

Illi squealed as the books fell, her eyes wide yet again. So many books on the floor! And now they were all mixing together! How was she supposed to know which ones were the ones for Davishire and which ones were the ones for herself? Scratch that, she knew based on the title. But still! What if she pages got bent? They weren't even her own books!

"No!" Illi demanded. "Leave them down! I'll pick them up!" After all, she had to organize them. Getting back on the ground and on her knees, Illi started piling them up again like they had been before.

Until she had a realization.

If some of the books were for Davishire anyway, why didn't she just show them to him? "Aha!" Illi let out with a smile. "Davishire, remember what you told me earlier?" She stopped organizing the books and instead looked at him, her eagerness clear in her eyes.

visualspice

As Davishire worked at the books, his furrowed brows were now focused on Illi.
"Don't be stubborn. The books can not remain on the floor!" he said, his voice rising a bit, as if readying for a roar. "Some of these are antiques, and if the pages become torn, then the Devil with them!" and he scooped them up anyways but at her question...
he shot another glare her way, but said nothing-
and if she would have noticed.. he WAS actually organizing them... but in his own manner, of course.
History books naturally... belonged with other history books..
and he was being rather delicate with those of antiquity, of course! (and selected them first, out of the mess)

kleineklementine

"Oh," Avery said, presumably to himself. The Mute Lord Callister's jumpy response and the eager look in Jillian's eyes as she smiled about 'what he had told her before'  was really all the answer he needed. He was a bit torn about the mess that had been made but, as he began to back out of the room, he was a bit concerned that it was some part of whatever the two were up to. And that certainly had nothing to do with him! "Right, then. I'll just..."

Still, the harsh tone in Callister's voice gave him some pause, but by that point he was already in the doorway.

zozee9

Davishire's will to protect the books way overweighed the fact that he was being snippy.

That was why she was interested in him in the first place. He knew who she was dressed up as... and now she learned that he loved books as much as she did? It was just so perfect! Well, ignoring his attitude. But maybe he just hated balls. Without even realizing it, a wide smile had spread all across her face.

She looked at Avery long enough to say, "No, stay! I don't see why there would be any reason for you to leave. Maybe this will interest you, as well." But then she returned her gaze to Davishire, since he was the one she had been planning this entire thing for, anyway.

"Sit," Illi commanded, though she planned to continue on whether he listened or not. Then she found one of the books she had picked out for him and handed it over.

"This is the story of an orphan girl. She starved most of her life and was often beaten by the other kids. But when she grew up, her entire life changed around. She learned that she was actually cast away from her family of nobles who had strong sexism against girls. But it turned out that they never had any boys, so when they died, she got all of their land and power. She never had to worry about her own life again, and she used her own experiences to influence the public to change their policies on orphans," Jana explained. Then, in case he hadn't already figured it out, she finished, "This was a true story."

Unless she was interrupted, she planned on giving a summary like that for all of the books. Which, if she remembered correctly, were fifteen of the fifty lying around.

kleineklementine

"Oh no, I couldn't," Avery responded politely, but his expression was still a bit bemused. This was rather a strange scene! But whatever was going on, he felt fairly confident that he'd be rather the third wheel. As much fun as spiting Davishire might be, Avery was too well mannered for that.

Though he doubt she heard it, so preoccupied with her storytelling and - Avery felt a little jealous, or maybe disappointed by this - Davishire, he said a short, "It was lovely meeting you, Queen Librarian. I hope we run into each other again."

Avery paused for a moment in the doorway as Jillian launched into her story, shook his head to himself that somehow Davishire had ensnared such a lovely girl, and left the library.

Exit to Spumoni etc.

visualspice

At the irrevocable command of 'Sit', Lord Davishire's eyes actually went wide, and his face, normally wearing a darkened scowl, actually showed most obvious surprise.
Did this woman just command him to... sit? Blinking, he wrinkled his nose irritable as he felt one of his wolf ears wilt. He used a large finger to prod it back up, and after digesting in the mouthfuls of this Queen's words, he found himself growling silently beneath his breath which came out a little in his goodbye to Lord Avery.

"Good night, Lord Carwick."

But then his attention was back to her.

What was he to do with a thing like that? So deep winded in books and stories? Though it seemed she might be trying his patience, in truth, he just did not know what to do with her! Ironically enough, he never had to deal with such a woman before- bold and intelligent, yes, though bubbly like the wretched rest of her specie. Even still, the first two qualities ignited a curiosity within him that could not be shaken as he blinked and stared down at her- but hardly obeyed.

"Be careful with those!" he snapped, after a time, seeing her so eager with the pages. "That book is over one-hundred years old and if you're not careful you could tear a page from it!"

He tried to balance the book he now 'saved' from her (well- tehcnically she just gave it to him...) as he cast her a glare and leaned his quickly growing pile of books against his barrel chest with a sigh.

"And I am aware of that story, Lady... Treyburn." he began a bit more civily, and... feeling the need to add her name in there, just to remind her.. this was not a fantasy, and although he played with the idea before, she- not a Queen! She couldn't just flounce around and possibly destroy these books just because she wanted to tell him a story!- for only god knows why! For he truly was more worried about the antiquities than her little story as he gave a chuff, and moved to carefully set all of the history books down upon the table.

Taking the kerchief nobody had used, he now dabbed at the sweat collecting across his brow.
"And I don't need to be reminded on that history lesson, Lady Treyburn," he said, now rising from where he had been hunched over the table and looked at her. "For I'm well aware and shamed already enough by the Callister family name to have that story brought up again!"

Did she really not know it was his great-great-great-Uncle who had done such a thing? He knew his family's history more than most and well- if she did not know it, he had just admitted it to her now! And his father and mother all bragged about all of the stories- even the horrible ones. They were so vain it made his blood broil, and it was evident in his stance that that's what was happening now!

"And what is the point in all of this, Lady Treyburn? You've dragged out all of these books that should have been kept well guarded in their hiding places upon the shelves to only have them become poor victims of your fallen drinks?"

Really, did she not realize she could have harmed them!? He picked one up now, brushing off  few small droplets of water that had spilled on it, using the fur on his costume's sleeve before he sighed and glanced up at her again, placing this book, too, beside the rest and...
ironcically, keeping the books in some sort of his own order..
After all, she wasn't the only one with a bit of an obsessive compulsion to keep things arranged!